Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
Proposed Budget: $15-17,000 USD (somewhat flexible, let's say a hard cap at 20k)
New or Used: Used/CPO
Body Style: SUV or Hatchback (basically no sedans)
How will you be using the car?: Largely commuting, occasional road trips/camping trips, must be dog friendly
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability first, TCO second, mileage third

Quick background: somebody did a hit and run on my girlfriend's 99 Toyota Avalon. Her parents have promised her about $15k to put towards a new (to us) vehicle. The Avalon has served us well but it's not ideal. It doesn't get great mileage and it's not very camping trip or dog friendly, but it has been very reliable.

So we want something with good capacity to throw camping gear and the pooch in, ideally something 4WD/AWD. Our wants are somewhat opposed, since mileage is going to suffer from AWD/4WD, but if it's going to hit all our other needs really well and get only mediocre mileage, we'd still consider it. Vehicles we've been considering:

- Toyota Prius
Obviously great mileage and we can find good, low mile examples comfortably in our price range. Meets the needs for reliability, TCO, mileage, and dog/roadtrip friendly but lacks AWD.

- Honda Element EX
AWD is a plus, roadtrip/camping/dog friendly, not terrible mileage, and I can't seem to find any glaring issues with them. However they've been discontinued for a while so finding a low mileage example isn't easy, although it is in our price range.

- Honda CR-V
An obvious choice, however GF doesn't like them. I may be able to change her mind though?

- Nissan Xterra
Definitely hard to find within our budget, especially something MY11 or newer (don't want older due to the radiator issues). Appears to meet all our criteria except mileage, but it does everything else well and we both like them.

So help me AI, just looking for ideas of models we might've overlooked, or any input on the models we've been considering. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Why are her parents giving you fifteen grand?

Edit: because it sure sounds like you can afford about 2-5k worth of car.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Dad probably hit the car but doesn't wanna own up.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

When you're saying camping trip, what level of roughing it via car are you talking about?

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!
2013 Prius 3 with 50,000 odometer for 13,800USD? I'm leaning towards it, any naysayers?

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Parents are well off basically, and it is meant as a birthday/Christmas present. Without their money, yeah that'd be our budget.

For the record, my car is a 91 RT4WD Wagovan with 350k miles on it. Beater status.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

When you're saying camping trip, what level of roughing it via car are you talking about?

Unimproved access roads, washouts, logging roads - nothing that NEEDS an Xterra-level of capability. We just really like them.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

king of the bongo posted:

2013 Prius 3 with 50,000 odometer for 13,800USD? I'm leaning towards it, any naysayers?

I don't know about the prices on those things, but it should be troublefree.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Outback and Forester should be on your list.

The Xterra is OK if you need that level of capability and pretty much absolute poo poo if you don't.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Outback and Forester should be on your list.

The Xterra is OK if you need that level of capability and pretty much absolute poo poo if you don't.

She's not huge on Subarus but it's been my impression that pretty much every non-Impreza model in the last decade or so has had at least one glaring, expensive issue to look out for - is that not the case?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

SyHopeful posted:

She's not huge on Subarus but it's been my impression that pretty much every non-Impreza model in the last decade or so has had at least one glaring, expensive issue to look out for - is that not the case?

The Impreza and the Forester share powertrains so they all have the same issues.

Older cars had headgasket issues on the 2.5 - if this is done, it's not a problem. If it hasn't, just budget for it. Newer cars are too new to tell.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
Proposed Budget: $20-25k USD
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Sedan, maybe an SUV
How will you be using the vehicle?: Commuting, twice a year long road trips, hauling my wife and daughter
What aspects are most important to you? acceleration, full size, comfortable, feeling of solid build quality, reliability. I'm pretty good at fixing things myself so as long as there's no major reliability issues I'll be alright. Sportiness and handling don't matter to me

I'm going to be getting rid of my Fusion Ti pretty soon. Looking to get something bigger. I'm 6'5'', 280 pounds so fitting a tall guy is a must. 4 doors is strongly preferable. A usable back seat and a good size trunk are a must. I also need a car to feel solid. I can't stand cheap feeling cars.

