Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
As long as the router is configured correctly (not forwarding any ports to the Synology), and the device itself isn't set up to access any internet services (and the configuration options are really obvious), then there's no way in from outside.

If the hackers come to the front door, the Synology inside the house can't even hear the doorbell ringing, much less answer it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
One potential implication is that if they get in to any device on the network, the whole thing is effectively compromised. Whereas with an external drive that's not attached when it's not in use, they don't have any way to get to the data, because of the airgap. But as mentioned above, he could just unplug the RJ-45 and accomplish the same thing.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Wizard of the Deep posted:

If the hackers come to the front door, the Synology inside the house can't even hear the doorbell ringing, much less answer it.
At first I thought you were listing this as an additional, literal, security feature, rather than as an analogy for the one you already mentioned. And I was all like: well, yeah... same goes for my tv too! :v:

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

G-Prime posted:

Is there any faster/better way than just running an rsync to validate that the massive initial data load I did from my old Windows box to my new FreeNAS went off without a hitch? I'd like to not spend another 5-6 days doing the validation.

My usual method with large transfers is to use MD5 checksums. It is about the fastest way to make sure the data is intact. On Windows I either use MD5summer or md5sum in Cygwin.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

internet inc posted:

Also my dad wants to switch from a external hard drive to this setup but he's hesitant because he's afraid hackerz can easily access this compared to an external hard drive you can easily disconnect when you're not using it. Is there anything he can read or watch that would put his mind at ease? I keep telling him that no one cares about his vacation photos and that's pretty much his best defense but it's not quite enough to satisfy him.

He's not wrong, the SynoLocker malware that got a bunch of people was just a little over a year ago.

Of course, this was because people were using an older version of DSM that had a security hole instead of upgrading to the latest version (that had been patched). So just make sure that he's running the latest version of DSM I guess. Or just unplug it like other have said.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 8, 2015

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

RAID is not backup, etc, etc.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Narmi posted:

He's not wrong, the SynoLocker malware that got a bunch of people was just a little over a year ago.

I guess also don't let your Seagate NAS appliance sit around with old firmware thanks to newly discovered backdoors and other vulnerabilities.

Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...

Saukkis posted:

My usual method with large transfers is to use MD5 checksums. It is about the fastest way to make sure the data is intact. On Windows I either use MD5summer or md5sum in Cygwin.

Ok, so I'm going to pose a scenario then. I run a several terabyte NAS, and do nightly rsyncs to a standby NAS as an online "backup". The only way I currently have to verify that everything copied is a log of the details of the copy (copies/deletes), but that's it. I want to make sure the entire contents of the highest level folder of the source is exactly the same as the destinations. I assume I would also do this with checksums? If so, how would I generate one giant checksum for that folder?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Megaman posted:

Ok, so I'm going to pose a scenario then. I run a several terabyte NAS, and do nightly rsyncs to a standby NAS as an online "backup". The only way I currently have to verify that everything copied is a log of the details of the copy (copies/deletes), but that's it. I want to make sure the entire contents of the highest level folder of the source is exactly the same as the destinations. I assume I would also do this with checksums? If so, how would I generate one giant checksum for that folder?

You probably don't want to do that. You aren't saving any time 'doing it all at once'. there are a number of utilities which will generate checksums of each file & compare.

Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...

Skandranon posted:

You probably don't want to do that. You aren't saving any time 'doing it all at once'. there are a number of utilities which will generate checksums of each file & compare.

Such as?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Megaman posted:

If you are able to use a command line, then the easiest way would be to switch to the highest level folder and run command
code:
find . -type f -print0 | xargs -0 md5sum > /checksum_folder/all_files.md5sum
If you only want checksums of the files created or modified in the past 24 hours you can use the command
code:
find . -type f -ctime -1 -print0 | xargs -0 md5sum > /checksum_folder/new_files.md5sum
Checking is done with 'md5sum -c /checksum_folder/new_files.md5sum'.

But if you are using rsync for the transfer, then rsync calculates MD4 checksums of the transferred data so you can be pretty sure the data was transferred correct. It just that the receiving end does the calculation before the data is written to the disk so it's not quite as sure as separate checksums.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
Is there any reason to choose QNAP over Synology at this point? I'm waffling all over on what NAS I want for home use. All we truly need is something to host movies and backup photos and computers that is more robust than an external hard drive connected to a Time Capsule that's connected to our FIOS router. It's a convoluted setup that I'm surprised it even works at all, let alone as well as it does. But we tend to have a lot of buffering issues, and it's just clunky.

I originally thought something like a Synology DS214 or QNAP TS-251, but then I got excited about additional features and thought maybe a Synology DS415+ or QNAP TS-451 or TS-453 would be nice and leave some room to expand as our data grows. It may open up transcoding possibilities and just more power. At this point I've gone round and round on what I want this thing to do. I do know that I don't want to spend the time or have the patience to build my own box and support it. So I want to stick with a pre-made box, I'm just not sure which flavor.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Falco posted:

Is there any reason to choose QNAP over Synology at this point?

