Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I hope this LP brings Yamcha up to his canonical power level of being equal to Cell.

Or at the very least his canonical power level of being equal to first form Frieza.

What.
There is NO way Yamcha is as powerful as a robot made with the genetic material of Goku, Piccolo, Frieza, and Vegeta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Silegna posted:

What.
There is NO way Yamcha is as powerful as a robot made with the genetic material of Goku, Piccolo, Frieza, and Vegeta.

By the end of the Buu arc, potentially. See as strong as the Saiyans got, the humans actually WERE improving drastically.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Onmi posted:

By the end of the Buu arc, potentially. See as strong as the Saiyans got, the humans actually WERE improving drastically.

Doesn't Krillin, Canonically become the strongest human?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Silegna posted:

Doesn't Krillin, Canonically become the strongest human?

Yes, though fans get uppity and insist it's Tien (probably because Tien is never NOT training)

But really they're all some of the most powerful beings in the universe.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Silegna posted:

What.

Totally happened. Buu arc filler, I think.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Trickle Down Powerups. Rising Evil lifts all heroes.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Update Nine: Guardian Of The Furnace? Is Annin Too Fiery For Goku!?

Howdy, folks, and welcome back! Last time, on Attack of the Saiyans, Ox-King's castle began burning up, due to an influx of fire from Mount Five Element. Today, we're going to go see if we can't solve that problem, so let's head out.

It doesn't take long to get into a fight; we're not even into the dungeon proper yet!

And it's a sneak attack.

These little demon fellows aren't too threatening, but they also fall under the category of enemies that are annoying.

Not because of this. Plenty of enemies will shoot us in the face with laser beams. What makes these guys annoying is that they have an ability to raise their Evasion, and can even revive defeated enemies, which can prolong battles if they're spamming both. The revival technique isn't guaranteed, for a small bit of mercy.

The bigass Bats have some interesting attacks, including one where they send a swarm of their flying-rat brethren at you. It's a bunch of small, weak hits, but they can add up if you're not guarding against it.

No exact HP numbers on these guys, but Goku can drop either of these fellows in two physical attacks; a Combination or Kamehameha is just overkill for them.

They can use this multiple turns in a row, making them virtually impossible to hit. It seems to wear off in a few turns, though.

The bats can still drain HP and use their sonic wave on you; they're not too different from the last time we saw them. Not that any of their variations are that different.

Hey, we've got over 300 AP. Let's finally upgrade some skills!

What you're seeing here is exciting bottom-screen action.

Those two options all in "??????" are skills we haven't unlocked yet; we'll unlock those by upgrading the proper skills. This first tab is for active battle skills characters can use, like the Kamehameha or Wolf Fang Fist. Upgrading a skill will make it more powerful, if it's an attack, or make the effect last longer, like for abilities such as the After-Image Technique. Upgrading skills also increases their Ki cost and can increase other parameters about the skill as well. If we upgraded the After-Image Technique, not only would it boost Goku's Evasion more, but it would also last longer.

Ultimate Skills can only be used when the Rage Gauge is full, and they're usually fairly expensive. These are either learned through upgrading the proper battle skills, or by passing certain events in the story. Goku won't be getting either of his Ultimate Skills for a long time, but if you know anything about Dragon Ball, that's not really a surprise, is it? These are usually a character's big, gently caress-off, signature attack, or a super-powered version of an already existing attack. Yamcha, for instance, will learn the Neo Wolf Fang Fist sooner or later.

Finally, there's Abilities to upgrade.

They're pretty much self-explanatory; Goku doesn't have any truly special ones, except for All Abilities Up. Different characters have different ones, but things like the HP and Ki Up are standard, but Krillin, for instance, gets a skill that increases the effectiveness of items when he uses them, and Yamcha has one that increases item drops.

For those of you know me or have seen how I like to do battle, you shouldn't be surprised I'm doing an Attack Up first. As for how much of a boost this is, I can't say exactly, but it will get pretty significant. Most of these will go up to Level 5.

I could have done the Kamehameha or Combination first, but I'll be rolling in AP before long, so it's not too big of a deal. I'll be getting those up sooner rather than later, though, as they unlock what I think is Goku's best normal skill.

In the field, Goku has the Kamehameha to clear obstacles in his path.

We clear those out to snag this, which is handy to have.

This game isn't shy with giving you items to use, and you can buy pretty much every recovery item, so there's not much reason to hoard these things. I know some of you Final Fantasy players out there, like myself, have a tendency to hold onto Ethers and Elixirs like you'll never get another one.

There are Ghost enemies here, too, and your energy attacks are still the most effective you have against them.

Sure, we could use physicals to take them out, but it would take a while, and we don't get big, satisfying numbers like that.

