Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Holyshoot posted:

Do I need to watch the 6 part mini series or can I skip that?

HRG's sidekick is way more likable in the web stuff, and it does a better job setting up the status quo for Evos than the episodes did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Interestingly on rewatch, I'm fairly certain that one of the books Noah pulled to open the door mentioned something about pennies. I had a random moment wondering if each book represented a Primatech person and penny man is formerly of his team.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Is this gonna be a contained story in 13 episodes? The pilot episodes were fine, but if it's bein laid out for multiple seasons it will just get progressively worse like the original.

Edit: The books were Haitian Voodo, Pennies from Heaven, The Invisible Man, Finding yourself and one that I couldn't decipher (I think it has the word time on the cover though). Seems like you are right with your theory.

Eezee fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 26, 2015

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Dexo posted:

If this show can somehow salvage Mohinder then I'll fully allow myself to open up to it.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Heroes: Reborn: Mohinder, Mo' Problems

Seriously, except for his brief heel turn, he was always one of my favorite characters and probably the one I'd most like to see back besides Hiro. Also Ando. Gotta have Ando.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

kdrudy posted:

Making those two seems like big threats right away killing that first group was probably a mistake. They shouldn't be a big threat, just a deadly nuisance.

The Japan stuff was strange, the power there doesn't make much sense and story there made even less sense. I get it was there to be more lighthearted and fun like i the original first season, but it seemed silly.

Overall I'm interested to see more, but I'm not confident yet it's not going to go completely off the rails.

The Japan stuff reminded me of Log Horizon. It's a show about people who got stuck in a MMORPG world with a similar style; with the buildings all overgrown with vegetation as if everyone died and a couple of years passed.
There are a lot of anime, manga and light novels these days depicting people living in essentially a video game world. I'm assuming they decided to crib from that for this storyline.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
So where's Mr Muggles? I need to know what happened to him!

Videogame stuff was super lame.

Eh, I'll keep watching for now.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
OK correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Noah leave Primatech after season 1 and seasons 2-4 were him FIGHTING "the company?" Now they're making it seem like he was with them the whole time and only quit after the June 13th event.

Also how does he think Claire could have died from a bomb when Claire's power was invulnerability? I mean I understand that the show is setting up that there's a possibility that she isn't dead, but why would Noah think she possibly could have been dead in the first place when HER POWER WAS NOT-DYING?

And not just him, she was apparently a public figure for her being the one to reveal her powers and expose everything, how did the public at large get fooled into thinking she died from a bomb with the powers she had?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah the Claire thing was dumb, not dying is like the one thing she's good at. I chalk some of that up to the fact that his memory was messed with, but I have no idea whether or not that was intended. Or maybe she literally got blown to bits or something and all the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put her together again. Also they really didn't do a good job of explaining why evos are being hunted and slaughtered just because of a terrorist attack that killed both sides. I forget did Mohinder have powers?

Mr. Moneypenny (that's his name and I'm sticking to it) was definitely the best part, unconventional powers are my favourite thing.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Sep 26, 2015

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Hakkesshu posted:

I forget did Mohinder have powers?

He didn't in the first two seasons but then in the third season he did experiments on himself that backfired and transformed him into an evil insect-man who captured people and put them in cocoons. Then some people worked on a formula to turn him back and he regained his normal personality but kept the power of super-strength which he had for the rest of the series.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

gently caress I forgot about that loving Fly poo poo, holy poo poo that was stupid

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
I think we are supposed to pretend that nothing after the first season happened besides Claire revealing Evos to the world.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Zachary Levi and his wife became kind of a mess when they went from hunting evos due to a personal tragedy to just massacring a building full of obviously non evo office workers because maybe they were confused I guess? Clearly something weird was going on they would be concerned about but they kind of went zero to sixty on "Welp better just kill everyone here"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bbf2 posted:

OK correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Noah leave Primatech after season 1 and seasons 2-4 were him FIGHTING "the company?" Now they're making it seem like he was with them the whole time and only quit after the June 13th event.

