Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Well, I got my first soulbound weapon (the greatsword), and so now I'm off to download the beta patch. I want to grab the Stormcaller as well before leveling up, but I haven't had much luck finding it and at level 5 I'm blowing all of my per rests per fight (thankfully there's only big fights and no trash so far) so exploring is very time consuming. I'll just have to come back later I think, because those fish men are drat near impossible for me at this level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

moot the hopple posted:

RE: Durance - Bump his mechanics up and his seal spells will crit

I've been bumping up his Lore aggressively and my PC Rogue is the Mechanics guy.. How does a skill designed to unlock things cause a spell to crit? I'm confused.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

binarysmurf posted:

I've been bumping up his Lore aggressively and my PC Rogue is the Mechanics guy.. How does a skill designed to unlock things cause a spell to crit? I'm confused.

Mechanics adds accuracy to traps which all priest seal spells are. Seal of repulsion is a pretty sweet spell.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The Seal spells count as traps, Mechanics buffs traps.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

binarysmurf posted:

Mechanics increases the accuracy of traps and there are a few Priest spells that count as traps.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
It was probably never intended but they don't seem to be fixing it so yeah.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Seals are kinda weak otherwise since they don't get the +10/+15 accuracy buff that other offensive spells get by default.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
For leveling up the greatsword, does second chance, from the ring of wonder or Edér's armor count towards the five times revived in combat?

Edit: Not sure why I didn't just check myself; it does.

drgnvale fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Sep 1, 2015

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

binarysmurf posted:

I personally feel Lore isn't that great on spell caster classes (unless it's your main character, if you wanted some more dialogue options) because they've already got their own arsenal of spells and they'll be more than busy firing them all off once you get the per encounter uses. I guess a case can be made for having Lore on Ciphers since it'll give them some arcane power to fall back on if they hit a string of misses and can't generate focus, but I like having Lore mainly on my melee guys because it gives them added versatility on top of their auto-attack and it's easier to aim scrolls like fan of flames on the frontlines.

Pre-1.05 buff, a high lore and intellect was the saving grace for my paladin. I just made him an item monkey in combat and he eventually did cool stuff like paralyze an entire battlefield of enemies for ~20 seconds from one use of scroll of paralysis.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I think the Temple of Eothas was wonderful and one of the best aspects of the starting areas of PoE. I don't think games like this need to telegraph everything or have a "smooth" difficulty curve, I think it's completely fine to have areas early on that will just stomp you when you drop into them. The biggest issue is if there is no autosave (and besides, one should be quicksaving like mad in these games). To me it makes the game-world feel more dangerous and it just helps with the atmosphere. One of my main "nostalgia moments" from Baldur's Gate is the wilderness music which is on one hand explorative and beautiful, yet it brings a certain sense of dread when I listen to it because I remember the excitement and fear that I would run into something that would stomp me. I loved that.

I wish there were a few more areas like that in the game, especially in Defiance Bay.

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
I think my game might be missing an item. Does someone know where the Sigil of the Sword in the Durgan's Battery mines is supposed to be?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Hollismason posted:

i guess only way to figure it out is to buy it from Steam. I think they do returns. Somehow or something not sure. I'll figure it out. Yeah. Shadowrun runs perfectly fine. I have basically a low end PC I use for email, netflix. So not much on the graphics department.

Yes Steam will refund games no question asked if you played it less than 2 hours and bought it less than a week or so before.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
Thanks to those who gave me some input on my Mechanics question. :) I just found this thread a few days ago and I've picked up some good knowledge, so thanks.

I'm on my second playthrough. My first crew with a (PC Monk) have already hit level cap before end-game, so I'm waiting for TWM to appear in the Mac App Store so I can then complete the game and get the extra XP before I hit TWM. :)

My second playthrough I'm running a rogue and I've paused that party at level 5 at exactly the point where I've cleared every quest/task/and side quest of Act I. I'm waiting for the 2.0 patch to drop in the MAS so I can respec. I'll definitely bump up Durance's mechanics skill.

I really liked the Bear cave, and while I was getting fisted initially in the Temple of Eothas, level 2 I actually think it's quite a good way to ingrain caution into the player. You never quite know what you're walking into so it keeps you on your toes. E.g. Ogre Druids/Zolla, and those loving feral druids as well.

My only real nitpick with the game is the lack of XP per kill. I spent about 8 hours real-time going through about 75% of the epic dungeon under the Stronghold. I got some nice loot, but comparatively little XP. It would have been much more satisfying to go up a level or two as well, especially given the time invested and amount of powerful creatures you kill.

Anyway, just some thoughts. I'll definitely pick up both DLC packs, and quite possibly POE2.

binarysmurf fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Sep 1, 2015

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

binarysmurf posted:

I really liked the Bear cave, and while I was getting fisted initially in the Temple of Eothas, level 2 I actually think it's quite a good way to ingrain caution into the player. You never quite know what you're talking into so it keeps you on your toes. E.g. Ogre Druids/Zolla, and those loving feral druids as well.

