Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Captain Godolphin Gett

Damage 1d6 | Armour 1 | HP 20/20 | XP 1/8 | Map 0 | Trade 1 | Hold 0

One crewman a constant liability, the other a petulant child, throwing tantrums. Gett shook his head as he leapt across the deck snatching up a grapnel and line, spinning it around to build momentum. He really must be less whimsical in regards to his hiring policies in the future.

"Grapnels!" he shouted as he rushed across the deck, and several of his men joined him. The spider's net, still trailing bits of cinder, drifted down as the terrified monster backed away after finding out that its prey had teeth of iron and breath of flame.

"Cast!" bellowed Gett and he did just that, as did his men, launching their grapnels into the void in hopes of catching the net that held both Cy and Chief Usopp.

Gone fishin' Defy Danger + DEX (w/crew): 2d6+2 8 1 use of adventuring gear.

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Jerret Roarke
HP: 21/21 Suit Condition: Dinged | Cannon ammo: 1/2 | debility: | Armor 2 | XP 1/7

Second verse, same as the first!

I kick in my boosters, launching up and away from the giant freakin spider.
Defy Danger 8
The dodge is awkward and unbalanced, still out of control, but I'm not on the spider anymore. I raise my hands again, hoping to blast it before things get worse.
Volley 9
You have to take several shots, reducing your ammo by one
damage: 1d8 6 2 piercing
My etheric cannons unleash pulse after pulse into the Spider, the recoil adding to my erratic, and likely to end painfully, flight path...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Just bumping and quoting this from the previous page in case anyone missed it.

Harrow posted:

Everything going on around the spider's net-web is utter chaos. Let's break it down:
  • Cy, you're able to deftly weave your body through the net, which would be extremely impressive if anyone could actually see you do it, you quick bastard. But you didn't do it perfectly, and now your sword is stuck to it, flat-side on. You're either going to have to let go, or you're along for the ride until you can free yourself. Speaking of the ride...
  • ...Luka, your cannon fire, combined with the flares launched by Captain Gett, sends the spider into a bit of a panic. It shrinks back, apparently trying to retreat up the vines, bringing anyone stuck to the web up with it. At the same time, the flames, answering your call, burn the net away from the spider's limbs. It falls--gently, but it still falls.
  • That means that Cy (if he hangs onto his sword) and Usopp are now drifting towards the floor of the borehole, a couple hundred feet below where they are now. The net's tangled up just enough to serve as a good enough parachute that you aren't going to be hurt when you land, but it's going to be tough to get back up if you drift all the way down.

Jerret, you're definitely pretty far out of control. You've avoided the swinging vine (thankfully--that would've hurt!), but your boosters send you careening... right towards the panicking spider. You land on its back, just barely early enough to avoid Luka's cannon fire. It's thrashing around, trying to throw you off and get away from the fire that's crawling all over its massive body--a cornered beast. If it notices you, it'll definitely lash out with its mandibles, and that's gonna hurt.

What do you do?

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Usopp
HP: 9/15 | debility: | Armor 1 | XP 3/8

"Okay, this is unfortunate," Professor Usopp says as he starts drifting down entangled in the webs. "I wish I could find a good updraft... hey, wait a minute."

"Bud-E, can you get into my trunk? I think it's stuck to my back. You should be able to find the Device For Rapidly Producing Drafts of Air. Give it a spin, okay?"

Using Keeper of Curios to basically look for a fan so I can give myself a nice updraft and float back up.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Sorry, started a new job and didn't have quite as much time as I thought I would. I'll get a post up asap.

Cy
HP: 8/16 | debility: N/A | Armor: 1 | XP: 1/8 | Tick: 1 | Tock: 1 | Moment Hold: 1

Cy let his sword go, it was a better option than getting dragged along. The professor wasn't quite so lucky. It was almost comical. Though now he was heading down into the borehole. Goodness, this was going to be difficult. Especially without his weapon. At least his sword was going with the professor. Cy let himself slide to the floor down the vine. Dashing forward towards the hole and the slowly dropping professor. He would need to time his movements carefully.

- - -

Spending 1 Tick for 1 Tock to Time Skip to the edge of the Bolt hole
Spending 1 Tock to activate Give Me A Moment
Spending 1 Moment Hold to notice something you can use to your advantage.

