Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.
I'm jealous of the shelf space and generous allocation of coat hooks in that locker room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

on spec
Feb 2, 2014

i had 3 assists in my first game but also fell on my rear end trying to pivot on a big turnover but got bailed out. gg

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

doctor 7 posted:

Well 45 minutes of power skating before my first game tonight

Jesus Christ I am so tired

We lost 5-3. I was -1 and one of the goals against was directly my fault for the shittiest clearing attempt I have ever seen.

Don't worry, just express to the amateur scouts that stat lines aren't everything and you bring a ton of "intagibles" to the team.

In all seriousness, you probably didn't do all that bad. Beer league is a fickle mistress.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

doctor 7 posted:

Well 45 minutes of power skating before my first game tonight

Jesus Christ I am so tired

We lost 5-3. I was -1 and one of the goals against was directly my fault for the shittiest clearing attempt I have ever seen.

It couldn't have been much worse than this (flash link, so phone may not work):
http://stevedommer.com/hockey/20130310_doh/20130310_doh.html

It's my buddy in the championship from a few years ago.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

Pinky Artichoke posted:

As a connoisseur of ugly jerseys I am deeply envious. Although if I were designing it I'd replace the blue with purple.

communist kangaroo posted:

I'm jealous of the shelf space and generous allocation of coat hooks in that locker room

Both of these are true.

Registration for our winter league started and instead of registering for a team, there's a form option that says "What team would you like to play on?" When I emailed the league asking why it was phrased that way, they came right out and said they'd move people around to balance rosters so everyone has the mandatory minimum of 14+G.

This sent me into a seething internet rage, so I let them know they could expect a fair number of chargebacks should they decide to force people onto new teams. The vast majority of the teams in my division have been playing together for a very long time. In my case, we've been skating as a whole for 8 years. Several guys have been on the same roster since high school. I'll never understand the ineptitude of amateur hockey organizations.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Oh god my hip flexors day after

Really feeling it and seriously glad I stretch the poo poo out of them before I skate now.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It couldn't have been much worse than this (flash link, so phone may not work):
http://stevedommer.com/hockey/20130310_doh/20130310_doh.html

It's my buddy in the championship from a few years ago.

It was a much faster paced game than I am used to so I was immediately getting rid of the puck to someone else. Really I need to calm down, take a second with it and decide what to do. Instead of playing hot potato and making GBS threads up our team.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

delpheye posted:

Both of these are true.

Registration for our winter league started and instead of registering for a team, there's a form option that says "What team would you like to play on?" When I emailed the league asking why it was phrased that way, they came right out and said they'd move people around to balance rosters so everyone has the mandatory minimum of 14+G.

This sent me into a seething internet rage, so I let them know they could expect a fair number of chargebacks should they decide to force people onto new teams. The vast majority of the teams in my division have been playing together for a very long time. In my case, we've been skating as a whole for 8 years. Several guys have been on the same roster since high school. I'll never understand the ineptitude of amateur hockey organizations.

What's so wrong about this again?

Do y'all carry 15 or more? Seems like a way to integrate new players and handle a situation where a team has like 8 people sign up

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Plus they can avoid one team stacking themselves to stupid levels by forcing them to split up.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I can see being pissed if the league breaks up your team of good buds but on the other hand it's hard enough to balance skill levels without being able to shift players among teams. We got a new rink in town last year, and new leagues, and they were initially planning on re-scrambling all the teams every year with the idea that people would be better acquainted with guys on other teams and less likely to start poo poo on the ice. Everybody hated the idea though so they didn't do it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If you don't have enough to make league minimums what can you do?

14 is a weird number though. 13 makes more sense to me.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Eh, there's usually at least one person that doesn't show up to a game so you're not likely to actually have 14 and maybe less likely to get stuck with a crappy number of skaters like 11 or 12.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Thufir posted:

I can see being pissed if the league breaks up your team of good buds but on the other hand it's hard enough to balance skill levels without being able to shift players among teams. We got a new rink in town last year, and new leagues, and they were initially planning on re-scrambling all the teams every year with the idea that people would be better acquainted with guys on other teams and less likely to start poo poo on the ice. Everybody hated the idea though so they didn't do it.

