Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
No, the TSIs are always cheaper than the equivalent diesel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

dissss posted:

No, the TSIs are always cheaper than the equivalent diesel

I didn't say they were more expensive. I said they are more complex.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

CommieGIR posted:

The TSI is a fairly new and expensive tech versus a common and proven TDI tech.

Yes, TSI can do it. With immense computerization and highly specialized tech. The TDI can do it mechanically.

Yep. We should all use diesel because it's cheaper and lower tech than a gas engine.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Throatwarbler posted:

Yep. We should all use diesel because it's cheaper and lower tech than a gas engine.

loving :lol: right?

Bovril Delight posted:

That sounds terrible. In my 11 TDI I would regularly average tanks in the mid to high 30's on summer tires and driving down the 80mph toll.

I did get right around 40mpg on one return trip from Denver. It was like 70 degrees and we had a bit of a tailwind.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm sorry. I don't really follow the news and from what I can gather from this thread, VW got caught lying about the emissions their cars produce? What does this mean for VW I'm thinking a super huge fine? What does it mean for someone who owns a VW car within that time frame?

On another note, just out of pure curiosity since I can't find an answer online. I park on a stupid incline all the time. Yesterday I made the mistake of putting the car in P and releasing the foot brake before the emergency brake. So when I tried to put the car back into D I had to use a lot of force to move it from P to D. The car made a loud thud from the front.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

8ender posted:

I think it was tire rack that actually offered a service to shave down new tires to your specifications for AWD systems

Turns out it's a moot point because turns out all my tires are down to 2/32 or so. Only lasted 35k miles though -- little short of the 50k they are supposed too.

obi_ant posted:

I'm sorry. I don't really follow the news and from what I can gather from this thread, VW got caught lying about the emissions their cars produce? What does this mean for VW I'm thinking a super huge fine? What does it mean for someone who owns a VW car within that time frame?

On another note, just out of pure curiosity since I can't find an answer online. I park on a stupid incline all the time. Yesterday I made the mistake of putting the car in P and releasing the foot brake before the emergency brake. So when I tried to put the car back into D I had to use a lot of force to move it from P to D. The car made a loud thud from the front.

I think (hopefully) owners don't have to do poo poo -- not their fault VW put a defeat device on. Worst case, some kind of mandatory / strongly encouraged recall to get ECU updates / hardware changes which reduces the efficiency of your vehicle and then I assume you join a class-action of some type.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I would imagine that VW will be forced to buy back these vehicles, since they were sold under Fraudulent terms.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
`13 Golf TDI owner, been keeping an eye on this in case they do a recall up in Canada, nothing official yet but there's this:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/volkswagen-emissions-rigging-1.3236548

quote:

"Volkswagen Canada has issued a stop-sale order to our dealers for all of the affected vehicles pending resolution of this matter,"

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

obi_ant posted:

Not only "caught lying," but they built the diesels with logic in the ECU to determine when the vehicle was being emissions tested, and modifying the performance to maximize emissions performance. So they intentionally made the cars perform fraudulently on EPA testing.

Big fine? Reports are up to $18 BILLION. Consequences? Stop sales on all diesels, VW corporate stock down more than 20% today. USA is going to jump their poo poo, the individual states are going to jump their poo poo, the owners are going to jump their poo poo.

Yeah, VW has gone beyond "having balls" to bypass the EPA, beyond "stupidly" bypassing the EPA and are well and truly into "contemptuous" bypassing of the EPA.

It's not going to go well for them.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

meatpimp posted:

Not only "caught lying," but they built the diesels with logic in the ECU to determine when the vehicle was being emissions tested, and modifying the performance to maximize emissions performance. So they intentionally made the cars perform fraudulently on EPA testing.

Big fine? Reports are up to $18 BILLION. Consequences? Stop sales on all diesels, VW corporate stock down more than 20% today. USA is going to jump their poo poo, the individual states are going to jump their poo poo, the owners are going to jump their poo poo.

Yeah, VW has gone beyond "having balls" to bypass the EPA, beyond "stupidly" bypassing the EPA and are well and truly into "contemptuous" bypassing of the EPA.

It's not going to go well for them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/22/business/international/volkswagen-shares-recall.html?_r=0

It's bad for VW, real bad.

EDIT

Youch

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Question on VW issue:

My wife has a VW Passat 2006 (turbo or whatever). It is at around 130-140,000 miles. It currently is giving us an issue:

Her words:

the car is flashing those weird alert signals (ABS, steering wheel-looking thing), along with putting an exclamation point in the central dash panel

and then after I park and turn it off, it doesn't want to turn back on - makes clicking noise, but engine doesn't try to turn over

which admittedly does sound like what it did when the battery died

We know her brakes are due to get replaced, and the local shop is saying it is possibly something electrical.

Anyone have any advice? I'm just trying to get this car to go another 1-2 years so I can afford to swap it out.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

daslog posted:

I would imagine that VW will be forced to buy back these vehicles, since they were sold under Fraudulent terms.

