Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Also I love playing in and modding very role heavy games. I love the puzzle of it. Maybe that's a different game than mafia, but it is fun times.

Coming up with roles for role heavy games isn't about "lol this would be so crazy!" but rather thinking of something fun and cool and then what could be used to counteract it on the other team.

I find it very funny that Ecco is the one calling for restraint because it's only ever in Eccogames that I find myself completely at a loss for how to play and how to interpret things because I can't rely on the setup to be normal. I never feel the mod more than in an Eccogame, and I always got the impression that's exactly what she wants?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

Asiina posted:

Also I love playing in and modding very role heavy games. I love the puzzle of it. Maybe that's a different game than mafia, but it is fun times.

I find it very funny that Ecco is the one calling for restraint because it's only ever in Eccogames that I find myself completely at a loss for how to play and how to interpret things because I can't rely on the setup to be normal. I never feel the mod more than in an Eccogame, and I always got the impression that's exactly what she wants?
yeah what she said

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
It sucks to be scum in a game that is completely solvable by night actions

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

JakeP posted:

It sucks to be scum in a game that is completely solvable by night actions

Nah, then you just lie and screw with people. Or tell the truth and somehow it works out, I did that in one of the recent role madness games

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Opopanax posted:

Nah, then you just lie and screw with people. Or tell the truth and somehow it works out, I did that in one of the recent role madness games

I really hate being scum, and legit feel bad lying in mafia games

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I love being scum. Weasling out of certain death is the best feeling.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
i feel guilty to those that I have tricked knowing they will soon feel shame in being wrong

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I like being a SK because I get to laugh at the sky and control the narrative in a way the scum don't anticipate.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

merk posted:

I prefer dominations. CYOR big game flawless scum victory :D

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Lumpen posted:

The game of Mafia is a finely crafted mechanism. It is like Chess, in that amazing subtlety arises from apparent simplicity. Chess is not better if pawns are replaced by "Laser Ninjas" with new convoluted abilities.

Sorry about your case of terminal Bad Opinions.

Also

chess is never good, much like mafia.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

JakeP posted:

i feel guilty to those that I have tricked knowing they will soon feel shame in being wrong

I feel you, and I am glad that you feel intense empathy like me.

It's not debilitating or anything, it still feels good to win, but mafia is not a game of trust for sure.

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

I like being a SK because I get to laugh at the sky and control the narrative in a way the scum don't anticipate.

The Scum Must Die!!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I fall for Jake's lies every time.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Allen Wren posted:

Sorry about your case of terminal Bad Opinions.

Also

chess is never good, much like mafia.

I'll fight you.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

We're keeping the fantasy movie league going for the fall season ye?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

CCKeane posted:

I'll fight you.

That would be more interesting than chess or mafia.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

CCKeane posted:

I'll fight you.

He's not wrong though.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Little Mac posted:

Rarity, pardon me if I'm confusing you with someone else, but didn't you used to dance for a living?

Nope, that was me that did the nudie dancing. Lives change :v:

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Asiina posted:

"feeling the mod" isn't a bad thing (except to libertarians). part of why I make my setups "different" (I would use) is to keep people on their toes and learn to discount role information, focusing on how people play. I make stuff that's deliberately misleading because I want people to give me the finger and not be mislead.

The opposite of "role madness" isn't "simplistic; boring". I like to think most of my games strike a good balance between being different and experimental while still keeping to fundamental mafia principles.

merk posted:

Is someone going to take the lead on creating that Google Doc? We will start sending invitation PMs once Ecco's setup is ready.
not to be too much of a party poop but I do have an actual life and an actual game I'm currently modding, it'll be a bit before I have a setup ready.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Maybe we should have more open setup games. Met ran some Palace games a few months ago and I really enjoyed them! I should do that since I like modding games more than writing setups.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I like open setups, and F11 style setups where there are 3 potential open setups for the game

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

BottleKnight posted:

In my first couple town games I was trying really hard to be funny and honest and was called out as scummy constantly for it. Now I'm super self conscious and reserved as a mafia player regardless of alignment and I am called scum significantly less and yet somehow also am less helpful to town, I think. It's definitely a very weird phenomenon.

