Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Gabriel Pope posted:

Yeah, it's not like we want to do any scumhunting or anything :rolleyes:

##vote biaga

this is a weird insinuation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Although saying it's nothing but joke posts is kind of asking for trouble. Gotta get what information you can, because afaik no lunch is pretty crap a lot of the time.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Kashuno posted:

this is a weird insinuation

I thought it was just a sarcastic dig on biaga?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kumbamontu posted:

a reverse death miller is a scum who flips Vanilla Town when they die

This sounds weird as hell, has anyone used these in a SA game? Curious how they work out in practice.

Biaga posted:

If I was serious about calling you a scum I would have voted. I know nothing about you, besides the few brief posts in this game so far, and all your posts of which are pretty much feeler posts and fluff to get the thread going.

:shobon: That's kind of what d1 is all about, fluff and getting initial reads on people.

Also Emoji Mafia was fun but suffered from too much lurking. Don't lurk in this game!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Green Intern posted:

Although saying it's nothing but joke posts is kind of asking for trouble. Gotta get what information you can, because afaik no lunch is pretty crap a lot of the time.

Bingo. I'm especially suspicious when people dance around making semi-serious posts and then fall back on this when someone calls them out. "Oh it's just D1 it's all jokeposting haha."

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009

Kumbamontu posted:

that other game you were in, emoji mafia, didn't even have that long of a jokephase considering I just read it in like 3 minutes

is this your first scum game? be honest. you can tell me.

If I say yes, you will think I am a scum. if I say no you will still think I am scum.

Either way, I think your mind is made.

Vote if your so confident.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Biaga posted:

day 1 is nothing but jokeposting as far as I can tell.

Being my second game I know a lot about mafia.

Hey second game bro. Let me tell you about my second game:
D1 I joke voted somebody and caught serious flack for it immediately. D1 can turn serious quick.

NB: the person I joke voted was actual scum who ended up lynching me later to win the game. :arghfist:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Nth Doctor posted:

Hey second game bro. Let me tell you about my second game:

Also, that second game ended 8 days ago. :shobon:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Biaga posted:

If I say yes, you will think I am a scum. if I say no you will still think I am scum.

I am probing for reactions, nothing is set in stone! For instance, I think this reaction of yours is on the town spectrum of reactions. Scum are typically, psychologically speaking, prone to self-consciousness, and thus when posed with the question of "Are you scum?" they are more likely to answer with very short responses like a simple no. Your answer seemed to exhibit actual thought, though shallow (which is fine - the question couldn't get any shallower), which is more likely to come from a member of the town, in my opinion.

yeah that's right, D1 psuedo-effort post WHAT

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kumbamontu posted:

I am probing for reactions, nothing is set in stone! For instance, I think this reaction of yours is on the town spectrum of reactions. Scum are typically, psychologically speaking, prone to self-consciousness, and thus when posed with the question of "Are you scum?" they are more likely to answer with very short responses like a simple no. Your answer seemed to exhibit actual thought, though shallow (which is fine - the question couldn't get any shallower), which is more likely to come from a member of the town, in my opinion.

yeah that's right, D1 psuedo-effort post WHAT

FWIW speaking from a newbie point of view, breaking down the reasoning for your d1 tactics is cool & good. Educational!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Kumbamontu going for extra wizard-credit.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
hi my name is hermione

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kumbamontu posted:

I disagree:

Biaga posted:

is way too defeatist. Newbie scum really, really hate being called out and get frustrated very quickly. One early vote and one nonvoting cast of suspicion should not be enough to throw your hands in the air and give up--and for town players it usually isn't.

Biaga, if you're not scum the best way to prove it is by making useful scumhunting contributions, not just jokeposting. Stir things up, poke at people, get some reactions, do work son.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I think a defeatist attitude is something a lot of newbies (and, hell, non-newbies too) fall into regardless of alignment

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Biaga posted:

Kumbamontu posted:

I think a defeatist attitude is something a lot of newbies (and, hell, non-newbies too) fall into regardless of alignment

I disagree

##vote Biaga

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

I disagree

##vote Biaga

This is an opportunistic vote.