I'm looking for anything sharp that can be used to cut things.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

No worries. I can sympathize with free time-eating job situations.

slydingdoor, you out there?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Luka Solaspon
/19 HP; 0 Armor, 5/8 XP

The spider gets out of range of the cannons, and the ship can't really move. I can still kill it with fire though. "Eat the eight legger to death," I signal the flames the spider carries with it. "But not the folk."

Just to death, too, it might have prizes inside. Those are mine to eat, not just any flame's.

Zuko Style again: 2d6+2 13
damage: 1d8 7

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cannons and flame, flame and cannons--under a hail of fire and... fire, the spider retreats further up a fine, twitching and contorting in its arachnid expressions of pain. Jerret, your final few blasts into the burning beast land squarely in its eyes, and the huge spider starts curling into itself, then falls off the vine. It's dead.

And, in a way, it's taking you with it, Jerret. The combination of your clumsy dodge and the recoil from your etheric cannons sends you flying backwards and down, where you end up caught in the same net that Usopp is. The combined weight of the two of you overpowers the net's ability to work as a parachute and you start to plummet. The floor is coming up mighty fast--sweet death at the bottom of a borehole--but at the last second, Captain Gett's grapnels catch onto the net, stopping your descent suddenly. It wasn't a perfect catch, though--the sudden stop causes the net to break. Jerret, you're attached to the part that the grapnel managed to keep hold of.

Usopp, you're still falling, and with a smaller (and less effective) parachute, but at least you don't have Jerret's heavy suit dragging you down. You feel Bud-E scrambling over your shoulder and digging in your pack. Finally, it hands you a little gadget that it looks like it cobbled together on its own--it's like three fan blades attached to a hand crank. It'll create a pretty nice updraft and probably let you ascend, but it's not going to hold together long (consumable) and its parts certainly weren't intended to be used for this.

Cy, on the way down, your slowed perception notices a nice, sharp piece of wood sticking out of one of the spurs on the inside of this huge borehole cave you're in. It'd make a decent cutting device, though now you're faced with either freeing Jerret (who's hanging from the ship's grapnel) or Usopp (who seems to be holding some sort of device that might let him get back up on his own).

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Jerret Roarke
HP: 21/21 Suit Condition: Dinged | Cannon ammo: 1/2 | debility: | Armor 2 | XP 1/7

I glance up at the webbing holding me upside down by the ankle, then glance back to Usopp falling. The choice is clear to me. Save the guy not wearing a flying suit of armor.
I reach up and tear at the webbing holding my foot.
Defy Danger STR 9
the webbing snaps under the servos in my gauntlets, and now I'm hurtling down to Usopp. As I reach him I wrap my arms around him, hoping to put myself and my armor between him and harm.
Defend 4 +XP 7
redirecting damage from Usopp to myself

Thanks again Luka.

With a coarse and rumbly cough, my boosters manage to clear the webbing that had been clogging them, slowing us ever so slightly, making the fall dangerous rather than lethal.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 3, 2015

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Luka Solaspon
/19 HP; 0 Armor, 5/8 XP

I stick my head out of the window the cannons just threw themselves away from and see Hal, the professor and the guy inside Hal falling. Looks like the webs are clogging the suit--all built to amplify the motions of the person inside it, not just to protect the people outside the suit (and look awesome) like mine. If he can't slow his fall they both could die. "NO!" I extend my hand to Hal and Sola hears firing invisible beams no one else can see through the Tree that converge on the pair and pull them upwards with the power of gravity so they all can decelerate enough to survive the fast approaching ground...

When I'm done doing something, I freak out looking over a black abyss, fall on my butt, then scoot back away from it. Where am I? On a ship looks like, with a bunch of hot cannons. The gun guys come over to haul me up and I let them, "Hi. I'm Luka. Where am--are we? So dark." They groan like this has happened before and draw lots to determine who has to give me ketchup, whatever that means.

Burns Twice as Bright
When you channel the flames of fate, you may treat a missed roll as a 7-9 or a
7-9 result as a 10+. This may be a roll you or another character has made. Tell the
GM something you’ve lost; an emotion, a memory or some innate piece of your
being. You may not use this move again until you’ve used Burns Half As Long.

