Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Perestroika posted:

Assuming that one allows all mines, I'd probably just take SLAMs and slap them right on enemy vehicles like C4, it'll detonate once they drive off or you shoot it. Comedy option would be to put them on one of your own vehicles and then abandon it in enemy territory for them to take. Good places to put them are also on the underside of bridges where boats are likely to pass through (mostly on Hainan Resort) or on the side of roadside debris. If you place them passively, always try to put them behind enemy lines. People tend to be fairly wary of mines once they approach the front lines, but almost everybody will just blithely drive down the road near their main base without a second thought.

It takes 4 slams to pop a heavy vehicle now. SLAMs are good for triggering the 15s or for trapping light vehicle routes, rooftops to piss off skyspergs that hover close and ambushing tanks in tandem with a rocket launcher. The sewer lids are the better option for proper armor popping now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Someone tell me a good way to use mines because I need 25 kills for the premium assignment. Is it better to just lay them down somewhere on the map or directly charge tanks and drop them right behind them?

Get a buddy with an ammo box, and camp outside an enemy uncap, throwing mines and slams on the roads exiting the base. Zavod in particular works great for this around A. Shanghai is great too, just throw 4 slams on the bottom of the roof at A and watch people drive into them over and over.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

TheRationalRedditor posted:

That's exactly what the Deagle is for, what part of 2 quick chest hits to death at <15m is not appealing in an ammo emergency
"Quick" and "multiple hits" just don't work for me with the Deagle. When I swap to my sidearm I'm usually dead anyway and all I can do is just spamfire in the split second before I die, and the Deagle only works if you can actually aim worth a drat which requires more deliberation and precision than I'm capable of in that situation.

If it works for you then great, that's just how I feel about it. Currently I've got a P226 and I'll stick with that til I five-star it (which'll be a while since, again, I mostly use as a last-ditch backup) and then back to the FiveseveN.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Someone tell me a good way to use mines because I need 25 kills for the premium assignment. Is it better to just lay them down somewhere on the map or directly charge tanks and drop them right behind them?
Always use at least three, close together enough where if one goes off it'll set the rest off too. Keep an eye out for ground clutter in a high-traffic area, anything that can hide them. Zavod has chunky mud scattered on the roads around F and B where the big round ones will blend in alright. Craters from blown-up tanks or grass and bushes in the middle of a road can work alright too. If you use SLAMs like normal tank mines they aren't as powerful as the other kind, but they're more versatile. Also you can use them to stick to vehicles like C4, but you need to use three of them and they'll blow automatically a couple seconds after the vehicle starts to move. As with C4, try not to get noticed and don't get run over. You can even stick them to vertical surfaces like a bus on Dawnbreaker but keep in mind they don't have much blast range, so you'll need to put them in a place where a vehicle will likely be very close by when it passes.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 26, 2015

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Friar Zucchini posted:

"Quick" and "multiple hits" just don't work for me with the Deagle. When I swap to my sidearm I'm usually dead anyway and all I can do is just spamfire in the split second before I die, and the Deagle only works if you can actually aim worth a drat which requires more deliberation and precision than I'm capable of in that situation.

If it works for you then great, that's just how I feel about it. Currently I've got a P226 and I'll stick with that til I five-star it (which'll be a while since, again, I mostly use as a last-ditch backup) and then back to the FiveseveN.
Always use at least three, close together enough where if one goes off it'll set the rest off too. Keep an eye out for ground clutter in a high-traffic area, anything that can hide them. Zavod has chunky mud scattered on the roads around F and B where the big round ones will blend in alright. Craters from blown-up tanks or grass and bushes in the middle of a road can work alright too. If you use SLAMs like normal tank mines they aren't as powerful as the other kind, but they're more versatile. Also you can use them to stick to vehicles like C4, but you need to use three of them and they'll blow automatically a couple seconds after the vehicle starts to move. As with C4, try not to get noticed and don't get run over. You can even stick them to vertical surfaces like a bus on Dawnbreaker but keep in mind they don't have much blast range, so you'll need to put them in a place where a vehicle will likely be very close by when it passes.

