Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Door-slamming. I know this is usually just a product of growing up in a big loud family but holy poo poo, stop it. It takes like a billionth of a fraction of a second of forethought to not slam the door. Shut it gently. See also: stomping on stairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Door-slamming. I know this is usually just a product of growing up in a big loud family but holy poo poo, stop it. It takes like a billionth of a fraction of a second of forethought to not slam the door. Shut it gently. See also: stomping on stairs.

Last year I had a roommate who always loving did this and it drove me insane. General lack of respect for the fact that people might be trying to sleep at 3 AM (or anytime really if you don't actually need to be making that much noise) is one of my biggest pet peeves. Even with white noise I could hear everything he did the moment he came into the apartment. It is not hard to close a door quietly, and I should not have to ask you to mute your loving TV at 3 AM on a weekday, especially not after bringing it up multiple times already. I'm a computer science major while he was a business major and the business program is piss easy at my university (usually what people do when they don't actually want to work in college) so we didn't exactly get along.

Now I have a roommate who's so quiet I often forget anyone else lives in the apartment, and it's awesome.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The girl upstairs does this, THREE TIMES. Thanks for waking everyone up who might have been working late last night! >:(

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Last year I had a roommate who always loving did this and it drove me insane. General lack of respect for the fact that people might be trying to sleep at 3 AM (or anytime really if you don't actually need to be making that much noise) is one of my biggest pet peeves. Even with white noise I could hear everything he did the moment he came into the apartment. It is not hard to close a door quietly, and I should not have to ask you to mute your loving TV at 3 AM on a weekday, especially not after bringing it up multiple times already. I'm a computer science major while he was a business major and the business program is piss easy at my university (usually what people do when they don't actually want to work in college) so we didn't exactly get along.

People that feel they need to justify how hard their course is and how easy someone else's is.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

HOLY gently caress posted:

The girl upstairs does this, THREE TIMES. Thanks for waking everyone up who might have been working late last night! >:(

A few years ago, my upstairs neighbor would try to vacuum...at 1 AM.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

When you're listening to music with people and someone queues up three or more songs by the same artist in a row. I don't even mind if one person queues up a bunch of songs, but if you're going to repeat an artist, put something else in between.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I thought of another one when I was at the store today!

When people don't hang up their phone when they're in the checkout line, or at least tell the person they're talking to "Can you hang on a sec?" when it's their turn. No, this human being behind the counter doesn't deserve the 10 seconds of common courtesy it takes to at least say "Hello," and "Thank you!" No, no, your cell phone conversation is way more important!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Youtube videos for games that have spoilers in the title and thumbnail so you end up getting stuff spoiled really randomly. Sometimes youtube will throw these at you even when you aren't looking at game videos at the time.

I'm sure this applies to movies and shows too.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Youtube videos for games that have spoilers in the title and thumbnail so you end up getting stuff spoiled really randomly. Sometimes youtube will throw these at you even when you aren't looking at game videos at the time.

I'm sure this applies to movies and shows too.

The worst is when people go "SPOILER! _____'S DEATH SCENE" or whatever. They realize it's a spoiler, and want to prevent people from being spoiled, but are too stupid to realize they could just word the title in a way that isn't a spoiler. Do they think people can just magically see the word 'SPOILER!' and instantly stop being able to see the words that are right there next to it?

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

How about when they literally put the last scene of the movie on the DVD cover?

There are no end of trailers these days which contain all the main plot twists or best jokes. I saw a trailer once that lasted about two minutes and contained all the main character development moments and strongly hinted at the ending. Thanks, marketing guys, now I don't need to bother paying to see the full thing.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
People who post video game spoilers without spoiler tags. Now I can't read video game threads until I finish MGSV.

Although one time I posted an innocent, unrelated-to-plot question and people mistook it for a spoiler due to my wording, and I was sad. But my bad word choice isn't the same as the goon who posted "MGSV pros: great game! Cons: HUGE PLOT POINT LOL!"

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Silver Falcon posted:

I thought of another one when I was at the store today!

When people don't hang up their phone when they're in the checkout line, or at least tell the person they're talking to "Can you hang on a sec?" when it's their turn. No, this human being behind the counter doesn't deserve the 10 seconds of common courtesy it takes to at least say "Hello," and "Thank you!" No, no, your cell phone conversation is way more important!

A significant portion of businesses around Santa Cruz have signs at the register that either forbid cellphones at all, or at least ask people to not have them at the counter. I have never seen signs like that anywhere else, so it makes me wonder what the hell happened. Like, did it become some city initiative like with the plastic bag ban? Or did local business owners get together and think it was a good idea? Or maybe there's just a lot of assholes around here.