Fixing that Defend roll to 7-9. Forgetting that I'm part of the crew, who they are, where I am, how I got here, etc.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Usopp

"Uh... it's a lot smaller than I remembered, but it'll do. Thanks Bud-E," Usopp says to Bud-E, who is whirring enthusiastically, a certain spin of pride in its gears.

The Professor starts turning the hand crank as fast as he can to produce the slightest little updraft. In mere moments, he and Bud-E are soaring very slowly upwards.

If there's a thing I need to roll, let me know and I'll edit my post.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Well, a man in a heavy metal suit just grabbed onto you. :v:

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Right, given that I'm thinking there definitely is something I need to roll. What's the move for finding out whether a makeshift handheld fan can support the weight of me, Bud-E, my collection and Jerret and his armor?

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Cy
HP: 8/16 | debility: N/A | Armor: 1 | XP: 1/8 | Tick: 1 | Tock: 1 | Moment Hold: 1

Cy looked at the chaos of whatever was happening with Jarret and Ussop. Deciding that it might be better to just watch what happens.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Captain Godolphin Gett

Leaning over the gunwhales, Captain Gett frowned down at the antics from below. It looked like the crisis was over- the monster taught the folly of its actions, his crewman, the passenger and whatever it was that Cy was were more or less safe. When Mr. Roarke finished playing about down there, they could get the engines moving and be on their way. There seemed little for him to do in this case.

Instead, he drew out his spyglass again and looked about. Best make sure there were no more surprises. Particularly, he was intrigued by the apparent cavern that Mr. Roarke had flown out of at such a rate.

Discern Realities: 2d6+2 7 What should I be on the lookout for (if anything)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ratpick posted:

Right, given that I'm thinking there definitely is something I need to roll. What's the move for finding out whether a makeshift handheld fan can support the weight of me, Bud-E, my collection and Jerret and his armor?

That's a toughie. Maybe go with a Defy Danger with INT? Like, you're rolling to see if this device was put together cleverly enough to support both of your weights. Granted, Bud-E put it together in the fiction I wrote, but that was a bit arbitrary, so you can go ahead and use your own INT instead of Bud-E's non-existent stats.

Once you roll that I'll write up a full GM post.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Harrow posted:

That's a toughie. Maybe go with a Defy Danger with INT? Like, you're rolling to see if this device was put together cleverly enough to support both of your weights. Granted, Bud-E put it together in the fiction I wrote, but that was a bit arbitrary, so you can go ahead and use your own INT instead of Bud-E's non-existent stats.

Once you roll that I'll write up a full GM post.

Usopp

"Oh, hello Mr. Roarke. Nice of you to drop by. Now, if you'll excuse me, the only thing keeping us aloft is this handheld fan Bud-E just made. I'm pretty sure it'll hold," Usopp says. Sola, please let it hold.

Defy Danger (INT): 2d6+2 9

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 7, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

GM post coming soon! Sorry, I've been working all weekend and couldn't face having to actually think about things and then type them. Check back later today!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Harrow posted:

GM post coming soon! Sorry, I've been working all weekend and couldn't face having to actually think about things and then type them. Check back later today!

I know the feeling, its all good.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So, here's how it goes: Jerret, you didn't quite extricate yourself perfectly from the webbing, so your flight to Usopp was troubled. Seriously, you've gotta get those jets checked out. Anyway, you grab onto him, but your momentum pulls both of you down a little bit more than you'd want to, and you're swinging pretty wildly.

You're both already off-course, swinging wildly in mid-air, when Usopp fires up his strange little device. Usopp, it's not quite strong enough to send you upwards in a straight line, but you're making progress. Unfortunately, the uneven weight distribution and Jerret's initial momentum means you're swinging through the air, and about to slam right into a huge wooden spur. Luckily for you, Jerret is there to take the blow when you slam into the rock-hard outcropping. Jerret, take 2 damage (4, -2 for Armor) or mark Stress on your suit, your choice.

Luckily, after that unpleasant interaction with the tree, you manage to safely deposit both yourself and Jerret on the vine where Cy is perched. You're still stuck to a web, but at least there's something (mostly) solid under you.