Also how does he think Claire could have died from a bomb when Claire's power was invulnerability? I mean I understand that the show is setting up that there's a possibility that she isn't dead, but why would Noah think she possibly could have been dead in the first place when HER POWER WAS NOT-DYING?

And not just him, she was apparently a public figure for her being the one to reveal her powers and expose everything, how did the public at large get fooled into thinking she died from a bomb with the powers she had?

Sufficient brain damage would kill her permanently. So would total obliteration.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Aphrodite posted:

Sufficient brain damage would kill her permanently. So would total obliteration.

So you're saying she binge watched the first series before the bomb went off? Makes sense.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Eezee posted:

I think we are supposed to pretend that nothing after the first season happened besides Claire revealing Evos to the world.

If that's the case, I hope they ignore parts of season one too. Mainly, anything to do with Ali Larter's character.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I had no idea the pilot for this had already aired. Watched the first 15 minutes on Hulu and just couldn't do any more. Looks like Heroes will not be reborn for me.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Eezee posted:

I thought the receptionist Noah attacked was Simone until she crumpled like an empty paper bag. What is and isn't canon is the biggest question mark the show has to offer.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, remember it was implied/shown that in at least a couple different realities, she's capable of dying.

1) The one where FutureHiro is from when he comes back to talk to Peter on the train. 'Save the cheerleader, save the world' wouldn't make much sense of she couldn't be killed.

2) The one a few years into the future of the first season. Sylar, disguised as Nathan, (I think?) kills Claire. I want to say in the white house when he's president?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Any of y'all that seriously think those two episodes weren't as good as the first two episodes of season 1 have some serious nostalgia goggles on.

Stop being cynical for like five seconds and admit this showed way more promise than seasons 2-4 gave any indication it would.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Except didn't Sylar, whose power was knowing how stuff worked so well that he could somehow copy powers, say that he was pretty sure that Claire couldn't die ever (that time when he cut her head open)?

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

I had to turn it off after the show went cartoon. Did it get any better?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tiggum posted:

Except didn't Sylar, whose power was knowing how stuff worked so well that he could somehow copy powers, say that he was pretty sure that Claire couldn't die ever (that time when he cut her head open)?

I think it's a Wolverine deal where if even a single cell of her survives she's good, so yeah, she's deffo alive and gonna make a cameo at some point.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

precision posted:

Any of y'all that seriously think those two episodes weren't as good as the first two episodes of season 1 have some serious nostalgia goggles on.

Stop being cynical for like five seconds and admit this showed way more promise than seasons 2-4 gave any indication it would.

It was fun and dumb in a way that 2 - 4 were not. Season 1 had the "what the gently caress is gonna happen?" factor. This had a "this is going to turn poo poo fast, isn't it?" dread.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The videogame portions sure did look like they got the same people who make fake videogames on SVU to do them. I was half expecting Ice-T to show up with Mariska Hargitay and deliver some exposition.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Gonz posted:

The videogame portions sure did look like they got the same people who make fake videogames on SVU to do them. I was half expecting Ice-T to show up with Mariska Hargitay and deliver some exposition.

You guys do realize that a show like this doesn't have the budget to make Uncharted 4 just for the purposes of a few scenes, right.

I mean who cares if it looked a decade old, I still found the actual use of it to be just fine.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

precision posted:

You guys do realize that a show like this doesn't have the budget to make Uncharted 4 just for the purposes of a few scenes, right.

I mean who cares if it looked a decade old, I still found the actual use of it to be just fine.

No, I get it. It's not gonna be P.T. levels of graphics, and i'm just nitpicking. I enjoyed the premiere overall.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The animation itself seemed solid though. It wasn't jerky or anything, pretty smooth.

Tiggum posted:

Well he personally killed her twice.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yeah, remember it was implied/shown that in at least a couple different realities, she's capable of dying.

1) The one where FutureHiro is from when he comes back to talk to Peter on the train. 'Save the cheerleader, save the world' wouldn't make much sense of she couldn't be killed.

