Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

calandryll posted:

Played on the Flyers ice on Friday evening. It was great, ice was beautiful but man if the puck didn't die off the boards. It was also a bit odd to hear no sound when the puck bounces off the bottom of the boards.

They had a cutout of the Pope since he was coming to town the next day. Did a bit of shopping to add him to the bench. Of course he'd play for the light team:

I'm the one in the green pants up near the glass. The other Main borrowed my jersey since he forgot his.

Edit: Better picture of the Pope cutout.

Did you throw batteries at it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

D C posted:

Did you throw batteries at it?

I think snowballs are reserved for Santa and other religious-y figures. The Phanatic does not discriminate so he was there to dump popcorn on el Popa.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Has your team ever had any trouble with El Pirates? We just came off of a 7-5 loss with them but holy poo poo was it a penalty fest that may have gotten two of their players suspended or booted from the league. One of their guys tossed his gear and started throwing punches at one of our guys for a trip, then whoever #17 is on EP decided to repeatedly slash our goalie's glove hand (after it'd already been stepped on). Same guy decided to drop his stick and take a run straight at me in the last minute of the game.

I wasn't involved in any of the shenanigans and was actually pleasant with them for the entire game. So what the gently caress ever.

Never really had anything too major with them. I think the hot head on our team got a roughing penalty with them but wasn't really a fight or anything. One of the players on our team has a cousin on theirs that we've played rat with a couple times so we're mostly amicable. The only teams we really had big fights with were mcnasty and men of mayhem. We had a sub goalie against men of mayhem that got ejected because they kept slashing his face last season.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dude in our game yesterday got a cut on his ankle during play, was on the inside of his leg just above the boot. Had to have been a skate because it was a clean cut and he didn't feel it until someone noticed a puddle of blood and everyone was trying to figure out where it came from.

Lesson learned, suck it up and wear cut resistant socks.

Refs were hilarious. I figured USA Hockey would have some kind of procedure for dealing with blood on the ice, even if it's just calling the rink crew in to fix it. But these two guys were having none of it, they just stood there BSing with each other and if anyone asked them for advice all we got was a shrug.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Some dildo in a division bad game before ours got pissed at something that happened in a beer league game and smacked the glass behind the bench with his stick. Glass shattered, got all over the bench and the area behind. We had to sit in broken glass during our game.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

bewbies posted:

Some dildo in a division bad game before ours got pissed at something that happened in a beer league game and smacked the glass behind the bench with his stick. Glass shattered, got all over the bench and the area behind. We had to sit in broken glass during our game.

Try playing at a shittier rink that has a brick wall instead of glass! Problem solved.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

xzzy posted:

These are a little spendy but honestly are more comfortable than any non-cut resistant skate sock I've worn http://www.swiftwick.com/cut-resistant-hockey-sock-11820-prd1.htm
I guess they just protect over the tendons though, so might not have helped the dude in your game.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've been waring tuff 'n lites the past few months. Also expensive (but a few dollars cheaper than the ones you linked) but good reviews.. the material doesn't degrade in the wash like kevlar solutions do. The coverage extends past the ankle.

I've never worn socks that go up to my knee and it does feel weird but once I'm on the ice I don't notice it.

They even sell patches of the material if you want to go full on sperg and sew it into your hockey pads/attire.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

My shin guard rubbed against my boot and gave me an owwie above my ankle would these help please advise

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No you need reconstructive surgery for that, six months rehab. Sorry.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

sellouts posted:

My shin guard rubbed against my boot and gave me an owwie above my ankle would these help please advise

Wear socks

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

xzzy posted:

Dude in our game yesterday got a cut on his ankle during play, was on the inside of his leg just above the boot. Had to have been a skate because it was a clean cut and he didn't feel it until someone noticed a puddle of blood and everyone was trying to figure out where it came from.

I got stomped on in a game on purpose and didn't know his skate cut me until my skate filled up with blood.

"Why is my foot so wet?"