And that's not mentioning how these guys can lay the smackdown on you if they stick around too long.

The green ones seem stronger than the blue, but they all fall in a single Kamehameha, so it probably doesn't matter too much either way.

Nice sexy bit of EXP, though.

South of here is a piece of treasure.

When equipped, this lets your Rage Gauge increase faster. It's...Eh, it's something to equip. Goku currently has the Energy Ring and Fighter's Crest equipped, since the Rage Gauge is literally useless to him at the moment.

Man, those guys there are having lovely days.

I still have all the Fruits we've collected so far. Not that we have a ton, but I have a tentative plan of giving them all to Goku. There's one other character I'd consider using them on, but we'll get there when we get there.

Goku is not only our main character, but he's pretty much our strongest fighter for the duration of the game. It's hard not to want to make him as powerful as we can, no?

Someone suggested I do everything I can to make Krillin our strongest fighter, and I've gotta tell you, I just can't do it. Not that Krillin is a bad character, but because of his stat growths. I can't fix those.

However, he's still one of my favorite people to have in the party, as he's very useful.

But, enough of that. We're heading into the mouth of the beast, so we should probably focus on that.

We can't get up this ladder yet. See, there's a big rock in the way; never mind that we're jumping up the ladder and not actually climbing or that Goku can loving fly. That rock is just too much of an imposition.

In anger, let's beat up some poor shnook.

This here is the Gogyo Majin. He's a demon, which there are a lot of in Dragon Ball.

Being a demon, he's a giant prick.

Who is just delaying his inevitable demise.

He's got a really cool attack, though.

Seriously, how goddamn metal is it to summon a bunch of swords to fling at your opponent?

These are also a bunch of smaller, weaker, hits, but they look far cooler than a swarm of bats attacking.

AP isn't hard to gain; I spent 300 earlier on the Attack Up and I've already got over 200. Some of those abilities get really expensive, though, costing upwards of 2,000 AP.

Here's another accessory I'll probably pawn off as soon as I can. It gives you a chance to avoid an instant-kill attack. There aren't too many of those around to begin with, so this isn't a huge boon.

This thing, however, is cooler than poo poo.

Equipping it adds +2 to all of your parameters. That's about equal to an extra level of stats. The Fighter's Crest is popped off for now, since I think this Ring is more useful.

It looks more effective already! This is enough to kill a bat in one hit, too.

Before moving too much further, Goku pops into a lawn chair and relaxes for a moment.

I clear the rock out of the way and go grab the chest over here.

Alright, some :words: are coming, but so is a boss fight.

Well, now, isn't that interesting.

Can't imagine what else it would be, Goku.

: Annin! You there?

Someone with a major favor to ask.

: Are you Annin?

: Annin...I haven't heard anyone call me by that in a while. But yes...Yes, I am Annin!

: Listen, there's something I need you to do! Put out the furnace's fire for me!

Pictured: a normal reaction to such a request.

: Daddy...? Who're you, anyway?

: My name's Chi-Chi, daughter of the Ox-King...

: ...The Ox-King lives on Fire Mountain? Hmm...That's the mountain behind this one, isn't it? That must mean there's a hole or something at the bottom of the furnace.

: Please! You've got to put out the fire!

: I can't do that.

: Why not!?

: Shutting down the furnace would cause chaos both here and in the Other World. Do you want that? It'd certainly be interesting, to say the least, but...

: It'd cause chaos...?

: Please! We need to put out the furnace before it's too late!

And here's why it's not that easy to just shut it down.

Granted, the Ox-King will die a horrible death, but what about all the other chaos that would be caused if the furnace is shut down?

They say the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few...

However, does that justify saving Ox-King's life?

Goku doesn't know, and neither do I.

In fact, since it's Dragon Ball, ain't nobody thinking about that. Also, Keeshhound, I can hear you formulating a response already.

Stop it. Bad Keesh. Bad!

: You wanna shut the furnace down? Just turn that knob over there all the way down! That'll put it out for sure, I guarantee it!

Like it'd really be that simple, right, folks? :ducksiren:You know the drill if you want to see a video of the boss fight!:ducksiren:

So, Annin is pretty tough, befitting being a guardian of a magic, gigantic furnace. She's got the ability to slash your face open with her guan-dao, which hurts if you don't Guard it.

I was going to try and show off what a boost Attack Water can be; it's as good a time as any, and it seems to be about a doubling for the attack its used with.

However, Annin has a few tricks up her sleeve. Despite looking like it, those aren't insect antenna on her head; they're feathers, and she'll jab them into your eyes, which inflicts Blindness.

Blindness sucks all kinds of rear end.

:negative:

This could have done so much damage...

