Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Roflan posted:

I would love to effort post about the psychology of suicide but probably shouldn't. All I'll say is that if someone is in the position where they might commit suicide over the failure of a game then they were suicidal before their attachment to the game and were using it as a means to ignore the true source of their pain.

Therefore: The failure of this game won't make anyone commit suicide. But some suicidal people might be obsessed with this game.

The failure might not be the root cause of suicide, but sadly could serve as the final nail...
I know someone (a friend of a friend) who did try to kill himself, and that guy had a sudden change of heart as he was bleeding out. Luckily an amublance arrived fast enough (he called them himself). The actual event that pushed him to do it was neglible to any normal person.
Some of those people went with trash food for months to put more money in, or risked/some lost their significant other. If those are already close to suicide. It failing could push someone over. I hope it doesn't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

shrach posted:

Erin has 70% of the shares. Chris has 15%. This company has presumably taken backer money via the other Roberts companies though and there is a very curious charge of a deposit from NatWest bank with Foundry 42 Ltd. It appears that the company put aside company money in a company bank account and agreed not to touch it. This has served as a deposit for further borrowing. This isn't a typical way you borrow money.

This sort of behaviour might happen to enable a director to borrow money personally, say for a mortgage for their own house. They even get a reduced interest rate on the borrowing as all that company cash acts as security for the bank. Obviously we cannot be sure but this would count as a significant post-balance sheet event and appear as a disclosure note in the companies accounts for 2014 even though it happened in January of 2015...if the accounts were filed three months ago.

For anyone curious you can see the details of the charge here: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08703814/filing-history/MzExNjIzNzcyMmFkaXF6a2N4/document?format=pdf&download=0

Well that's interesting. Is there any way to substantiate this further or is this as much as we're going to get?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Generation Internet posted:

From the Forbes post:

Jesus Christ, I hadn't paid attention to this game since about early 2013. What the hell happened?

It became Scientology 2.0

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

From the Forbes post:

Jesus Christ, I hadn't paid attention to this game since about early 2013. What the hell happened?

Basically a cartoon villain is exploiting man-children by tempting them to buy things that don't exist and will never exist. Man-children then fork over literal thousands of dollars for the pleasure of things that don't exist. These things that continue to not exist are coming to fruition. Fruition in this case is non-existence. Now with their promises dashed people are finally starting to freak out because of the non-existence of their non-existent space craft. Forbes wrote an article basically saying the pyramid scheme is starting to totter.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

quote:

Generation Internet

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

What the hell happened?
Something Wonderful.

*Cut to shot of giant star citizen logo turning black and collapsing into a star*

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

It turns out that when you lie to people for two years while still taking their money, it causes one of two reactions. Either you become cynical, or you become even more committed to the illusion of progress and attack anyone who dares to threaten that fragile mental construct.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

:lesnick: insulted Derek Smart.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Around the verse should just be a 50-minute video of Ben hula-hooping.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

quote:

I am very excited to be part of the Star Citizen community. Watching CIG build Star Citizen has been an absolute thrill for me. With every coming week as more assets are bought into the game and the technologies become more and more refined we can all see the vision that CIG is working towards becoming reality, it really is a beautiful thing to behold.

I have patience for what the team at CIG is putting together, good things take time.

As I read Chris's letter I could not help to think of Steve Jobs and how I am sure he would be proud of Chris for standing his ground and following his vision.
Chris like Steve had doubters that said it could not be done, should not be done and never made the journey or dared to dream the dream. I am hear to say I share in Chris's dream and can't thank him enough for bringing the PC platform back from the brink and giving us not only Star Citizen but a platform to build on for year to come...

for year to come

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

From the Forbes post:

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Sarsapariller posted:

Well that's interesting. Is there any way to substantiate this further or is this as much as we're going to get?

That charge is all there is to go on currently. We only know that it is still active and has not yet been satisfied.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

peter gabriel posted:

for year to come

If we're lucky Chris will also die of a completely preventable illness.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Knifegrab posted:

If we're lucky Chris will also die of a completely preventable illness.

Gold poisoning on the account everything in his home has been plated gold.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Breaking News: Sandi targets another employee at gun point:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/287242/a-new-perspective

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
I mean, right now it's just The Escapist's word versus RSI's right? It's fun to watch but seems tricky to take sides at the moment.

Other than jesus christ everyone is an idiot.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Smart hasn't mentioned the overdue UK accounts yet has he?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Jethro_E7 posted:

My question relates to the guy who refused to stop spending even after his wife did an intervention and subsequently left him. Is he getting back with her now?