I don't object to it, it's just really weird how many of these signs exist here.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

A few years ago, my upstairs neighbor would try to vacuum...at 1 AM.

:stare: Jesus christ. I feel bad if I vacuum at 10am because what if someone is still sleeping somewhere in my apartment building, I couldn't imagine vacuuming at 1am.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

:stare: Jesus christ. I feel bad if I vacuum at 10am because what if someone is still sleeping somewhere in my apartment building, I couldn't imagine vacuuming at 1am.

Vacuuming at three am was what got my amazingly lovely upstairs neighbours evicted. It was basically the last straw, and all of the tenants except them went to the landlord and said "either they go, or we all go, and good luck finding twenty tenants on short notice in this economy."

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Stoatbringer posted:

How about when they literally put the last scene of the movie on the DVD cover?

There are no end of trailers these days which contain all the main plot twists or best jokes. I saw a trailer once that lasted about two minutes and contained all the main character development moments and strongly hinted at the ending. Thanks, marketing guys, now I don't need to bother paying to see the full thing.

:argh:

Netflix is guilty of this from time to time. When they added Eureka Seven, the description gave away a huge reveal that happens at the very end. I guess enough people complained, though, because it was changed after a while to something more vague (and more snarky).

The show leads you to believe that all the events are happening on some hostile alien planet, and at the very end (surprise) it's future Earth. The description said "these people do blah blah on a future Earth," and now reads "forget what you know about geography" :laugh:

GOTTA STAY FAI has a new favorite as of 16:50 on Sep 21, 2015

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Stoatbringer posted:

I first noticed it when I saw the trailer for Vacancy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TK2gqYIVuc. That was the first time I said to someone, "I feel like I just watched the whole movie."

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

4-way stops can really get to me, just because the rules are super simple:
1. The person who comes to a stop first, goes first
2. If you and the person to your right stop at the exact same time, they go first.

Easy.

But there's one by my house, where people who have the right of way are always waving me through; and it takes more time than just following the simple steps outlined above.

The one that I get every time, to the point I think a hex has been put on me, is when I'm to the right of someone who stops a moment before I do. Since I'm on the right, they either get confused, or wait for me, because I guess they think "he's on the right, he has the right of way". But the rule is so drat simple... why can't they just go?! They stopped first!!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Be on time you fuckers!!! :argh:

I'm waiting for a guy I have to meet for work, after waiting fifteen minutes past the scheduled time I called him. "Sorry, I forgot, I'll be there in an hour :v:"

No, don't worry, it's fine. It's not like I had other work to do, or like I woke up at half past five this morning to be on time to the meeting :argh:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Everyone wanting to do everything in the morning. Whenever I have to book an appointment for something, they always want to make it in the morning. Whenever anyone phones me it's in the morning. I don't want to have to be awake and functioning in the morning. Can't we just all agree that whatever needs doing can wait until after lunch?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
"Recommand" instead of "recommend"

I didn't even know this was a thing but apparently a few of my loving relatives on Facebook can't spell one word.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Mikl posted:

Be on time you fuckers!!! :argh:

I'm waiting for a guy I have to meet for work, after waiting fifteen minutes past the scheduled time I called him. "Sorry, I forgot, I'll be there in an hour :v:"

No, don't worry, it's fine. It's not like I had other work to do, or like I woke up at half past five this morning to be on time to the meeting :argh:

I don't know why it's so loving hard for people to be on time. I have an internet friend who was visiting my city from out of town, and she invited us to meet her at a restaurant at 8pm. The first person to arrive at the restaurant got there at around 8:30 -- the host herself arrived at 9. I was so annoyed.

edit: I arrived at around 7:45 just in case there were reservations (there weren't).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Tendai posted:

"Recommand" instead of "recommend"

I didn't even know this was a thing but apparently a few of my loving relatives on Facebook can't spell one word.

I defiantly haven't seen that

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

I defiantly haven't seen that

Don't lie. I'll have you recommanded for that.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Tiggum posted:

Everyone wanting to do everything in the morning. Whenever I have to book an appointment for something, they always want to make it in the morning. Whenever anyone phones me it's in the morning. I don't want to have to be awake and functioning in the morning. Can't we just all agree that whatever needs doing can wait until after lunch?