It would have been at least 350. The Attack Water only boosts your next attack, so ours was wasted due to Annin being a tricky pain in the rear end.

She's got 1600 HP, so this takes some time to get done. But, keep your health high and hit her with your strongest attacks.

She's got some odd timings to hit the proper Advance Guard, so stay on your toes.

I've had better fights with her; the one I used here and for the video aren't my best showings.

Don't be afraid to use some of your healing items; they're there for a reason, and it's better to burn some than to eat a game over.

Seriously, make sure you hit your Advance Guards. Annin will gently caress you up if you don't.

I figured I'd give this a shot to both show it off and to try and miss some damage.

...Well, wasn't that just loving great.

But, that's pretty much the fight. Annin is a tough lady, but as long as you're level 9 or above, you should have what it takes to fight her and come out on top.

Goku snags himself a level after the fight. :sugartits:

: Do you see all the steam rising up from it?

: Yeah.

: That steam turns to fog and settles at the top of the mountain! And that's where the problem lies here, Goku!

: What...? The fog...?

: Uh-huh. If the furnace shuts down, that fog's gonna disappear, too!

: So what?

: That fog's actually the portal between here and the Other World! Everyone that dies in this world goes through the fog to the Other World...And people in the Other World can come back at times to see their kids and so on.

: .........

: But with the furnace off, the fog's going to lift...The souls of the dead or visiting won't be able to make it to the Other World anymore. The world will be filled with wandering, vengeful souls!

Well, that definitely isn't good. But neither is Ox-King burning to death.

But Chi-Chi has a solution!

: Just enough to keep the steam from going completely away?

: Sorry, no dice!

: Why not!?

...Well, that's pretty good reasoning...

: Well, how can we keep the flames from shooting out of the furnace? C'mon, you gotta help us! There has to be some way!

: Well...There is one method. Have you ever seen one of these before?

Hey, it's the Ban--

Dammit, Goku, that's what I was saying! :argh:

Goku, you're startlingly good with words.

'course, it gets better.

Someone from anime filler that a lot of readers don't remember/didn't know existed?

For all evidence that Goku has no tact, look no further than the next screenshot.

:allears:

: ...You little brat!! There are some things better left unsaid, you know!

Oh, great, she's storming off. At least the fan is still there.

Just grab it and--

--Great. Way to go, Goku.

Chi-Chi, you don't want to chime in here? Try and defuse this situation?

No? Alright, Goku, let's get down to business.

...Oh. Well, maybe she's just trying to scare us.

: You'll need more than the Bansho Fan to put the furnace out...You'll also need something to plug the hole at the bottom of the furnace.

: Oh...What, is that it? Well, I'll go fetch whatever you need!

: I'm afraid what we need is not so easily obtainable...

: It's not?

: So...What is it, then?

: The bottom of the furnace is made from the shells of the eggs laid by the fire-eater bird!

Great, where the hell are we going to find one of those?

...Do you have any idea how many goddamned beehives there are in the world!? How the gently caress am I supposed to track down an octagonal one before the Ox-King is horrifically killed!?

Can Goku even count to eight? We know he can do seven, because there's seven Dragon Balls, but can he do eight?

: And as for the honey...Er...

: As for the honey?

:doh:

Dammit, Roshi, when won't you be useful?

...How many men do you know named Roshi, Goku?

Oh, whatever, let's just go and do it.

: We'll need those two things before we can do anything else!

Away we go!

To the place where I'll end on a cliffhanger, before asking Roshi where to find the honey of an octagonal beehive!

Stay tuned for the next exciting episode of Let's Play Attack Of The Saiyans!

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

quote:

In fact, since it's Dragon Ball, ain't nobody thinking about that. Also, Keeshhound, I can hear you formulating a response already.

Stop it. Bad Keesh. Bad!

Actually, my thoughts on the matter are: it's dragonball, summon Shenron and have him fix whatever horrible thing happens because the hero was thinking with his heart and not his brain.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
This is the slowest moving fire ever.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

Actually, my thoughts on the matter are: it's dragonball, summon Shenron and have him fix whatever horrible thing happens because the hero was thinking with his heart and not his brain.

Or his stomach, he wants the wedding feast.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
I'm a little disappointed they didn't give you Chi-Chi as a party member. I'm assuming at this point she hasn't fallen behind so much as to be useless.

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug
Is DBZ:Kai different at all from the original anime?

Also, I'm one of those who gets in a hissy when people say Krillin is stronger than Tien. Sorry, Tien actually manages to hold off second form Cell for a bit, and even is momentarily helpful against Super Buu later on.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The main difference with Kai is that it cuts out all of the filler and padding from the original anime, cutting the episode count by about half. There's also some picture restoration and a few reanimated scenes.