Soal_Fish
Jul 20, 2004

yes its Soal not Soul but oh well
My beginner team got spanked 18-1 a couple days ago. Good times :thumbsup:

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

Pleads posted:

Wear socks

I think it's weird that y'all wear socks at all, but more that there are so many blood letting cuts from skates.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

bewbies posted:

We had this happen last season except it was the corner glass. Nice job super try hard guy who got gloved by the goalie and flipped his lid because he didn't score, now we get to have a half hour delay in the middle of a 10pm game while the rink guy attempts to hunt down a piece that will fit and is tall enough to fit the height of the corner/end glass. On the plus side he at least felt like a mega douche for doing it and played a more subdued game than usual. We even tried to convince the ref to give him a penalty for it but the ref wouldn't do it saying that the guy felt like such a complete jackass that that was enough of a punishment. I say it should have at least been a delay of game if not an unsportsmanlike conduct to make him feel even worse.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

drizzle posted:

Never really had anything too major with them. I think the hot head on our team got a roughing penalty with them but wasn't really a fight or anything. One of the players on our team has a cousin on theirs that we've played rat with a couple times so we're mostly amicable. The only teams we really had big fights with were mcnasty and men of mayhem. We had a sub goalie against men of mayhem that got ejected because they kept slashing his face last season.

Naming a hockey team men of mayhem indicates the douche meter is turned up to 11, IMO.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

bigbillystyle posted:

We had this happen last season except it was the corner glass. Nice job super try hard guy who got gloved by the goalie and flipped his lid because he didn't score, now we get to have a half hour delay in the middle of a 10pm game while the rink guy attempts to hunt down a piece that will fit and is tall enough to fit the height of the corner/end glass. On the plus side he at least felt like a mega douche for doing it and played a more subdued game than usual. We even tried to convince the ref to give him a penalty for it but the ref wouldn't do it saying that the guy felt like such a complete jackass that that was enough of a punishment. I say it should have at least been a delay of game if not an unsportsmanlike conduct to make him feel even worse.

That ref seems cool af fyi

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Got drafted in the gshl for the Greasy Weasels in division 4.

Really looking forward to the start of the season. God I need to get into shape though. I did ladder drills in my garage for shits and giggles and could feel a lot of stuff jiggling that never previously jiggled before. A few months off the ice has taken quite a toll.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
More fallout from our mini-thunderdome game on Sunday night. Followed by a 9-3 spanking of a loss because we couldn't work together.

The guy who got the fighting major got three games. After taking a shower and clearing his head he realized he was being a dumbass and came around to apologize to a bunch of people.

On the other hand, #17 doesn't seem to know when to quit...or even have a head on his shoulders. The guy apparently decided to drink with a teammate in the parking lot after the game and wait to try to pounce on our goalie for, "being a bitch" and faking being hurt. This wasn't a smart move because the kid had is entire family with him and one of our other guys went with him to help carry stuff. It apparently devolved into him trying to fight our goalie, then shoving our goalie's dad and making threats at the mom and girlfriend before his teammate dragged him away telling him he was being a moron.

Kid was supposed to be our permanent goalie and the whole incident convinced him to just quit outright. Nobody on our team blames him for it, the whole thing was bush league. All the league director told us after the meeting was, "there will be consequences for El Pirates."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fine group of guys you discovered there.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

YeehawMcKickass posted:

More fallout from our mini-thunderdome game on Sunday night. Followed by a 9-3 spanking of a loss because we couldn't work together.

The guy who got the fighting major got three games. After taking a shower and clearing his head he realized he was being a dumbass and came around to apologize to a bunch of people.

On the other hand, #17 doesn't seem to know when to quit...or even have a head on his shoulders. The guy apparently decided to drink with a teammate in the parking lot after the game and wait to try to pounce on our goalie for, "being a bitch" and faking being hurt. This wasn't a smart move because the kid had is entire family with him and one of our other guys went with him to help carry stuff. It apparently devolved into him trying to fight our goalie, then shoving our goalie's dad and making threats at the mom and girlfriend before his teammate dragged him away telling him he was being a moron.

Kid was supposed to be our permanent goalie and the whole incident convinced him to just quit outright. Nobody on our team blames him for it, the whole thing was bush league. All the league director told us after the meeting was, "there will be consequences for El Pirates."

poo poo how old is your goalie? That's hosed up that he feels like he has to quit on the spot. You should kick that dude off the team and get your goalie back.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Verman posted:

Got drafted in the gshl for the Greasy Weasels in division 4.

Really looking forward to the start of the season. God I need to get into shape though. I did ladder drills in my garage for shits and giggles and could feel a lot of stuff jiggling that never previously jiggled before. A few months off the ice has taken quite a toll.

Nice - can't wait for the season to start! I'll be slumming it up on a new team a few divisions below you for this season. :toot:

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Vargatron posted:

poo poo how old is your goalie? That's hosed up that he feels like he has to quit on the spot. You should kick that dude off the team and get your goalie back.

He seemed like he was no more than 20. From talking to him in the locker room after the game, he was a really good dude. Was on track to make the minor leagues as a first baseman before he tore his acl.

