Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Linedance posted:

Continental ContiPremiumContact 2 can be had in 195/60-14. Hth

That poster was getting all pissy over the exact size for no reason and there's a reason he's on probation, honestly compromises have to be made with cars like that. I can't get summer tires in 175/70-13s so I chose a different size and got some rims. Suprisingly the universe didn't come crashing down cause the odometer was 1.15% out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A local car DUDE is trying to avoid having his car repossessed so he's decided that a coat of plasti-dip and swapping out the badges to another brand will throw the repo men off his trail. He's rolling around in a late 00's BMW and he's upside down on the loan so I'm really hoping this brings some serious entertainment. My friends and I are fully encouraging him to do this and have been making other suggestions like "Hey man, swap out your plate for some random car at work so they can't ID you that way!"

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

MrChips posted:

I think you and I have different definitions of terrible - that BMW is so ridiculous that it's nothing but awesome.

I think it is exactly the right amount of ridiculous and I would drive that exclusively for the rest of my life.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Rhyno posted:

A local car DUDE is trying to avoid having his car repossessed so he's decided that a coat of plasti-dip and swapping out the badges to another brand will throw the repo men off his trail. He's rolling around in a late 00's BMW and he's upside down on the loan so I'm really hoping this brings some serious entertainment. My friends and I are fully encouraging him to do this and have been making other suggestions like "Hey man, swap out your plate for some random car at work so they can't ID you that way!"

haha he better plastidip the car a different color and also park in a different zip code because those guys are BRUTAL

edit I didn't read your post that well but my point stands.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Rhyno posted:

My friends and I are fully encouraging him to do this and have been making other suggestions like "Hey man, swap out your plate for some random car at work so they can't ID you that way!"

You were being funny up until this point. This is lovely advice and bound to screw over someone else who doesn't need to deal with that sort of poo poo.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

MetaJew posted:

You were being funny up until this point. This is lovely advice and bound to screw over someone else who doesn't need to deal with that sort of poo poo.

He's not trying to help, and anyone dumb enough to follow through with advice to literally steal someone's license plate and drive around with that plate on their car deserves to have everything bad happen to them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MetaJew posted:

Terrible Robot posted:

He's not trying to help, and anyone dumb enough to follow through with advice to literally steal someone's license plate and drive around with that plate on their car deserves to have everything bad happen to them.

Yeah TB gets it.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I know he's not trying to help, but if the dumbass has all these other great ideas to avoid the repo man, he might just listen to you.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

MetaJew posted:

I know he's not trying to help, but if the dumbass has all these other great ideas to avoid the repo man, he might just listen to you.

And?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

It's a pain in the rear end for the innocent person who parked near him at work and ends up with the wrong plate. Do you like dealing with the DMV?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Seriously? And he steals someone else's license plate. Where are the goons who say "Don't gently caress with another person's car" when I need them?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MetaJew posted:

Seriously? And he steals someone else's license plate. Where are the goons who say "Don't gently caress with another person's car" when I need them?

Hi

Don't gently caress with anyone else's car, are you a loving retard or something?

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
All this cash for clunkers talk reminds me of a fun story dating back to around that time.

I was interning for a United States Senator's office at the time, which meant taking phone calls from all of our lunatic constituents. This was in spring-summer 2009, so GM was trying to sell off Saab, Hummer, etc during its bailout. I got a call from this one constituent who was furious that GM was thinking of selling Hummer to the Chinese. I don't have the quote handy, but he didn't want them to get their hands on all the military technology that Hummer had. Usually I just wrote down what was being said, thanked the constituent and proceeded to weep after they got off the phone, but I knew that the Hummer brand vehicles had nothing to do with the military trucks and I decided to inform this man of the fact. I had, up until this point, prided myself on never getting into a fight with a constituent on the phone. He did not want to be told that he was wrong. He did not believe that the H2 has more in common with a Chevy Blazer than a military vehicle. He was uninterested in the distinction between AM General and General Motors. He didn't want the drat Chinese getting the technology to build 30 year old outdated American military trucks from General Motors Hummer brand in the year 2009.

