Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Crashbee posted:

None of those cases involve the Jem Hadar rebelling against the Dominion though, they're still operating within spec as obedient soldier-slaves. If anything those stories are showing the practical limits of the genetic super soldier trope - the Jem Hadar have enough free will to operate autonomously for years on end, but they're also clearly aware that their loyalty is conditioned rather than earned, even if they're unable to do anything about it. How much genuine loyalty would you be able to expect from someone who knows they're programmed to die for you?

There's an episode where a bunch of Jem-hadar find an Iconian gateway and decide to use it to take down the Dominion, and Sisko has to team up with Weyoun to stop them. Sisko asks Weyoun why the Founders don't just turn the Jem-hadar off and he hems and haws about it, but pretty much winds up admitting that there's no innate quality of loyalty to the Jem-hadar and the Founders' hold on their soldiers has a lot more to do with propaganda than reality. It's just a lifetime of drugs, violence, and religion conditioning them to be loyal.

e: though I guess Weyoun could have been bullshitting, because the story never takes a look at why the Jem-hadar actually rebelled apart from as an excuse to get Sisko and the crew to hang out with a bunch of Jem-hadar friendlies for an hour.

skasion fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Tujague posted:

Every time the Jem Hadar had a speaking role in a late DS9 ep, they did poo poo that wouldn't fly in the U.S. Coast Guard and we don't even genetically manipulate those guys OR get them hooked on crack cocaine.

Probably because coast guard men are not barely controlled masses of homicidal rage ready to die at any moment. If the coast guard were ordered, "I want you all to run up this hill with knives and stab everyone at the top, and you're all going to die because there are too many of them and they have guns, but it will show the glory of the United States, die bravely!", they wouldn't do it. Or "Crash your boat into the enemy battleship, it won't sink it, but it will put a serious dent in the hull and make them think twice next time, as you sink to the bottom you will be happy to know the President is proud of you".

A sloppy system with parts that sometimes work against one another can still be more functional than a smoothly efficient "perfect" system. This is why democratic republics have outcompeted monarchies and dictatorships across the planet in the real world. A perfectly wise king may be better than a congress/president combination, but the sloppy democratic system works, and the wise king ususally turns out to be not so wise.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.
They should have just taken Constable Odo on every mission and engagement that involved the Jem Hadar and stuck him up at the front and he call tell them not to fire and to lower their weapons. I mean who would they most likely listen to, a changling who they view as a God or their Vorta line manger who they despise for being cowardly

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Unless Odo can turn his O-dick into ketrecel white, my money is on the line manager.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.
Starfleet engineers can turn rocks into replicators. I'm sure they can synthesize some Ketracell W for a brother

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Figaro posted:

Starfleet engineers can turn rocks into replicators. I'm sure they can synthesize some Ketracell W for a brother

They can turn out bland Starfleet pabulum in geologic quantities, but when it comes to producing a substance with panache, say a Romulan ale or some briney hasperat, they fail every time. No way can they make a really delicious death-staving-off whole body dna coded loyalty drug.

But they'd make you an excellent Synkacel White. You'd not catch a buzz and you'd die within hours of withdrawal in agony, but it would taste very much like Dad Sisko's Lobster Pain And Suffering Bisque.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Bashir replicated some kettie dubs during a slow afternoon in the infirmary for that babby jem'hedar

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Jake-O NEEDs a line of kettie before he does his writings or win at Dom-jot or get a hard enough erection to gently caress a dabo girl

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I definitely get a 40k vibe from the Dominion, although it also seems to suggest that there's a buffer zone of "unoccupied space" between the Dominion and the Wormhole. Like, a bunch of aliens come through the wormhole and they only know of the Dominion as this huge authoritarian force nearby, but never particularly present.

Then again, it could be that the discovery of the Wormhole prompted the Dominion/The Founders to just finish taking over the Quadrant. I dunno, I have to see how the war ends, but I do not expect the Dominion to exist anymore once Captain Sisko is through with them.