That's the theory behind the rink I recently stopped playing at. It worked well when they had a good, involved hockey director and fell to poo poo when that was not the case. One of the big problems is that you can't be half-assed about it: either all of the teams are drafted or none of them are. It's no fun knowing that every season 20% of your games are going to consist of being stomped by the one non-drafted team.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
I wish my rink would do a draft league. We have the same teams every year, usually four sometimes a fifth team scrapes together but no matter what its all the same guys. We all know each other and all have been playing with/against each other for a long time. Same thing every year. There are two teams at the top that compete with each other and crush everyone else and two teams at the bottom that compete with each other and get crushed by the other two. I just think it would be fun to keep like maybe a full line, or a captain and a goalie and just have them pick the rest from the pool. I mean with only 4 or 5 teams at most we could do the draft schoolyard style in like 30 minutes. I like my team, even if we are one of the bottom teams, but it is getting kind of stale.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Same team has won the cup 4 years in a row in our league

Though that may change this year

Because the top 2-4/8 teams in the 30+C want to drop down to 30+D

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

communist kangaroo posted:

Thunderbird Arena at UBC, was an Olympic venue. Only the second time I've played there but its pretty nice, though its impossible to find the puck when it goes above board level, and its really bright on the ice.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thufir posted:

Eh, there's usually at least one person that doesn't show up to a game so you're not likely to actually have 14 and maybe less likely to get stuck with a crappy number of skaters like 11 or 12.

It's poo poo when everyone shows up (playoffs)

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

D C posted:

Thunderbird Arena at UBC, was an Olympic venue. Only the second time I've played there but its pretty nice, though its impossible to find the puck when it goes above board level, and its really bright on the ice.

gently caress me. The rink I normally play at has CURTAINS in the corners of the rink as locker rooms.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

if it makes you feel any better its the same way when we play at staples center

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Vargatron posted:

gently caress me. The rink I normally play at has CURTAINS in the corners of the rink as locker rooms.

I had to change in a weird curtain corner at my last game because the Preds are using a bunch of locker rooms for their rookie camp right now. Almost made me miss lovely concrete benches.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I played ice hockey from 7 years old to 18 years old - mostly a B level player. I'm 28 now and I kinda want to get back in to it a little bit, though I only have my skates, helmet, and stick left. My skates are tight width wise in the toe box area on one foot, is there any way around buying a set of new ones?

I played a fuckload back in the day at this place that had half-size rinks 3 on 3 no goalies. Really, really fun but it seems they are closed now.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 21, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I was told the toe box itself is one thing that cannot be adjusted. Right behind it though? You can adjust that.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Have you tried Superfeet? The added arch support will pull your toes back and maybe take up a little width at the expense of overall volume.

Also, they improve performance :eng101:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

sellouts posted:

I was told the toe box itself is one thing that cannot be adjusted. Right behind it though? You can adjust that.

Shitballs.

I pulled the insoles out of these skates at some point in the distant past, seems like its worth a shot :v:

I should probably just pony up for new skates, just hard to do when I'm not sure if I want to get that heavily back into the sport. Kinda hit a tipping point and am considering selling off all of my motorcycle roadracing stuff and transitioning to a far loving cheaper hobby.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Try the super feets idea that's a good idea

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Do either of you have a recommended Superfeet insole? They have a metric fuckton of them :lol: I suppose I could bring the skates to a shoe store and start throwing insoles at them.

edit: Oh, I see they have one aimed at hockey skates. Nice.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The yellows

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

selling off all of my motorcycle roadracing stuff and transitioning to a far loving cheaper hobby.

Woah. We've found The One

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Thanks guys :) I'll give it a shot.

Dangerllama posted:

Woah. We've found The One

Huh?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Hockey's a pretty expensive sport. It's kind of rare to find someone switching to it because it's less expensive than whatever they're currently into.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Dangerllama posted:

Hockey's a pretty expensive sport. It's kind of rare to find someone switching to it because it's less expensive than whatever they're currently into.

Consider that you're killing $400 in tires a weekend or two, ontop of a $200 track fee. If you end up going down you're likely going to be out a $300++ helmet, bodywork, hard part damage, etc. I base a normal weekend at $500. I've had a weekend end up costing $2000+ three times now. :v:

I looked at the local league and it's $450 for a 21 game season.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Sep 21, 2015

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

sellouts posted:

What's so wrong about this again?