I'm thinking Ford Taurus, Chrysler 300, Toyota Avalon, and Chevy Impala are where it's at for starting. The Hemi twins (300/charger) are tempting but seem slightly out of my price range. Anything I'm forgetting or should add to that list?

Git Mah Belt Son fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 10, 2015

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
I went to an automall place today to check out a Nissan Versa and Hyundai Accent, and holy crap the Hyundai salesman was pushy. In 20 minutes, he probably said a variant of "what can I do to get you in this car today?" 4 times. I actually was strongly considering a purchase, went with my checkbook, but jeez, that guy really turned me out of the buying mood. He was giving me a huge hassle on asking for an out the door price since I wasn't sure if I was committed to buying today. He was like, "You could just be using us to shop around and get a better price." Guy was a movie stereotype, really seemed predatory and wanting to force an impulse buy. On the other hand, Nissan guy was chill as gently caress and gave 0 pressure.

Versa handles like a boat, but man, that interior space is spectacular. You can really stretch out, let your balls seperate from your legs. It's not a big car, but it almost feels like a crown vic inside. Accent has a sporty drive with very nice interior material. Feels almost exactly like a Fiesta, but with more get up and go. Accent is the nicer drive, but the Versa I'm looking at is a loaner with under 100 miles and at least 2k cheaper than the new accent, and I could comfortably play guitar in the backseat. Dunno what I'm gonna get.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

I'm thinking Ford Taurus, Chrysler 300, Toyota Avalon, and Chevy Impala are where it's at for starting. The Hemi twins (300/charger) are tempting but seem slightly out of my price range. Anything I'm forgetting or should add to that list?

You can take the Taurus off your list (probably). I think they have less usable interior space than a current gen Fusion. The trunk is huge though. Why are you getting rid of the Fusion Ti?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

How will you be using the vehicle?: Commuting, twice a year long road trips, hauling my wife and daughter
What aspects are most important to you? acceleration, full size, comfortable, feeling of solid build quality, reliability. I'm pretty good at fixing things myself so as long as there's no major reliability issues I'll be alright. Sportiness and handling don't matter to me

I'm going to be getting rid of my Fusion Ti pretty soon. Looking to get something bigger. I'm 6'5'', 280 pounds so fitting a tall guy is a must. 4 doors is strongly preferable. A usable back seat and a good size trunk are a must. I also need a car to feel solid. I can't stand cheap feeling cars.

Nissan Maxima, Hyundai Genesis, Hyundai Azera, maybe VW Passat for sedans.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

I went to an automall place today to check out a Nissan Versa and Hyundai Accent, and holy crap the Hyundai salesman was pushy. In 20 minutes, he probably said a variant of "what can I do to get you in this car today?" 4 times. I actually was strongly considering a purchase, went with my checkbook, but jeez, that guy really turned me out of the buying mood. He was giving me a huge hassle on asking for an out the door price since I wasn't sure if I was committed to buying today. He was like, "You could just be using us to shop around and get a better price." Guy was a movie stereotype, really seemed predatory and wanting to force an impulse buy. On the other hand, Nissan guy was chill as gently caress and gave 0 pressure.

Versa handles like a boat, but man, that interior space is spectacular. You can really stretch out, let your balls seperate from your legs. It's not a big car, but it almost feels like a crown vic inside. Accent has a sporty drive with very nice interior material. Feels almost exactly like a Fiesta, but with more get up and go. Accent is the nicer drive, but the Versa I'm looking at is a loaner with under 100 miles and at least 2k cheaper than the new accent, and I could comfortably play guitar in the backseat. Dunno what I'm gonna get.

I had a Versa for a loaner for about 6 hours and I cannot think of something I ever hated driving more than that anemic boat. The Hyundai is about 30 hp more and has a great warranty. Also Versas don't depreciate enough to be worth buying used, for the record.