I can sympathize if it's something like an 8 AM meeting, but I think anything between 10am-3pm should be fair game for meetings. Any earlier and half the people won't show up because "lol i overslept" and any later and people like me start getting antsy about getting home. I can't stand the people who have (by choice) a noon-8/9pm schedule and expect everyone to be cool about having an hour+ long meeting starting at 5pm. I like to have time to make dinner and actually do things during my evenings, I don't understand why most of my colleagues would rather be at work.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

"Boys will be boys!"

I mean in case you missed it David Cameron hosed a dead pig, yet people actually excused it with "we've all done silly things when drunk, like mooning" I think simulating oral sex with a dead pig's head is a loving step up from that.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Geokinesis posted:

"Boys will be boys!"

I mean in case you missed it David Cameron hosed a dead pig, yet people actually excused it with "we've all done silly things when drunk, like mooning" I think simulating oral sex with a dead pig's head is a loving step up from that.

Josh Duggar got the same defense, people saying "He was just a kid and he's sorry now, did you never do anything bad when you were a kid?"

I never claimed to be perfect, but my crimes at 14 were shoplifting a bag of cookies and skipping school once, not sexually assaulting my sister who is barely out of diapers.

Don't make excuses for scumbags because you like them.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

YeahTubaMike posted:

I don't know why it's so loving hard for people to be on time. I have an internet friend who was visiting my city from out of town, and she invited us to meet her at a restaurant at 8pm. The first person to arrive at the restaurant got there at around 8:30 -- the host herself arrived at 9. I was so annoyed.

edit: I arrived at around 7:45 just in case there were reservations (there weren't).

I had the same experience last year with a friend from out of town--reservation for a large party was at 6, so I got there at 5:45. Half an hour later, I'm still alone at a table for 16. When the guest of honor finally showed up, I chalked it up to her having two young kids and jet lag. But four times over the course of the weekend, same stuff kept happening. It wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't been kept waiting in the sitting room of her crazy in-laws' house while her oldest kept poking me in the armpit and her in-laws kept badmouthing her under their breath.

And my boyfriend was kind enough to DD us that day, so he was left waiting outside in the car in 90 degree heat (AC on, but still). He was happier there than he would have been in the house, for sure.

I get that kids are a pain in the rear end, but four hour-long waits over the course of a weekend, that's not kids, that's just poor time management.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Sometimes ridiculous poo poo happens, and I get that, but it is really not that hard to be on time or -- worst case scenario -- courteously late. If you think you might get lost, print directions and leave extra early. If you have to wrangle a bunch of kids/pets, do the same. If the weather is really bad and visibility's low, do the same. If there's an enormous pileup on your way somewhere, call people and let them know you'll be unexpectedly delayed.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Geokinesis posted:

"Boys will be boys!"

This and what Spalec said about the Duggars -- frankly, it fucks with my head more than the original abuse or heinous act, because what sort of unspeakably horrible poo poo have all these thousands of supporters done that they think loving a pig or your four sisters is a silly youthful indiscretion? Just how common is it to be that hosed up, anyway? :gonk:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Geokinesis posted:

"Boys will be boys!"

...I thought it was his hazing/initiation rite or something like that. Not that he was doing it by choice.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Strudel Man posted:

...I thought it was his hazing/initiation rite or something like that. Not that he was doing it by choice.

Did they force him to? Hold a gun to his head? Then no, it was a choice he made.

How much alcohol has to be involved for the dude to think oral from a dead pig is a good idea?

Peeve: people who refuse to carpool. Our parking lot is barely large enough to handle all of the people who work in the complex. But twice a month there are sector-wide meetings there, so every manager from every store pours in, leaving no parking spaces for anyone else. They've been asked to carpool, they've been told to carpool, and the reasons range from "we all drive from different places" to "I don't want strangers in my car." Well, Sherlock, I see one way to solve this! Since our stores are close together, everyone drives to the largest one and then piles into a rental van, OR into one of the many SUVs you fuckers drive.

Last night some smart sign designer set out blockades around several spots, stating these were for employees of the complex only. There were no less than six managers who came close to screaming at my boss that they have no right to limit parking and they need a place to park and if they get towed for parking in the back alley (which is a fire lane) they expect him to cover the cost.

Seriously you bitches, carpool. The meetings are eight loving hours! You get free lunch! Stop being a oval office and carpool! I wish I could loving carpool with anyone but no one lives my side of town who works anywhere close to my hours!