Captain Gett, as to what you should be on the lookout for? Well, you're close enough to the big cavern at the end of the borehole now to see the little specks of bioluminescence that Jerret saw earlier. You also notice that some of them are moving, like they're attached to something very large that just woke up from all the commotion.

What do you do?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Captain Godolphin Gett

"Let down ropes for those three," ordered Gett, distracted by the moving lights beyond. He felt perched on a knife-edge: these mysterious lights could signify great treasure, just as they could signify a great beast. He wracked his brains, sure that he had heard a story similar to what he was seeing, some tale he heard in a skysailor's tavern in Arcadia.

"What was that story about? Spout Lore: 2d6 8

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

"What was that story about? Spout Lore: 2d6 8

You were drunk when you heard that story. I mean, of course you were. When else do you exchange stories with other sailors of the skies?

But here's what you recall: the person who told you about it, this tuugak captain, I think her name was Hohj or something, mentioned that the shine she got from chasing after moving lights in a cavern was more than enough to buy her the new ship she needed after getting out of there.

So.

Do with that as you will.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Cy

"How did you enjoy your first flight Professor? A pleasant trip I hope?" Cy asked, looking back up towards the spider's web where his blade hung, still stuck on the threads. He could still get it, it wouldn't be that hard, plus now he had a sutable replacement to cut it out with. Win win really.

- - -

Want me to roll anything to try and retrieve my sword?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Arashiofordo3 posted:

Want me to roll anything to try and retrieve my sword?

Nah, you got it. It's just hanging there, and we've established that Cy has little trouble navigating these vines without something getting in the way.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Jerret Roarke
HP: 19/21 Suit Condition: Dinged | Cannon ammo: 1/2 | debility: | Armor 2 | XP 1/7

At my command, a hidden blade pops out of my gauntlet, and I get to work freeing myself and Usopp.
I don't think I need to roll damage, do I?

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Usopp

Arashiofordo3 posted:

"How did you enjoy your first flight Professor? A pleasant trip I hope?"
"Oh, it was something alright. Truth be told, I'd rather keep my feet firmly planted on something solid from now on. Now, if you'll excuse me," he says, falls on his knees and spews his guts out into the darkness beneath them. Apparently all the spinning and flying really took to him.

Usopp weakly climbs the rope up back on to the ship, and immediately finds the captain. "Captain, glad to see you in one piece as well. So, what do you make of this glowing stuff ahead of us? Is this what the kraa sent us to look for?"

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Captain Godolphin Gett

"I don't believe so," said Captain Gett. "This would appear to be something entirely different. I've heard other stories of a place like this, however. Stories of fantastic wealth and brilliant danger."

He collapsed his spyglass and tucked it in his belt, nodding at the others as they finally returned to the deck of the Black Heaven.

"Chief Usopp, if you would be so good as to find an alternative way of powering our engines, I would be indebted to you. I fear our faffing about in here with that giant spider has drained our fuel cells. If we're going to escape this borehole, let alone explore whatever is out there, then we're going to need the power to maneuver and fight."

"Mr. Cy, Mr. Roarke, I'm glad to have you back aboard. Mr. Roarke, if you have anything to add about the chamber ahead, I would be glad to hear it, and if you know of any way to aid Chief Usopp with the engines, I would appreciate it."

Gett looked at Cy for a moment, as if he were about to speak with him as well, but shook his head. He knew better than anyone that the mysterious man would make his own decisions.

He trotted down the steps and then below to the gundecks. He came upon a now-familiar scene of the gun crew filling their chief in on recent history. Gett sighed, and then reached under his cloak and held forth a folded piece of thick paper, a copy of Luka's contract with him and the Black Heaven.

"Master Solaspon," he began in an oft-repeated statement, "I'm Captain Godolphin Gett, and you're on my ship, the Black Heaven, where you are the Master of Guns. Here is a copy of your contract, which you've advised me to carry for just such an eventuality. Oh, and you and the men just killed a giant spider, well done everyone." Leaving him with the men and the contract, Gett climbed back to the forecastle, made certain that his pistol was loaded, and then prepared for the next piece of action to come their way.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Cy

The masked man nodded to the Capitan. And moved to retrieve his blade from the high up tangle of the web. Slow carefully measured cuts with the make-shiftblades freed his real sword without much effort.