Is there any reason you aren't considering a Mazda 3 or Focus?

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

IRQ posted:

I had a Versa for a loaner for about 6 hours and I cannot think of something I ever hated driving more than that anemic boat. The Hyundai is about 30 hp more and has a great warranty. Also Versas don't depreciate enough to be worth buying used, for the record.

Is there any reason you aren't considering a Mazda 3 or Focus?

It's practically new (under 100 miles) and we are talking literally over 2k difference between same car and other new ones on the lot with the same trim.This one just has a few months of warranty eaten up. Mazda 3 and Focus aren't that cheap. I want a new car warranty, and I want to be able to not go into debt to get it. I would lease before I buy something I can't cover in cash.

jarjarbinksfan621 fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 10, 2015

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I carpooled in a versa for a while and god that thing was hateful. If you have any major hills (we went over a pass everyday), drone loving city.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

2013 Hyundai Genesis R-spec with the 5.0l. If you can find a 2013 Equus you an try that too but it's probably larger than you need. 2012 was the year they switched to the 8 speed auto, I had a 2013 with the V6 and I was chirping the tires driving around town. Not sure if I would buy one myself because I don't like the exterior styling but otherwise a great car for the price.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Re: Versa hate:

You guys are a bunch of goddamned princesses.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My wife loved her Versa and I told her about the regular Versa hate in this thread and she said "I hate the loving Internet."

nm
Jan 28, 2008

VideoTapir posted:

Yep, living like a princess in my 100hp subcompact that retailed for $15k. It is bright green I guess.
The versa isn't even good compared to its competiton expect for size and being the absolute cheapest thing you can buy unless that mitsu is cheaper.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

VideoTapir posted:

http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shoppers/5-Star+Safety+Ratings/2011-Newer+Vehicles/Vehicle-Detail?vehicleId=9308

http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shoppers/5-Star+Safety+Ratings/2011-Newer+Vehicles/Vehicle-Detail?vehicleId=10028

Or maybe they don't like 2/3 star crash test scores.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

I've seen vehicles recommended here that had them.

http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shoppers/5-Star+Safety+Ratings/2011-Newer+Vehicles/Vehicle-Detail?vehicleId=9259
http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shoppers/5-Star+Safety+Ratings/1990-2010+Vehicles/Vehicle-Detail?vehicleId=2525

It's the specific reasons you people are actually giving for not liking it...the first things that are coming to your minds. The only thing that whines louder than you say the Versa does is this thread about it. I mean drat. Oh woe is my hundred horsepower. Like that isn't enough to get the job done; like most of the world doesn't run their businesses on trucks with less, like we didn't go decades where that would have actually been a desirable number, and the cars from that era can't keep up on the highway today. Like the power to weight ratio isn't better than cars you guys don't complain about.

I've not driven one. I don't know that it isn't garbage. But you guys haven't made anything approaching a good case against it. If you actually had any complaints that didn't sound like checkout counter conversation at a truck nuts retailer you could have dropped them at any time; but nope.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

skipdogg posted:

You can take the Taurus off your list (probably). I think they have less usable interior space than a current gen Fusion. The trunk is huge though. Why are you getting rid of the Fusion Ti?

Good question. It's a bit anecdotal, but my car has been a bit of a lemon so I want to rid myself of it. The car itself is good. Drives well, decently quick. But in 10 months of ownership (less than 12k miles) I've had to bring it to the shop 11 times. Gas tank issues, sunroof wouldn't shut, blind spot monitoring failed, steering column knocked etc.

The GM of the dealership agreed with me and said it has been a pretty big headache, so he offered me a really fair trade if I want to buy something else. I'm considering taking him up on it.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Eh. Don't buy either of those cars.

quote:

It's the specific reasons you people are actually giving for not liking it...the first things that are coming to your minds. The only thing that whines louder than you say the Versa does is this thread about it. I mean drat. Oh woe is my hundred horsepower. Like that isn't enough to get the job done; like most of the world doesn't run their businesses on trucks with less, like we didn't go decades where that would have actually been a desirable number, and the cars from that era can't keep up on the highway today. Like the power to weight ratio isn't better than cars you guys don't complain about.

