Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Well, I'll never understand the "every gadget of X class sucks cept this one, let's nerf it so they all suck". What does bring support aside from bullets? Hell, medics can't kill armor (at least anything more than a jeep with the m203), but bringing back tickets is really powerful for the team overall. Mortars aren't useful, UCAVs got nerfed hard (well, it was risk-free and really easy to handle), the airburst was anti infantry and because it killed a lot of roof campers got nerfed hard and now C4 wich is basically the only gadget worth even for infantry maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Allow infantry weapons, at least LMGs, to damage helicopters. Problem solved.

Or that, yeah. DICE, or DICE LA now I guess, seem to be completely incapable of simple solutions.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ak Gara posted:

Jesus. Would it kill someone to hire a good single player campaign writer? That was a slog to get through.

Also, holy poo poo 61.5 gig for everything+DLC.

The mistake wasn't having a bad single player writer, it was was having single player at all.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

I hear rumblings of complaints from CTE about C4 getting nerfed...

http://youtu.be/rqHPTfbFSso

Someone needs to buy a :dice: for dice LA. About 80% of those changes were supposed to be other changes. I mean why even have internal testing if you don't actually test changes based on the feedback from that. C4 changes was supposed to be a blast radius nerf, ucav was supposed to be 15sec from spawn with a 30 second cool down not a flat 45 seconds. The repair tool was supposed to be disabled not the launchers. And on and on and on. I swear I am going to buy them a box of crayons so they can write things down and maybe actually test the intended changes rather than changes to the intended changes.

Just make all the letters start at DICE then start swaping places and get crushed by a brick with LA on it or some poo poo.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Though in other "gently caress scout helicopters" news, I recently revisited being an anti-air attack boat on Paracel Storm and it remains hilarious. Fire one missile, chase it down while you wait for the ECM or flares to go away, and then immediately follow it up with 3 more missiles and the burst cannon. Sure you have to run from every other boat on the map (Weapon balance!) but if the scout helicopters on the map are particularly deadly or persistent you'll soon have them ignoring everything in favour of you. Even jets can get a surprise not expecting missiles to be on another side of the map from the MAA they just ran from.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
After almost maxing my Recon Class on Conquest Large as a Sniper, I gave Assault a try in a Rush Classic, and I got 7-16 K/D which is the most kills I've had in a match! I normally only get 2, maybe 3 kills as Assault in a Team Deathmatch round.

[edit] The kits, Offensive/Spec Ops/Sniper etc, they have "levels"?

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Oh now this is an interesting change at 9:38:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqHPTfbFSso&t=578s

Dude wants to add a mechanic where you heal or resupply slowly if you're just near an ammo box or medpack, but you can heal or resupply faster if you abandon you weapons and equipment and hold down the interact button. I'd be very interested to see how this plays out, especially on a medpack/ammo-spamfest of a solid stalemate on Locker where one team can't push past into C. Plus I just like seeing my dude in FarCry dig a bullet out of his arm or whatever, maybe there's a quicktime event where you open the medpack and stab yourself with a needle or bandage yourself or whatever. I figure outside of a CQB game mode or dug-in war attrition on Locker it probably won't change much just because action is more spread out, but on a big conquest game people don't use ammo or medpacks as much anyway.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 24, 2015

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Friar Zucchini posted:

Dude wants to add a mechanic where you heal or resupply slowly if you're just near an ammo box or medpack, but you can heal or resupply faster if you abandon you weapons and equipment and hold down the interact button. I'd be very interested to see how this plays out, especially on a medpack/ammo-spamfest of a solid stalemate on Locker where one team can't push past into C. Plus I just like seeing my dude in FarCry dig a bullet out of his arm or whatever, maybe there's a quicktime event where you open the medpack and stab yourself with a needle or bandage yourself or whatever. I figure outside of a CQB game mode or dug-in war attrition on Locker it probably won't change much just because action is more spread out, but on a big conquest game people don't use ammo or medpacks as much anyway.