I doubt this will happen, but I'd be 100% ok with it. Better than a $200 rebate on a BRAND NEW VOLKSWAGEN!!!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

fknlo posted:

I doubt this will happen, but I'd be 100% ok with it. Better than a $200 rebate on a BRAND NEW VOLKSWAGEN!!!

I'd be shocked if it didn't happen. My only question is will it be a buyback at current market value, or a refund of the purchase, since it was based on fraud. Either way, people with these cars are going to make out very okay.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
At least the EPA is redirecting all that heat from dumping millions of gallons of arsenic, cadmium, lead and mercury into the Colorado river by hitting at VW.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

At least the EPA is redirecting all that heat from dumping millions of gallons of arsenic, cadmium, lead and mercury into the Colorado river by hitting at VW.

The thing that involved a private contractor loving up a mine that had been abandoned by a private company that just left all their waste there? I think that's been brought up at least once every couple of pages on the 100+ page thread on tdiclub.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

fknlo posted:

The thing that involved a private contractor loving up a mine that had been abandoned by a private company that just left all their waste there? I think that's been brought up at least once every couple of pages on the 100+ page thread on tdiclub.

Ya , I was just stating that it is fantastic timing for them. It was like front page news since it happened, and you effectively don't hear anyone even mentioning it now and the VW scandal has only been public for 3ish days.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

last page, 10- 40 times greater seems a bit extreme. Being that the EPA is a govt org. with a political agenda I would take everything they say with a ton of salt.

Hilarious.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Listen :siren: BIG GOVERNMENT :siren:

This is also the dude that used 'sjw' unironically about something that wasn't social at all so ymmv.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I averaged 40mpg over the 4 years I had my TDI. Could easily push it over 50mpg given the right conditions, and only ever really dropped under 40mpg when driving 80+.

Wonder how this is going to be handled since I just traded my TDI in at the end of July.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

veedubfreak posted:

I averaged 40mpg over the 4 years I had my TDI. Could easily push it over 50mpg given the right conditions, and only ever really dropped under 40mpg when driving 80+.

Wonder how this is going to be handled since I just traded my TDI in at the end of July.

I'm assuming you got exceedingly lucky with the timing. I'm a little worried about resale value for VWs in general though because people are dumb. This is about diesels and VW lying to the EPA but will turn into 'I hear every volts wagon as explosive airbags that murder babies! Is this true????' through the telephone game.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

melon cat fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 16, 2019

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I already had someone ask me if on the street if I was mad that my old VW was going to be harder to sell now, then I explained to them that it wasn't a TDI so it wasn't part of that news and then they looked really confused and after awhile I deduced that they didn't know what a diesel engine is and then I explained how there are diesel engines and gasoline engines and how those are different things and how only the diesels in certain years are affected and they didn't really seem to follow along that well then they ended the conversation with "yeah I'm never buying one of those dirty VWs! You should sell that clunker while you still can!"

I'd imagine this is going to be an ongoing issue for the brand for many many years to come.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Pryor on Fire posted:

I already had someone ask me if on the street if I was mad that my old VW was going to be harder to sell now, then I explained to them that it wasn't a TDI so it wasn't part of that news and then they looked really confused and after awhile I deduced that they didn't know what a diesel engine is and then I explained how there are diesel engines and gasoline engines and how those are different things and how only the diesels in certain years are affected and they didn't really seem to follow along that well then they ended the conversation with "yeah I'm never buying one of those dirty VWs! You should sell that clunker while you still can!"

I'd imagine this is going to be an ongoing issue for the brand for many many years to come.

Looks like I might be trading in my R for a Focus RS after all :v:

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I'm wondering what the likely payout from a class action lawsuit would be. The Honda excessive oil burning class action lawsuit from 2014 reportedly netted less than $300 a person. I'm trying to find info from the GM ignition lawsuit, but that one's hard because some people died or were injured so the payout varies. The max for small claims court in my county is $3,000. So I wonder if I should just take VW to small claims court instead of rolling the dice with a class action lawsuit.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Well you'd have to show actual damages so suing for the loss in resale value would probably be your easiest number to arrive at right now, and if you get the recall "update" done, add on the difference in fuel costs for the expected remaining life of the car. Should be easy to hit $3K with one or both of those.

I emailed the firm who filed the class-action with some questions similar to yours, I'll post what I hear back from them.

Correction: I emailed one of the firms that filed a class-action (Keller Rohrback), there appear to have been 3-4 suits filed by different firms at this point.

bizwank fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 21, 2015

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I'm wondering what the likely payout from a class action lawsuit would be. The Honda excessive oil burning class action lawsuit from 2014 reportedly netted less than $300 a person. I'm trying to find info from the GM ignition lawsuit, but that one's hard because some people died or were injured so the payout varies. The max for small claims court in my county is $3,000. So I wonder if I should just take VW to small claims court instead of rolling the dice with a class action lawsuit.

