Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Makarov_
Jun 10, 2006

"It's our year" - Makarov_ January 2018
I can't believe BD Wong is 55 years old. The man looks pretty good.

I had to re-watch the final scene, since it left me with an impression that perhaps White Rose participated with Evil Corp's knowledge. After re-watching, I don't believe that is the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
That scene in the internet cafe really reminded me of the scene from Battlestar Galactica where Baltar basically does the same self choking thing. Fantastic finale. And man, the CEO must be really important if White Rose was willing to go past the alarm. :stare:

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

nickmeister posted:

Do you think the ecorp exec really knows who's responsible, or does he think the girl did it (which is why he hired her and is trying to mentor her)?

I think he does know Elliot is responsible and is why he is keeping close contact with Angela, because of her connection to him.

Makarov_ posted:

I can't believe BD Wong is 55 years old. The man looks pretty good.

I had to re-watch the final scene, since it left me with an impression that perhaps White Rose participated with Evil Corp's knowledge. After re-watching, I don't believe that is the case.

I don't think Evil Corp was part of this, as White Rose asked him if he knew who was responsible. White Rose has his own agenda.

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.
Elliot being Tyrell would be weird though because wouldn't his secretary have recognized him?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Elliot being Tyrell would be the stupidest possible route the show could take. There is a limit on how many times you can pull off that plot twist with any kind of impact, and that limit is one. Come on, goons. Just because you have no imagination and can't contemplate the show doing anything but repeating the same plot doesn't mean that actual writers are that way.

Dead on Arrival
Nov 4, 2008
I think Evil Corp CEO thinks that Tyrell did it. As it was by Tyrell's order that the infected server stayed connected, and that is likely something their tech guys could still learn.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
As soon as the EVP of Tech asked for his bag, I knew we'd be in for an R. Budd Dwyer type of situation.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
Whatever happened with popcorn gun? It's interesting that Episode 9 ends with the popcorn machine going off while Elliot and Tyrell are in the hideout and the final shot focuses on it. I'm guessing that gun is involved with whatever went down.

Also wasn't Tyrell getting fired from his job while Elliot was out in Long Island running around?

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Is BD Wong/Old Dude the bad guys now setting up a new world economy?

I assume with all the different nationalities there, it's some Illuminati type poo poo.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Yes I can't see any way that Tyrell can be another personality of Elliot. Tyrell's former assistant would have recognized him.

I can't shake the feeling that Tyrell's wife knows about Elliot's condition, though.

Looking at it that way, it makes sense to me that she was asking the questions she did: which personality of Elliot is this?

Whatever the case, she seemed most 'distraught' by the fact that he didn't know what she was saying in another language.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose

Doctor Butts posted:

I can't shake the feeling that Tyrell's wife knows about Elliot's condition, though.

Dunno about his wife, but Tyrell might. Tyrell does meet with "Mr. Robot" in episode 8 and he implies that he knows his 'dirty little secret' and maybe that's just the fact that he hacks everyone but he seems smart enough that he might know about the personalities. I guess by extension, Tyrell's wife might know because they seem to tell each other most things, at least things that are beneficial to them remaining a power couple.

Honestly I'm having way more fun thinking about some of the lingering questions we've been left with compared to most show finales and I'm definitely going to give this season a re-watch with all the knowledge in hand.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Mr. Robot: gently caress Chekov and his gun

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Angela and her boss both own, I think I'm team EvilCorp now.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Vulture put up an interview with B.D. Wong after the finale aired. He apparently wasn't hired until half the season was shot, and seems to be as in the dark about his presence on the show as anyone who watched tonight.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Gideon mentions rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic during the meeting with his CFO.

The post-credits scene features a woman playing "Nearer My God To Thee" on a lyre, which is the same song the band played on the Titanic as it was sinking.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
So guesses at who was at Elliot's door?

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

gently caress.

This show is just so drat good.

Harminoff posted:

Vera! :v:

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Frackie Robinson posted:

Mr. Robot: gently caress Chekov and his gun

I thought for sure Chekhov's dog poop was going to come up in the opening scene.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Those subtle Nazi vibes when it zoomed out to show a giant E on the floor was a nice touch.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Gordong Dongbay posted:

Those subtle Nazi vibes when it zoomed out to show a giant E on the floor was a nice touch.

Subtle?!

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Harminoff posted:

It's Tyrell.

The beginning of next season will explain the events of the missing 3 days and lay the groundwork for the season's storyline.

CEO isn't worried because Tyrell contacted him letting him know he has the encryption key and wants to make a deal for it. Mr. Robot's allowing E Corp to recover because it's part of a larger overall takedown plan.

All just speculation on my part, but hey, I called Mr. Robot being his dead dad after episode 2, so I'm on a roll.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Harminoff posted:

Darlene.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
My biggest fear for this episode (and now for the next season) was that they would puss out and have Tyrell show up and save the day with the encryption key and reset everything back to zero. I am starting to think though that they actually have no intention of doing something that lame and want to follow this chaos as far as it goes. I love it.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

qbert posted:

All just speculation on my part, but hey, I called Mr. Robot being his dead dad after episode 2, so I'm on a roll.

Let's be honest here... that was as telegraphed as a WWE punch being thrown.