2) The one a few years into the future of the first season. Sylar, disguised as Nathan, (I think?) kills Claire. I want to say in the white house when he's president?

Wasn't "Save the Cheerleader, Save the World" meaning save her from Sylar so that he wouldn't become immortal and survive nuclear man?

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
Dumb guy made the same dumb show.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Well he personally killed her twice.

Did he though? I don't actually remember it, but it might have been like that time she ended up in the morgue because she had something stuck through her head and then woke up when it was removed. You might be able to keep her dormant, but can you actually kill her? I guess the real answer is "if whoever's writing this week's episode says you can, you can. Until someone retcons it."

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
That's how every comic/superhero ever works though.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
It's pretty clear that Claire was not killed in the bomb, because HRG is trying to call her from the outskirts of the town and does not reach her, implying he did not have contact with her for quite some time. It makes a lot more sense that his memory was messed with after the bomb to make him believe she was killed in that explosion, to make sure he does not mess with the plan to kill all Evos.

Claire won't come back because Hayden Panettiere has a contract with ABC for Nashville and I highly doubt they will give her permission to guest star on NBC's Heroes Reborn.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

GaussianCopula posted:

Claire won't come back because Hayden Panettiere has a contract with ABC for Nashville and I highly doubt they will give her permission to guest star on NBC's Heroes Reborn.

I wouldn't put it past them to bring the character back, looking completely different because of reasons.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

VBane posted:

Yeah, as everyone has said, the video game thing is really left field and strange, but a handful of things about it keep me from completely writing it off.

1. Not sure but that looked like it could be future Tokyo.

It looked like the Shibuya district of Tokyo with a couple of modifications. The building she lives in is real (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakagin_Capsule_Tower) and in real life it's located in a different part of the city. The enemy's office tower is (perhaps unsurprisingly) fictional.

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!
My favorite part of the premiere was when HRG was giving that long speech about following your dreams and then the camera pans back and he is just trying to sell some lady a car. I thought the premiere was pretty good even if the video game stuff was awful, certainly good enough to keep me watching.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

precision posted:

The actual plotline is just as dumb (and semi-racist, honestly) and they probably shouldn't have done it that way. There are any number of ways they could make a cool alternate-reality travelling power that doesn't involve fake video game poo poo

ALSO JAPANESE DON'T READ LEFT TO RIGHT HOW COULD THEY MAKE SUCH AN ERROR WHAT A TRAVESTY

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Tiggum posted:

I wouldn't put it past them to bring the character back, looking completely different because of reasons.

Yeah, that's the most logical way to bring back Ali Larter.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

GaussianCopula posted:

I could see ABC allowing her to do a single guest appearance, much like NBC are allowing a Constantine guest appearance on Arrow. I'd be shocked if we don't see Claire show up towards the end of the season. It's such an easy way to grab viewers, NBC wouldn't pass it up, and anything that gets Hayden Panettiere more publicity can only be positive for ABC and Nashville.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

TyrantWD posted:

I could see ABC allowing her to do a single guest appearance, much like NBC are allowing a Constantine guest appearance on Arrow. I'd be shocked if we don't see Claire show up towards the end of the season. It's such an easy way to grab viewers, NBC wouldn't pass it up, and anything that gets Hayden Panettiere more publicity can only be positive for ABC and Nashville.

Claire already showed up in the season preview trailer, as a corpse with a white sheet covering everything except her blond hair.

It makes no sense for ABC to allow Panettiere to show up on Heroes, as that would be a major boost to Heroes Reborn (she is probably the best known star of the original) who would promote the crap out of it, while the number of people who see her on Heroes and go "she is a brilliant actress, I need to see more of her, let's watch Nashville" is close to zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

TyrantWD posted:

Not sure of the deal NBC has with Constantine, but is it possible they released their claim to the character when they didn't renew? Especially when the show was trying to get picked up by another network (there was hope for a little while that the CW would pick them up to add to their stable of DC shows)

• Locked thread