Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mayor McCheese posted:

Every castle needs an Overseer to do Development, once you max a base you will get that guy back. You can always take them off of the task if you need to use them for something else. You also cannot use officers that are currently out of the castle. Always have 2+ officers for any castle that borders an enemy base.

-You can break the game wide open with the CAW system. You can get a historical victory even with your own created troops as long as they remain loyal to you.

-Pony up to tribes so they can assist in combat. They have a built-in range to your target, once they stop sending reinforcements, it's safe to absorb them into your population for a flat bonus.

-Use Cat icons.

This is tremendously useful, thank you! A couple more questions, if you don't mind:

How do I absorb tribes into my population?

If I take an overseer off of a castle, do they go back when their task is complete?

How do I enable Cat icons?

What is the CAW system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
//How do I absorb tribes into my population?
You need to have max trust. Some tribes wont let you max out their trust unless you meet a certain population in the region.

//If I take an overseer off of a castle, do they go back when their task is complete?
To my knowledge they will, but you'll know right away the moment you try to Develop again.

//How do I enable Cat icons?
I'm unsure if the Steam version supports the Samurai Cat icons. The option should be under Edit Historical Characters.

//What is the CAW system?
Create-a-Wrestler, you can create your own officers with max stats and game breaking skills, then set them anywhere in the game for you to recruit or for you to play as. Have a whole nation of fake Cow Cows.

Hopefully that helps!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mayor McCheese posted:

Hopefully that helps!

Very much so, thanks again!`

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

al-azad posted:

Far Cry is by Crytek and an original level based shooter. Far Cry 2/3/4 are pretty much the same game in new locations and they always improve upon the originals. So yeah, if you must play one then go with 4. Or Blood Dragon which is modern Far Cry condensed into a nonsense 80s cyber hellscape.
Yeah Far Cry 1 is closer to Crysis than anything else. I love it but I seem to be one of a rapidly diminishing few. It’s definitely a bit janky by “today’s standards” but that’s probably not the kind of thing that puts Quarex of all people off.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It’s definitely a bit janky by “today’s standards” but that’s probably not the kind of thing that puts Quarex of all people off.
:madmax:

Yeah I figure since I spent years playing FPSs with keyboard-only controls I can probably handle slightly imperfect modern controls.

Plus I even made it all the way through the Wheel of Time game!

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
With all of the excitement surrounding MGS5:TPP, I have decided to finally start playing MGS5: Ground Zeroes. Anything I should know with this one?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The time it would take to do a write up about about GZ, you would have already finished it.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Chief Savage Man posted:

With all of the excitement surrounding MGS5:TPP, I have decided to finally start playing MGS5: Ground Zeroes. Anything I should know with this one?

the side missions are fun and are where the bulk of the game really is. enemies are less blind in them than the main mission, though, because it's not always raining at night.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

al-azad posted:

Far Cry is by Crytek and an original level based shooter. Far Cry 2/3/4 are pretty much the same game in new locations and they always improve upon the originals. So yeah, if you must play one then go with 4. Or Blood Dragon which is modern Far Cry condensed into a nonsense 80s cyber hellscape.

Far Crys 3 and 4 are almost identical except for small improvements (that actually add up to make a pretty big difference) but I thought 2 was fairly different. It's a lot less user friendly and almost certainly a worse game, but for people who like challenging and unfriendly open world games it's a bit of a cult classic. It's cheesy to say "being a mercenary in a civil war would suck so a game about that should suck too" but the user unfriendliness and the gritty setting and gameplay actually create a pretty coherent and powerful "vibe". I still found it a bit of a chore to play all the way through the story but it certainly had some special and gripping moments.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

gohuskies posted:

Far Crys 3 and 4 are almost identical except for small improvements (that actually add up to make a pretty big difference) but I thought 2 was fairly different. It's a lot less user friendly and almost certainly a worse game, but for people who like challenging and unfriendly open world games it's a bit of a cult classic. It's cheesy to say "being a mercenary in a civil war would suck so a game about that should suck too" but the user unfriendliness and the gritty setting and gameplay actually create a pretty coherent and powerful "vibe". I still found it a bit of a chore to play all the way through the story but it certainly had some special and gripping moments.

