Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

SouthsideSaint posted:

This is one amazing garage that only gets better. Also its clear you need to get a HF 44" toolbox to help fill empty space. It would fit perfect between the craftsmans.

Super glad you said HF. I have a thing against designer toolboxes. What a dang waste of money, in my humble opinion.

I was gonna go on a diatribe about never paying more than $400 for a toolbox but I just looked up the one you're talking about and it's $390...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
well with the coupon it could be had for 350. 400$ for a toolbox of that size isn't to ludicrous. But I too laugh when my boss tells me about his 10,000 matco toolbox. Or when the old journeyman tech at my dealership bought a 10,000 dollar snap on then retired three weeks later......

Edit: people who also pay full price for name brand are dumb. THeres so many times I walk into the local pawn shop and it has a GIGANTIC snap on nascar toolbox for 2000.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A garage with climate control (lolmaybe) a lift, and hard-plumbed shop air.

That's the trifecta. You've arrived. Enjoy it.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I have a friend with a big two bay shop. He uses one window air conditioner in the summer time just to keep the humidity down, which makes it entirely tolerable. Looks like a great shop set up you've got.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Adiabatic posted:

Super glad you said HF. I have a thing against designer toolboxes. What a dang waste of money, in my humble opinion.

I was gonna go on a diatribe about never paying more than $400 for a toolbox but I just looked up the one you're talking about and it's $390...

http://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signature%E2%84%A2-42%22-Mobile-16-Drawer-Tool-Chest.product.100148149.html

Goes on sale for $100 less at the stores pretty often so you don't have to pay the shipping cost. Next time it does I am picking one up. I am so jealous of your shop...

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

El Jebus posted:

http://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signature%E2%84%A2-42%22-Mobile-16-Drawer-Tool-Chest.product.100148149.html

Goes on sale for $100 less at the stores pretty often so you don't have to pay the shipping cost. Next time it does I am picking one up. I am so jealous of your shop...

Are those any good? Last time I saw one I played around with it a bit, and the drawers seemed pretty flimsy and the rollers weren't too great.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Raluek posted:

Are those any good? Last time I saw one I played around with it a bit, and the drawers seemed pretty flimsy and the rollers weren't too great.

I remember reading a lot of negative reviews on toolbox forums.
The drawers ARE pretty flimsy, but it's way cheaper than buying a snap-on.

:ninja: edit: also the drawers are sort of odd heights and that door is stupid.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
My garage is full of spiders and rodents :(

But at least I have one now, too bad the property owner won't help fix the holes the rats are using to get in...

leica posted:

Lol is that a gang tag?

Yep.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Sir Tonk posted:

But at least I have one now, too bad the property owner won't help fix the holes the rats are using to get in...

Fill holes full of steel wool, then spray foam that poo poo in. Works fairly well. Also, profuse amounts of poison (unless you have pets, then find a safer method).

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

My garage is full of spiders and rodents :(

I don't have the rodent problem, but I should post pictures of the insane amount of spiders in there. I get bit on my feet all the time and no amount of bug spray will keep them gone.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I remember reading a lot of negative reviews on toolbox forums.
The drawers ARE pretty flimsy, but it's way cheaper than buying a snap-on.

:ninja: edit: also the drawers are sort of odd heights and that door is stupid.

From what I can tell, the drawers are decent but the casters suck. The door seems to get the most complaints by people wondering what they would put in it. I thought the drawers are as good as the Matco benches at school, but I haven't loaded the Costco box full of tools and tested it (because I don't have one yet). For $500 I'll get it and post a review here next time it is on sale.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Adiabatic posted:

I don't have the rodent problem, but I should post pictures of the insane amount of spiders in there. I get bit on my feet all the time and no amount of bug spray will keep them gone.

