Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

T1g4h posted:

You know, i'm still not sure what's up with that. I'm guessing maybe the radiator was a bit too big and it pokes out below the bumper, so that's there to protect it? I didn't think to ask.

I can't imagine a mod motor would play well with the factory strut towers. it could be hiding the end of a crown vic frame or something.

It could be like that aussie guy who kept saying he was putting a koenigsegg motor in his 4 door whatever because the CC8 used a version of the supercharged 4.6 mustang engine he was using. it might be a crown vic 4.6 that he calls a mustang motor because the mustang uses the 4.6.

kind of like every 454 on craigslist came out of a corvette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

MrYenko posted:

Incidentally, that Pinto is the first car I've ever seen wearing those particular Mustang OE wheels (I think they were for V6 cars?) that didn't look like total rear end. They kinda work on the Pinto. It could use to be just a touch lower, though. Not belly scraping, but just a smidge.

Yeah, those are the 04-14 V6 16" wheels, and yeah, it could stand an inch or so off the height.

Powershift posted:

I can't imagine a mod motor would play well with the factory strut towers. it could be hiding the end of a crown vic frame or something.

It could be like that aussie guy who kept saying he was putting a koenigsegg motor in his 4 door whatever because the CC8 used a version of the supercharged 4.6 mustang engine he was using. it might be a crown vic 4.6 that he calls a mustang motor because the mustang uses the 4.6.

kind of like every 454 on craigslist came out of a corvette.

Hmmm, possible. The '03-up CV front subframe is popular with street rodders, but I'd think it would be too wide for a Pinto. I'd use the non-strut version of the Pinto front end engineered for street rods (irony!) Actually, aren;t they actually just spring towers on the Pinto, like early Mustangs and Falcons, where Ford put the spring on top of the upper arm instead of between the control arms, for some godawful reason?

e: nope. Google shows that the Pinto didn't have the towers, and had the spring positionef between upper and lower control arms. So the 4.6 was probably easier than you think. Still probably a tight fit.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 18, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, those are the 04-14 V6 16" wheels, and yeah, it could stand an inch or so off the height.

Hmmm, possible. The '03-up CV front subframe is popular with street rodders, but I'd think it would be too wide for a Pinto. I'd use the non-strut version of the Pinto front end engineered for street rods (irony!) Actually, aren;t they actually just spring towers on the Pinto, like early Mustangs and Falcons, where Ford put the spring on top of the upper arm instead of between the control arms, for some godawful reason?

i just remember the engine bay of the pintos being fairly cramped, even with just the i4 in there.

I also remember some dude here putting mustang wheels on his p71, and them sitting really far inside the wheel well but not actually rubbing on anything.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nice. I'd love to drive that thing.

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

Mint Fiero. Noice.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Un chien andalou posted:

Mint Fiero. Noice.
Probably some junked Ferrari with a bad bodykit.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Powershift posted:

I also remember some dude here putting mustang wheels on his p71, and them sitting really far inside the wheel well but not actually rubbing on anything.

That would happen if he had a pre-'03 CV, and put later CV/Mustang wheels on it. They moved the mounting surface way out in '03, and changed the offset on the wheels to match. By the same token, pre-'03 wheels on an '03+ CV (or '04+ Mustang) would stick out about 3 inches or so.

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?
Spotted in an IKEA parking lot: a lowered (what I think is) Scion xB.

There's a lot of terrible in that photo already, but wait until you see this sticker...

"Speedbump: Be patient, I'm lowered. Thanks!" Or, reading between the lines, "Please excuse my stupidity, which has resulted in my car no longer being functional on an actual street."

I mean, at least the guy recognized that he's an inconvenience to other drivers and made a polite enough apology for it, but the fact that he has to apologize at all...

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 minutes!
lol towhook cos that is one hell of a track car

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

fyodor posted:

lol towhook cos that is one hell of a track car

It's for when you high-center it on the aforementioned speedbump and need to drag it off.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Linedance posted:

It's for when you high-center it on the aforementioned speedbump and need to drag it off rip the bumper off, because it's probably not attached correctly.

:colbert:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

TheNakedJimbo posted:

Spotted in an IKEA parking lot: a lowered (what I think is) Scion xB.

There's a lot of terrible in that photo already, but wait until you see this sticker...

"Speedbump: Be patient, I'm lowered. Thanks!" Or, reading between the lines, "Please excuse my stupidity, which has resulted in my car no longer being functional on an actual street."

I mean, at least the guy recognized that he's an inconvenience to other drivers and made a polite enough apology for it, but the fact that he has to apologize at all...

I hate hellaflush...but that's not even that low or on super retarded wheels.

Take that sticker off and I'd drive the poo poo out of it.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I'd drive it. I like those little toasters. Put a big turbo on it

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

very high AI factor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DqP6KmCfAM

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Cached Money posted:

very high AI factor:

Those water crossings... :stare:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Icelanders are crazy. In the good way.

reddeathdrinker
Aug 5, 2003

Scotland the What?
I was a bit unsure where this was awful or awesome, but over the last few days decided it's awesome...