Had some excellent fire effects as well.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Captain Novolin posted:

the side missions are fun and are where the bulk of the game really is. enemies are less blind in them than the main mission, though, because it's not always raining at night.

Yeah, don't neglect the side ops. Playing TPP (which is also chock full of fun side ops) has revealed to me how dumb I was to overlook the side missions in GZ. Instead, I finished the main mission and went "that's it?" and sent the game back to gamefly.

Play the side ops! It's a tiny little open world game and you really are meant to do the side stuff after you unlock them through the story mission. I think you also unlock poo poo in TPP if you complete them all.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Had some excellent fire effects as well.

Farcry 2 and Crysis 1 still do foliage and foliage destruction physics better than any other game out there.

And yeah Farcry 2's fire is really good, although 3 and 4 are almost as good. Funny enough 2 still wins out there though, bigger fires that spread a little more.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah, don't neglect the side ops. Playing TPP (which is also chock full of fun side ops) has revealed to me how dumb I was to overlook the side missions in GZ. Instead, I finished the main mission and went "that's it?" and sent the game back to gamefly.

Play the side ops! It's a tiny little open world game and you really are meant to do the side stuff after you unlock them through the story mission. I think you also unlock poo poo in TPP if you complete them all.

Specifically, you get special recruits which aren't the best (except the guy from the intel operative rescue) but are really great to have early on.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Captain Novolin posted:

Specifically, you get special recruits which aren't the best (except the guy from the intel operative rescue) but are really great to have early on.

I'm pretty early on in TPP and would be down to get some decent recruits; if I went back and did the GZ side ops, would the recruits show up the next time I loaded TPP, or would I have to start a new save?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Paper Tiger posted:

I'm pretty early on in TPP and would be down to get some decent recruits; if I went back and did the GZ side ops, would the recruits show up the next time I loaded TPP, or would I have to start a new save?

They patched GZ so you can upload your save then download at any time on TPP. The most important thing is getting the S Rank support operative. Some achievements unlocked in GZ give you a handful of mooks. You'll get the Solid Snake skin if you unlocked it in Deja Vu and an alternate sneaking suit. You'll have to beat a mission or two after transferring before they show up.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 9, 2015

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

al-azad posted:

They patched GZ so you can upload your save then download at any time on TPP. The most important thing is getting the S Rank support operative. Some achievements unlocked in GZ give you a handful of mooks. You'll get the Solid Snake skin if you unlocked it in Deja Vu and an alternate sneaking suit. You'll have to beat a mission or two after transferring before they show up.

Good info, thanks!

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

To be exact, GZ guys are trickled in 4 at a time after missions 3, 6, 9 and 12. My biggest tip I never see mentioned is don't worry if you miss DD in Afghanistan, the setup for finding him in Africa is way better

You'll also want to beeline post 14ish or so for the gunsmith sideops which unlock weapon customization.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

al-azad posted:

Does the ranking of the mission in GZ affect the quality of the prisoner recruits you get from the other missions that's not the rescue intel operative?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Geektox posted:

Does the ranking of the mission in GZ affect the quality of the prisoner recruits you get from the other missions that's not the rescue intel operative?

I don't know. By the time you get all of them your fame will be so high that random volunteers will outclass the GZ prisoners.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I just realized how much of a habit it's become to check the wiki before I start playing a new game. It's a pretty good source of non-spoiler game tips. Thanks for maintaining it Centipeed.
I'm curious if it has any presence outside of SA, has anyone seen it referenced or mentioned anywhere else?

Also, Final Fantasy Type-0, anything I should know?

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Geektox posted:

Their stats are static.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Am I right in assuming that I'll run into animals I need for upgrades if I just keep dicking with story missions? Or should I be running around to all the radio towers first?

edit: I suppose it would help if I mentioned Far Cry 3 at some point.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

juliuspringle posted:

Am I right in assuming that I'll run into animals I need for upgrades if I just keep dicking with story missions? Or should I be running around to all the radio towers first?

Look at your map. The animals in that region are illustrated there.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

juliuspringle posted:

You won't find the animals organically by doing story missions, you'll have to specifically hunt for them. It's a little tedious in my opinion.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

You won't find the animals organically by doing story missions, you'll have to specifically hunt for them. It's a little tedious in my opinion.