ParanoidLogician
Jul 24, 2012

Where did the punster go when he was defeated? The "punitentiary"!

Heir03 posted:

Also, I'm one of those who gets in a hissy when people say Krillin is stronger than Tien. Sorry, Tien actually manages to hold off second form Cell for a bit, and even is momentarily helpful against Super Buu later on.

Let's not forget that on the subject of Cell, Krillin landed the Destructo Disk on Perfect Cell and it did NOTHING to Cell at all.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy
Why does the green Ghost enemy have a thong on its head?

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

ParanoidLogician posted:

Let's not forget that on the subject of Cell, Krillin landed the Destructo Disk on Perfect Cell and it did NOTHING to Cell at all.

That's anime filler, in the Manga the Destructo Disk never failed to cut anything.

Also I'm honestly a little disappointed that you don't get to have Chichi in your party as a temporary party member or something during this part at least. Like, give her just a basic combo and start her at level 6. This is right after the tournament where she and Goku fight! She has not transformed into Mom yet!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Mr. Soop posted:

Why does the green Ghost enemy have a thong on its head?

It's actually a common feature in the depiction of yuurei, which are basically Japanese goasts.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

That's anime filler, in the Manga the Destructo Disk never failed to cut anything.

Also I'm honestly a little disappointed that you don't get to have Chichi in your party as a temporary party member or something during this part at least. Like, give her just a basic combo and start her at level 6. This is right after the tournament where she and Goku fight! She has not transformed into Mom yet!

There's a reason they haven't. She'd only be temporary which would cut into Goku's XP growth (Since she'd divide the amount by half), and there's no other case of a Temporary party member. Same reason Chiaotzu doesn't get a slot. Now they could program a system that has her give her XP to Goku when she departs, but then that's a free *however much XP it takes to get to level 6* on top of the XP she leeched.

So why not permanent? Because right after this segment she does go full mom, and as much as we're adapting filler, we're still adapting the Saiyan Saga. If it were just "Generic Dragon Ball RPG set after the 23rd WMT until the birth of Gohan" there'd be no excuse for Chi-Chi not being a party member.

Xenav
Feb 21, 2012

After what we've seen, we're going to need more than THAT to save us...

DukeofCA posted:

I'm a little disappointed they didn't give you Chi-Chi as a party member. I'm assuming at this point she hasn't fallen behind so much as to be useless.

Considering she decently held her own against Goku in the tournament, I'd say she would probably be nearly as strong as Goku was then. I'm no expert on DBZ rough powers, but it's just an interpretation of the scene.

However, I'm betting for size limitations, they decided not to allow temporary party members that would never be used again, including other things you have yet to show that hint at the party size hard limit. Then again... I would want to see a power leveled ChiChi take on the secret boss of the game. :allears: I just want to see if you're going to abuse a certain equipment combination once you get it... Model Full Moon + HEAD-CHA-LA

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Xenav posted:

Considering she decently held her own against Goku in the tournament, I'd say she would probably be nearly as strong as Goku was then. I'm no expert on DBZ rough powers, but it's just an interpretation of the scene.

However, I'm betting for size limitations, they decided not to allow temporary party members that would never be used again, including other things you have yet to show that hint at the party size hard limit. Then again... I would want to see a power leveled ChiChi take on the secret boss of the game. :allears: I just want to see if you're going to abuse a certain equipment combination once you get it... Model Full Moon + HEAD-CHA-LA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyOnv0O7Sew

I wouldn't say she held her own, but she's definitely at the level here where I would say he was around when he fought... the Red Ribbon army? considering no special training from Roshi or Korin, but a lot of years of fighting dinosaurs and just being the daughter of the Ox-King.

This has less to do with Chi-Chi and more to do with Goku just got off years of training with Kami. When you get off training with literal GOD for a few years, there's not a lot of people who can match up to you.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
It WOULD be pretty cool if you could somehow get Chi-chi as some sort of secret party member for the latter section of the game; personality aside, she WAS one of the strongest people on Earth at the time, and one of the few with martial arts training comparable to the others.

But alas, not happening.

In any case, Annin! She pretty cool, for being one of those one-off characters vaguely related to the afterlife. For the game they actually switched things around what happened in filler; episodes leading up to this point were about gathering the materials, with the focus being the Bansho Fan (which was being used as a dustpan, of all things). Here, she already has the thing and sends you out to get the other items. Kinda works better from the game perspective, but it's something interesting to note.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Heir03 posted:

Is DBZ:Kai different at all from the original anime?

Krillin killed Cell.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

Gohan caught Cell's Destructo Disks :v:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do like that you had a boss fight with someone who was just humoring you.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Glazius posted:

I do like that you had a boss fight with someone who was just humoring you.