After this call I took a break from the phones for a while. Goddamn, people are dumb as gently caress.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I personally would've gone the other way and furthered his fears by going on about all the advanced jet plane technology Saab had.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Co-Workers auto-folding side mirrors stopped working. Apparently this requires replacing the transmission for some dumb reason. Nissan is the worst, but its under warranty at least.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Alighieri posted:

Co-Workers auto-folding side mirrors stopped working. Apparently this requires replacing the transmission for some dumb reason. Nissan is the worst, but its under warranty at least.

What? I'd love to see the book procedure on that.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Maker Of Shoes posted:

What? I'd love to see the book procedure on that.

Seriously. How is this even a thing?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Seriously I'd expect that sort of thing from an automaker like Citroen. That's all kinds of hosed up. I guess Renault is trying to close the stupid engineering ideas gap with their national rivals.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Obviously the sensor the car uses to know when it's safe to fold the mirrors is in the transmission.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Autofolding mirrors are basically proof that the car is too drat wide.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Obviously you've never tried to get a bag of hockey equipment through a parking lot at an ice rink. :colbert:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

Autofolding mirrors are basically proof that the car is too drat wide.

It's a good feature that should be much, much more common.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Apparently they fold in when in park, when in reverse they point the mirror part down a bit so you can see the lines to park in, when in drive they go back to normal. Why all this is done in the transmission I have no clue, but pretty certain its a cost savings reason somehow.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

AlmightyPants posted:

All this cash for clunkers talk

My family listens to NPR for the morning commute, and our local station is downright absurd about this program. I like to joke they're being held captive by Truckasaurus.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Alighieri posted:

when in reverse they point the mirror part down a bit so you can see the lines to park in, when in drive they go back to normal.

That's cool, too bad it's implemented in such a retarded way that requires replacing the transmission when it dies

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Knowing Nissan parts catalogues they probably say something like "mirror transmission" to refer to the motor or plastic geartrain that actually folds the mirror up.

It probably isn't literally the car's motive/drivetrain transmission but is a Franco-Japanese bullshit terminology repeated verbatim from some idiot service writer.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

An Angry Bug posted:

My family listens to NPR for the morning commute, and our local station is downright absurd about this program. I like to joke they're being held captive by Truckasaurus.

Are they talking about the vehicle donation program, an ongoing program for listeners to donate their old cars to help fund public radio, or the car allowance rebate system (colloquially called cash for clunkers) than ended over 6 years ago?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
To change the bulbs on my Renault's high beams, you need to remove the front bumper completely :derp:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

wayfinder posted:

To change the bulbs on my Renault's high beams, you need to remove the front bumper completely :derp:

New WRX requires fender liner removal for the parking lights. Not even the fogs, parking lights.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

wayfinder posted:

There are several GM products that require this, as well. It's not a rare design flaw.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

SaNChEzZ posted:

New WRX requires fender liner removal for the parking lights. Not even the fogs, parking lights.

NC Miata requires this for the headlight bulbs. Or bumper removal. Or impossibly tiny hands.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

wayfinder posted:

My Renault era Nissan Skyline was the same.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
I walk by this when I walk my dog and it makes me sad

front bumper is hanging off on the passenger side too

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

neckbeard posted:

I walk by this when I walk my dog and it makes me sad

front bumper is hanging off on the passenger side too

Such is the fate of the 80s performance car.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

MRC48B posted:

There are several GM products that require this, as well. It's not a rare design flaw.

I'll never understand why... :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzSnd50oKNw

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

I don't get why cars are designed to make the simplest job so loving complicated. I don't think the average Joe would have the nerve to do this.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Mister Kingdom posted:

I don't get why cars are designed to make the simplest job so loving complicated. I don't think the average Joe would have the nerve to do this.

Well that's pretty much why, isn't it? Make a few more people come down to the dealer for overpriced service.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

RillAkBea posted:

Well that's pretty much why, isn't it? Make a few more people come down to the dealer for overpriced service.

I guess it comes down to "if you can afford the car, you can afford the service".

It's like when lottery winners go nuts and buy supercars and then keel over when they have to get the thing serviced for the first time.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

joat mon posted:

Are they talking about the vehicle donation program, an ongoing program for listeners to donate their old cars to help fund public radio, or the car allowance rebate system (colloquially called cash for clunkers) than ended over 6 years ago?

Towing away your old car and selling it to help your local station. With your permission, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazzy
Jul 1, 2004
Martial Arts Master

SaNChEzZ posted:

not true, i've done it without removing the fender liners, need to remove the airbox and move the battery a bit, not a big deal.