Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Deadly Intersection posted:

if you're like me and have no self control, hockey tron is selling their leather $89 gloves for $32 today if you use the code LG60 at checkout. You can even get retro-brown colored ones and we can match!!!

How do they fit? I like my gloves tight around the wrists, which is apparently really hard to find. Of course I don't need new gloves but you never know...

I was on a breakaway last night and the other team's defense came flying in. I saw him coming and my first thought was this is going to hurt. Not enough time to stop I flip over and jam my ring finger into the boards. My hand is black and blue from the ring finger till about 1/4 into my hand. Luckily just a jammed finger and not a busted wrist or finger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Trip report: The Everett Silvertips' ice was humid as gently caress. EVERYTHING was foggy. Just like the smaller rink there's a couple spots where it literally feels like their is hot air being blown on you like from a heater it's weird. That being said, it's pretty drat cool in there to be playing on "pro" ice and with all that arena-ness around you.

if you're like me and have no self control, hockey tron is selling their leather $89 gloves for $32 today if you use the code LG60 at checkout. You can even get retro-brown colored ones and we can match!!!

Aww the price went back up. Not like I'd actually buy them anyway but that... certainly is an interesting color of brown. :stare:

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

BlackMK4 posted:

I played ice hockey from 7 years old to 18 years old - mostly a B level player. I'm 28 now and I kinda want to get back in to it a little bit, though I only have my skates, helmet, and stick left. My skates are tight width wise in the toe box area on one foot, is there any way around buying a set of new ones?

I played a fuckload back in the day at this place that had half-size rinks 3 on 3 no goalies. Really, really fun but it seems they are closed now.

From your posts in CA I thought you were in California, but your profile shows AZ so I must be wrong.

But if you are in so cal by chance there's a bunch of us that play down here.

love on the cheap
Aug 5, 2008

calandryll posted:

How do they fit? I like my gloves tight around the wrists, which is apparently really hard to find. Of course I don't need new gloves but you never know...

I was on a breakaway last night and the other team's defense came flying in. I saw him coming and my first thought was this is going to hurt. Not enough time to stop I flip over and jam my ring finger into the boards. My hand is black and blue from the ring finger till about 1/4 into my hand. Luckily just a jammed finger and not a busted wrist or finger.

i've never owned them before, but i found this review for the tighter version of the gloves: http://www.crossicehockey.com/review-tron-10-danglers-hockey-gloves/

which reads like a paid advertisement but has some detail to it that i couldn't find elsewhere.

Duke Chin posted:

Aww the price went back up. Not like I'd actually buy them anyway but that... certainly is an interesting color of brown. :stare:

yeah i'm stoked

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

i've never owned them before, but i found this review for the tighter version of the gloves: http://www.crossicehockey.com/review-tron-10-danglers-hockey-gloves/

which reads like a paid advertisement but has some detail to it that i couldn't find elsewhere.

yeah i'm stoked

Oh man that's tempting. One of the guys I play with has the looser version. If they are tighter, very tempting. The real question is does the brown clash with my green pants.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
I think brown and green are complimentary so no they don't clash you'll need another color

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

yeah i'm stoked

heheheh they're brown as heck and called "the danglers". :shrek: (I'm a goddamn 12 year old)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Nitramster posted:

From your posts in CA I thought you were in California, but your profile shows AZ so I must be wrong.

But if you are in so cal by chance there's a bunch of us that play down here.

Nah, I just head out to California tracks a couple of times a month :v:

I'm not against traveling for some games though, sounds fun if it is a dropin league. Let me get my legs under me and we shall see. :)

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Welp, 1 game into the season and I pulled my groin today doing loving lunges

Jesus Christ

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

delpheye posted:

Dues are a team fee but if a team rosters more than the enforced minimum then each player pays the same 670 they would have anyway, so the league makes more off larger teams.

That's sketchy as gently caress. If it's a team fee, it should be the same price regardless of how many are on the roster.

It would never fly in the Chicago area, rinks actually have to compete with each other around here so they're all pretty much priced the exact same. Each team ends up around $200 per game and you can ice as many or as few as you want.

Do they police subs too?

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

doctor 7 posted:

Welp, 1 game into the season and I pulled my groin today doing loving lunges

Jesus Christ

Should have had four pasta meals.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

bgreman posted:

Should have had four pasta meals.

