Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Kerbal is p ck2 in the fact that one dumb thing you missed an hour ago now has you spiraling into imminent doom and every way out involves someone dying in a horrific way.

Or hilarious but you're still hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Maybe someone here would be kind enough to help me. I've been trying for a couple hours to place the Valyrian graphical culture from AGOT into Vanilla just so I can use the fancy white hair on my unique snowflake dynasty. But despite following tutorials on how to do this sort of thing to the letter (or so I thought) it never seems to work, the culture just flat out doesn't show up. As far as I can tell I've done everything exactly as described by culture modding tutorials, including one written by one of the AGOT devs specifically about putting the Valyrians into Vanilla, so I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

EDIT: Heh, finally just decided to throw everything from the AGOT files even remotely related to graphical/portraits/culture into the HIP folders to use as a sort of piggyback and it seems to have worked. But I'm willing to bet that's going to break something somewhere down the line. "Somewhere down the line" turned into "almost immediately".

Esroc fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 30, 2015

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

pwnyXpress posted:

Your dreams are puny.

Rome 2-->CK3-->EU5-->Vicky 3-->HOI 5-->New Product-->Stellaris 2

New Ancient History Game* -->Rome 2-->CK3-->EU5-->Vicky 3-->HOI 5-->New Product-->Stellaris 2

*from around the Peloponnesian War to the rise of Rome

That's my dream.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

Flinstones Universalis --> New Ancient History Game* -->Rome 2-->CK3-->EU5-->Vicky 3-->HOI 5-->New Product-->Stellaris 2

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Wait, so the tribes that are created when you take their last bit of land aren't playable?

:mediocre:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Coward posted:

It's definitely going to be a revision including the whole rest of Africa. I mean, on top of that Archer nerf, they couldn't actually hate the West African provinces, right?

They're adding roughly 4,000 Garamantian provinces.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 24, 2018

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!
Maybe it's just events. An expansion of nothing but new events and maybe a speed optimization patch/new modder tools.

I would murder the pope for the ability to completely change the interface on certain pages. Imagine a family tree that's actually useful or a page that is just a listing of people starting with your heir, the next in line, then the next and the next etc so you can figure out exactly who you need to stab and in what order to get that one distant cousin heir of france on your throne.

TheCIASentMe fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 30, 2015

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

stop i think i'm hyperventilating with excitement

New-Spore-First-2-Phases-Like --> Flinstones Universalis --> New Ancient History Game* --> Rome 2 --> CK3 --> EU5 --> Vicky 3 --> HOI 5 --> Kerbal 2 --> Stellaris 2

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

it's probably increased depth and mechanics for feudal rulers, with cadet branches and things like that. that's the only area paradox haven't really expanded on and the paradox forums are always moaning about not focusing on europe

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
It's colonisation mechanics for Greenland, the most important thing that happened in the games timeframe.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

pwnyXpress posted:

stop i think i'm hyperventilating with excitement

New-Spore-First-2-Phases-Like --> Flinstones Universalis --> New Ancient History Game* --> Rome 2 --> CK3 --> EU5 --> Vicky 3 --> HOI 5 --> Kerbal 2 --> Stellaris 2

And then by the end of Stellaris you get the option of spreading life seeds on an earth-like planet and we have a full circle.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Naval Warfare is my real guess.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
If it turns out to be a Rise of Islam expansion I'll be relieved and pissed.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Hopefully it's expanded internal management. How can I be immersed when my Duke of Milan cannot establish a Department of Health to fight plague?

I want this + the quality of life improvements re: the UI mentioned below this post.

Family tree as it is right now sucks. I find myself bored a lot between wars, too. I want more kingdom management.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

If it turns out to be a Rise of Islam expansion I'll be relieved and pissed.

I would be quite apathetic, but interested to see how they handle Muhammed, and also for the glorious rage tears of the Paradox forums.

Still probably a day 1 but, though. Paradox has earned that trust.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Elias_Maluco posted:

And then by the end of Stellaris you get the option of initiating a new big bang and we have a full circle.

ftfy

verbal enema posted:

Kerbal is p ck2 in the fact that one dumb thing you missed an hour ago now has you spiraling into imminent doom and every way out involves someone dying in a horrific way.

Or hilarious but you're still hosed

"I was sure I had added the parachutes to the return capsule..."

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Sky Shadowing posted:

I would be quite apathetic, but interested to see how they handle Muhammed, and also for the glorious rage tears of the Paradox forums.

Still probably a day 1 but, though. Paradox has earned that trust.

It would probably take place right after the death of Muhammad (PBUH) with the rise of the Rashidun Caliphate in Arabia. That would let them avoid dealing with him directly.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

The most important question: With a 7th-century startdate, would Italy have Italian or Roman culture?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Ofaloaf posted:

The most important question: With a 7th-century startdate, would Italy have Italian or Roman culture?