Sounds good to me. So long as I can grab handfulls of C4 as I plow along in my jeep sounds cool.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Kibayasu posted:

DICE: "Hm, we could fix the main problem with scout helicopters, that they can get repaired in mid-air, but clearly the main problem is actually that engineers occasionally fire rockets from the side seats. Also we'll once again reduce the effectiveness of a really good counter to them, the UCAV."

Seriously DICE? No one ever complained that engineers could fire their rocket launchers from the side seat. And if they did they were also the same air spergs that had you reduce the SRAW which you are now undoing to some extent. Let them fire whatever they want to and restrict the repair tool.

At least they changed the grenade resupply times back to something resembling reasonable.

Not only do helicopters not take damage from small arms, they also are going to make scout helicopters have armored windshields so you can't through the glass anymore, and are making it so explosives do not damage the glass anymore or something. So you won't be able to snipe, shotgun, frag, or LMG people in the helicopters anymore in addition to not being able to UCAV them, and the ruination of the SRAW that already took place.

Oh but :siren: air mines :siren: are getting a slight buff so I guess it's all okay.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I am glad I stopped playing since the SRAW nerf. It seems like Dice is owned by a retarded scout sperm who dictates what to do. gently caress that.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Chronojam posted:

Not only do helicopters not take damage from small arms, they also are going to make scout helicopters have armored windshields so you can't through the glass anymore, and are making it so explosives do not damage the glass anymore or something.

They made the glass bulletproof because it was resulting in double damage to the SH from penetrating the glass and then hitting the interior. It's not explosive-proof so I don't know where that's coming from.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Why not just remove the hitbox from the glass then?

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Pharnakes posted:

Why not just remove the hitbox from the glass then?

I assume because then you'd do no damage to the Helo when hitting the glass. Unless you mean just have no collision for the glass, meaning the cockpit is just there for looks, which wouldn't make any sense because it's supposed to protect the pilot.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

New Concept Hole posted:

They made the glass bulletproof because it was resulting in double damage to the SH from penetrating the glass and then hitting the interior. It's not explosive-proof so I don't know where that's coming from.

Explosions used to go through the glass, so you could use things like frag rounds to great effect. They're changing that.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
They should put a tranquilizer pistol in this game

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

whalestory posted:

They should put a tranquilizer pistol in this game

Dice would just Nerf it to the point an actual Nerf gun would do more good.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
T-t-they should just put a nerf gun in this game...

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
There's already a nerf gun, it's called the FN57

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

New Concept Hole posted:

Nah, its the Phantom Bow.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Hah, Metro level + M249, in the subway tunnels there was so much smoke and everything that I couldn't even hope to see what I was aiming at, still got a ton of suppression and kill points :v:

It was my first time on that map, and it was like that one scene from Predator, no idea who's shooting at what, but fuckit open fire!!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Metro is complete garbage and you should not play Metro. Even if you're winning it's garbage and not fun.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
If Metro comes up just farm for resupply ribbons.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Just have fun, my friend... lots and lots of fun

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Metro is for killing people with a launched flashbang

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

All praise the smoke changes to be. If they do in fact block IRNV and FLIR it's going to be the best type of grenade to carry for almost any situation. Of course, that'll make flares totally worthless because of a lack of blinding effects but DICE doesn't give a poo poo.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
When did they take out the Vatican dog tag :(

I thought something seemed off

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

whalestory posted:

Just have fun, my friend... lots and lots of fun

Yep, just do whatever

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Olive Branch posted:

All praise the smoke changes to be. If they do in fact block IRNV and FLIR it's going to be the best type of grenade to carry for almost any situation. Of course, that'll make flares totally worthless because of a lack of blinding effects but DICE doesn't give a poo poo.

According to a video from the same guy who was linked a bit ago smoke won't block it completely but only beyond a certain range. According to his testing on the current conditions, if you're within 15 meters of the IR/FLIR scope you'll still be easily seen but the image fades out quickly beyond that.