I've not driven one. I don't know that it isn't garbage. But you guys haven't made anything approaching a good case against it. If you actually had any complaints that didn't sound like checkout counter conversation at a truck nuts retailer you could have dropped them at any time; but nope.

I don't think it matters to most people driving them that it drives terribly, but then why would you buy one over a Fit or a Sonic? If you absolutely need the extra space and can't afford another thousand to step up to something better, get a slightly used C-segment car instead. What does it do that makes you willing to put up with all the deficiencies? I don't think the Versa that people bought was even that cheap - they had one trim that was manual transmission without AC that was advertised for $9k or whatever but as soon as you stepped up to a reasonable level of equipment it didn't cost much less than a real car.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Sep 10, 2015

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

Good question. It's a bit anecdotal, but my car has been a bit of a lemon so I want to rid myself of it. The car itself is good. Drives well, decently quick. But in 10 months of ownership (less than 12k miles) I've had to bring it to the shop 11 times. Gas tank issues, sunroof wouldn't shut, blind spot monitoring failed, steering column knocked etc.

The GM of the dealership agreed with me and said it has been a pretty big headache, so he offered me a really fair trade if I want to buy something else. I'm considering taking him up on it.

People were ribbing me about it in the other thread, but looking at Truedelta, the reported repair frequency of the Fusion are no better than the Audi A6/S6, and the Audis are all either supercharged V6, turbo diesel, or twin turbo V8 with dual clutch and air suspension. The Fusion is not even in the same league as the Camry or Accord in terms of build quality or reliability. Ford vehicles have not become more reliable because they are all now DI turbo dual clutch spaceships.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Proposed Budget: Up to $30k, could go higher if needed but prefer under here
New or Used: New
Body Style: Sedan
How will you be using the vehicle?: Commuting mostly, occasional trips from NY to rural PA (sister lives there but not by choice)
What aspects are most important to you? AWD and reliability

I am reading the discussion a few pages back but the neighborhood I live in starts with a 30 degree reverse S curve incline & if my car doesn't make up that hill (rarely sanded) in a snowstorm, I'm walking a mile to my home.My job is a 24/7 operation but I'm not on call while my parent who is on call 24/7 might need the car if a emergency (weather or otherwise) arises. I'm trying to convince her of snow tires after my car was knocked out of commission in January over ice on said hill but :20bux: remains a issue (She has a Legacy).

I'm been considering either a Ford Fusion, Subaru Impreza or Subaru WRX. I think both the Fusion and Impreza are up for refreshes next year so I would want to wait if possible while the WRX I'm torn due to price and mixed reviews. I'm also open to suggestions as well if I'm off base.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

VideoTapir posted:

I've seen vehicles recommended here that had them.

http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shoppers/5-Star+Safety+Ratings/2011-Newer+Vehicles/Vehicle-Detail?vehicleId=9259
http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shoppers/5-Star+Safety+Ratings/1990-2010+Vehicles/Vehicle-Detail?vehicleId=2525

It is loving loud compared to my 100hp econobox. The cvt, poo poo motor, and lack of sound deadening are bad. The interior is loving playskool as hell. And yes, they drive like utter poo poo. The last one is real but most people care more about the drone and poo poo interior.
Literally anything in that category (I have not drive the mitsu) is 100x better for a few bills more new (or really the same if you want to check any option in the versa).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Island Nation posted:

Proposed Budget: Up to $30k, could go higher if needed but prefer under here
New or Used: New
Body Style: Sedan
How will you be using the vehicle?: Commuting mostly, occasional trips from NY to rural PA (sister lives there but not by choice)
What aspects are most important to you? AWD and reliability

I am reading the discussion a few pages back but the neighborhood I live in starts with a 30 degree reverse S curve incline & if my car doesn't make up that hill (rarely sanded) in a snowstorm, I'm walking a mile to my home.My job is a 24/7 operation but I'm not on call while my parent who is on call 24/7 might need the car if a emergency (weather or otherwise) arises. I'm trying to convince her of snow tires after my car was knocked out of commission in January over ice on said hill but :20bux: remains a issue (She has a Legacy).

