Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

What you save in money you make up for in medical bills for destroying your back trying to rack them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We're replacing our old HP EVA next year and looked at UCS but everything we run would only need two blades so it didn't make sense. Probably going to go with 3Par.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

psydude posted:

What you save in money you make up for in medical bills for destroying your back trying to rack them.

And that's why Satan invented smart hands.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

adorai posted:

from a price standpoint, UCS really shines at 3 or more chassis. You can really save some cash at that point over HP or IBMLenovo :eng99:.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

We're replacing our old HP EVA next year and looked at UCS but everything we run would only need two blades so it didn't make sense. Probably going to go with 3Par.
If you just need block you should at least look at nimble. price/performance is pretty bad rear end.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Aunt Beth posted:

Also POWER hardware is bone reliable.

It may be and I'm inclined just to believe it but at the same time and even after going to IBM Conferences I'm kind of just at a loss?

Maybe the deep hardware/software(AIX/IBMi) is going over of my head. I've seen the same "Mission-Critical" systems on Wintel or Linux time and time again.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 2, 2015

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

The Thread posted:

Well, this application isn't going to work in the Cloud! :mmmsmug:

Not to beat a dead horse but the "squeezing" System Administration positions isn't and not tantamount too "The cloud is going take all all our jobs! :supaburn:".

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Has anyone got a decent overview of what UCS is all about? I read the Cisco website and didn't really come away any wiser.

What was said earlier is more-or-less accurate but what I find funny and interesting is did Cisco really just come out of nowhere with UCS? Where they even making servers/blades/nodes until a few years ago?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Dumb aside: in trying to broaden my horizons, I've been reading Rex Black's Managing the Testing Process, one of the only QA management books I could find, and I feel like it's done more for improving my perspective and the way I approach technical work than any book I've read that actually deals with technical work

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tab8715 posted:

What was said earlier is more-or-less accurate but what I find funny and interesting is did Cisco really just come out of nowhere with UCS? Where they even making servers/blades/nodes until a few years ago?

The first gen UCSes were terrible. We had to use packaging tape on ours because the blades would vibrate themselves out.

However, the convergence of everything you needed to run a VMware cluster was a magical bridge to cross. HP probably could have done it (or Dell), but somebody at Cisco got a light bulb, and it was a killer idea.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I hadn't even come across them until I started this job. I didn't trust them at first because I generally don't trust new Cisco products, but they're pretty good for all of your boring server hardware needs.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Vulture Culture posted:

Dumb aside: in trying to broaden my horizons, I've been reading Rex Black's Managing the Testing Process, one of the only QA management books I could find, and I feel like it's done more for improving my perspective and the way I approach technical work than any book I've read that actually deals with technical work

I've always been glad I spent some time doing QA at the start of my career. I feel like it gave me a great appreciation for the software development process, and shaped my way of looking at (or for) problems. It's an underrated discipline in tech.

psydude posted:

Also therapy to help you cope with their loving god-awful UI. Seriously UCS Manager is the worst thing.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Docjowles posted:

Also therapy to help you cope with their loving god-awful UI. Seriously UCS Manager is the worst thing.

well yeah its Cisco

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The incoming director of IT has no IT experience. He's just a friend of the CEO.

Is the rats fleeing a sinking ship image appropriate yet?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The incoming director of IT has no IT experience. He's just a friend of the CEO.

You've been upgraded to Costa Concordia.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Best case he's aware he doesn't know IT and listens to the department to inform his decisions while also shielding you from dumb demands and inter-department politiking since he's got friends in high places. My best department heads weren't necessarily former techs, they were just really good manager-types (although they all had experience working in IT before)...worst case Nearer My God to Thee is already playing.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Managers don't necessarily need to be skilled in the field they are managing as long as the staff is intelligent and he listens to them. But you are probably screwed.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah. I have been looking for jobs for about two weeks now. Glad I got a head start at least.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5NANrVnqLc

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I literally work for my highschool Physics teacher.

As mentioned, it might be ok.. but in my case.. it isn't.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

My physics professor in college has a 3d printer and a hackintosh in his office.. I have a feeling he'd be a cool guy to work for. Also, he was an engineer on a nuclear submarine, so no end of great stories.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Nuclear submarines are cool. The brother of one of my childhood friends got into some hot water some years back because one of his business associates tried to buy an old Soviet sub to smuggle drugs up the California coast.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Because no one would notice a Russian sub off the west coast or anything. :stare:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Vulture Culture posted:

Nuclear submarines are cool. The brother of one of my childhood friends got into some hot water some years back because one of his business associates tried to buy an old Soviet sub to smuggle drugs up the California coast.