This was the entire premise of like the last third of Battle of Gods.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Waffleman_ posted:

It's actually a common feature in the depiction of yuurei, which are basically Japanese goasts.

Japanesse goats have panties on their heads?
Don't the horns get in the way?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Oh man, I can't believe there's a LP for this. This game was fantastic and I hope there's a 3DS sequel or equivalent in the future.

azren posted:

That makes me a little sad; Freeza has always been my favorite DBZ villain.

Agreed. Freeza is the best.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 5, 2015

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug

Galick posted:

Gohan caught Cell's Destructo Disks :v:

Also not in the manga. :D

Frieza is my favorite DBZA villain.

"Oh look...MORE baby seals..."

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
DBZA Freeza is just regular Freeza with a slightly different voices and new jokes. That character is otherwise basically the same. And it's wonderful.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Update Ten: Old Foes Return! Why Are They Seeking The Egg Of The Fire-Eater Bird!?

Howdy, folks, and welcome back! Last time, on Attack of the Saiyans, we met and fought Annin, who then told us how we could help save the Ox-King's life, by gathering part of the shell of the egg of the Fire-Eater bird and honey from an octagonal beehive. Today, we'll be egg hunting, so let's head out.

Where I'd cut off last time, Goku and Chi-Chi had just burst into Roshi's house to ask him about where to find what we need to plug the hole in the bottom of the magical furnace.

We fade to black as Goku tells Roshi that he fought a woman who's probably some sort of low-level deity.

At some point, Krillin, Tien and Yamcha join the conversation.

I should mention that nobody will ever check Roshi for just using the Bansho Fan as a potholder. This could have been done and over by now if not for his shenanigans.

Oh, yeah, do you like food puns and stuff? Because there's a lot of them in Dragon Ball. Many of the locations we'll encounter in this game have some sort of food in their name.

No it's not, Goku.

Despite being one of the better martial artists in the world right now, Chi-Chi doesn't do poo poo with that here.

She could probably kick the asses of most of the guys in this room, but we're not going to have her as a party member.

But, hey, whatever.

Sure, he'll be fine. He'll be soaking up all the EXP and AP on his own, so he'll grow stronger really quickly.

Actually, no, that's not happening. We're about to have a full party again, and have one person on the bench.

It's Tien.

It's not like there was much to it, Krillin. Ox-King's poo poo is on fire, he's going to die, Goku beat up Annin, and now we're acting as supernatural plumbers.

Ox-King is such a cool dude, most folks would risk their life for him.

Yamcha is coming along as this is still the point in the series where he's relevant in a fight and still good at punching bad guys.

Tien is just a bro and coming along because of that. Plus, he also has this training fetish, so the lure of being able to grow stronger probably helps, too.

Goku doesn't even get a chance to argue. His buddies are coming along.

Which is good. Because Goku would probably get his poo poo wrecked doing either of these dungeons on his own.

Alrighty, folks, let's mosey.

We're out of the early section of the game; the kid gloves weren't ever really on, per se, but now they're fully off. We're getting into the meat here, and the S-Combos are a pretty big part of combat.

In case you'd forgotten what an S-Combo is, it's when two, or more, characters have their Rage Gauges full, and they use the right combination of attacks to unleash a Sparking Combo, which combines their attacks into a stronger one, sort of like a Double Tech in Chrono Trigger.

We now have a spot where we can look at the S-Combos we have, seeing their requirements, and the notes we've collected on them.

They're hidden throughout the world and will reveal one part of an S-Combo.

They're not usually too complicated to figure out from their titles, but sometimes it's nice to have a little hint how to combine them. Some of them, you won't need, like for the requirements for Kamehame Fever. We've got three people with the Kamehameha; you can put it together from there, I'm sure.

We're back in control now, and Oolong is here. He's a shopkeeper, selling items, accessories, and a capsule (that costs 50,000z).

He's selling Rings in the form of all the parameters we have, which increase their respective stat by +3. Krillin picks up a Defense and Agility Ring, while Yamcha gets two Power Rings; Goku keeps what he had before. Krillin is being kitted out as an item thrower, while Yamcha and Goku are my two power guys.

These are our four fighters; Goku is clearly the strongest, but he's also level 11. Yamcha is at 10, while Krillin and Tien are at level 8. Even if Goku's level were similar to the others, he would still be stronger, as he's Goku, and he has great stat gains.

We're starting at the Kiwi Volcano, which is east of Baba's Palace, and south of West City. We can visit East and West City, which I should probably do at some point. Maybe next update.

This is our dungeon for the day.

Seeing as how it's a volcano, there's goddamned lava everywhere. Walking on it will deal damage, much like the poison floor from the Training Island.