I need more deets!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Another one here.

quote:

Email from Sandi

Go write something nice about us or so help me I'll rip your loving throat out when I get back, you useless bastard.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

thatguy posted:

Was your investment thrilling enough?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQEwaRVhWcc

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

AP posted:

Smart hasn't mentioned the overdue UK accounts yet has he?

Should stick with Foundry 42 Ltd since it is the most overdue and likely the most active during the period. You can't miss the big red exclamation mark and can get a direct link:

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08703814

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Agrajag posted:

I need more deets!

Linking again:

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

You're okay ?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Positive employee testimonials:
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3n59ft/working_at_cig_from_a_cig_employee/
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5678014/#Comment_5678014
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/287242/a-cig-employee-s-thoughts/p1

The dissonance is pretty heavy- it's obvious one group is lying. The question is, which one? On the one hand, recently fired employees might be disgruntled. On the other, currently employed people probably want to keep their jobs.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

shrach posted:

Should stick with Foundry 42 Ltd since it is the most overdue and likely the most active during the period. You can't miss the big red exclamation mark and can get a direct link:

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08703814

I'm not touching the poop. But I don't mind if someone else chucks some wood on the fire.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress is going on? :aaaaa:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

This sums up my feelings on the matter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CPlF-IEkXQ

I think I'm going to grill a ribeye on the grill I bought from selling imaginary space ships in celebration.

Now the real question is, corn or potatoes?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Sarsapariller posted:

Positive employee testimonials:
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3n59ft/working_at_cig_from_a_cig_employee/
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5678014/#Comment_5678014
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/287242/a-cig-employee-s-thoughts/p1

The dissonance is pretty heavy- it's obvious one group is lying. The question is, which one? On the one hand, recently fired employees might be disgruntled. On the other, currently employed people probably want to keep their jobs.

The Escapist article mentions that some are current employees. At the end of the day both could be true. If you're friends with management work is usually awesome.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Bolow posted:

Potatoes, for more substance. Corn, for more convenience.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Bolow posted:

This sums up my feelings on the matter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CPlF-IEkXQ

I think I'm going to grill a ribeye on the grill I bought from selling imaginary space ships in celebration.

Why not both!?

Toss cast iron on grill, fry potatos

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
r/games reaction:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/3n4csq/star_citizen_employees_speak_out_on_project_woes/

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Dohaeris posted:

I mean, right now it's just The Escapist's word versus RSI's right? It's fun to watch but seems tricky to take sides at the moment.

Other than jesus christ everyone is an idiot.

You'd figure that if the many, many allegations against CIG were false that they'd just put up some evidence supporting them, though. The financial problems for instance - if their budget really isn't down to $8 million and they're really not spending money on personal expenses, why not post some reports to shut Smart up? They could've done that months ago and put a huge damper on their critics that way, but they've let it fester. Same with the management complaints; after all this, only one guy feels willing to (sorta) stick up for the company on Reddit, after at least a dozen people have been outright fired. This is a company that's taken in over $90 million, you'd figure they could put up a quarterly report or an actual press response that's not a crazed rant from the CEO.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy

Sedisp posted:

The Escapist article mentions that some are current employees.

But offers no proof, of course. I asked on reddit and was told CHRIS ROBERTS HAS PROOF AND THE ESCAPIST LIES.

But...I see neither side offering proof?

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
I guess that's missing is a current employee with confidentiality protected but validated by a trusted source saying it's all going to poo poo. Of course, the letter from that character artist was really telling since it was meant to be internal.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Sedisp posted:

The Escapist article mentions that some are current employees.

Even if this part isn't true, I can only imagine the state of the LA office at the moment due to this little factoid, lol. Sandi must be going on another: "Who's the fucker that snitched?!" spree. And if we see even more firings from this week, man oh man...it'll be hard for them to just keep up their: "It's just restructuring! All game companies do this!" rhetoric.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Dohaeris posted:

But offers no proof, of course. I asked on reddit and was told CHRIS ROBERTS HAS PROOF AND THE ESCAPIST LIES.

Well, one side is legally in trouble if they are publishing articles with claims of that magnitude and nothing to back them up.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Dohaeris posted:

What proof could they offer exactly?

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Have I given something new to the thread? Im sure this person has been banned and refunded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dohaeris posted:

the proof is the game

• Locked thread