Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

Azran posted:

I will be so mad if we get boats before italians.

But that way they could immediately include the Regina Marina once the Italians are out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
So are the new BR ratings already implemented but not showing up on my client yet or is the matchmaking in AB really hosed? I played a few rounds of ground forces AB with a buddy who doesn't enjoy RB and with a max 6.7 loadout I've been seeing IS-4M, T-10M, M60 and the occasional Maus every other round. I assumed with that many more players in AB the MM spread would be less and not more.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Nuramor posted:

But that way they could immediately include the Regina Marina once the Italians are out.

I mean, there's no way they aren't adding Italians because they seem to be pretty popular, had a really good navy and it's the only other fully-fledged Axis power that can compete against Allies by itself in at least two game modes (naval and air). That said, I wonder what they'll do with Japanese and Italian tanks.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Feindfeuer posted:

So are the new BR ratings already implemented but not showing up on my client yet or is the matchmaking in AB really hosed? I played a few rounds of ground forces AB with a buddy who doesn't enjoy RB and with a max 6.7 loadout I've been seeing IS-4M, T-10M, M60 and the occasional Maus every other round. I assumed with that many more players in AB the MM spread would be less and not more.

Are you sure you don't have a Kugelblitz slotted? It's 7.0 in arcade.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Preechr posted:

Are you sure you don't have a Kugelblitz slotted? It's 7.0 in arcade.

That's it, I still have the tech-tree set to RB where it's 6.7. I'm an idiot.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Azran posted:

I mean, there's no way they aren't adding Italians because they seem to be pretty popular, had a really good navy and it's the only other fully-fledged Axis power that can compete against Allies by itself in at least two game modes (naval and air). That said, I wonder what they'll do with Japanese and Italian tanks.

Probably as a few premiums.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

There doesn't seem to be any point in flying anything German that isn't a single seat fighter - is there anything worthwhile up the bomber and attacker trees, or should I stop bothering with them altogether?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The BF110, the Me 410 B6/R6 and maybe one of the earliest Do 217, the one with 4 20mms.

As an aside, the B17 is so goddamn useless for CARB. Even the slightest movement at 300 IAS will break its wings.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

lenoon posted:

There doesn't seem to be any point in flying anything German that isn't a single seat fighter - is there anything worthwhile up the bomber and attacker trees, or should I stop bothering with them altogether?

I have a similar question about the Russian bombers, I've loved the IL-2 line but the IL-4 and others along the bomber line seem really underwhelming.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
By the midgame I generally can't use 20mm cannons on planes for ground attack any more, it's usually 37mm or bust at that point.

EDIT: Or a bigger caliber like the 45 or :godwinning: 75mm :godwinning:

spectralent fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Sep 13, 2015

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Wild Horses posted:

So the n1kJ seems like a powerhouse. Anything special you need to keep out for when flying it or is it just zero +1

Japan in general owns with even the Zeroes that are great despite being so highly specialized. The N1K plays almost like an endgame Yak should feel like but with a poo poo-ton more ammo and is still actually extremely competitive against pretty much anything it comes up against.

lenoon posted:

Yeah, Germany is basically all about the 109/190. The other planes are pretty great in SB though where stuff like the 410 can pull crazy snaproll spins and instantly regain control and slower, less agile BnZ isn't a problem because most people can't see behind them. But really you can even fly a Kingfisher in SB and do alright so it isn't just Germany. The 110 is good but you pretty much get it automatically and the 217s are more for experienced players that don't play alone. The bombers are all pretty bland in terms of performance but help keep things interesting in a game that mostly has allied players bothering with ground attack. Stukas are a favorite among really good players that want to play hardmode but like the Il-2 they can be frustrating if you don't know what you're doing.

In arcade the other planes do well because of raw firepower but again these likely won't be your first choice if all you care about is winning and want to minimize your chances of dying. USA is the best nation for twin engine fighters with the F7F and P-38 while Japan has the fun ones that get huge gently caress-off cannons. But a 262 is basically a flying shotgun in AB jet tier.

Thief fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Sep 13, 2015

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Azran posted:

Italians and Japanese, if the T25 and Panther II are a precedent, are totally doable. Italy's only real problem is T5 where they've mostly got German/American stuff, Japan has basically gotten the all clear now that 70s equipment is a-okay.

Aesaar
Mar 19, 2015

lenoon posted:

The bomber 410s are pretty decent ground attackers in CARB. The bombload is alright (2x500kg dropped separately), they have airbrakes, they're fast, and they're well armed enough to defend themselves or shoot down enemy planes once their bombs are dropped. Far better attackers than the Stukas. And the B-6/R-3 is a great attacker in both CARB and normal air RB because the MK-103 is the best all-purpose aircraft gun in the game.