They were sort of like the Ming dynasty. They could've taken over the quadrant, but decided not to for their own inscrutable reasons.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Figaro posted:

They should have just taken Constable Odo on every mission and engagement that involved the Jem Hadar and stuck him up at the front and he call tell them not to fire and to lower their weapons. I mean who would they most likely listen to, a changling who they view as a God or their Vorta line manger who they despise for being cowardly

This same thought has crossed my mind, too.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Harveygod posted:

This same thought has crossed my mind, too.

Odo would angrily declare that he is not a founder, and then deal with it how he dealt with most issues, by handing in his resignation.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

i, for one, wish star trek used even more deus ex machina plot devices to resolve dramatic situations

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
probably one of my favourite things is when, iirc after being captured, worf immediately and brutally murders weyoun and dumar just lols shithousedly

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
having major characters be clones is a good way to be able to murder your important characters for whatever reason w/ no consequences. better than a dream sequence or holodeck simulation at any rate

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ambrose Burnside posted:

probably one of my favourite things is when, iirc after being captured, worf immediately and brutally murders weyoun and dumar just lols shithousedly

One of the greatest moments in the entire show.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
my old dad likes star trek

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Putty posted:

my old dad likes star trek

shut the gently caress up you loving retard

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

I'd like an episode of tng were the perpetually smug bartender Guinan meets an Ensign Ro like character and is like "She's my friend Captain, my judgement is top notch and never faulty!". So then Guinan never leaves this new recruit alone and is always popping in with home spun wisdom and alien parables...

So her new friend proceeds to stab her multiple times to death to stop her regenerating and everyone is like "meh" because Guinans rubbish

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Ambrose Burnside posted:

And is still chuckling when Weyoun +1 comes into work the next day.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Not just chuckling, but throwing it back in his face with a "maybe you should talk to Worf again"

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Good news everyone, time to throw away your treadmills because somebody is making a replica of the Enterprise D in UE4 with VR support.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK9ijZeHWjI
http://www.enterprise3dproject.com/

Since you nerds will whine about something being wrong in the walkthrough of the stuff he has done, the dude explains why he's changed certain things.

quote:

The technical specs have been out for decades about this ship. But what do they mean? The USS Enterprise – D has 42 Decks. Sprinkled throughout these decks are all of the control rooms for weapons, sickbays, holodecks, and crew quarters. Creating all of them will be a daunting task. I have compiled a large archive of reference from production drawings, set blueprints, official blueprints, and of course meticulous screen captures of the HD Blu-ray versions of the episodes. The standards for creating the virtual Enterprise are prioritized as follows:

The ship as depicted onscreen in the show is canon. The show is the ultimate source for the look of the Enterprise. The only exception is if the area was unable to be constructed to it’s correct scope due to budget limitations. The arboretum, for example, was very small compared to its realistic size shown in various blueprints.

The blueprints put forth by Rick Sternbach and Ed Whitefire should be followed. Judgement will be used in determining how much of each plan will be used.

Andrew Probert’s original design philosophy will be followed when feasible. Sometimes this just wont be possible due to changes in the show. For example, the saucer edge was supposed to be one deck originally, instead of deck’s 9 and 10 that were shown in the tv show.

Personal creations will come into play to fill in the gaps left out from the show. Areas that mimic other places in Star Trek will make their way into the ship’s design. A full mall similar to the promenade in ST: DS9 will exist in the saucer section, as well as more parks and community centers.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yaos posted:

Good news everyone, time to throw away your treadmills because somebody is making a replica of the Enterprise D in UE4 with VR support.

Since you nerds will whine about something being wrong in the walkthrough of the stuff he has done, the dude explains why he's changed certain things.

*jizz*

There are so many amazing things that were supposedly on the Enterprise-D that they just never had the ability to actually show because they hadn't invented Set Extension yet, this could be amazing.

And also, a game company should just buy this to make Elite Force 3.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Yaos posted:

The three loving seashells in the head :lol:

drat, I want an Elite Force 3 so badly right now.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Alternatively, buy it and use it as the base for Star Trek TNG TAS.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Lol at the idea you could genetically engineer a race to never rebel and leave it at that.

Life finds a way.

Also RoboCop was literally programmed not to kill evil corp employees and yet he still managed to defeat that evil corp employee so I think having redundant controls which you hope you never need is a smart idea.