There's also a slew of fire-based enemies around here, including Burning Mummies.

Wolf Fang Fist is pretty much Yamcha's go-to Skill, as it drops a bunch of damage at once. While his accuracy still isn't great, he's still hitting like a truck.

These guys aren't too tough, and I'd show off more of what they could do, but, well...I may have annihilated them before they had that chance.

Krillin is lagging behind, but that's okay. He may wind up as the strongest Earthling some day, but today is not that day.

For reference's sake, here's what Goku and Yamcha are doing with their regular physicals. They're definitely built to be fighters, while Krillin is built to be a support character. He's got some powerful attacks of his own, but he's really good at throwing items and keeping others going, which is why I gave him the Defense and Agility rings; he's gotta survive and be quick to keep the others alive to crush face.

EXP in this game is divided up, so if someone were alone, they would have gained 600 EXP all to themselves. Inactive characters gain EXP, too, but at a severely reduced rate, around 10% or so.

I took this time to spend some AP on our party; Krillin learned the Destructo Disk, while Goku had an upgrade to his Kamehameha and Yamcha upgraded his Wolf Fang Fist.

These guys are also wandering around here, and they're the kind of enemies who fall under the category of "more annoying than threatening."

This is part of the reason why. This is a very hefty boost to their defense. How hefty, you ask?

Well, this is probably a good showing of how much.

Goku and Yamcha can break 50, but that isn't much.

He has an attack where he makes like a Goron and rolls into a character repeatedly.

Guarding it hurts like hell, but unguarded will wreck your day.

Here's the final facet of what makes him so damned annoying. This not only lowers someone's Evasion, but also drops their Speed.

And their EXP isn't anything great, either.

There's a few bits of treasure scattered about here, too. This heals 50% of a character's HP and Ki.

On the next screen, we see that chest there, but we'll get to it in a minute.

So, let's talk about Krillin's new skill. You'll notice the targeting box is much longer than usual; it can hit enemies who are lined up, which is a very nice feature of it.

Destructo Disk is pretty much Krillin's signature attack, and one of the most recognizable in the series, I would think.

It deals solid damage, isn't too expensive to use, and you see the "Resist" that popped up there? Destructo Disk also has a small chance to instantly kill whatever enemy it hits. It's not a great chance, but it'll go up as we level it up; it'll never be a great chance, and I'd be surprised if we saw it trigger during this playthrough.

Goku is blasting the Magman with his new Kamehameha, which deals a bit more damage than before. How fun!

While Yamcha shows off his new Wolf Fang Fist to the Yorgan. There were still a few misses in here, so if he had hit with them all, this would have been much closer to Goku's Kamehameha.

This rock here needs to be dropped.

You can do it with any character's Ki blast, but I find it most fitting to use the Destructo Disk to cut it down. Entirely unnecessary, but it just feels right, y'know?

And just like that, we've created a platform to cross over with.

Time for our final new enemy of the update.

A goddamned dragon.

...Goddammit, Krillin...

He's the toughest normal enemy around, with lots of health and some damaging attacks. Thankfully, our characters will generally outspeed him, which helps.

I have a lot of trouble not showing shots where I'm just blasting something with a Kamehameha.

This is through an Advance Guard, so this guy hits like a motherfucker.

But that's not the only attack he's got going for him.

He can also light a character on fire, also for a ton of damage.

We get a nice amount of EXP for our troubles; this guy can also drop a Medium Bean, if he's so inclined, as well as some attack items to deal Fire damage.

To complete our path, we drop another rock.

Alright, I'm going to take a moment to discuss the Yorgan and Magman a little more than I did before.

The Magman can use a slide similar to that of Mega Man in one of the NES games, but with the added benefit of being on fire.

The Yorgan can slash at someone for good damage. Hell, just about everything in here is dealing good damage.

Not much more of a discussion on these two, but at least now you have an idea of what they're like.

We blow up this rock to reach some more treasure chests.

Including a revival item. Hopefully I don't gently caress up and use this when I don't mean to again.

And then on the southern path, we find these. Like the Gas Mask does for poison floors, this will protect us when walking across lava, as well as raising our fire resistance. They immediately go on standby, as I'm still grinding carrots. I'll need 1,000 of those eventually.

I hit the save point and move on.

Oooh, look at all the shiny treasure! :swoon:

...Motherfucker! We have to get our Ki-Blast up to Level 2 before we can break those rocks.

As a consolation prize, we get this; when equipped, if a character is damaged by a Ki attack, they regain a little bit of Ki.

And it'll be a looooooooong goddamned time before we have a Level 3 Ki-Blast and can break these kinds of obstacles.

So, let's go finish up this dungeon.

Interacting with this broken egg is what will kick off the finale to this dungeon.