In any case, you want to go down the German heavy fighter line if only for the Ho-229 at the end.

Aesaar fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 13, 2015

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Man, the hellcat is the best light tank in the game, which is kind of ironic since the actual tier III US light tank is poo poo.

Also goddamn I hate the NPC tanks in this game. Woo shot seven idiots, bet that's going to be great! Wait, no, those were all NPCs and your contribution means nothing, woo.

EDIT: From playing the Tiger I'm considering that the IS-2 might not be bad, I might just be bad at playing heavies. I can get a couple of kills in them but their lack of manoeuvrability inevitably means that they get out-flanked whenever there's a change in push direction. I feel like they'd need teamwork to work, at least.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 13, 2015

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Did I make a poor life decision by playing low tier American tanks? A T34 or Stug looks at me the wrong way I'm blown to bits, meanwhile I'm putting shell after shell into the drat things and they just laugh at me strong in their mountains. These are penetrating shots mind you, not ricochets.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Dr. Tough posted:

Did I make a poor life decision by playing low tier American tanks? A T34 or Stug looks at me the wrong way I'm blown to bits, meanwhile I'm putting shell after shell into the drat things and they just laugh at me strong in their mountains. These are penetrating shots mind you, not ricochets.

A: T-34 is a known issue and will be fixed soon. B: Low-tier americans suffer from only having AP to begin with, so penetrations usually don't knock out a vehicle and with bad aim will do jack all.

The T-34 thing I can't help with but for StuGs, you want to shoot them in the "mailbox" on the front right (facing you) where the slit is.

EDIT: Diagram for where this is and why:

You aim here

Because the inside looks like this

And this will happen

Depending on how good/lucky you are you'll hit 2-3 crewmen, maybe kill the engine, and have a small chance of loving up the gun traverse. Two of these crew will be the gunner and driver, too.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 13, 2015

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Wild Horses posted:

So the n1kJ seems like a powerhouse. Anything special you need to keep out for when flying it or is it just zero +1

I'd call it more of a Ki-61 +3 than a Zero +1. It does turn well but the straight line speed and climb are more Ki-61 than A6M* in terms of comparing favorably to stuff at its tier, and with four of those anemic Japanese 20mms you can (barely) reliably kill things in brief BNZ windows. Not that it's bad at energy fighting or turning, either. Really the only downside to good old George I've found is that like all Japanese planes it bursts into flames if so much as an unkind word is said against it and then burns to a crisp immediately with no chance of suppression.

EDIT: Also the rockets the N1Ks get are comically useless.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I'm doing nightmarishly badly with the M18 this evening. No matter where I pick to flank there's always 2-3 guys on the other team who've gone there too :smith:

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

spectralent posted:

A: T-34 is a known issue and will be fixed soon. B: Low-tier americans suffer from only having AP to begin with, so penetrations usually don't knock out a vehicle and with bad aim will do jack all.

The T-34 thing I can't help with but for StuGs, you want to shoot them in the "mailbox" on the front right (facing you) where the slit is.

EDIT: Diagram for where this is and why:

You aim here

Because the inside looks like this

And this will happen

Depending on how good/lucky you are you'll hit 2-3 crewmen, maybe kill the engine, and have a small chance of loving up the gun traverse. Two of these crew will be the gunner and driver, too.

I'll give it a shot

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

ArchRanger posted:

I have a similar question about the Russian bombers, I've loved the IL-2 line but the IL-4 and others along the bomber line seem really underwhelming.

https://youtu.be/D_dKbW7I1G0

Unless it's been balanced since then the IL-4 is good fun.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

chairface posted:

EDIT: Also the rockets the N1Ks get are comically useless.

Incorrect!

Also yeah the Il-4 is so good, it's hard to believe the FM is correct but no one calls it a UFO so :shrug:

e: If anyone was wondering about how long shells last once fired, someone chased a 122 mm with their MiG:
http://gfycat.com/ThoughtfulDearFantail

Sard fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 13, 2015

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
I would compare the IL-4 to a Stuka but with a bit better energy retention in turns which I'll attribute to it having two engines and basically 0 armor. (once you've dropped your enormous external bombs, of course.) The dorsal turret has a 360° field of fire and even can shoot targets your nose gunner is engaging.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Airburst rockets are really OP if you know how to range them though I don't remember if the Japanese ones have that option and it wouldn't surprise me if you have to rely on direct hits.

The N1K rockets are probably the worst air to ground in the game, even worse than bazookas which are somehow easier to aim. The Japanese rockets shoot at a weird arc that is greatly affected by distance to target and probably also convergence settings. It's been over a year so I dunno but back in the day we spent like literally hours trying to kill stuff with those rockets and even hitting your target at all was enough to cause celebration.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Dr. Tough posted:

I'll give it a shot

Americans really don't come into their own in ground forces until you get access to the M3 / M4 in the medium tank line or the M10 (maybe that guntruck but I think its stupid) in the tank destroyer line. Prior to that you're slinging solid shot 37mm and driving motorized cardboard boxes which usually can be one-shotted by anything using ammunition more explosive than a bag of Pop Rocks, which accurately describes just about every non-American tank you'll meet.