Permethrin will kill them, and lasts a while. DO NOT USE it if you have cats, or your neighbor cats come and visit. It's fine for larger dogs, so long as you don't spray them directly. It's only dangerous when wet. I use it around the house, and around the garage doors, does a drat good job.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Holy crap I was away for the summer and things look awesome now that I have caught up on the thread. Garage is looking amazing.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Adiabatic posted:

I use a big fan to blow away the mosquitos, I live directly on the bayou in Houston, but yeah that doesn't work for spiders. Any time I leave a car parked for more than a week it's covered in spider webs when I drive it again. Oh and the fire ants try to invade every season as well, but they're not that hard to deal with comparatively.

sharkytm posted:

Permethrin will kill them, and lasts a while. DO NOT USE it if you have cats, or your neighbor cats come and visit. It's fine for larger dogs, so long as you don't spray them directly. It's only dangerous when wet. I use it around the house, and around the garage doors, does a drat good job.

Gonna try this, thanks.

Siochain posted:

Fill holes full of steel wool, then spray foam that poo poo in. Works fairly well. Also, profuse amounts of poison (unless you have pets, then find a safer method).

That's pretty clever. I've got a carport area covering the two spaces in front of the garage and there's attic above that that is absolutely covered in rat and probably raccoon poo poo. I still need to get up there and clean it all out, but after watching that episode of Nature on raccoons I'm kinda paranoid. Once that area is cleaned and covered in poison it'll hopefully help normalize the smell...

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I love it and I unironically want one.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

OH GOD ITS COMING TOGETHER

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

sharkytm posted:

Seriously, don't even use Permethrin if you even think you might have a stray cat nearby. The stuff is toxic as poo poo to them.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

CommieGIR posted:

Seriously, don't even use Permethrin if you even think you might have a stray cat nearby. The stuff is toxic as poo poo to them.

You gotta laugh at the attitude difference between countries- the fact its amazingly toxic to stray cats probably just gave aussies a bunch of ideas.

MrsAdiabatic
Feb 26, 2015

Gotta get up to get Down's
Wow, that is starting to look nice. The gently caress took so long though?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

You do work for the government...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

MrsAdiabatic posted:

Wow, that is starting to look nice. The gently caress took so long though?

Adiabatic posted:

You do work for the government...

You two are so cute. :glomp:

MrsAdiabatic
Feb 26, 2015

https://youtu.be/NecQolGJB2s
Disregard women, devour cocks

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

MrsAdiabatic posted:

That's really coming together. I like the choice to use wood on the wall above the countertop .

Are you going to close up the garage door end of the garage too? I'd think that'll help keep heat in, plus you don't run the risk of having to deal with fiberglass falling out.

Are you going to finish the surface of the drywall you put up? I personally dislike the how the paper discolors over time a lot.

I might have missed it too, but how did you mount the vice to keep it secure? Or is it just so heavy that it's own weight keeps it secure?

MrsAdiabatic
Feb 26, 2015

Mat_Drinks posted:

Are you going to close up the garage door end of the garage too? I'd think that'll help keep heat in, plus you don't run the risk of having to deal with fiberglass falling out.

Kinda up to OP. I'm gone for a year, but I think that's in the eventual plan for the sake of completion.

Mat_Drinks posted:

Are you going to finish the surface of the drywall you put up? I personally dislike the how the paper discolors over time a lot.

Ideally it will be primed, but given how much temperature change is going on there, mudding is probably not the correct choice given the imperfect vapor barrier.

Mat_Drinks posted:

I might have missed it too, but how did you mount the vice to keep it secure? Or is it just so heavy that it's own weight keeps it secure?

The vice is bolted through the countertop, which is glued and screwed onto the base, which are bolted to the wall. I was worried about it tipping, so I went a bit overkill on securing it all down. Speaking of overkill, I tested the drawers. Two will hold me up, true to the 100lb rating on the sliders.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Oh man I would get so much poo poo done in that garage.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Mat_Drinks posted:

Definitely on the agenda.

Mat_Drinks posted:

I will be priming it per wifey's recommendation.