Don't use 3 sewer lids, 2 will secure a kill almost every time and gives you wider coverage. Jesus, if this thread's going to keep thinking it's 6 patches ago I'll put a video together later with some mine rear end in a top hat kit antics or something.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Nebiros posted:

Don't use 3 sewer lids, 2 will secure a kill almost every time and gives you wider coverage.
I prefer a more reliable kill. If I spread three across a road, it's a bigger target for the tank to run over and it's more likely to blow up than just a mobility-kill, especially if they're off-center in the road and don't get the full blast.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

Friar Zucchini posted:

That is because the degal has 2deg vert recoil 0.35 left and right and a 0.5 spread per shot on top of a .35 initial spread. It takes all of the worst traits from revolvers and semiautos and combines them. With only its high damage model to make it "better". Anything that you do with a deagle is better done with a revolver or semiauto.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Friar Zucchini posted:

It does work repeatedly and very well so you should just practice

Any of the non-garbage pistols (57) work very well in emergencies as long as you know their purpose. My favorite sidearm in BF3 was the G17C which no one else used. I have a ton of kills with it from all ranges, I never ADS

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 26, 2015

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Friar Zucchini posted:

I prefer a more reliable kill. If I spread three across a road, it's a bigger target for the tank to run over and it's more likely to blow up than just a mobility-kill, especially if they're off-center in the road and don't get the full blast.

You wouldn't have this problem if you didn't place them side by side. They have about the same blast radius as C4 and can set themselves off.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

...aaaaaand then there's the GOL Magnum with an 8x and canted iron sights. Pretty much the most verstaile gun in the game: if you can see him, you can kill him. 21/7 on Caspian just chillin on C and swapping between defending my own turf and poppin skulls on top of the cliff on D.

I wonder how much worse I woulda done if I was sober.

TBH I'm gonna take a break from assault and engineer since I just got the 50-hours-in-class dog tag for Assault and Engineer, and got the Recon one right before that game so I'm just gonna spam ammo til I get the Support tag.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 27, 2015

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

TheRationalRedditor posted:

It does work repeatedly and very well so you should just practice

Any of the non-garbage pistols (57) work very well in emergencies as long as you know their purpose. My favorite sidearm in BF3 was the G17C which no one else used. I have a ton of kills with it from all ranges, I never ADS

Hey 5C bro, best hipfire all day.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Friar Zucchini posted:

...aaaaaand then there's the GOL Magnum with an 8x and canted iron sights. Pretty much the most verstaile gun in the game: if you can see him, you can kill him. 21/7 on Caspian just chillin on C and swapping between defending my own turf and poppin skulls on top of the cliff on D.

I wonder how much worse I woulda done if I was sober.

TBH I'm gonna take a break from assault and engineer since I just got the 50-hours-in-class dog tag for Assault and Engineer, and got the Recon one right before that game so I'm just gonna spam ammo til I get the Support tag.

If you use anything higher than a 4x on any sniper rifle you're a big time scrublord, hth

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Using a Sniper Rifle at all is a bad choice the majority of the time because DMRs and the U-100 mk5 exist.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I think you're wrong, but then I only play hardcore. DMR is spray and pray personified

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I use an SVD with iron sights more than any other weapon and I kick rear end with it.

I feel weird because I put next to no thought into any of my weapons/load outs. I just use the weapons and combinations that I think work well/seem cool. I don't know a thing about any of the meta stats and poo poo. But I have an overall KDR of 2.0 so I'm doing something right. I always play 64 player large conquest maps.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 27, 2015

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I'd have a higher KD but whenever I five-star any weapon I figure I'm done with it and there's no need to use it anymore, so pretty much that's my goal in the game is to get 500 kills with whatever weapons I presently feel like abusing, at which point I switch to something else.

...have I mentioned being an achievement whore? I think I've posted that phrase like five time so far

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I wouldn't say I'm an achievement whore but I really enjoy learning new guns enough to at least get a couple stars.

Kintamarama
Oct 3, 2013

Gridlocked posted:

I recently picked this up again cause bordem. Any Aus Goons still playing?

I set up a platoon, called "ANZ Goons" a while ago. Noone has really been active lately, but if you apply, I'll accept you the next time I'm on.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
I did the 500 kills with all primaries for BF3, but some of the weapons in BF4 are just ridiculously bad that even I can't be bothered to put myself through that, and there aren't even the Close Quarters maps... so... meh. drat I enjoyed the CQ maps in BF3.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Friar Zucchini posted:

Conversely, spreading them out makes them more visible. I always pack my mines on a single point to minimize the odds of the armor pilot seeing them.

That's also the one thing SLAMs still have over AT mines. Armor trains itself to look for explosives on the ground; stick them on the backside of a sign alongside the road or something, and the odds of them thinking to look there are slim to none.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

I did the 500 kills with all primaries for BF3, but some of the weapons in BF4 are just ridiculously bad that even I can't be bothered to put myself through that, and there aren't even the Close Quarters maps... so... meh. drat I enjoyed the CQ maps in BF3.

Wouldn't a 24/7 dragon's teeth server work well enough?