To be fair, nobody would have assumed the Russian sub lurking around California was only smuggling drugs.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Maybe it was Baja California and the person telling me the story got their details mixed up? Narco-submarines are pretty popular:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narco-submarine

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
So there is a website that PAYS you to talk to recruiters.

https://www.joinjune.com/

J
Jun 10, 2001

Vulture Culture posted:

Maybe it was Baja California and the person telling me the story got their details mixed up? Narco-submarines are pretty popular:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narco-submarine

That was actually a really interesting read.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

psydude posted:

I hadn't even come across them until I started this job. I didn't trust them at first because I generally don't trust new Cisco products, but they're pretty good for all of your boring server hardware needs.

UCS blades are very good I've seen some notable reliability issues with the UCS C series rackmount servers.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

adorai posted:

If you just need block you should at least look at nimble. price/performance is pretty bad rear end.

They were on our list to look at but it was a concern how new they were. There is an HP shop literally a mile from us so when we have an EVA issue, there is a dude onsite in like 10 minutes and that's pretty valuable.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Our unit has been running Cisco UCS blades for 4 years now - they are loving tanks and have handled everything we've thrown at them, including running about half of the AFNET Exchange environment on virtual servers. We've got about 128 of them and just under 1000 VMs running Windows Server 2008 R2. The environment wasn't actually designed to be that way, but rather grew as poo poo was piled on since we had so much processing and memory capacity available. Our only bottleneck now is storage. Our sister unit was looking at building a Cisco UCS blade environment after having witnessed the complete reliability of our systems under heavy load for the last year, but balked at the price tag. Instead they wanted to take some of ours, but we squashed that pretty quick.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

GreenNight posted:

They were on our list to look at but it was a concern how new they were. There is an HP shop literally a mile from us so when we have an EVA issue, there is a dude onsite in like 10 minutes and that's pretty valuable.

If your storage has enough issues that this is a real concern you should look at better storage. Most modern arrays are reliable enough that all you'll ever do is replace a failed drive, and any software issue will be handled by an engineer over the phone so proximity doesn't matter.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

NippleFloss posted:

If your storage has enough issues that this is a real concern you should look at better storage. Most modern arrays are reliable enough that all you'll ever do is replace a failed drive, and any software issue will be handled by an engineer over the phone so proximity doesn't matter.

In the 7 years we've had the EVA I can count on one hand how many times I needed a tech to come on site, but we have more HP products than just storage. We had a fiber channel switch with random failed ports, a tape storage device with a failed drive and an ESX server with a failed system board. None of which I'd want to fix myself. Hot-swappable hard drives are easy as poo poo though.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

They aren't that new. I live in a pretty small town and our latest nimble usergroup had about 20 attendees.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

GreenNight posted:

In the 7 years we've had the EVA I can count on one hand how many times I needed a tech to come on site, but we have more HP products than just storage. We had a fiber channel switch with random failed ports, a tape storage device with a failed drive and an ESX server with a failed system board. None of which I'd want to fix myself. Hot-swappable hard drives are easy as poo poo though.

Okay, but was does that have to do with buying HP storage? Also, as mentioned, Nimble isn't that new. They have a reasonable user base and a good support system. If you aren't at least looking at newer offering like Nimble, Tegile, Tintri, etc you are doing yourself a disservice.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
If you want a professional Nimble reference, please contact me via PM. I am a senior IT officer at bank with over 50 branch offices and will give you a real reference call if you want. Bonus for me if you let me be your referral and you actually buy it because i get a free ipad or something. Seriously, it's good poo poo. I will give you my name and business phone number if you contact me for a Nimble reference.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah we're having 3 different consulting companies quote us what they feel is the best fit for what our needs are. We've diagrammed out 3Par, Nutanix, Nimble, VMWare VSA and Netapp. We're not a big shop, 4 ESX hosts with ~50 virtual machines and currently using 20TB of disk. We're going to putting a second unit in a different office for DR and backups, possible getting a StoreOnce (or Data Domain to connect to our AS400) device in each location.

GreenNight fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 3, 2015

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

There is a ton of storage options out there and it's pretty drat confusing. Especially when you only look at it every 5-7 years.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
for reference, at our primary location we have 6 hosts, 30TB, and 225 VMs. We replaced 20U of netapp with 3U of Nimble and increased our performance.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

adorai posted:

for reference, at our primary location we have 6 hosts, 30TB, and 225 VMs. We replaced 20U of netapp with 3U of Nimble and increased our performance.

Goddamn, what did you replace?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Is Nimble's proprietary file system/algorithm/whatever worth it? It's one option we're looking at right now.