##vote Kash

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TMMadman posted:

##vote Kash

nah

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

TMMadman posted:

##vote Kash

pot, kettle

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kumbamontu posted:

Scum are typically, psychologically speaking, prone to self-consciousness, and thus when posed with the question of "Are you scum?" they are more likely to answer with very short responses like a simple no.

:crossarms:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kumbamontu posted:

pot, kettle

Except I was already on Kash.

His vote for Biaga is garbage.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

nah

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TMMadman posted:

Except I was already on Kash.

His vote for Biaga is garbage.

Why? Biaga answered Kumba's question with a non-answer, rather than a denial. His response is not useful, and is dodging the question. In addition, taunting a vote like that seems very scummy to me. It's a small case, but it's something for now.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

As a new player myself, I think I can get how Biaga might be feeling caught out so early in the game if he is scum. The grumbling non answer feels like a "poo poo they know" to me, but that's only gut feeling. I'll be on my laptop when I get home (leaving work in a little bit).

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

On the flip side, a new town player could also reasonably feel like they just shot themself in the foot. It still strikes me like a vaguely scum response.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
Hello I am dog (wizard)

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

I think we have biga fish to fry

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Tommunist posted:

I think we have biga fish to fry

while I appreciate a bad pun as much as the next guy, i'd rather hear your thoughts about the game! what do you think so far?

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Kumbamontu posted:

while I appreciate a bad pun as much as the next guy, i'd rather hear your thoughts about the game! what do you think so far?

While I'd love to Break the mostly so far joke phrase down Its currently 6:41 am and I don't think anything more then bad puns is going to happen until I'm out of bed and coffee'd (gimme a hour)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Just keeping this in mind when we get down to deadlines. There are in fact pretty serious timezone differences in play!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
just noticed the deadline is 11:15PM. How weird.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Confirming that there was a lot of posts while I was asleep dang

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Oh, good news. I mixed up some dates in my head. The weekend where I'm more seriously limited in time is October 16-18. Still busy the weekend before that but not as much. Mistakes in good faith!

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Podima posted:

This sounds weird as hell, has anyone used these in a SA game? Curious how they work out in practice.

They sound kind of cheaty. Like, Gygax-DM level poo poo.

"Haha! That person flipped vanilla town but they were actually scum! I denied you the only information you have to make decisions based on! I'm so clever!! :d:"

Of course, I'm a relative newb who hasn't played in a couple of years, so what do I know?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kashuno posted:

just noticed the deadline is 11:15PM. How weird.

:sun: foo sets the deadline when foo is available to work the deadline, it often changes from gameday to gameday, pay attention :sun:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Hermetic posted:

They sound kind of cheaty. Like, Gygax-DM level poo poo.

"Haha! That person flipped vanilla town but they were actually scum! I denied you the only information you have to make decisions based on! I'm so clever!! :d:"

Of course, I'm a relative newb who hasn't played in a couple of years, so what do I know?

That is the viewpoint most people have on reverse death millers.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Death Millers and Reverse Death Millers are typically limited to Role Madness or other games where craziness is expected. You will generally see a disclaimer in the OP of these games along the lines of "There are bastard roles in this game. If you don't enjoy whacky mechanics where a mod may or may not be lying to you, don't sign up" or something along those lines.

I've personally never been in a game with either flavor of death miller (that I can remember anyway) and I am glad of that because it sounds awful. Mod communication should always be truth unless the explicit purpose behind the game is to get the players to try and figure out what is a lie and what isn't. Could be fun I guess but I think it'd be hard to pull off.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Green Intern posted:

On the flip side, a new town player could also reasonably feel like they just shot themself in the foot.

I agree with this. The antidote to making some questionable posts, Biaga, is generally making good posts. Posting helps town. Post more, help town. :sun:

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Biaga posted:

Townie talk, ie tying to look townie to early in the game. I smell scum.

Gabriel Pope posted:

Are we still jokeposting? Because this is pretty dumb, especially when you've been making a couple generic "i am town" posts yourself.

Gotta agree with Pope here, this comes across as really dumb/weird.

Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

A faction armed to the teeth hardly seems friendly to me.

SirSamVimes posted:

Confirming that there was a lot of posts while I was asleep dang

Confirming that many of the posts made me hungry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

A game with death millers/reverse death millers could be fun if there was a role where you could get the true flip of a dead player.

• Locked thread