The dude causing all the other poo poo is on a different team. If I had to make a wild guess, he's about to get a ban from the facility.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Which rink? You still playing beer league at Canlan?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Man, I may play in Thunderdome, but at least it stays on the ice. Yowza!

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Hey LA hockey goons, I just moved to the area. I was nearby before (IE) but went to a completely different set of rinks, mainly KHS. I'm a total newbie but want to jump back in since life is starting to settle down again after a few months mayhem from a new job and moving. I'm now looking for a few options on where to pick up skating and doing stick time again before ultimately joining a beginner league in a few months.

I live in Los Feliz and work in Burbank. How's the LA Kings ice in the valley? Or Pasadena? Lakewood or Torrance may be options on the weekend but traffic probably prevents me from making it there after work. Any other options?

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

Which rink? You still playing beer league at Canlan?

Yeah, Canlan. It was the last game of the night on Rink 2.

HZ: This poo poo is why I'm so flabbergasted. I mean there's teams named McNasty Hockey and Men of Mayhem in this league (both known for playing rough) and THEY responded with a solid WTF when they heard.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah I've heard the house league down there can get a bit nasty but assaulting people in the parking lot is a whole new level.

Don't get me wrong, every rink has its shithead skaters, but Canlan has a "reputation". :v:

I'm cool with my rink. My team is "not good" but everyone is having fun and the community is pretty stable so everyone has friends on every other team. Even the refs will shoot the poo poo with us.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
You can call the Redwood City rink a dump, but at least the only noteworthy parking lot encounter I've ever heard of there is the one time a friend of mine ran into Michelle Pfeiffer.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Yeah this beginner league is pretty good

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
It must be the moon or some poo poo. We added a new guy to the team and he spent the entire game talking poo poo and trying to start poo poo. He took a shot, which the goalie kept and play was blown dead, he proceeds to knock it from under the glove into the goal and starts celebrating. Which ends up him yelling at the ref. And to top it off he sits there the entire game yelling for fresh legs at 20 seconds. It's freakin' beer league dude.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Pinky Artichoke posted:

You can call the Redwood City rink a dump, but at least the only noteworthy parking lot encounter I've ever heard of there is the one time a friend of mine ran into Michelle Pfeiffer.

"...ran into Michelle Pfeiffer" or "...took a run at Michelle Pfeiffer"? :v:

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Nitramster posted:

That ref seems cool af fyi

Yeah most of our refs are fine. I just don't like the kid who broke the glass. He whines to the ref after every play even if nobody was near him which really aggravates me. Just play, if the penalty is that bad they usually call it, no need to whine and bitch because you got shoved or had your stick slashed away from the play.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

You guys just don't get it. It's life or death once you step on the ice in beer league at 10pm on a Wednesday night, after the kids birthday parties end.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Teeter posted:

Hey LA hockey goons, I just moved to the area. I was nearby before (IE) but went to a completely different set of rinks, mainly KHS. I'm a total newbie but want to jump back in since life is starting to settle down again after a few months mayhem from a new job and moving. I'm now looking for a few options on where to pick up skating and doing stick time again before ultimately joining a beginner league in a few months.

I live in Los Feliz and work in Burbank. How's the LA Kings ice in the valley? Or Pasadena? Lakewood or Torrance may be options on the weekend but traffic probably prevents me from making it there after work. Any other options?

Hi Your closest rink is Burbank (pick wick). Pasadena is close too.

The best beginner league I know of is in Torrance and that's where a bunch of us play. Nitramstr and Ace Thomas play in aluminum there and it's for a lot of beginners. Places like Toyota Sports Center don't really have a true beginner league like they do. Games are Sunday. Also Torrance does a good job of placing you on a team if you don't know anyone.

Are you available Tuesday nights? They run a pickup at Torrance at like 950pm that was made by a bunch of learn to plays. Good group. Take the 110 exit sepulveda, make a right then a left at western and you're basically there.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Is like half this thread from California?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Only the ones who have a moral objection to socks.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

shyduck posted:

Is like half this thread from California?

Hockey hotbed!

*can't find a loving hockey stick for 20 miles*

Stupid America. In Canada I could walk into a Tim Horton's and borrow one somebody undoubtedly has just sitting in their car.

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.

Pleads posted:

Stupid America. In Canada I could walk into a Tim Horton's and borrow one somebody undoubtedly has just sitting in their car.

is this a pretty slick ryan o'reilly reference because if so i like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
my loving helmet exploded last night, are there any good deals on helmets now? cheaper is better.

is this one legal?