In Red Dead Redemption there are animals you can't find outside of specific areas that you can't get to until you do story missions that unlock the next area. Was just wondering if Far Cry 3 did the same type of thing or if I can keep dicking around trying to upgrade my gear.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Ainsley McTree posted:

There are missions for unique named animals, though. Those you can't get otherwise.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

juliuspringle posted:

You may run into a few of them, but like others said you mostly have to go out of your way if you really want them.

In particular the harness or whatever that lets you carry more guns is like mandatory to craft ASAP. As soon as the game starts I go hunting for things to craft that, and then maybe the thing that lets you carry more ammo and more medicine, and then you can go back to playing the game normal.

Also the story kinda sucks balls, the game is better if you just enjoy the open world, kill dudes, hunt animals and capture outposts while driving jeeps and jet-skis around for fun than doing the story missions. I personally think FC3 is best when you install the mods that unlock everything from the get-go or based on capturing outposts and just ignore the bat-poo poo stupid story.

That said there are a couple of cool sequences in the story here and there, so if you want to suffer through it to see them, go ahead.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

anilEhilated posted:

There are missions for unique named animals, though. Those you can't get otherwise.

Yeah, those are for the best/last upgrade for each thing. Also, the second island is locked behind the story but I can't remember if there are any new animals there.

Zaphod42 posted:

That said there are a couple of cool sequences in the story here and there, so if you want to suffer through it to see them, go ahead.

After Vaas Far Cry 3 goes way downhill because he was at least an entertaining villain, but yeah to me taking out the outposts was a lot more fun than the story. I haven't finished FC4 yet but so far I'm not impressed with its story either.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 10, 2015

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Anyone do one of these for Pillars of Eternity?

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 10, 2015

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

Bought Splinter Cell:Blacklist as part of a Humble Bundle. Never played a Splinter Cell game before but I love sulking around and picking enemies off. Anything I should know, particularly when it comes to spending money? Thanks!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Is there anything I should know for Dying Light beyond the little bits on the wiki? I recently started over because I was having a rough time, and I've only gotten to the point where I need to go meet Rais.

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell

ArgaWarga posted:

Bought Splinter Cell:Blacklist as part of a Humble Bundle. Never played a Splinter Cell game before but I love sulking around and picking enemies off. Anything I should know, particularly when it comes to spending money? Thanks!

There's not much you really need to know, there are no real pitfalls to be aware of. The game rewards you with more points if you pick a playstyle and stick with it throughout the mission, but money becomes irrelevant towards the end anyway after you get some decent gadgets. Consider upgrading the goggles soonish, since they get a lot better after the first few upgrades.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

-Blackadder- posted:

Anyone do one of these for Pillars of Eternity?

- If you like mages, be aware that almost every spell has friendly fire, even on Easy. Ciphers are the exception, where almost none of their spells have FF.
- You can build a Fighter to be pretty much an invincible tank god, and the build is pretty intuitive. Great for walling for your casters, or for surviving bad situations. Super boring.
- Positioning is key in combat. Try to engage anywhere with arches or doorways. If you take feats that increase your number of engaged enemies, that's basically "targets who you get attacks of opportunity against if they try to move past you or cast spells."
- Make sure to micromanage your guys' commands because the party AI is a little bad and your casters will try to walk around your Fighter to punch guys if you don't issue spellcasting commands.

- Fighters are, as previously mentioned, tanky as hell. I once had the Fighter who joins your party take on a dozen guys stronger than he was and win because they couldn't hit him enough to outdamage his natural regen. You can get into a major battle and then go make lunch. When you come back, you'll have won.
- Paladins are, uh
- Monks are burst damage melee combatants. They tear poo poo up, but they're kinda papery. You need to babysit them and give them lots of micro or they'll die before they can do their job.
- Rogues are weird utility fighters. You have to micromanage their positioning on the field. They work well with other melee characters (with the right feats, my Rogue was doing hundreds of damage per hit due to sneak attack). By themselves, they're garbage.
- Wizards are pretty self-explanatory. I actually don't care too much for them because they're Vancian casters and they're trash once they run out of spells.
- Clerics are D&D style: lots of support and healing, and a surprising amount of damage capabilities. They're useful even when they run out of MP since they have lots of per-encounter abilities. The one who joins you is an rear end in a top hat, so you should keep him around if you like that.
- Bards are cool, they aren't too strong but their songs are actually useful. They used to be super broken to the point where their reload speed song stacked so hard that they would shoot guns faster than archers could shoot bows. They took too much preplanning for me to bother with, though.
- Rangers are all right. They have a pet that can distract enemies, and some low-level Druid spells disguised as per-encounter skills. Not bad at range, but iirc you can build them in multiple directions and can accidentally gently caress it up and make them really junk. I liked to use the one who joins you once in a while because she has funny banter with Edér.
- Ciphers are my favorite caster class. They regen their MP to full after every encounter, and they have all kinds of spells to disable the entire enemy party long enough for your heavy hitters to get in there and wipe them out before they can even stand back up. I didn't like the one who joins you at all, but it was my main character's class, so it worked out.
- Druids are... I dunno, a mixed bag? I used the one who joins you and he was okay. Their spells seem a little finicky about whether or not they even hit. They can turn into werebeasts and melee things once they run out of MP.
- There aren't any storyline Rogues or Monks, so you have to either play as one or make one at an inn if you want them in your party.