Must be one hell of a big bird.

We all know it's not that easy, right? Not only is this an RPG and a video game, but it's also Dragon Ball. Nothing is ever that simple.

Getting worried!? Goku, what the hell is wrong with you!? He was two seconds away from being fricasseed before you left!

Goku's finely tuned senses pick up a disturbance behind them.

The sprite is small and hard to pick out some details on, but that is a dog dressed like a ninja.

And that's the woman who he works with.

You should know this, Goku. You've met these guys before.

Shu and Mai are far more prominent in Dragon Ball than they ever were in Dragon Ball Z.

It took Goku a minute, but he's figured out who these fellows are.

Did Krillin meet the Pilaf Gang? I'm pretty sure he did. He should recognize these two. Or maybe he does and just doesn't say anything.

: A man feared in every corner of the dark underworld!

: Robbery, murder, speeding, extortion, pickpocketing, dine 'n' dash...

: He'll do anything...anything...for money! I've heard he'd even slit his momma's throat for a nickel!

Oh, look at the little blue shnook.

Emperor Pilaf, you son of a bitch. There's a ton to say about this guy, so I don't even know where to start. Hell, just look this over for more detail than I can give you.

Unfortunately we do, Tien.

Pilaf is egotistical, focused, an rear end in a top hat, and loves money and material things. He's also fairly short-tempered, but Shu and Mai are completely loyal to him.

Shu dreams of world-conquest, whereas Pilaf doesn't seem supremely interested in that. He probably wouldn't turn it down, though.

: This egg is mine! All mine!!

No, I'm not missing any shots or anything. The fight just starts that suddenly.

Pilaf has no compunctions with making threats or doing what he has to when trying to get his hands on something he wants.

I really should just let these guys start talking for themselves. I'm starting to feel a little redundant.

You'll notice behind Shu that there is only one enemy on the field.

This is a boss fight, but only against Shu.

Not that he knew it was coming, either.

So, this is the Shu Machine. :ducksiren:Video link is here, as per usual.:ducksiren:

I'm starting this fight off with everyone's basic combo skills, to boost those Rage Gauges.

He's got some pretty good defenses, being in a fighting robot.

One interesting thing with fighting robotic enemies is that they take less damage from physicals, but Ki attacks will wreck their poo poo.

The Shu Machine, despite the general dopeyness of the guy piloting it, is pretty damned tough. Granted, I miss the Guard here, but that's still not a number I like seeing.

He's got 3,500 HP to tear through, too.

And since people seemed to enjoy the last .gif I posted of Krillin being shot, here's another one.

Yes, he has an attack where he fires a missile right out of his crotch.

In addition to dropping some solid damage, it also has a chance to Stun a character, which is possibly worse.

In any boss fight, remember to keep your health high. Krillin doesn't have a ton to begin with, and it's easy to stop paying attention for a minute, miss a Guard, and watch as our bald little Orin buddy bites the dust.

So, who wants to see a new S-Combo?

This combo is done with these three fighters; each of them must use their Kamehameha attack to activate it.

It starts with Krillin booting Shu's rear end way back.

And then he begins charging up his Kamehameha.

Yamcha is already in position, gathering energy for his Kamehameha.

While Goku is doing the same.

And then all three fighters launch the powerful waves at the same time.

Which smash into the helpless foe.

This hits multiple times, dealing heavy damage.

615...Not bad. Not bad at all. In the video, you can hear me scrambling through the menu, thinking I had an Attack Water to use; if I had been able to use one, I think this would have broken 800 damage.

For the most part, this is a good strategy for the fight. Blast him with your Ki attacks. And no, Krillin's instant-death attack will never trigger on a boss, I'm sad to say.

Yamcha is still not great with his Kamehameha, but that's okay. I'm allocating his points so he's really good at Wolf Fang Fisting stuff.

Here's something we haven't encountered before. See how each character has the Advance Guard symbol over their head? Even though I've tried my damndest, I've never been able to get more than one person into Advance Guard for this, so I'm pretty sure you just have to pick who's going to get hosed up less when you see it happen.

I went with Krillin, as I like the guy, and enough bad poo poo will happen to him during his life.

That was spread among all three characters, but that's still kind of a scary number.

Anyways, this ends the fight. Kamehame Fever is a pretty good S-Combo, and the participants are party members who are pretty good to have around, too.

We gain a nice bit of EXP for this fight, too.

Enough for Krillin to gain two levels, while Goku and Yamcha get one. I don't remember if Tien leveled up or not.

Bosses can't be turned into carrots, so we make money from those fights, no matter what. The Scrap Iron he drops is purely an item to sell to vendors, and it's worth a pretty penny.