It is definitely possible to be active and forceful and aggressive while still keeping yourself away from being lynched and there are players here who are very good at it. You just need a certain self-awareness in what you're saying and a lack of fear over being called scummy.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

merk posted:

There's nothing more fun than pulling off flawless or solo scum victories.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

EccoRaven posted:

"feeling the mod" isn't a bad thing (except to libertarians). part of why I make my setups "different" (I would use) is to keep people on their toes and learn to discount role information, focusing on how people play. I make stuff that's deliberately misleading because I want people to give me the finger and not be mislead.
I feel like I learned this lesson in one of the early games of yours I played when I was so convinced Authorman was some crazy third party cult or I don't even loving remember but I played terribly because of my obsession with solving the setup.

Roles aren't meant to fit together like a puzzle or solve the game, fmpov. They are supposed to give you opportunities to find those moments where players reveal their true intentions. If you balance them in a way that encourages discussion without drowning the game with noise they are doing their job and making the game more interesting. For town, managing the signal to noise ratio is a key part of winning I think, and so in a ~role madness~ game I feel like you have a lot less control. Jasmine-type players tune out or fall in a pit of conspiracy.

It's like mafia yoga or something, you have to clear your mind of the role noise... look inward to see a player's true intent. NAMASTE.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
Hello thread. Im getting on a plane to singapore in one hour.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

uranus posted:

Hello thread. Im getting on a plane to singapore in one hour.

I've always wanted to go there and really experience eastern capitalism, make sure to make a nice post about it with cool pix!!!

Dhaes
Dec 1, 2006

You realize, of course, that everything I say is horseshit.
come sign up for bottleknight's game

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3739747

unless you are dumber than a dumb dumb deer

Dhaes
Dec 1, 2006

You realize, of course, that everything I say is horseshit.

Dhaes posted:

dumber than a dumb dumb deer

yuming is not dumber than a dumb dumb deer

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Dhaes posted:

come sign up for bottleknight's game

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3739747

unless you are dumber than a dumb dumb deer

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
If only I was confident I could juggle 5 games.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Kashuno posted:

If only I was confident I could juggle 5 games.

are you confident you can juggle 4? I can't even juggle 3 things irl.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

BottleKnight posted:

are you confident you can juggle 4? I can't even juggle 3 things irl.

I didn't realize I signed up for four games until it was too late and they all started the same day so I don't have much choice now :v:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I agree with lumpen by which I mean that I think open and semi open setups are way more fun not that I think you should be able to pay to murder people.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

Dhaes posted:

yuming is not dumber than a dumb dumb deer
Only sometimes. I think I maybe too busy to play :| I will think about it.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I love very simple set ups with one thing skewed off from the regular actually. I really liked running ballot box even though it wasn't balanced. Things like WIFOAs and Temple games are also fun in that they are fairly vanilla and thus their key and important differences stand out more.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Vanilla games make me want to emulate that wu affiliate who chopped off his dick and jumped off a building

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

Tremendous Taste posted:

Vanilla games make me want to emulate that wu affiliate who chopped off his dick and jumped off a building
NU UH THEY RULE OMG :sun:

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

yuming posted:

Only sometimes. I think I maybe too busy to play :| I will think about it.

Yuming is a game with both Dhaes and myself!

That should sell it for everybody!

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

CCKeane posted:

Yuming is a game with both Dhaes and myself!

That should sell it for everybody!
Indeed!

Hmm.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Not to pressure you yuming but if you give me some feedback on what deadline times and such would work best for you I will implement them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
don't forget to make your FML picks guys, Autumn season starts this weekend