And if you're playing Metro and on the Russian side grab a Frag Round auto-shotgun and fire at walls and ceilings. Bring smoke grenades and a FLIR for additional fun. If you're on the US side just quit because even if you're winning it's boring. Shotgun also applies to Locker.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Or bring smoke grenades and throw them at your campingest team mates.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Kibayasu posted:

According to a video from the same guy who was linked a bit ago smoke won't block it completely but only beyond a certain range. According to his testing on the current conditions, if you're within 15 meters of the IR/FLIR scope you'll still be easily seen but the image fades out quickly beyond that.
I can accept this with gusto, actually. Something should counter smoke but not make it trivial, so the 15 meter thing works out pretty well. It'd make shotguns with the scopes and smokes really powerful.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Frankly considering how few people use smoke/IR/FLIR outside of Locker/Metro (plus night Zavod now I guess) and how small the smoke cloud overall is the bigger change is that smoke will finally block spotting and remove any active doritos that are inside/behind it.

Come to think of it, wasn't smoke blocking spotting/spots something that was already in Bad Company 2?

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Tank smoke unspotted you in BF3 I think. They hosed the smoke in 4 by making it two different smokes.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Sandweed posted:

Tank smoke unspotted you in BF3 I think. They hosed the smoke in 4 by making it two different smokes.

And by making active protection the go-to perk. Even if it can be unreliable.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

New Concept Hole posted:

So what you're saying is your finger isn't fast enough. It's got the highest fire rate cap of any sidearm, tied with the QSZ, which has a smaller magazine. The way I use a sidearm, small damage in more hits is better than high damage in a few hits because "a few" hits means none at all cause I can't aim for poo poo. It's just bullet spam, which is all I care about in that category cause it's my last-ditch "try not to die" option. The Deagle is absolutely worthless for that, it fires too slow and it's stupid inaccurate.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
It's a bad gun because the G18 is better at "spam" at close range, while the CZ75, the M1911, and the Compact 45 are better semi-auto pistols with regards to medium range. Having a 455 RPM is a useless detail when your damage model is significantly worse than the competition until 27 meters, at which point the gun can't fire at its full cyclic rate to achieve it's theoretical advantage over its competition. It's a victim of being designed for a role that never existed and was permanently lost after revolvers lost their double-action delay: finishing off an enemy after you body-shot them with a sniper rifle.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

TubeStank posted:

Please leave my jihad vehicles alone dice.

Solution: teamwork for double the C4 deployed.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Someone tell me a good way to use mines because I need 25 kills for the premium assignment. Is it better to just lay them down somewhere on the map or directly charge tanks and drop them right behind them?

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Someone tell me a good way to use mines because I need 25 kills for the premium assignment. Is it better to just lay them down somewhere on the map or directly charge tanks and drop them right behind them?

Play Zavod on the US side. Take the Engineer's AT Perk and set two sets of 2 AT15s and 2 sets of 3 Slams and an AT15 across the map. Otherwise, just place them around blind corners, just behind the crest of hills, in shadows and other things.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Friar Zucchini posted:

It's just bullet spam, which is all I care about in that category cause it's my last-ditch "try not to die" option. The Deagle is absolutely worthless for that, it fires too slow and it's stupid inaccurate.
That's exactly what the Deagle is for, what part of 2 quick chest hits to death at <15m is not appealing in an ammo emergency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Assuming that one allows all mines, I'd probably just take SLAMs and slap them right on enemy vehicles like C4, it'll detonate once they drive off or you shoot it. Comedy option would be to put them on one of your own vehicles and then abandon it in enemy territory for them to take. Good places to put them are also on the underside of bridges where boats are likely to pass through (mostly on Hainan Resort) or on the side of roadside debris. If you place them passively, always try to put them behind enemy lines. People tend to be fairly wary of mines once they approach the front lines, but almost everybody will just blithely drive down the road near their main base without a second thought.

• Locked thread