People will see a few hundred dollars while the lawyers make millions, just like every other class action suit.

via
Dec 14, 2013

veedubfreak posted:

People will see a few hundred dollars while the lawyers make millions, just like every other class action suit.

Can someone who knows about poo poo confirm or deny this.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

via posted:

It's too soon to tell, the honda civic hybrid settled for brand new cars of the current year (settled in 2011), other ones were far less in value.

edit: Hyundai's looks like it was generally less than 1,000 per person. Also cant find any hard evidence about the Honda new car thing, just going from what I heard. It does look like there was a case that was overturned by an appeals court where a private citizen sued in small claims for the loss of mileage won, then Honda appealed and it was reversed. Reason was that manufacturers don't state mpg claims the EPA makes them.

Lord of Garbagemen fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 21, 2015

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

via posted:

Yes, that is usually the way big class action works.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Holy crap, I just remembered that I almost considered buying a diesel Jetta wagon. I went with a Prius because I really wanted adaptive cruise control (and a car reliable enough that repair bills wouldn't eat up anything I'd save by giving a gently caress about fuel economy).

melon cat posted:

Just a question about this whole VW emissions scandal- how does it impact your regular e-testing? Because it sounds like all sorts of VW vehicles should be failing their e-tests, but maybe I'm just not understanding the actual magnitude of this whole issue.

That's just it - the cars were programmed to detect when they were being put through emissions testing, adjust their engines to pass the tests, then go back to belching NOx like there's no tomorrow.

From what I've read, any fix would involve one of the following:

1. Update the software to keep the engines tuned to whatever parameters they use to pass the emissions tests (which would most certainly compromise performance and/or fuel economy)

2. Install a urea injection system (which would mean another maintenance item to worry about, and possibly less trunk space)

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

I guess this forum's filled with people that never work on their cars or something. I've always been horrified at thinking about working on a 20 year old version of a car made in 2005+ era, especially a vw. I sure would love to run new electrical diagnostics on a 15 year old car because the dash won't light up at night after I use the touchscreen radio controls. tdiclub might be a whole bunch of freeper shitters, but I know a much higher percentage of those guys actually do their own work.

I'm actually way more curious about the possibility of VW or maybe just VW diesel totally exiting the US. Never done particularly well, the number of models and options has always been way more limited than EU.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Cockmaster posted:

Holy crap, I just remembered that I almost considered buying a diesel Jetta wagon. I went with a Prius because I really wanted adaptive cruise control (and a car reliable enough that repair bills wouldn't eat up anything I'd save by giving a gently caress about fuel economy).

That's just it - the cars were programmed to detect when they were being put through emissions testing, adjust their engines to pass the tests, then go back to belching NOx like there's no tomorrow.

From what I've read, any fix would involve one of the following:

1. Update the software to keep the engines tuned to whatever parameters they use to pass the emissions tests (which would most certainly compromise performance and/or fuel economy)

2. Install a urea injection system (which would mean another maintenance item to worry about, and possibly less trunk space)

I thought the nytimes article said that actually passing tailpipe emissions requirements from just a software update wasn't possible

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

It's talking about Europe, and it's saying that the computer tests they use to measure emissions may not be as accurate as measuring at the tailpipe (duh). The US diesels can pass emissions when the ECU lets them, unless you're suggesting they're also manipulating sensor data, in which case we can't trust the mpg numbers on the dash either.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Hrm, starting to question last month's sportwagen purchase...

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Cockmaster posted:

Thanks for explaining that! And to think- most of the local government agencies here in Ontario spent a lot of money changing their e-testing procedures in an effort to thwart phoney e-testing, making it more of a headache for people to pass. For example, I can now fail my e-test if my 'Check engine' light is on, even if the error has no measurable impact on my car's emissions. This VW debacle has proven one thing- all of those fancy new e-testing procedures that our government pushed through are 100% useless.

And like you- I considered buying a diesel VW back when I was buying my replacement vehicle in February 2014. Dodged that bullet.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Actually, it proves that they're pretty effective if VW has to go to these kinds of crazy, illegal measures to get an engine that wouldn't have passed to be certified.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Cockmaster posted:

When I go to fill up my 2015 TDI there's a separate "AdBlue" filler nozzle, and I honestly thought that was a urea injection system.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

StandardVC10 posted:

When I go to fill up my 2015 TDI there's a separate "AdBlue" filler nozzle, and I honestly thought that was a urea injection system.

It is. Some 2015 models have it. A lot of pre-2015 models (all, I think) do not.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

StandardVC10 posted:

That is! The complaint covers the non-AdBlue cars.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

last page, 10- 40 times greater seems a bit extreme. Being that the EPA is a govt org. with a political agenda I would take everything they say with a ton of salt.

It seems quite reasonable to me. US emissions standards are very tight, and NOX generation is very difficult to decrease past a certain point.

VW was obviously trying to maximize performance, and 40x the EPA NOX limit must have been optimum.

http://www.alentecinc.com/papers/NOx/The%20formation%20of%20NOx_files/The%20formation%20of%20NOx.htm