Next up, aside from the hardware and paint on the cabinets, is the Sneep. Poor thing needs suspension, and a lot of it.

Finally gonna focus on the MR2 and the Comanche again afterwards, with some time slotted for the BMW as well.

This is all contingent on the mictrocomputer class not kicking my rear end, but I may post up some neat-o stuff I do there as well.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Give me a shout if you need a hand for wrenching or whatever.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

Terrible Robot posted:

Give me a shout if you need a hand for wrenching or whatever.

Likewise. Call me crazy but the 4.5 hour drive down there isn't bad and I don't mind it.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

MrsAdiabatic posted:

Finally watched this hahahaha

"And Jormungandr the World Serpent"
__/
:what:

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
I keep forgetting to tell you but get me a pic of the plate with the model/serial on the back of the broken glass front cooler so I've got some info and next time I'm down there I'll get it running for you.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

iForge posted:

I keep forgetting to tell you but get me a pic of the plate with the model/serial on the back of the broken glass front cooler so I've got some info and next time I'm down there I'll get it running for you.

YEAHHHHHHHHHHSSSSSSSSSS.
She will live again!

It's probably not a tough fix. It was running not long before I gave it up. I came out one hot day to grab a beer and the door was propped open and the fridge was running (thanks roommate). It hasn't gotten cold since. The motor still runs, it just doesn't get cold.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Current state of the back wall:

Sneep parts that need to be installed:

The best part, which was not featured in the video:

iForge posted:

Nameplate and serial number work?

The wife's out on a year-long vacation to Qatar, and he left me with a parting Honey-Do list:

"Suggestions, because striving for perfection is the German thing to do" :3:

Miss him already.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Also, thinking a dark red for the faces with a dark grey on the frames. Like this:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Yes, do the red/grey - god drat that is loving sexy.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Adiabatic posted:

Also, thinking a dark red for the faces with a dark grey on the frames. Like this:

That looks really sharp. I say go for it.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Hell yeah. That's the color then. New girlfriend's gonna help out with priming/painting and also yard landscaping!

Bringing the list back. Close to crossing off a couple more!

Adiabatic posted:

Finish the dumb Comanche heater core why haven't I finished this it will literally take an hour
Finish the dumb garage cabinets why haven't I finished this
Build a drain for the garage entry pad
Finish my chain link fence project behind the garage
Get the front and back yard looking respectable
Rearrange/clean up the garage
Dump/megaburn the pile of poo poo in the backyard
Get the BMW idling
Get the BMW's exhaust welded
Get the BMW's interior manageable
Get the BMW out of my life for good
Work on the wood tools and get them operational
-----Drill Press
-----Table Saw
-----Joiner
-----Radial Arm Saw
-----Band Saw
Do something about that nasty rear end shed Leaving it
Fix the megafucked gate to the backyard
Dig, prep, and hire concrete layers for a driveway from the gate to the garage - Gonna make it gravel
Engine-From-Hell Coffee Table
SV-650 front tube seals/brakes/tire
Fix the grill
Fix the overheating problem with the Comanche

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Adiabatic posted:

Daaamn that's going to look sharp as hell.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Gravel isn't so awful. The only thing that sucks is it still needs to be graded to allow drainage other wise its just going to sink like a dirty whore. My moms driveway always needs an a couple dump truck loads every 2 years.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Gravel isn't so awful. The only thing that sucks is it still needs to be graded to allow drainage other wise its just going to sink like a dirty whore. My moms driveway always needs an a couple dump truck loads every 2 years.

Unless you're filling in a pit or are on a slope, it doesn't need to be graded, just compacted.

1. Clear area/grade if necessary
2. Dump X amount of 3" Minus Sub-Base
3. water the poo poo out of it and vibration compact it
4. put 3/4" Clear crush on top for that awesome gravel sound/drainage.

Never touch it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Its a giant slope. I really need to get a picture, winters are loving hell.