I'm been considering either a Ford Fusion, Subaru Impreza or Subaru WRX. I think both the Fusion and Impreza are up for refreshes next year so I would want to wait if possible while the WRX I'm torn due to price and mixed reviews. I'm also open to suggestions as well if I'm off base.

The WRX is a fast Impreza so if you don't give a poo poo about fast, don't get one over the Impreza. The Impreza and the Fusion are both just due for midcycle refreshes so nothing interesting will change.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
The Versa corners like absolute poo poo and the engine will get loud, but it's a comfortable drive. You feel very secure in your lane. Probably would be great for long stretches of highway.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
I'm seriously considering purchasing the loaner "used" Versa I test drove, tomorrow or Sunday. It has like 100 miles on the odometer, and 30 months of the bumper to bumper limited left. Would you guys still get it checked out by a mechanic even though it's well under warranty and obviously has not had a lot of use to it?

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
Anybody have experiences/opinions on the Honda Elements? Most common complaint seems to be that they're somewhat underpowered and thrashy in the engine department but otherwise well-loved.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

SyHopeful posted:

Anybody have experiences/opinions on the Honda Elements? Most common complaint seems to be that they're somewhat underpowered and thrashy in the engine department but otherwise well-loved.

Most people I know with thrm love them. Resale value on them is stupid high though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

SyHopeful posted:

Unless you are super in to cube utilization and the hose-out interior, the CR-V is the same thing for typically less money.

That said, the people I know who have them think they're the poo poo - but they regularly use the hose-out interior and carry a fuckload of stuff all the time.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I'm seriously considering purchasing the loaner "used" Versa I test drove, tomorrow or Sunday. It has like 100 miles on the odometer, and 30 months of the bumper to bumper limited left. Would you guys still get it checked out by a mechanic even though it's well under warranty and obviously has not had a lot of use to it?

Are they giving you some kind of absurd deal, or something? Why not buy a new one - pretty sure they come with decent cash on hood since they're not as good as any of their competitors.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Are they giving you some kind of absurd deal, or something? Why not buy a new one - pretty sure they come with decent cash on hood since they're not as good as any of their competitors.

Yes, it's a very good deal. Over 2k difference between other new ones on the lot with same trim. The salesman assured me I'd pay no more extra than tax, title, and tags. It's actually a good enough deal, that I think they may have mistakenly priced it as if it was an S trim when it's an S+. S+ adds cruise control and a CVT over 4 speed transmission that gives 31/40mpg instead of 26/37mpg.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Yes, it's a very good deal. Over 2k difference between other new ones on the lot with same trim. The salesman assured me I'd pay no more extra than tax, title, and tags. It's actually a good enough deal, that I think they may have mistakenly priced it as if it was an S trim when it's an S+. S+ adds cruise control and a CVT over 4 speed transmission that gives 31/40mpg instead of 26/37mpg.

2 grand off MSRP may not be as good a deal as you think depending on a bunch of factors.
Also, if you're not paying cash, your interest rate will likely be higher. I wouldn't assume a test drive car hasn't been beat on either.

edit: You're losing 6 months of warranty cover too.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Unless you are super in to cube utilization and the hose-out interior, the CR-V is the same thing for typically less money.

The CRV of the same era got significantly better highway fuel economy. Height and drag are real things guys.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Have you had any hailstorms in your area in the last six months?

I think you're comparing to the prices of similar trim vehicles before you negotiate and before incentives &c.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

How cheap is it actually? $12k? $11k?