:laffo:

But seriously, stretched properly beforehand and everything. So unstoked. :(

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

delpheye posted:

Previous to this year we tried to only carry 11-12 and a goalie. There are usually one two who are out for whatever reason, but we feel like 10 is the perfect number of skaters in a game.

Realy it's a gripe about the hypothetical scenarios they're suggesting could be come a reality.

Yeah, we do too. But we pay a premium to the league to do so, and our team fee is a literal team fee. You pay it and the league butts out except to enforce obvious skill mis matches and to make sure you don't have too many on the roster.

Have you offered to buy out spots 13 and 14 and distribute the costs across the team? That's basically what we do via team fee. No one minds because they like their 10!

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

xzzy posted:

That's sketchy as gently caress. If it's a team fee, it should be the same price regardless of how many are on the roster.

It would never fly in the Chicago area, rinks actually have to compete with each other around here so they're all pretty much priced the exact same. Each team ends up around $200 per game and you can ice as many or as few as you want.

Do they police subs too?

Starcenter has almost a complete monopoly on ice rinks in the DFW area. There are 2 I'm aware of that they don't own. Their stranglehold on the ice skating community is literally the only thing they've done correctly.

No subs unless they pay their 670 league fees. We manage to convince the league to let us have 2 part time players but as far as I'm aware, we have to schedule the games each will attend ahead of time, so it's basically pointless. They tried to do the same thing for goalies, but every team across all divisions stood up to that, and I guess they realized how many potential forfeits they were looking at if they didn't let teams sub in a goalie.

sellouts posted:

Yeah, we do too. But we pay a premium to the league to do so, and our team fee is a literal team fee. You pay it and the league butts out except to enforce obvious skill mis matches and to make sure you don't have too many on the roster.

Have you offered to buy out spots 13 and 14 and distribute the costs across the team? That's basically what we do via team fee. No one minds because they like their 10!

We had a vote to buy out the spots, but the league has said that if they have free agents and no where else to put them, they'll end up on teams with fewer than the minimum, making it yet another a pointless money grab.

I realize my posts come off as one-upping forever but I have yet to find a league run as poorly and unfairly as this one. At every turn, the league wants to poo poo on anyone they can.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

delpheye posted:

No subs unless they pay their 670 league fees.

Haha gently caress that.

I never had any intention to spend time in Dallas, but that's another mark in the "nope, never" column.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

xzzy posted:

Haha gently caress that.

I never had any intention to spend time in Dallas, but that's another mark in the "nope, never" column.

The upside is that there is stick and puck or pickup somewhere accessible literally every night of the week.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Replaced my E600 helmet with a Bauer IMS 7.0 This thing fits great and it doesn't have that lovely Bauer glue that their helmets had a few years ago.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

delpheye posted:

We had a vote to buy out the spots, but the league has said that if they have free agents and no where else to put them, they'll end up on teams with fewer than the minimum, making it yet another a pointless money grab.

I'm not following this, you can't put a player down with a fake name who never shows up? Sign up someone's wife/neighbor, have them pay in full, and by the time they realize that person isn't playing the league has sorted all free agents anyways and who's to say they won't play later?

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

sellouts posted:

I'm not following this, you can't put a player down with a fake name who never shows up? Sign up someone's wife/neighbor, have them pay in full, and by the time they realize that person isn't playing the league has sorted all free agents anyways and who's to say they won't play later?

Yeah, that's a possibility. There's a ceiling to the amount of effort we're willing to go through to get our roster where we need it. I'm not saying *I* wouldn't do it but I'm an indian, not a chief. On the surface it's stupid to make people jump through those kind of hoops just to get to skate with the team they want. The way I see it, the league should set a team fee, let the individual teams work their own poo poo out and collect their money. Though, collecting money is a totally different topic on which they fail consistently every season.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yes, agreed, but signing up people seems easy.

Team fee is fun. I like 12k in spg points 2x a year but I don't have deadbeats on my team.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

sellouts posted:

Yes, agreed, but signing up people seems easy.

Team fee is fun. I like 12k in spg points 2x a year but I don't have deadbeats on my team.

You know whats up SPG buddy. We use ours for everything and just pay it off.

I've often thought about doing this until I found out my last league didn't accept American Express.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
If anyone is going to be in Socal next year between Feb 12-15 my team needs a couple more people for the Anaheim Ducks Throwback Classic.
http://ducks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=107415
We're booking the team by the end of next week so shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Man I wish they'd do something like that up here...