- Max out your trap skill. It influences the range at which you can spot traps, and affects your success rate when disabling them.
- On that note, traps will ruin your loving day. I stepped on one that gibbed me at full health.

- Quick Switch is a good feat if you like firearms since it lets you shoot four times without having to reload, which is a very slow process.
- Shotgun-type weapons are great for Ciphers since they regenerate MP every time they land a hit, and each of the multiple hits from a scattergun will count as a full regen hit.

- Playing on Expert Mode removes targeting circles.
- You have two health meters: your Endurance, which is the amount of damage you can take in a single encounter before fainting; and Health, which is your overall HP. If that runs out, that character dies permanently. No revives, no takebacks, I don't care if you're playing on Hardcore Mode or Easy Difficulty.
- The vanilla level cap is 12. Plan your feats and skills accordingly if that's your thing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Oh, one thing I just remembered about Farcry 3: Make sure you turn off the god drat SSAO because its probably the worst implementation of SSAO I've ever seen in any videogame ever.

It just draws a huge black smudge around all the objects in the world. It in no way makes things look more "real", and in fact it turns grass into this bizarre sea of green and black.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

- There aren't any storyline Rogues or Monks, so you have to either play as one or make one at an inn if you want them in your party.
I think this has changed now that the first expansion is out. I'm pretty sure that Barbarian is the only class that still doesn't have NPC representation.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

ArgaWarga posted:

Unlike most other stealth games Sam loves to climb on pipes to get almost anywhere, be on the lookout for them. Money becomes inconsequential about halfway through so just buy whatever you like. The game is quite flexible to your approach and tactics so I can't see you screwing yourself over.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

You covered it, but I just wanted to recommend making your main character a Cipher. On top of being one of the most powerful classes having a Cipher PC gives you unique dialog options and even a sidequest outcome that no other class gets.

Also, you can recruit and build NPCs in taverns, so you don't necessarily have to feel constrained to using the named characters. The cleric has a really good character quest, the fighter's is pretty good as well, and the rest were forgettable. Ranger and paladin quests might have been okay but I found the classes pretty weak so I skipped them.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Foxhound posted:

I just realized how much of a habit it's become to check the wiki before I start playing a new game. It's a pretty good source of non-spoiler game tips. Thanks for maintaining it Centipeed.
I'm curious if it has any presence outside of SA, has anyone seen it referenced or mentioned anywhere else?

Have some stats! In the month of August:

Of those 10,086 sessions:

So almost all of the traffic is people finding it in Google, or people going directly to the website. This is a bit misleading since it seems most people who arrive at the site via Google do so by typing the name of the site into Google. So they just can't remember the address :P

Of those 688 referrals:

Please note that any site which looks like I'm paying it to provide traffic are not my doing. I have no idea how sites like "get-free-traffic-now.com" are getting in there :S

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i'm chinese-amezon.com

are there any classes in dragon age: inquisition that i'm better off being due to npcs?

baram. fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

baram. posted:

i'm chinese-amezon.com

are there any classes in dragon age: inquisition that i'm better off being due to npcs?

No, the classes and specializations are all pretty well represented. I thought the Knight Enchanter (Mage subclass) was fun as hell and the NPC for it was one of the weakest characters.

Don't play a tank IMO. It's boring and the AI tanks well.