I think the Temple is one of the hardest things in the game and it's entirely because of teleporting enemies.

The new level 14 area also has teleporting enemies and it's an enormous arse because it essentially means I have to rest more often to stop them killing Aloth.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

binarysmurf posted:

My first crew with a (PC Monk) have already hit level cap before end-game, so I'm waiting for TWM to appear in the Mac App Store so I can then complete the game and get the extra XP before I hit TWM. :)

If I'm reading you right, you won't be able to do this, TWM-content happens before the endgame.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

Nycticeius posted:

If I'm reading you right, you won't be able to do this, TWM-content happens before the endgame.

Cool.. I'll go back and do TWM scaled up to my level THEN do the end game. That should be cool, yes?

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

binarysmurf posted:

Cool.. I'll go back and do TWM scaled up to my level THEN do the end game. That should be cool, yes?

Yeah, that'd work - though you might not get full advantage of the new soulbound weapons, but hey, that's what other playthroughs are for.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Is there a projected date for part 2?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Taear posted:

I think the Temple is one of the hardest things in the game and it's entirely because of teleporting enemies.

Not just teleporting enemies, enemies that teleport and then summon copies of themselves.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

Nycticeius posted:

though you might not get full advantage of the new soulbound weapons, but hey, that's what other playthroughs are for.

That's EXACTLY why I have a crew parked at level 5 at the end of Act 1. Sagani wants that Soulbound hunting bow. Badly.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Jesus, those Lagufaeth don't gently caress around on max level-scaled PotD. Just initial contact is a massive damage burst before you can land any buff on your tank. I'm definitively glad I took Lay on Hands, gently caress the haters.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

Azuth0667 posted:

Is there a projected date for part 2?

I think I saw either Winter or early 2016 thrown around somewhere, but not entirely sure. But it'd make sense given the time it took for part 1.

I'm really liking the White March. I think the one thing that I still dislike though is the sheer combat heaviness of certain areas. I get that it's supposed to be a combat-heavy game but there are so many encounters in some places that it just starts to feel like busywork. For example Galvino's laboratory. There is no real sense of exploring or uncovering a mystery there since every goddamn room has a group of enemies to dispatch. It gets so goddamn tedious after a while, it really could've been cut down a lot and condense into fewer but more varied/harder encounters. Give us some breathing room. This goes for a lot of the areas in the expansion.
I did love some of the things in there though. Some very dangerous traps and letting that one dangerous spirit loose felt like I was back in the IE days.

The new encounters that have the more "handcrafted feel" to them are great and very challenging and drat fun to play. I just wish there was less of the "kinda challenging but mostly fatiguing" stuff in between.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Leinadi posted:

I think the Temple of Eothas was wonderful and one of the best aspects of the starting areas of PoE. I don't think games like this need to telegraph everything or have a "smooth" difficulty curve, I think it's completely fine to have areas early on that will just stomp you when you drop into them. The biggest issue is if there is no autosave (and besides, one should be quicksaving like mad in these games). To me it makes the game-world feel more dangerous and it just helps with the atmosphere. One of my main "nostalgia moments" from Baldur's Gate is the wilderness music which is on one hand explorative and beautiful, yet it brings a certain sense of dread when I listen to it because I remember the excitement and fear that I would run into something that would stomp me. I loved that.

I wish there were a few more areas like that in the game, especially in Defiance Bay.

The party should just have feedback if they are really underleveled. If my guy said oh gently caress a bear and got mauled it wouldn't be surprising. Would also be funny.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Leinadi posted:

I think I saw either Winter or early 2016 thrown around somewhere, but not entirely sure.
Winter is mentioned on Steam and I believe GOG, early 2016 was mentioned in some german magazine a little bit before the release.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

There really should be an option to react properly to Galvino's operation of kidnapping and performing human experimentation on bandits and vagrants. That dungeon is insanely messed up and then you just turn up and ask him about how to get past a door and neither party really seems to care about where you are and what he's doing. I was tempted just to kill him outright but as it wasn't a scripted option I was wary of breaking any future quest scripting. What the heck was up with that?

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 1, 2015

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
So just picked up a load of stuff and it didn't go into my inventory... what?

Quantics
Mar 16, 2015

Chipp Zanuff posted:

It's a known bug.

Brandon Adler said there's a retroactive fix coming soon (hopefully this week).

The beta 2.0.1 patch is out today actually, you can give it a try now if you like.

EDIT: full patch notes here http://forums.obsidian.net/blog/7/entry-187-update-notes-201/

Quantics fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 1, 2015

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Edit: ^^^that too.

Chipp Zanuff posted:

When picking up items if you have the chest selected, items will go straight to stash. Check there.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Quantics posted:

It's a known bug.

Brandon Adler said there's a retroactive fix coming soon (hopefully this week).

The beta 2.0.1 patch is out today actually, you can give it a try now if you like.