...and y'know, that we'd have an NHL team to do this with also.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Acethomas posted:

If anyone is going to be in Socal next year between Feb 12-15 my team needs a couple more people for the Anaheim Ducks Throwback Classic.
http://ducks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=107415
We're booking the team by the end of next week so shoot me a PM if you're interested.

I wish I could guarantee my availability.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

D C posted:

I wish I could guarantee my availability.

I'm pretty sure you'd be kicked off their team for being too big of a ringer

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Like any beer league ever kicks ringers off.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I swear to god I've start pad stack tackling ringers on breakaways now in games. It sucks when your team is winning by a goal and then the ringer steps on the ice and proceeds to just burn everybody.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Ours does

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

sellouts posted:

Ours does

Ours claims to, but never actually has except for one season in 2010. Now we have a rule that no one can play 2 divisions away from their primary, which is decided arbitrarily. A few years ago we had a guy on our roster that played in B and on our team in low C. They removed him from his B team roster and made him slum it all season. lol

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Ours does. It may not happen at the game in hand, but teams will forfeit that game after the fact, if they use illegal players.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Ours communicates like adults with other adults to tell a team that they cannot have a player play. The league works on finding that new player a slot on another team if they're a random or moving a team up if they're insistent or otherwise figuring it out.

I can think of one team that left because they had a player who was too good, they went to another rink, got steamrolled in the only open division, and now that player plays in our highest division with other really good players and curb stomps my team every 5 weeks.

At the higher levels there are less complaints and our silver league is anyone who wants to play can play, no skill ceiling.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

sellouts posted:

I'm pretty sure you'd be kicked off their team for being too big of a ringer

Nah, I played on that team last year and that tourney was a joke as far as balance goes. The div we were in was the 2nd lowest, meant for 2-5 year players and we were facing teams that traveled from vegas and pheonix that had been playing together for 10 years.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

DC is really good.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

Nitramster posted:

Nah, I played on that team last year and that tourney was a joke as far as balance goes. The div we were in was the 2nd lowest, meant for 2-5 year players and we were facing teams that traveled from vegas and pheonix that had been playing together for 10 years.

Isn't this par for the course in tournaments? Everyone registers several divisions lower to try and game the system only to show up and discover that they aren't very original at all?

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
I've only been around the game for a year, but from SAS's experiences yes, that's how it goes, haha.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
So I've noticed before that I usually lift the puck easier with my Zetterberg curve than my Iginla. "That doesn't make sense, though," I thought, "the Zetterberg is flat!" So I took it out on the ice this week, and fired two pucks over the glass with my first two shots. :downsgun:
I also noticed that my lower hand was getting sore after a lot of shooting with my cut-down Senior stick. I assume this is an error of technique on my part, gripping or relying too much on the bottom hand to get some snap with the heavier stick. I've never noticed it when using an Intermediate.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I never liked the Iginla patten for that reason. It's similar to the Stamkos pattern which I use but the closed blade screws up my ability to shoot high

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Can anybody confirm/deny that Bauer Nexus (player) skates fit similarly to the Reactor (goalie) skates? I'm going to be playing as a forward for winter league since there were no spots for additional goalies, but when I skated on my Vapors, it felt like I was leaned way too far forward. The Reactor skates have me leaned back a bit more on my heel, which tends to give me more stability, however I get the feeling goalie skates are more stable since they are longer and flatter with the skate blade curve.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Played on the Flyers ice on Friday evening. It was great, ice was beautiful but man if the puck didn't die off the boards. It was also a bit odd to hear no sound when the puck bounces off the bottom of the boards.

They had a cutout of the Pope since he was coming to town the next day. Did a bit of shopping to add him to the bench. Of course he'd play for the light team:

I'm the one in the green pants up near the glass. The other Main borrowed my jersey since he forgot his.

Edit: Better picture of the Pope cutout.

calandryll fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

drizzle posted:

Just getting your attention; drizzle.

Has your team ever had any trouble with El Pirates? We just came off of a 7-5 loss with them but holy poo poo was it a penalty fest that may have gotten two of their players suspended or booted from the league. One of their guys tossed his gear and started throwing punches at one of our guys for a trip, then whoever #17 is on EP decided to repeatedly slash our goalie's glove hand (after it'd already been stepped on). Same guy decided to drop his stick and take a run straight at me in the last minute of the game.

I wasn't involved in any of the shenanigans and was actually pleasant with them for the entire game. So what the gently caress ever.