German.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Lombard and Avar. :getin:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Ofaloaf posted:

I would probably go with mostly Italian and Lombard with pockets of Roman here and there, but then again I'm not too familiar with the cultural composition of 7th-century Italy. If you don't mind me asking, how did you design some of the cultures for Let's Wear Black? I'm trying to come up with a half decent Norse-Brittonic culture and I have no idea what I'm doing. I could probably get a degree in linguistics but that seems like a bit of work for something relatively small.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I just conquered Rome as the Byzantines and I'm trying to turn it into a Prince-Archbishop but I can't get it to work. I control the county and the county capital is the church but every time I give it someone they just take over it as a normal count/duke. What am I doing wrong?

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 1, 2015

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Are you giving to a clergy member?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

verbal enema posted:

Are you giving to a clergy member?

I made my son my council bishop and then tried to give it to him but it doesn't work. Is it because the church is the county capital so it counts as giving a county and not giving a church? Do I need to revoke a city, switch the capital, and then give him the church, county, and then duchy in that order? Thats retarded.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Oh I have no idea it just seemed right so my bad.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So I decided to holy war some dude, since I had about 2x his troops, even though the terrain would make it tricky to get them down there. I declare war, start moving my troops over, then suddenly the enemy leader dies, and his successor pulls 10k VASSAL troops out of his rear end. Not even event troops or anything, his army levy overview just said "From Vassals: 25k/16k." The old dude only had about 16k vassal troops, so how does that happen?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Wait coucil bishop like your council? No I think they have to be an actual title holder of a church kind of clergy.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Broken Cog posted:

So I decided to holy war some dude, since I had about 2x his troops, even though the terrain would make it tricky to get them down there. I declare war, start moving my troops over, then suddenly the enemy leader dies, and his successor pulls 10k VASSAL troops out of his rear end. Not even event troops or anything, his army levy overview just said "From Vassals: 25k/16k." The old dude only had about 16k vassal troops, so how does that happen?

Defending against Infidels modifier gets you a lot of vassal troops.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

verbal enema posted:

Defending against Infidels modifier gets you a lot of vassal troops.

No, the old dude was also defending against infidels, this guy went 10k over the vassal limit for no apparent reason.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Broken Cog posted:

No, the old dude was also defending against infidels, this guy went 10k over the vassal limit for no apparent reason.

Oh whoops yeah I just re-read that. Dunno!

Man advice is not my forte tonight.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
AFAIK you don't lose troops if you have them raised and the specific vassal supplying them suddenly wants to supply fewer troops. (For example, because you just inherited and have a big fat "short reign" penalty...). It's not that unusual for someone who inherits in the middle of a war to be over their vassal troop limit, at least until they start taking losses.

As for where the extra troops came from, were they already landed before inheriting? If so, that's a bunch of extra vassals they can raise troops from that the old ruler didn't have.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Jabor posted:

AFAIK you don't lose troops if you have them raised and the specific vassal supplying them suddenly wants to supply fewer troops. (For example, because you just inherited and have a big fat "short reign" penalty...). It's not that unusual for someone who inherits in the middle of a war to be over their vassal troop limit, at least until they start taking losses.

As for where the extra troops came from, were they already landed before inheriting? If so, that's a bunch of extra vassals they can raise troops from that the old ruler didn't have.

Actually, that might be it. Seems they had elective succession, and I guess this guy had a sizeable demesme before he inherited. Still, it's kinda bullshit that it can bring him way above the troop limit.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Is there a good guide for creating a custom map?

I'd like to make a simple chessboard map and see what happens with the simulation, for example.

Not even sure where to start.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
You mean like each province is a perfect square connected to adjacent squares? Would this use the default map (grid-based Eurasia)?

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

What kind of troops should I be spending my horde manpower on? I'm playing a nomadic government for the first time and I've reached a point where I have the gold to buy all of them but it seems like the ones that cost prestige are still the best for the horse archers.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
So now that all the DLCs are 75% off (except Horse Lords-generation ones which are 25%) this weekend on Steam, are any of the flavor ones (Dynasty Shields, the Portrait Packs, Music Packs, Unit Packs, etc.) worth it at the hefty price point of $0.49 apiece?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Go with the portrait packs, I'd say. Those are the only ones I go for, but some people really like the music.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Some of the music packs are actually pretty good, and I highly recommend all the portrait packs except the Mediterranean one. Personally I never had much use for dynasty shields or unit packs (and unit packs used to cause significant slowdown if your machine isn't a beast, dunno if that's still the case).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Eric the Mauve posted:

Some of the music packs are actually pretty good, and I highly recommend all the portrait packs except the Mediterranean one. Personally I never had much use for dynasty shields or unit packs (and unit packs used to cause significant slowdown if your machine isn't a beast, dunno if that's still the case).

Unit packs causes awful graphical glitches for me in linux, I had to disable the few I own to be able to play.

• Locked thread