EDIT: full patch notes here http://forums.obsidian.net/blog/7/entry-187-update-notes-201/

I jumped on this patch because I wanted an easier time leveling the redeemer, and it sure was easy. But now none of the popup dialog boxes have buttons for me to click; instead there's a wood panel at the bottom of the box with no text, and I can usually click there to close the box. Kinda annoying, but it was probably worth it to see the fully leveled redeemer. Then again, I think that now it's a bit too easy to level, given that I did the whole thing in 1-2 hours of questing in normal areas. I did grind out the last level by finding lone enemies and eating disengagement attacks as often as possible while the rest of my party hid out of line of sight which is cheesy as heck, but my tank just didn't get knocked out in normal fights unless the whole battle was lost. Paladin tanks don't gently caress around, even with two handed weapons.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

There really should be an option to react properly to Galvino's operation of kidnapping and performing human experimentation on bandits and vagrants. That dungeon is insanely messed and then you just turn up and ask him about about how to get past a door and neither party really seems to care about where you are and what he's doing. I was tempted just to kill him outright but as it wasn't a scripted option I was weary of breaking any future quest scripting. What the heck was up with that?

This exactly he's just as much if not more of a criminal as the devil of caroc because of his horrible science experiments.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Wow, Fight Wizards have gotten a lot better in the patches since release. I am trying to play on PootD for the first time now, and Aloth is getting a lot of mileage out of Coozentootie's Parasitic Staff. Also it seems like he's lucky to land a graze on most of his other spells. Obviously I'd want to lower their defenses first to properly land a debilitating spell, but the defense-lowering spells miss and it's like there's no good place to start. The staff is really, really good at beating stuff up though.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I must say, now that I have played the extension more (cleaned all the wilderness areas and now I'm in that ~~ cabin ~~ area), I find that there's kind of too much trash fights indeed. You can't get into an hallway without finding 5+ enemies. It's like the Defiance Bay Catacombs but even more crowded. It's kind of annoying because the fights are not even that hard, there are just... too many of them.

Really liked the new bounties, although you can split the pack by pulling creatively.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Yeah, spellswords are actually pretty awesome. Concelhaut's Parasitic Staff is really good at early levels, but I think going soldier specialization and using Tall Grass is probably better in the long run because you eventually get a high level spell that gives you a summonable pike.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
So is Barbarian the only class not represented by a companion? I saw this guy

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/2595432/pillars-eternity-lords-eastern-reach

as one of the heroes in the Lords of the Eastern Reach card game and boy I wonder if that's an spoiler :allears:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
A bunch of cards from that board game are just PoE characters the dev team has made IIRC. That's a portrait from the main game too, so I doubt it's a planned companion for the second expansion.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I think it is pretty much a given, that we will get a barbarian companion next expansion.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

If we do not get a barbarian companion I will be surprised considering it's the only companion we are missing. The card game is going to be sweet though. I'm a big fan of tabletop games and the Pillars universe so I backed it. I can't wait for the game to actually come out. Speaking of barbarians, does anyone roll with one as their pc? I've thought about it but for some reason barbarians never really do it for me except for in Howard's classic stories.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Wizzzrd posted:

If we do not get a barbarian companion I will be surprised considering it's the only companion we are missing. The card game is going to be sweet though. I'm a big fan of tabletop games and the Pillars universe so I backed it. I can't wait for the game to actually come out. Speaking of barbarians, does anyone roll with one as their pc? I've thought about it but for some reason barbarians never really do it for me except for in Howard's classic stories.

One of my concurrent playthroughs stars Bro-nan the fun loving barbarian and his merry band of fuckups. My RP rule is that he must always have an active "alcohol" consumable going and will take which ever conversation option is the most kind-but-pretty-trashed sounding.

Mechanically, it is hard to find a good niche for him. I have been running with Endar as my tank and using Bro-nan to flank and rush the back ranks and kill casters. But now Monk-bro is so so much better then him at that, especially because dumping AOE spells on him seems to give Wounds. I'm not sure what to respect Bro-nan as right now, but I have never tried to get much use out of Carnage so I might try a build based on that.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Taear posted:

The new level 14 area also has teleporting enemies and it's an enormous arse because it essentially means I have to rest more often to stop them killing Aloth.

For me the Temple of Eothas was very important because it taught me the value of indiscriminately casting Fan of Flames.

Sometimes if you want to make an omelette you have to charbroil your entire party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

Furism posted:

I must say, now that I have played the extension more (cleaned all the wilderness areas and now I'm in that ~~ cabin ~~ area), I find that there's kind of too much trash fights indeed. You can't get into an hallway without finding 5+ enemies. It's like the Defiance Bay Catacombs but even more crowded. It's kind of annoying because the fights are not even that hard, there are just... too many of them.

Really liked the new bounties, although you can split the pack by pulling creatively.

Seriously, this. Please tone down the combat density a bit, if not in a patch, then for the upcoming expansion at least.

The good fights are great, better than the main game. But there is so much padding in between that it just gets on one's nerves. There is zero time for any build up or appreciating the environment. It's just constant mass murder.

• Locked thread