Solid season. Yeah, basically fight club but it added a lot to make itself stand on its own. I really would be annoyed if Tyrell ends up being one of his personalities like some folks believe. I mean, that's just too much of a stretch to make work.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

qbert posted:

Wow, a real Nostradamus here.

Steve112sms
Mar 20, 2002

Paregoric babies of the world unite.

Talorat posted:

My biggest fear for this episode (and now for the next season) was that they would puss out and have Tyrell show up and save the day with the encryption key and reset everything back to zero. I am starting to think though that they actually have no intention of doing something that lame and want to follow this chaos as far as it goes. I love it.

I actually wondered after the penultimate episode if BD Wong and the Dark Army would be the one to sell them out. He very conspicuously neglected to answer Elliot's question about why they were helping FSociey. Then that scene was replayed in the "previously on" segment. The ending tag just further points in this direction.

Also, Tyrell is real, you turds. This is some serious Shannon was stabbed poo poo going on here.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Harminoff posted:

During that scene I had the same feeling Brad Pitt's character must have had at the end of Se7en. Who's at the door?! WHO'S AT THE DOOOOR?! This show is easily the greatest thing to happen for USA Network and the combination tech/tv nerd in a very long time. I'm floored that Budd Dwyer scene made it on the air. Not knowing this is a TV show any reasonable person would think they just watched someone blow their brains out.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Sep 3, 2015

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Come on guys, is it that hard to figure out who's the one that knocks?

Who obviously is just another personality of his.

Brick Card
Oct 12, 2008

Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad.
The skipped week worked perfectly with this episode. The gap in Elliot's memory, the hack on Evil Corp., it was like there was an episode last week that we all collectively forgot.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Whoever scored this episode deserves all the Emmys

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

Talorat posted:

That would indeed be a bad choice. I want to see the consequences of the hack, perhaps it ends up making the world even worse and Elliot struggles with that in the next season. But the mention of encryption and keys, makes me think it will turn up in the future.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Golashes posted:

Any translation on what tyrell's crazy rear end wife said?

If you have done something to him, I will kill you

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
That was a damp squib. No resolution on Tyrell is real loving dumb. And what about his Estonian proxies?!

The idea of seeing a world where Tyler Durden's plan worked is kind of interesting though.

Could've done with less scenes of Elliot freaking out. Didn't we already go through all this?

Definitely think they should've just broadcast the ep last week though. Wasn't particularly similar to that shooting. It did evoke the biological recoil of the Bud Dwyer video though, ew. :smith:

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015

Brick Card posted:

The skipped week worked perfectly with this episode. The gap in Elliot's memory, the hack on Evil Corp., it was like there was an episode last week that we all collectively forgot.

This.

I simeltaneously loved and hated this as a finale. Part of me would have loved a tense episode of them trying to launch the program with Tyrell at the door, not knowing if White Rose would come through or if Tyrell would steal the key with the season ending on the attack and a montage of reactions. Skipping the safe route entirely is less viscerally satisfying, but bodes well for the show's future and how far reaching the plan for its arcs are. I just hope season two doesn't get delayed.

Also, B.D. Wong better be contracted on as a major player next year. I've been waiting for him to have a killer role since Oz.

Viginti fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Sep 3, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Harminoff posted:

I'm guessing it was Lenny, the cheating husband from the beginning of the episode.

Also I'm still pretty sure that the final fsociety video was Tyrell. The weird cadence and then the zoom in to the blue eyes seems to point at him.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
ITT White Rose participated in the hack in order to get one up on E-CEO for whatever little game they play over those Cobalt mines.

Or he's Nero and just enjoying the music.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Did anyone else get a Mind Forever Voyaging vibe from the Times Square scene?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I know jack poo poo about mental illness, but watching the Louis Theroux documentaries where he talked to people who had paranoid schizophrenia, a common trait they exhibited was that they blacked out and don't remember undertaking really bad and violent crimes. So I'm on the 'Elliot murdered Tyrell' train. We know he had access to a gun, and we've seen when he's Mr Robot he has a nasty streak to him. It makes sense.

And I hope Tyrell is gone, because giving him such a crazy storyline too was the only thing I didn't like. If he was the protagonist of another show, it would've been interesting but I don't need every character dealing with a major battle all at the same time. It worked for The OC but not for a show like this. I don't want to hear about the dead wife thing ever again.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Emetic Hustler posted:

That would indeed be a bad choice. I want to see the consequences of the hack, perhaps it ends up making the world even worse and Elliot struggles with that in the next season. But the mention of encryption and keys, makes me think it will turn up in the future.

I thought the dialogue specifically noted that even if they figure out the key, they'll just find that all of their data is gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Calling it now but his psychiatrist is the one knocking on the door.

Tyrell is either dead or locked up somewhere given that there's no way he'd disappear for days without letting his wife know.

The husband from the pilot has no idea where Elliot lives and the police aren't going to give a poo poo about it since they have bigger things to focus on.

im gay posted:

Is BD Wong/Old Dude the bad guys now setting up a new world economy?

I assume with all the different nationalities there, it's some Illuminati type poo poo.

BD Wong made the comment about Nero wanting to see it all burn down so I think he's just a member of the illuminati/super 1%er who's sick of all the other illuminatis and wanted to see everything just fall apart.

• Locked thread