Do y'all carry 15 or more? Seems like a way to integrate new players and handle a situation where a team has like 8 people sign up

Previous to this year we tried to only carry 11-12 and a goalie. There are usually one two who are out for whatever reason, but we feel like 10 is the perfect number of skaters in a game.

Prior to registrations, the league informed everyone that the minimum was 14 and a goalie which was annoying to a lot of teams, but especially to us because we're somewhat of an exception in that we don't have any ringers. We could move up a division, but don't because 1, we like the nights we play on and 2, we aren't winning championships every year.

My problem with that part of the form is that we pay to play on a specific team with specific dudes and they're suggesting that they'll move around at their whim to balance teams. A fine idea, but we're the ones pay to play on a team together. Realy it's a gripe about the hypothetical scenarios they're suggesting could be come a reality.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is the rink running at capacity? Are dues a team fee, or do players pay individually?

The only way I could see them enforcing roster sizes is to empty out waiting lists. If they see a team running 10 skaters the management may see that as $500 they aren't earning.

Unless there's a big issue with teams forfeiting games because people don't show up.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Consider that you're killing $400 in tires a weekend or two, ontop of a $200 track fee. If you end up going down you're likely going to be out a $300++ helmet, bodywork, hard part damage, etc. I base a normal weekend at $500. I've had a weekend end up costing $2000+ three times now. :v:

I looked at the local league and it's $450 for a 21 game season.

I just bought a WRX and my teammates are trying to get me to take it to the track with them. Hockey AND cars. :shepspends:

e: Just had my first 11pm game last night now that there are like 400 Bronze teams that all need to play Sunday nights. Only having 1 beer and getting home at 1:30am makes for a lovely Monday. This was going to be my last Bronze season anyway, but that one 11pm game solidified it. I don't know how you San Jose goons deal with midnight/1am/whatever start times down there.

Also, anyone use Impact mouth guards? I have a few teammates who like them and can actually talk with them in. Looking to replace my Shock Doctor since it sounds like I have a bag of dicks in my mouth.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 21, 2015

love on the cheap
Aug 5, 2008
if you're like me and have no self control, hockey tron is selling their leather $89 gloves for $32 today if you use the code LG60 at checkout. You can even get retro-brown colored ones and we can match!!!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
In actually surprised by the quality of tron gloves. I got their pro gloves for the same price and they've lasted a long time with no wear in the palms.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I just bought a WRX and my teammates are trying to get me to take it to the track with them. Hockey AND cars. :shepspends:

e: Just had my first 11pm game last night now that there are like 400 Bronze teams that all need to play Sunday nights. Only having 1 beer and getting home at 1:30am makes for a lovely Monday. This was going to be my last Bronze season anyway, but that one 11pm game solidified it. I don't know how you San Jose goons deal with midnight/1am/whatever start times down there.

Also, anyone use Impact mouth guards? I have a few teammates who like them and can actually talk with them in. Looking to replace my Shock Doctor since it sounds like I have a bag of dicks in my mouth.

I really love late-night games as they're happening. I go to a midnight stick & shoot session every so often, too. Next morning, not so much.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like 11pm games, unless I have a 7am game the next morning.

But I do it anyways because I gotta take the ice that's available to me.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

xzzy posted:

Is the rink running at capacity? Are dues a team fee, or do players pay individually?

The only way I could see them enforcing roster sizes is to empty out waiting lists. If they see a team running 10 skaters the management may see that as $500 they aren't earning.

Unless there's a big issue with teams forfeiting games because people don't show up.

Dues are a team fee but if a team rosters more than the enforced minimum then each player pays the same 670 they would have anyway, so the league makes more off larger teams. They definitely aren't at capacity, there's a league that plays at one rink on the north end of town. The league organization inexplicably moved 4 of the 7 teams in that division to a rink further south creating a situation where the north side rink now has 3 teams total for a 30 game season and the rink further south now has 12.

This summer we played a 20 game season in a division with 16 teams. We played some teams more than once and other teams not at all.

I just like highlighting out my league is run by loving idiots.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

BlackMK4 posted:

Kinda hit a tipping point and am considering selling off all of my motorcycle roadracing stuff and transitioning to a far loving cheaper hobby.

Have you looked into learning goaltending? :homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Bradf0rd posted:

Have you looked into learning goaltending? :homebrew:

That poo poo's like a $2k spend minimum... even with used poo poo.