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
People who have annoying voices. :wom:

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
People who drive to work at rush hour when there is a perfectly good public transit system that's on time and convenient. They block up the loving highways and roads, so a 15 minute drive takes 1 hour. I KNOW you have bus stops or train stops outside your building. At rush hour the bus/ train comes every 5 minutes. These morons also end up paying $40 a day for parking, whereas public transit is $5/day.

Also they do this in winter. Do they like shoveling their car out and clearing it off every morning? Summer is probably the worst though. The buses and trains are air conditioned too! And you don't have to fight all the other morons for parking!

It makes sense if you live in some stupid suburb but this is a city with good public transit. Also because of these morons the transit authority doesn't make enough money and have to do budget cuts, which makes everything worse.

It makes me so angry and sad to be on a half empty bus at 9am and struck in a traffic jam where each car has only one jackass in it.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Cowslips Warren posted:

Did they force him to? Hold a gun to his head? Then no, it was a choice he made.

How much alcohol has to be involved for the dude to think oral from a dead pig is a good idea?
Well, okay, but it's clearly not a choice made on its own merits, any more than the various people who have died in hazing incidents thought it was a good idea to be beaten by other fraternity members or to haul around backpacks full of sand.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Thin Privilege posted:

People who drive to work at rush hour when there is a perfectly good public transit system that's on time and convenient. They block up the loving highways and roads, so a 15 minute drive takes 1 hour. I KNOW you have bus stops or train stops outside your building. At rush hour the bus/ train comes every 5 minutes. These morons also end up paying $40 a day for parking, whereas public transit is $5/day.

But you see, the bus means they have to interact with other human beings and can't blast their music while drinking coffee.

I dunno, I live in a place with fairly good bus transit and really bad traffic. I had fun watching what used to be a half an hour bus trip turn into an hour and a half on average as traffic got worse and worse. Literally every person of driving age on my street has a car except me. I don't mean one car per house, at least two. Most have four. So I guess that's what I hate, assholes who have too many cars. The street is supposed to fit two cars, one in either direction. It barely fits one now because people not only have their garages full, but park on the streets. Despite habitually leaving two or even three hours earlier than I ever should for anything I've been late a lot solely due to traffic. :suicide: I guess at least I don't wind up paying gas prices for the days I spend stuck for hours on end on a bus.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Sometimes I feel like I can't win with people.

I run a marathon. "You're going to destroy your knees! You'll break your hips and have a heart attack and DIE!!!!" My knees are fine. You know whose knees are not fine? Couch potatoes.

I start skydiving. "How can you jump out of a perfectly good plane?! What if your chute malfunctions? What if your BACKUP malfunctions?! What if you die what if what if what if?!?!?!" What if you are texting and driving and slam into someone and your seat belt breaks and your airbag explodes in your face and you die? These are things that are more likely than BOTH of my canopies failing on the same jump.

I want to apply to USAF JAG. "THE MILITARY IS FULL OF LIES THEY WILL GET YOU KILLED AND YOU WILL DIE HOW DARE YOU?!" Pretty sure the USAF JAG has had zero fatalities while on duty, but whatever, I've aged out so you win that one.

I move across the country. "But we will never see you waaaah!!!" There are these things called planes, just because you get on them doesn't mean you have to jump out.

I date someone who is not blindingly white. "But interracial relationships have XYZ problems, you'll be shunned by society, what will your grandmother think?" She is fine with it. Grammy's pretty chill, actually.

I do not get married. "But EVERY girl gets married!! Don't you want to have a big beautiful wedding?" No.

I do not have children. "But EVERY girl wants children! One day you're going to be sick of looking at germs under a microscope and want to have a couple of germs of your own! When the right guy comes along, you'll change your mind!" Did you ever stop to think for a minute that the right guy might not want kids either? Or that, perhaps, the right guy might be a girl?

I eat some tofu. "Plants feel pain too, you know!!" I'm sure they do, hey wait, which of us has earned a science degree? Oh wait, that's ME and I can tell you, no they do not, but cows, pigs and chickens do.

I don't weigh 200 pounds. "You need to eat a sandwich! What's that, a SALAD? What, are you on a DIET or something? You're already so SKIN-neeeee!" God forbid someone actually enjoy eating vegetables.

I know a lot of this comes from ignorance and complacence, and I'm trying to be patient, but if I hear "perfectly good plane" or "eat a sandwich" or "why would you want to do that?" again, I may lose my temper. Sadly, many of these bon mots have come from my dear mother, who I love very much, but it's getting really old.

ETA: I own a gun, too. Hilariously this is much more likely to get me killed than skydiving (although it's locked up in a safe and kept unloaded), but that's tooootally okay with the fam.

