Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
We're a bit underpowered in the beard department.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

www posted:

high possibility of Scotland, Wales and Ireland getting to the quarter-finals and England going out. Im okay with that.

As an Englishman, this would be sad, but hilarious.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

If we play like we did in the second half then we'll beat RSA and Samoa.
If we play like the first half well loose by fifty points to both.

Hope Russell isn't dead.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It looked completely innocuous, but they pretty much carried him off the pitch. Probably some connective or another.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Romania have interesting kits.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

goatface posted:

Romania have interesting kits.

The home shirts looked like they all had cocks on the back.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
Now that's loving rugby!

edit: gently caress

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Try of the tournament so far

edit: never mind, juuuust in touch :( :(

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Zebo should have gone for that himself....

e: its good! :getin:

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
That's the shtuff lads

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

www posted:

high possibility of Scotland, Wales and Ireland getting to the quarter-finals and England going out. Im okay with that.

QFT! It's good to have a dream.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
Zebo reminds me of Jason Robinson, quality jinks and running skills.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

tentish klown posted:

Zebo reminds me of Jason Robinson, quality jinks and running skills.

Have you seen the try against Wales, where he backheels the ball into his own hands, to avoid knocking it on? He's one of the most talented footballers in the home nations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=046s-F6OiFQ

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tyma posted:

Have you seen the try against Wales, where he backheels the ball into his own hands, to avoid knocking it on? He's one of the most talented footballers in the home nations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=046s-F6OiFQ

gently caress that was back in 2013 :pwn:

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
'Tis a pity that Zebo is such a sleazy man whore.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

rejutka posted:

'Tis a pity that Zebo is such a sleazy man whore.

Yes, this is an unfortunate side-effect of being talented at rugby. It's called The Cooper Effect.

I made a graph to help illustrate it.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
Whenever I want to feel inadequate I remember I went to school for a couple years with Rob Kearney. He was a shithead.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Aww, hit it with his hands and not his face.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They are throwing some shithouse passes. Should check some more of them for concussion

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
But you were right there ref gently caress's sake.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
Get the gently caress out what the gently caress was that

Edit :argh:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I thought he was legal seeing it live.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Tommy Bowe's 30th international try. Good on him.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Jesus, that was a good try.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I had not realised that de Villiers was retiring. I suppose a broken jaw at his age will just keep him out for too long.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Rugby doesn't work as a game and is practically unrefereeable without resorting to NFL style video feedback and stoppages.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Rugby doesn't work as a game and is practically unrefereeable without resorting to NFL style video feedback and stoppages.

Let's not get crazy here.

If rugby starts using those kinds of things I am switching to watching only NRL.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Apollodorus posted:

If rugby starts using those kinds of things I am switching to watching only NRL.

I'm not advocating that, it would bog the games down even further than they already are. It's just the only way you could properly referee a match given the complexity of the rules.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Ratios and Tendency posted:

There's really no noticeable difference in the outcome of decisions between the big international games, and the lovely Pro 12 games being played in-front of 300 people with no TMOs or video screens. I think the technology being there just makes people feel obliged to use it, and referees at the World Cup are trying really hard to prove they're doing everything by the book, so that they can impress the selection commitee who decide on referees for the knockout stages of the tournament.

When there isn't a TMO on-hand for the game, the vast, vast majority of decisions in professional matches are proven to be correct when they're replayed on TV, and removing "TMO Time" from the game doesn't make the match noticeably quicker, because there are still a gently caress-ton of stoppages for scrums restarting, and people falling over with cramp during winter matches.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Apollodorus posted:

Mate, the NRL are taking it to a whole new level. They're introducing, starting next season, a TMO bunker that will provide expert TMO services to all the games centrally.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Tyma posted:

There's really no noticeable difference in the outcome of decisions between the big international games, and the lovely Pro 12 games being played in-front of 300 people with no TMOs or video screens. I think the technology being there just makes people feel obliged to use it, and referees at the World Cup are trying really hard to prove they're doing everything by the book, so that they can impress the selection commitee who decide on referees for the knockout stages of the tournament.

When there isn't a TMO on-hand for the game, the vast, vast majority of decisions in professional matches are proven to be correct when they're replayed on TV, and removing "TMO Time" from the game doesn't make the match noticeably quicker, because there are still a gently caress-ton of stoppages for scrums restarting, and people falling over with cramp during winter matches.

At the same time, since around the 1995 RWC, there have also been referee gently caress-ups that could have dramatically altered the course of the tournament in the odd match*. It's not the TMO that's the issue, it's the implementation of said technology - i.e., it's the human part that's failing, not the TMO concept itself, and screaming about how it's "ruining games" and whatnot is basically throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

1995 - Semifinal between South Africa and France, where the Moroccan-born French lock Abdelatif Benazzi scored what may have been a try, only to see it denied. It, at the very least, warranted a look by the TMO.
1999 - Quarter-final qualifier between France and Fiji, where Paddy O'Brien made a parade of errors that arguably cost Fiji the game and a spot in the play-offs.
2007 - The second half of that quarterfinal in Cardiff.
2011 - Heavier TMO involvement likely would quiet the criticisms of Craig Joubert's officiating in the final, although comparisons to Barnes' officiating in Cardiff 4 years prior is well overblown.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

What was the match where Robshaw made a bad decision in regards to a penalty in the dying minutes?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Mister Chief posted:

What was the match where Robshaw made a bad decision in regards to a penalty in the dying minutes?

The last one, against Wales. England had a penalty close to touch with a couple of minutes left and could have tied at 28. Instead Robshaw went for a lineout and the rest is history.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Well I know that one. It was the last year or the year before.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

Mister Chief posted:

Well I know that one. It was the last year or the year before.

The one that's being talked in the press about is the 2012 South Africa game. With two minutes left England kicked the penalty to go a point down, then hosed up the restart and plain lost.

I do think the Wales game was different just because the penalty would have put them level, mind.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

It was in 12 in two matches. First against Australia he went for the corner instead of tacking the points and was criticised for it. The next week against South Africa they were four points down in the 78th min and he went for the posts, they then messed up the restart and ran out of time to score again.

Heid the Ball
Nov 2, 2005
Gordon's ALIVE?!?!?
Gilchrist ruled out of the tournament with a groin injury.

Guy is so unlucky, if he fell into a barrel of tits he'd come up sucking his thumb.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

I don't have a problem with Robshaw going for the win. The lineout execution was terrible and we had no midfield throughout the game anyway

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Has anyone taken on the daunting task of working out what/how many possibilities Wales have to qualify, and England have to get knocked out? There's so many damned variances of points earned in each game that I just can't be bothered, frankly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Wales beat Fiji

Australia beat England

This is the most likely scenario. This also puts me in the odd scenario of being a kiwi and wanting Australia to win