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

You mean Pearl Market? Even that's a little too spread out. I used to play a 24/7 48p Squad Deathmatch CQ server a lot. That was fun.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

You mean Pearl Market? Even that's a little too spread out. I used to play a 24/7 48p Squad Deathmatch CQ server a lot. That was fun.

Close quarters was my second favorite pack in bf3. Rocking 56/12 games with the g3 never got old. Aftermath was my favorite. And gently caress ever having to play wake island again.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Ive played this game nonstop for 2 months but I still cant figure out how the server browser works. I swear it doesn't give any logical results, no matter how you refine it. Thankfully I just have a few servers I switch between depending on whether they are full. But I'd really like to find a decent Rush server, I've yet to partake.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Ive played this game nonstop for 2 months but I still cant figure out how the server browser works. I swear it doesn't give any logical results, no matter how you refine it. Thankfully I just have a few servers I switch between depending on whether they are full. But I'd really like to find a decent Rush server, I've yet to partake.

Open slots: 1-5
Top 5 results: 64/64(25)

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Apart from Pearl Market I think they're not so much close-quarters as much as they are just smaller than normal with fewer vehicles. Distances are still pretty similar except there's no room for 40x sniping is all.

Wasabi the J posted:

Open slots: 1-5
Top 5 results: 64/64(25)
Or what I found after the patch, 59/64 (9)

...and I'm totally serious about that. Getting into games was such a pain in the rear end for some reason.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
So is my Type 88 LMG with bipod / silencer meant to be a better DMR than my DMR? Because it sure seems that way.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ak Gara posted:

So is my Type 88 LMG with bipod / silencer meant to be a better DMR than my DMR? Because it sure seems that way.

A bipod can turn any weapon into a DMR.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
afaik there is no Project Reality thread or community on SA (please correct me if i'm wrong) but since this thread is the closest applicable place to post about it (apart from making an imp zone thread or whatever), i was wondering if anyone was interested in playing and making a squad together or whatever.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Kibayasu posted:

A bipod can turn any weapon into a DMR.

Even a knife? :v:

Really though, it seems my DMR has more spread than my LMG, and I'm growing to hate spread. At least with recoil you know if your x is over something, that's where it's gonna shoot, but with spread, even if you're dead on, it could end up anywhere. Good if you wanna spray and pray, but not if you're trying to hit a small target hiding behind something.

[edit] Spread is unreliable.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
LMGs will generate spread slower than DMRs, but DMRs recover their spread quickly if you're not firing at their full cyclic rate.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Ak Gara posted:

Even a knife? :v:

Really though, it seems my DMR has more spread than my LMG, and I'm growing to hate spread. At least with recoil you know if your x is over something, that's where it's gonna shoot, but with spread, even if you're dead on, it could end up anywhere. Good if you wanna spray and pray, but not if you're trying to hit a small target hiding behind something.

[edit] Spread is unreliable.

It's there to encourage skillful recoil management while bursting. Yeah it's not cs levels of recoil control but if you think about it, its a lot more realistic while being more accessible and fun than countetstrike.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Love Stole the Day posted:

afaik there is no Project Reality thread or community on SA (please correct me if i'm wrong) but since this thread is the closest applicable place to post about it (apart from making an imp zone thread or whatever), i was wondering if anyone was interested in playing and making a squad together or whatever.

There's a squad thread, you might get more luck there.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Don't forget to get on mumble, I see people playing alone in different servers fairly often; hop on mumble and play with your goon buddies instead. Or even goon assholes.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Chronojam posted:

Don't forget to get on mumble, I see people playing alone in different servers fairly often; hop on mumble and play with your goon buddies instead. Or even goon assholes.

They're not assholes when you play with them, right? :haw:

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

Wibla posted:

They're not assholes when you play with them, right? :haw:

Define rear end in a top hat....

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Are there people using the default controls for Jets/Helicopters? I thought using a controller would make it easier but it actually made it worse, the mouse and keyboard seems easier. I messed around with it for a while but couldn't come up with something comfortable. Any suggestions from pro pilots?

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Cue ten people telling you to bind pitch up to your space bar.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cue ten people telling you to bind pitch up to your space bar.

Or whatever button works best. It won't automatically make you into a pro because being that good is all about perfect speed and pitch/yaw control but it's a hell of a lot more comfortable than trying to gently caress with using the mouse for everything.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I just bound a pair of pitch keys to my side mouse buttons. Works for me against all but the top pilots out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Is there some kind of goofiness with Night Operations or w/e? I installed it and FInal Stand last night so I can have the Full Battlefield Experience but it won't let me play on any server which host NIghtOps.

Keeps telling me to download it but I did and I'd rather not download all of B4 and it's expansions again.

• Locked thread