Also the Founders were paranoid, loads of stuff points to that. They think they are superior to solids in every way yet constantly scared the solids will destroy them for being different.

It's just the star trek equivalent of having 7 locks on your door and CCTV in your house.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Kitchner posted:

Lol at the idea you could genetically engineer a race to never rebel and leave it at that.

Life finds a way.

Also RoboCop was literally programmed not to kill evil corp employees and yet he still managed to defeat that evil corp employee so I think having redundant controls which you hope you never need is a smart idea.

Also the Founders were paranoid, loads of stuff points to that. They think they are superior to solids in every way yet constantly scared the solids will destroy them for being different.

It's just the star trek equivalent of having 7 locks on your door and CCTV in your house.

No he didn't. He killed the evil former corp employee!

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Kitchner posted:

RoboCop was literally programmed not to kill evil corp employees and yet he still managed to defeat that evil corp employee

I guess you missed the line "Dick, you're fired!"? It wasn't as good as Bitches Leave, but it was still there.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
It's overshadowed by him turning into slenderman on the way down.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
That's why I said defeated not "killed" as he defeated the evil corp employee by getting him fired, then he killed him :smug:

Which goes to prove my point, evil corp guy thought he was untouchable thanks to RoboCop's programming but he still found a way to gently caress him over.

Like say Jem'Hadar couldn't kill founders, Odo or someone like him could just waltz through their entire Navy and destroy the founder homeworld. Even when the other founders denounced Odo as a traitor, they wouldn't be able to fire.

Or maybe they can't kill a Founder but it doesn't mean they can't lock them all in jam jars and lock the jam jars in the vault of a planet or something.

Maybe you put some sort of genetic thing in them that means you can kill them by knowing the right word. It means the Federation or someone just needs to get that word and they can kill your entire army.

Basically what the founders did was smart and thinking you can genetically engineer super soldiers that never rebel against you is the exact type of bad guy plot villain thinking that gets you killed in super soldier rebellions.

Rattus Amicus
Mar 8, 2007

Fallit Kot. How does a species evolve a face like this? Fucker can't eat.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
It only eats with the side if it's mouth so it can look for predators better. Duh.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
they evolved to eat a food very similar to corn. that is a builtin corn holder.

Rattus Amicus
Mar 8, 2007

Germstore posted:

they evolved to eat a food very similar to corn. that is a builtin corn holder.

Best explanation i've heard so far.

Rattus Amicus
Mar 8, 2007

I made a quick mockup of what feeding time might look like.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

As far as I'm concerned Gemstore now has a degree in exobiology from the Daystrom institute.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Rattus Amicus posted:

I made a quick mockup of what feeding time might look like.

I take back my explanation, the corn one is obviously correct.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Kitchner posted:

Life finds a way.

Uh... yeah? Did you miss all the other redundancies they built in on top of the genetic engineering? The kind that make it clear they specifically did not just genetically engineer them and call it a day? The addiction to White, the brutal hierarchical structure, the control of information, all that poo poo?

Did you pay attention during the show?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
What the gently caress are you on about?

Someone else was saying it's dumb that the founders put all these pointless controls in like the poo poo you're talking about because you can just genetically engineer them to never rebel.

I'm saying it's because you can't just genetically create super solders who are unable to rebel because it never works, there's always a way around their genetics. Hence the need for all the other stuff.

You're just asking me if I noticed all the stuff I am alluding to in my post? Uhh yeah I did, that's why I'm defending it's existence?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kitchner posted:

It's showed pretty clearly the programming isn't enough, like several times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
NOTHING was enough, the Jem Hadar spent all of seasons 6 and 7 loving up, disobeying orders and creating a hostile work environment

All that wonking on and on about drugs and genetics got worse results than Russian conscripts in World War 1

The founders are bad at slave races

Vorta: Ok, kill Worf

Jem'Hadar: F.U.

Goon: The writers are saying that LIFE FINDS A WAY, MAN!

edit are we starting a pool on when that virtual reality star trek guy gets busted for you-know-what

Tujague fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 22, 2015

• Locked thread