I guess their AA trucks are okay and their baby tanks are fun to Mario Kart around the map in but in terms of actual killing power or survivability they're absolute trash.

PenguinScotty
Nov 13, 2012

Hotpants Icecream
Coming back after 4 months of not playing has been painful...

That said, it's time to get working on the Leo 1. Was thinking about getting a T4 premium, but none tickled my fancy, so i Talismaned(ed?) the Tiger II H and started playing Realistic Battles. Definitely liking the no-markings in RB now. Still not entirely sold on the points system thing, but it at least allows me to possibly take out multiple tanks in one game, if i don't suck it up hardcore.

Regarding the Leo 1, how is it? Flanking is what i love to do, so it might fit well. How is Germany at Rank 5 now?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

If you like RB's no-marker thing you might like sim. I found Tiger a struggle in RB but it's a beast in sim.

PenguinScotty
Nov 13, 2012

Hotpants Icecream

spectralent posted:

If you like RB's no-marker thing you might like sim. I found Tiger a struggle in RB but it's a beast in sim.

SB has been what i've been playing exclusively before the 4 months leave. It's probably my favorite one and i totally agree, the Tiger (especially the 1 for me) is much better there, than in RB. That said, i sucked so unbelievably bad coming back that i had to maximize my RP income another way, so i switched to RB :newlol:

Added to that is the fact that i'm a bit salty about the whole "SB Tanks only in Events" malarkey... :smugjones:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Sard posted:

e: If anyone was wondering about how long shells last once fired, someone chased a 122 mm with their MiG:
http://gfycat.com/ThoughtfulDearFantail

:eyepop:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Countdown until we see a gif of some tryhard Russians using 122's as indirect fire support with a plane spotting.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

aw skeet skeet! :laugh:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Got a 75% off the Pzbfw VI, so of course I grabbed it. My quest to acquire all tier-IV super-mediums* is a go.

*(In keeping with all other german tanks of the tier the medium is a heavy)

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Americans really don't come into their own in ground forces until you get access to the M3 / M4 in the medium tank line or the M10 (maybe that guntruck but I think its stupid) in the tank destroyer line. Prior to that you're slinging solid shot 37mm and driving motorized cardboard boxes which usually can be one-shotted by anything using ammunition more explosive than a bag of Pop Rocks, which accurately describes just about every non-American tank you'll meet.

I guess their AA trucks are okay and their baby tanks are fun to Mario Kart around the map in but in terms of actual killing power or survivability they're absolute trash.

Eh, the M3 Lee/M1 Grant are pretty good once you learn how to use them, switching between both the 37mm and 75mm to put out a rapid stream of slugs and APHE.

But yeah, American vehicles are best used in AB until you start getting Shermans. That way you can have the most fun doing donuts around everyone.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

When asked how I knew every single silhouette in the entire deck, I certainly did not mention the hundreds of hours spent in War Thunder SB.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Remember a few patches ago when the ground collision detection was hosed and going down any incline could kill half your crew and set your transmission on fire? The Panzer IV/70 is like that but all the time.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

spectralent posted:

Remember a few patches ago when the ground collision detection was hosed and going down any incline could kill half your crew and set your transmission on fire? The Panzer IV/70 is like that but all the time.

The Leo 1 was absolutely horrible for finding some invisible rock and then getting hung up on it until an enemy put you out of your misery.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

spectralent posted:

One of my favorite rounds of Mozdak I crossed the river three times in a life. First pass broke my left tread. Second pass broke the right tread. Third pass I slowed down and made sure to hit the river nice and straight and broke BOTH treads.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Hurtgen forest was fun. I made it across open ground slowly and by the time I'd gotten to the end I'd lost two crew and was on red transmission :v:

PenguinScotty
Nov 13, 2012

Hotpants Icecream

spectralent posted:

Hurtgen forest was fun. I made it across open ground slowly and by the time I'd gotten to the end I'd lost two crew and was on red transmission :v:

Normal wear and tear on a tank :smuggo:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

PenguinScotty posted:

Normal wear and tear on a tank :smuggo:

Assault gun :colbert:

Think I'm going to have to give up on the event; it's late and internet outages haven't been kind. I have a fuckton of spare vehicles for the USSR though, for some goddamn reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Stuarts are very fun and can bully the poo poo out of germans just by driving in circles. *
They eat poo poo the instant a T-50 appears.

* Except Stugs

AirborneNinja fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 14, 2015

• Locked thread