After the fight, Mai is extremely casual about chatting with the guys she just saw beat up a robot fighter piloted by a ninja dog.

Hell, Shu doesn't seem all that fazed by it, either.

'course, these guys either don't recognize Goku, as he was still a little 'un when they last saw him, or they kinda just forgot who he was. With these three, it could go either way.

You can practically hear whatever composure was present crack.

And now it's shattered like a window with a baseball thrown through it.

Emperor Moron Pilaf comes to a sudden realization.

He was probably picking his nose while they were talking and not paying attention.

He proceeds to clear out, terrified of getting his rear end beat (and rightly so!)

And with that, Shu and Mai run after Pilaf.

Surely, we'll never encounter them ever again. How could you even think such a thing? :rolleyes:

Alright, that's what we came for. Coolio.

And that ends this update. All in all, not a bad little dungeon to go through, and the boss fight isn't too bad, either. There's some treasures I can grab with the Cold Boots, but I'll probably do that off-screen, as I don't think there's anything incredibly note-worthy, but if there is, I'll make special mention of it next update.

Speaking of which, we're going to Mount Frappe next update. Stay tuned!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Ah, our recurring "Wait the Saiyans only really consitute about 2 fights, poo poo we need filler" bosses. Pilafs gang!

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Leavemywife posted:

Did Krillin meet the Pilaf Gang? I'm pretty sure he did. He should recognize these two. Or maybe he does and just doesn't say anything.
He never actually did, as far as I can remember. Pilaf's first appearance was before Goku and Krillin had met, his second appearance was in a fight that only Goku was around for, and his final one was in the Piccolo saga, during most of which Krillin was pretty dead and Piccolo threw away Pilaf's gang long before he got revived. (idk if it happened in any anime filler.)

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Onmi posted:

Ah, our recurring "Wait the Saiyans only really consitute about 2 fights, poo poo we need filler" bosses. Pilafs gang!

Isn't this just part of the original Dragonball series? I'm... not sure if everything is in the right order, though. I'm guessing we're not even close to DBZ territory.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

Isn't this just part of the original Dragonball series? I'm... not sure if everything is in the right order, though. I'm guessing we're not even close to DBZ territory.

This was the last bit of filler in Dragon Ball before Z began. But needless to say the game is not going to be "Raditz Arrives, Goku's Dead! Goku trains with King Kai, Gohan trains with Piccolo, Z Fights Train with Kami, They get wrecked by Nappa, Goku returns, they wreck Vegeta!"

The AotS Arc does not really have much in the way of RPG stuff on its own.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Yep. Hell, the game gets into entirely made up territory for a good chunk mid-saga due to just how little there is to use.

But ah, Pilaf and co. Its amusing to realise how long they've lasted; probably because in part its extremely easy to write them into a plot, but also honestly, who could willingly kill off these goofs?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Sgt Thud posted:

DBZA Freeza is just regular Freeza with a slightly different voices and new jokes. That character is otherwise basically the same. And it's wonderful.

I think most of us are just glad he doesn't sound like someone's grandmother.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Go home Cell, you're drunk, and also not alive yet.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Still binge reading, but I can try linking to some of the soundtrack on Youtube, if that's alright. Some of the battle themes (especially the one for the Saiyans) are great.

This DBZA joke is making itself.

StrifeHira posted:

Man-wolf is fighter from the previous Tournament who was angry at "Jackie Chun" for destroying the moon in the Tournament prior to that one. Because he's a reverse-werewolf, who only turns into a human upon seeing a full moon.

Jackie Chun uses hypnosis to convince him that Krillin's bald head is a full moon, and... it works. Dragon Ball, folks. :v:

I really need to watch Dragonball sometime.

Leavemywife posted:

I'm going to guess nobody has ever done that to Kami before.

Only Goku would stick his tongue out at God and tell him that his job sucks.

Mr. Soop posted:

Actually, no. It is as dumb as it sounds where it's been retconned to where Roshi has always been that powerful, but only "if he feels like it". :sigh:

So, I guess he just didn't feel like it when he gave up his life to fight King Piccolo? :psyduck:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 5, 2015

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Still binge reading, but I can try linking to some of the soundtrack on Youtube, if that's alright. Some of the battle themes (especially the one for the Saiyans) are great.

I'd have no problems with that. As everyone knows, I'm pretty terrible about remembering music links and stuff, so I'll take any help I can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So, I guess he just didn't feel like it when he gave up his life to fight King Piccolo? :psyduck:

Or when the Saiyans were killing his Students left and right. Or when Raditz kidnapped Goku's son and put Krillin through his house. Basically, Master Roshi is apparently Super Kami Guru levels capable of not giving a poo poo it seems.

Either that or Power Levels are, once again, bullshit. :v:

• Locked thread