Maggie Fletcher has a new favorite as of 05:15 on Sep 24, 2015

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Sometimes I feel like I can't win with people.

I run a marathon. "You're going to destroy your knees! You'll break your hips and have a heart attack and DIE!!!!" My knees are fine. You know whose knees are not fine? Couch potatoes.

I start skydiving. "How can you jump out of a perfectly good plane?! What if your chute malfunctions? What if your BACKUP malfunctions?! What if you die what if what if what if?!?!?!" What if you are texting and driving and slam into someone and your seat belt breaks and your airbag explodes in your face and you die? These are things that are more likely than BOTH of my canopies failing on the same jump.

I want to apply to USAF JAG. "THE MILITARY IS FULL OF LIES THEY WILL GET YOU KILLED AND YOU WILL DIE HOW DARE YOU?!" Pretty sure the USAF JAG has had zero fatalities while on duty, but whatever, I've aged out so you win that one.

I move across the country. "But we will never see you waaaah!!!" There are these things called planes, just because you get on them doesn't mean you have to jump out.

I date someone who is not blindingly white. "But interracial relationships have XYZ problems, you'll be shunned by society, what will your grandmother think?" She is fine with it. Grammy's pretty chill, actually.

I do not get married. "But EVERY girl gets married!! Don't you want to have a big beautiful wedding?" No.

I do not have children. "But EVERY girl wants children! One day you're going to be sick of looking at germs under a microscope and want to have a couple of germs of your own! When the right guy comes along, you'll change your mind!" Did you ever stop to think for a minute that the right guy might not want kids either? Or that, perhaps, the right guy might be a girl?

I eat some tofu. "Plants feel pain too, you know!!" I'm sure they do, hey wait, which of us has earned a science degree? Oh wait, that's ME and I can tell you, no they do not, but cows, pigs and chickens do.

I don't weigh 200 pounds. "You need to eat a sandwich! What's that, a SALAD? What, are you on a DIET or something? You're already so SKIN-neeeee!" God forbid someone actually enjoy eating vegetables.

I know a lot of this comes from ignorance and complacence, and I'm trying to be patient, but if I hear "perfectly good plane" or "eat a sandwich" or "why would you want to do that?" again, I may lose my temper. Sadly, many of these bon mots have come from my dear mother, who I love very much, but it's getting really old.

ETA: I own a gun, too. Hilariously this is much more likely to get me killed than skydiving (although it's locked up in a safe and kept unloaded), but that's tooootally okay with the fam.

You need some new friends, god drat.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Jastiger posted:

You need some new friends, god drat.

It's mostly my family. My friends are chill. I've already distanced myself from some of the more rabid family members, like the ones who have called my exes racial slurs, or called me a murderer for supporting Planned Parenthood, but my mom is generally awesome (just a worrywart) but I swear she'd be happier if I just sat on the couch for the rest of my days. She means well and I love her so it's not like I can completely cut her out of my life (if she used racial slurs and was anti-choice, I probably would, but aside from her own fears of skydiving etc. she's really supportive).

Honestly, it's sometimes strangers too. People just can't seem to resist commenting on a strange woman's lunch choices.

Basically if you do anything out of the ordinary ever, people act like you've lost your drat mind.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
People who say "supposably" instead of "supposedly." Motherfuckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Buying furniture is the worst.

My GF and I just bought a house, and need a couch or futon for our downstairs "den" area. We figured a futon could be more economical than a couch, and then if we happen to have multiple guests for a night or two, there's a place to sleep that's at least a little better than the living room couch (we have a spare bedroom with a bed, but we already have one weekend coming up where we know we'll have a few overnight guests.)

A cheap Wal-Mart futon is like $100-$200, but we'd prefer a nicer one that that, but even low range nice ones are like $500-$600.

And it's the same thing with basically any piece of furniture, be it futon, couch, bed, shelf, table, chair, etc...Either you pay a tiny amount for a particle board and veneered piece of crap, or you pay $1000 for a low end good piece. It seems the only place that you can get "ok quality, ok price" is IKEA, and there isn't one near me.

I'm looking on craigslist, but I don't want the mattress, just the frame, because bedbugs and other grossness of a used mattress. But no one has just a frame, and no one wants to sell just a frame because then they'd still have to pay to get rid of the mattress, and I don't want to pay to get rid of a mattress I don't want...

And pretty soon we'll have to go through the whole drat process again when we shop for a kitchen table set. At least that should be a little easier to get used?