From his high up perch Cy viewed the dark hole bellow. It was times like these he wished that he had that strange man with him, but Solasperson would have to do.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Luka Solaspon
/19 HP; 0 Armor, 5/8 XP

I smile and nod at the Captain, then am escorted to my quarters by the gun crew, where there are signs pointing me to a thing. I follow them to a metal box labeled "book" stuck to a table. The contacts between the box and the table aren't riveted, and the seal on the box itself is not locked, both are just straight up welded. Doesn't matter, I can unstick the box and open it with my bare hands, because eh, metal. I'm excited for the treasure inside.

Apparently it's a book, and I wrote it. Dropped an ember on the special paper, fanned it til it sparked into flame then had it figureskate in tiny cursive across the surface of the page. It's got diagrams and portraits, and lots of margins full of later-notes. The ship's not moving and the guns are at rest, so I read it all.

Wow. Apparently I'm pretty smart. Got all these plans, made all these observations about the crew, what they've got that I need to keep an eye on to make sure they don't blow up the world. Yeah every single one of them can. If I can, I didn't write about it. Not my job anyway. I'm just a taster.

When I'm done I shut again in its box and get outside to be Cy the sap mutant's night light. I invented a little spotlight thing and use that. I also give the Captain back the contract. It matched the copy in my book, which I instructed myself to check, but not to tell him I'm checking or can check.

"Hi. What are we looking for, here?"

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Captain Godolphin Gett

"Treasures and fortune, as usual," replied Captain Gett, nodding to Luka. "However, I am observing the moving lights in that cavern up ahead. They seem to be moving, as if they were creatures of some sort. When Chief Usopp gets us in motion, I propose that we see exactly what the situation is."

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Luka Solaspon
/19 HP; 0 Armor, 5/8 XP

Wait, no one knows what those are? Well then. If they have anything to do with fire or Sola, I'll know. Or if they have nothing to do with those things either, by process of elimination, which I don't need to do after eating because I burn everything completely.

Spout Lore (wisps): 2d6+1 7

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Usopp

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

"Chief Usopp, if you would be so good as to find an alternative way of powering our engines, I would be indebted to you. I fear our faffing about in here with that giant spider has drained our fuel cells. If we're going to escape this borehole, let alone explore whatever is out there, then we're going to need the power to maneuver and fight."

"Aye aye, sir," Usopp said, saluting clumsily, only to disappear quickly into the engine room.

"Alright, Bud-E, you heard the captain. We need to find an alternate way to power the engine until they... er, fix whatever happened to it. What the hell happened to it?"

"Anyway, never mind that. What have we got that, when burnt, would provide enough energy to power an engine? No, Bud-E, put the bomb back, we've talked about this, I'm sure there's no need to resort to that..."

Usopp dives into his collection in silence, looking for something to power the engines with...

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Nothing happened to the engine, we're just out of power

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Jerret Roarke
HP: 19/21 Suit Condition: Dinged | Cannon ammo: 1/2 | debility: | Armor 2 | XP 1/7

I look to the Captain, "Nothing to add about the glowy shite, but gimme a crack at those engines and I'll see what I can do..."
Before he gets a chance to say no, I've disappeared below decks to strip out of my armor, get a drink, and see about which of my ideas for ship upgrades should work out the best. Not necessarily in that order.

Some time later, freshly showered, shaved and boozed, I stand before the great banks of Sunstones in the Enginarium, row after row of steadily darkening crystal, brass valves and copper wiring.
I set down my toolbox on a nearby workbench, and get to work. Tracing connections, mapping the wiring scheme, sketching out areas to improve, or alter. Hours pass like a minute as I lose myself in the work.
Let Me See That
What does this do?
What’s wrong with this, and how might I fix it?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

slydingdoor posted:

Wait, no one knows what those are? Well then. If they have anything to do with fire or Sola, I'll know. Or if they have nothing to do with those things either, by process of elimination, which I don't need to do after eating because I burn everything completely.

Spout Lore (wisps): 2d6+1 7

The color of these moving lights is nothing like something born of Sola--or, if it is, it's spent so long living inside something else that it's taken on a pale green color instead of Sola's brilliant gold. All the lights seem to move together, not in unison, but like they're attached to segments of a whole.

Ratpick posted:

Usopp dives into his collection in silence, looking for something to power the engines with...