Curious about this as well. I'm planning on doing a big home network overhaul but the first step is to get a proper NAS. I was initially looking at the Synology DS414 since Synology is always the name I see thrown around, and I wanted room to expand, but it costs over $600. Then I seen I could get a QNAP TS-431 for $350 which still has 4 bays and they're hot-swappable as well.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Xpenology if you are technically proficient

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Don Lapre posted:

Xpenology if you are technically proficient

I have no problem with the technology, it's more that I want more free time with my family rather than dialing in a homebuilt NAS.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Xpenology is pretty hands off. Installation and setup is like a real unit with the exception of 60 seconds to make a flash drive

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

Don Lapre posted:

Xpenology is pretty hands off. Installation and setup is like a real unit with the exception of 60 seconds to make a flash drive

It's not the software that's the hard part, it's the putting together the system that runs it. My total time installing and configuring FreeNAS was about an hour. Assembling the system and installing/testing all those hard drives took 4x as long.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
My only issue with Xpenology is the "will they/won't they" nature of the updates. I'm still on 5.1 because I'm scared to death to upgrade.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I like the idea of not having to have a file server for hosting media on the backend of my local network infrastructure, and I've been looking into some of the Synology managed NAS devices. How well does their OS work for things like Plex? I know the OS itself supports it natively, but does it actually function well as both a housing mechanism AND the piece hosting and presenting Plex? I'm wondering if it works well enough that I won't actually need a Media server.

I've been looking at both Synology and QNAP for this as they've both been highly recommended. Unfortunately I only know about NAS/SAN from an enterprise perspective, so those products aren't applicable here.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I like the idea of not having to have a file server for hosting media on the backend of my local network infrastructure, and I've been looking into some of the Synology managed NAS devices. How well does their OS work for things like Plex? I know the OS itself supports it natively, but does it actually function well as both a housing mechanism AND the piece hosting and presenting Plex? I'm wondering if it works well enough that I won't actually need a Media server.

I've been looking at both Synology and QNAP for this as they've both been highly recommended. Unfortunately I only know about NAS/SAN from an enterprise perspective, so those products aren't applicable here.

Synologys work great with PLEX though to transcode you gotta have beefy hardware. Synology doesn't have any tv out functionality tough. Its designed to be a server and a server only.

Im assuming you mean a NAS you can plug into your tv like qnap has.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
No, I have an Amazon TV acting as a frontend, so the NAS is purely an infrastructure piece that will sit in my basement. I only care about it presenting the media on the backend.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Plex works perfectly then. I use plex on xpenology and serve a samsung tv's native client and my tivo mini client. I dont know about transcoding performance though as my "synology" has an i3 and 8gb of ram in it so it can do multiple 1080p streams no problem.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

How is the Synology not a file server? It has files, and serves them up to your various devices over a network.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

To clarify, I mean a full Linux/Windows standalone machine acting as an intermediary between storage and presentation. Yes, the Synology acts as a server, but it doesn't have the typical trappings of a server.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

suddenlyissoon posted:

My only issue with Xpenology is the "will they/won't they" nature of the updates. I'm still on 5.1 because I'm scared to death to upgrade.

I updated to 'DSM 5.2-5565 Update 2' quite awhile ago and had no problems, nor have I seen anyone else have any problems.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

H2SO4 posted:

My brain was apparently not firing on all cylinders when I bought HP p410 cards for a non-HP board. I don't get the prompt to get into the configuration utility on boot, but I can control it via hpssacli from VMWare so it should be fine.

That said, this box has two adapters and both are reporting that they're in slot 3. They're showing their respective physical drives just fine, but that just makes me a bit apprehensive about moving forward.

Edit: Oh boy. SGPIO doesn't look like it's working right. When I enable the ID light on one physical disk, four light up.

I have two p410 cards running on a Supermicro board. To configure the cards before an OS is installed you'll need to use the "offline Array configuration utility" which is a downloadable CD image.

I hear you about the slot 3 thing. It's simply a mystery which card is which in ACU as the drop down shows two cards in slot 3. All I know is that my D: drive is the top card in the drop down and my E: is the bottom.

But great cards though. 1gig of battery backed cache on RAID-50 goodness for pennies...

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

H2SO4 posted:

Goddammit. Now I'm not sure what to do. It looks like I can control the p410s from ESX just fine, but the LED thing has me a bit worried. However, I don't know if it's the card or the backplane being stupid. I'd rather not drop $300 on more RAID cards just to find out they have the same problem.

Can you tell me more about your setup?

I have two cards running a total of 16 drives from 4 fan out cables. How is your backplane cabled? A single cable from HBA to board or multiple cables (each representing a drive)?