My father-in-laws Renault Twingo, which I've been hammering round Corfu for the past few days. Pros are it has air-conditioning, Con is that the drivers window doesn't go up... However, for beating round a Greek island, it's perfect!

reddeathdrinker fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 20, 2015

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I met one of these today:

Was out for a drive on a good twisty road and he was following me at a respectful distance for several miles. I wasn't sure what his car was because I had never seen one before. From the front I thought it looked vaguely Japanese. We got to a section of the road that opened out to four lanes and he went to pass me flat out. It was a long section with a high speed limit so I floored it too to see if I could match him. I think he was surprised a Volvo would challenge him, but he managed to pull on me by about a car length in ~1/8 of a mile. I backed off as we approached the merger point and when he did too his car shot an awesome spout of flames out of the tailpipe. I hope he didn't think I was trying to fight his pass, I just wanted to experience the sound and fury of that thing flat out for a little bit longer.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

reddeathdrinker posted:

I was a bit unsure where this was awful or awesome, but over the last few days decided it's awesome...

My father-in-laws Renault Twingo, which I've been hammering round Corfu for the past few days. Pros are it has air-conditioning, Con is that the drivers window doesn't go up... However, for beating round a Greek island, it's perfect!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
I've had a similarly happy experience with my mom's Fiat 600 on the hills of Tuscany. Smart little engine, very fun to whip around switchbacks and not a slouch on highways either

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Merci Twingo! My sister used to have one in that color. All I really remember of it though were the windows were big enough for a 14 year old me to climb in through with relative ease.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Some years ago, I know a guy who drove a bright purple Twingo with headlight eyelashes.

It was made even funnier by the fact that he was a gigantic rugby player.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
i'm an amerifag so we don't get renaults... or any of the cars i really want

i'd kill for a citroen ds3/ds5 or a renault megane :smith:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

deep impact on vhs posted:

You really, really don't want a megane trust me.

SegwayPimp
Sep 13, 2015

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I met one of these today:

Was out for a drive on a good twisty road and he was following me at a respectful distance for several miles. I wasn't sure what his car was because I had never seen one before. From the front I thought it looked vaguely Japanese. We got to a section of the road that opened out to four lanes and he went to pass me flat out. It was a long section with a high speed limit so I floored it too to see if I could match him. I think he was surprised a Volvo would challenge him, but he managed to pull on me by about a car length in ~1/8 of a mile. I backed off as we approached the merger point and when he did too his car shot an awesome spout of flames out of the tailpipe. I hope he didn't think I was trying to fight his pass, I just wanted to experience the sound and fury of that thing flat out for a little bit longer.

Slantnoses are sick

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I rented a DS3 last time I was in the UK, because I loved how they look and was really looking forward to having a go. It was... Disappointing. I wished I'd picked the Fiesta instead. I don't remember the specifics, but the ride was unnecessarily harsh - not what I expected at all from a Citroen, the ergonomics were a complete disaster, and the lack of luggage space for a hatchback was pretty bad. It does look pretty on the outside though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I think it's a grass is always greener situation. I can't imagine why anyone in the land of the $25,000 300hp muscle car would want a $25,000 108hp megane coupe just because it's a hatchback

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I really want a Citroen DS, though. Is that ok? I know I'll never own one in the US unless I have a windfall of money and Jay Leno's mechanics and parts catalog though...

(My photos from a few years ago)

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Powershift posted:

I think it's a grass is always greener situation. I can't imagine why anyone in the land of the $25,000 300hp muscle car would want a $25,000 108hp megane coupe just because it's a hatchback

300hp doesn't mean so much when they are as heavy as they are.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

EightBit posted:

300hp doesn't mean so much when they are as heavy as they are.

This is pretty true. I got to drive the coupe and wagon CTS-Vs at CoTA with the Cadillac V-Lab a few years ago, and despite the 560 hp or whatever it has, it didn't feel fast. I'm sure the automatic transmission didn't help.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

My parents had one of these when I was a real small kid. Fiat Strada.

Apparently it was awful but I always remember the door handles because they were weird and circular in nature.

Also to this day I love those wheels.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Slavvy posted:

You really, really don't want a megane trust me.

What if it was an R26R???

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

As an owner of a Renault I must say Merci Twingo!! Also why was this post a probation??

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

corn in the fridge posted:

As an owner of a Renault I must say Merci Twingo!! Also why was this post a probation??

"A meme-only post which is also unfunny. User loses posting privileges for 1 day."

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Enourmo posted:

"A meme-only post which is also unfunny. User loses posting privileges for 1 day."

Oh God no.... Not a meme

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
Anyway as to not poo poo this thread up this just showed up out the blue

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

88h88 posted:

Apparently it was awful but I always remember the door handles because they were weird and circular in nature.

Also to this day I love those wheels.

Yes! and the switch-shaped door locks too! poo poo rustbucket but I really dug the design

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Holy poo poo. In the RAIN no less.

Edit: I just realized this is not the US.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

:stare:

Every time I see one of these I sit here and daydream of how much of an awful James Bond I'd make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.

MetaJew posted:

This is pretty true. I got to drive the coupe and wagon CTS-Vs at CoTA with the Cadillac V-Lab a few years ago, and despite the 560 hp or whatever it has, it didn't feel fast. I'm sure the automatic transmission didn't help.

Really? My automatic wagon is the heaviest of the bunch, and a 4 second blast to 60 feels pretty fast to me. I've found that any modern car, with the windows up and AC on, just doesn't feel that fast until you look down and see just how fast you're going. My old Dodge feels and sounds fast, but most certainly would get dusted by the Wagon. I think. I guess I've never tried them head to head... Hmm.