Knowing what you know about solar machinery, you know nothing's going to do much good except for a good dose of Sola's light, and nothing in your bag has a sunstone nearly large enough to give the ship the jolt it's going to need to get out of the borehole.

You do, however, notice a rather intense focusing lens. You've seen one like this used before--it can take Sola's light and focus it to such a fine point as to burn a hole right clear through a plank of wood in minutes. It might be able to focus a different light source to give a jump to a sunstone, but it won't work unless you have a light source available and it's going to take some time to use properly (while you wait for the sunstone to charge).

Error 404 posted:

Some time later, freshly showered, shaved and boozed, I stand before the great banks of Sunstones in the Enginarium, row after row of steadily darkening crystal, brass valves and copper wiring.
I set down my toolbox on a nearby workbench, and get to work. Tracing connections, mapping the wiring scheme, sketching out areas to improve, or alter. Hours pass like a minute as I lose myself in the work.
Let Me See That
What does this do?
What’s wrong with this, and how might I fix it?

What's wrong with it is it's out of juice, and how you fix it is get it some more juice.

As you trace the wiring scheme, though, you notice that it's wired pretty efficiently. With your mechanical knowhow, you manage to find the "nexus" of the whole machine--the one sunstone that, if you can fill it with enough light, can jumpstart the whole array, at least enough to get you out of there. It's that little one, in the center, where all the wires seem to cross.

If only you had something that could produce sunlight...

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Hey guys, I'm going to be pretty much completely away from the internet for a week, so my posting will be spotty at best for that time!

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Mutiny!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Harrow posted:

What's wrong with it is it's out of juice, and how you fix it is get it some more juice.

As you trace the wiring scheme, though, you notice that it's wired pretty efficiently. With your mechanical knowhow, you manage to find the "nexus" of the whole machine--the one sunstone that, if you can fill it with enough light, can jumpstart the whole array, at least enough to get you out of there. It's that little one, in the center, where all the wires seem to cross.

If only you had something that could produce sunlight...

Well, I'm pretty sure my Aetheric energy comes from the same "place" that Sola's energy does. So maybe I can wire my suit into it?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Error 404 posted:

Well, I'm pretty sure my Aetheric energy comes from the same "place" that Sola's energy does. So maybe I can wire my suit into it?

Worth a shot! It'd be kind of a jury-rig situation--the crystals are designed to absorb energy directly from Sola's light, so you'd have to rig some sort of "adapter" I'd think to let them "accept" Aetheric energy as a short-term substitute. Nothing a mechanical genius can't handle, I wouldn't think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Jerret Roarke
HP: 19/21 Suit Condition: Dinged and thoroughly wired into the ship | Cannon ammo: 1/2 | debility: | Armor 0 | XP 1/7

After several minutes of silence as I examine the trouble I hit on something, oh this would be hilarious if I can pull it off...
"Idea!" I shout to no one in particular as I push my way past onlooking crew to rush back to my workshop. I quickly jump into my suit, power up, and start walking back to engineering (that drat thing is really heavy otherwise, much easier just to move it this way, I'll look into lightening it with the next version...)

I reach the engines, and open up the suit once more, I drag it a few feet to prop it against a wall for stability, while leaving the innards easy to access. As I work, stripping wires from non-essential systems, and running them into the Shard in the suit, I converse back and forth with HAL about calculation, measurements, conversion ratios. The back and forth so rapid and jargon laced that nobody else present likely has any idea what I'm talking about.

After some time, I stand back, wiping sweat from my brow and sipping whiskey while admiring the ugly beauty of my work. The armor stands gaping open, several dozen wires, transistors, and a step-down sequence of empty sunstones (to prevent overload) running into the central bank of the enginarium. Moment of truth time.

"Alright HAL, If my math's right, and it always is, the suit should be able to power the ship on minimum for a couple days, or we can go all out for about an hour...but let's take this easy, say 15% power at first?" The suit begins it's semi-audible humming as my systems draw more and more power through the Aetheric Shard.

I don't have the Jury Rig move (yet), so this is maybe just Defy Danger +INT? Regardless, I'm going to save time and just roll +INT for you to do with as you need to to keep things moving. :v:
Doing Something: 8

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 29, 2015

• Locked thread