Don't sweat the two cards in slot 3 thing. I've had them running like this for maybe five years with no problems. Drive failures, yes, but no problems.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

To clarify, I mean a full Linux/Windows standalone machine acting as an intermediary between storage and presentation. Yes, the Synology acts as a server, but it doesn't have the typical trappings of a server.
Underneath it all, Synology DSM is just BusyBox running on a Linux kernel. You could build the same thing hardware-wise with an UCFF-sized or mini-ITX motherboard+cpu combo, memory and a controller of some sort and put FreeNAS/OMV/NAS4Free on it, and fit it all in a case like the DS380 which doesn't take up too much space (in fact, the only issue with builds like these is tha lack of good cases for it). It's well-packaged, but make no mistake about what it is.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

D. Ebdrup posted:

Underneath it all, Synology DSM is just BusyBox running on a Linux kernel. You could build the same thing hardware-wise with an UCFF-sized or mini-ITX motherboard+cpu combo, memory and a controller of some sort and put FreeNAS/OMV/NAS4Free on it, and fit it all in a case like the DS380 which doesn't take up too much space (in fact, the only issue with builds like these is tha lack of good cases for it). It's well-packaged, but make no mistake about what it is.

No, I get that it's going to be made from the common parts bin, I just have no perspective for the reliability and performance of the OS vs. a homebrew offering. I think I'll just build something on my own at this point.

I was also a little curious about the IP Camera management stuff NAS makers seem to be touting these days.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

Plex works perfectly then. I use plex on xpenology and serve a samsung tv's native client and my tivo mini client. I dont know about transcoding performance though as my "synology" has an i3 and 8gb of ram in it so it can do multiple 1080p streams no problem.

How much transcoding does it have to do for a SmartTV? We have one that can play 1080p mkvs fine but the UI is poo poo and certain audio codecs prevent playback. If the TV can play them fine using its uPnP player will Plex be the same? I only have a HP Gen8 so trying to stay away from transcoding. Might give it a try if there is a Plex app for it and then won't have to get another RPi2 OpenElec box for it

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

No, I get that it's going to be made from the common parts bin, I just have no perspective for the reliability and performance of the OS vs. a homebrew offering. I think I'll just build something on my own at this point.

I was also a little curious about the IP Camera management stuff NAS makers seem to be touting these days.

Synology includes surveillance station which works well. You get a license for 2 cameras free

https://www.synology.com/en-us/surveillance/7.0

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

How much transcoding does it have to do for a SmartTV? We have one that can play 1080p mkvs fine but the UI is poo poo and certain audio codecs prevent playback. If the TV can play them fine using its uPnP player will Plex be the same? I only have a HP Gen8 so trying to stay away from transcoding. Might give it a try if there is a Plex app for it and then won't have to get another RPi2 OpenElec box for it

Dunno. its honestly hands off and ive never had to touch it. Just works.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Whos the OEM for these 'generic' drives?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6SP2VW8155

Are they any good/reliable?

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Shaocaholica posted:

Whos the OEM for these 'generic' drives?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6SP2VW8155

Are they any good/reliable?

There probably isn't a single OEM for these. There's only like 3 actual HD manufacturers so it's probably whoever had the available extra stock at the time and could easily change next week/month.

It's only saving you about $25 vs. getting a 6tb WD Red from a real manufacturer.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Krailor posted:

There probably isn't a single OEM for these. There's only like 3 actual HD manufacturers so it's probably whoever had the available extra stock at the time and could easily change next week/month.

It's only saving you about $25 vs. getting a 6tb WD Red from a real manufacturer.

Actually these are much cheaper on eBay (new). I just figured the newegg link was easier to read. Not for a nas. Scratch disks really.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
The posted photos look like WD drives at first glance. But I'm looking at it on a phone and yeah, Krailor has the right about it. Just buy something without the middleman.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Shaocaholica posted:

Actually these are much cheaper on eBay (new). I just figured the newegg link was easier to read. Not for a nas. Scratch disks really.

I wouldn't put any mission critical data on them but if they're just for scratch disks might as well.

Edit: If you're just looking for some cheap drives it's hard to beat the 5tb Toshibas for $140.

Krailor fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 16, 2015

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Krailor posted:

I wouldn't put any mission critical data on them but if they're just for scratch disks might as well.

Edit: If you're just looking for some cheap drives it's hard to beat the 5tb Toshibas for $140.

A seller on eBay just accepted my offer of $200(each) for some new 8tb seagate archive drives. Hope that was a good price.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Just in case anyone cares, there are QNAP boxes on Woot today.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

eightysixed posted:

Just in case anyone cares, there are QNAP boxes on Woot today.

Thanks for the heads up. I was hoping more for the TS-251 or TS-451 line rather than the TS-231/431, but they seem like decent deals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

sharkytm posted:

In case anyone is looking for big cheap drives (and who isn't), the Toshiba 5TB drives are back to $139.99:
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-7200rpm-3-5-Inch-Internal-PH3500U-1I72/dp/B00OP2PKH2

Why do people insist on not shipping to Canada?