Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

blue squares posted:

Even with adblock disabled it still doesn't work.

Do you have any other ad blocking or script disabling extensions installed? CC's player got super finicky about a year ago and chokes to death on the first ad break if you have anything at all running like that. I found no way around the ads other than piracy, although I normally just DVR it.

Try using edge/IE or running chromium with no extensions or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

IRQ posted:

Do you have any other ad blocking or script disabling extensions installed? CC's player got super finicky about a year ago and chokes to death on the first ad break if you have anything at all running like that. I found no way around the ads other than piracy, although I normally just DVR it.

Try using edge/IE or running chromium with no extensions or something?
During Stewart's run, I never had any issues. The ads wouldn't even load, it would just skip right to the next segment.

I threw it on Edge and it loaded right up, but at the end of the first segment I'm stuck on "Your content will return shortly." I have not installed ANYTHING on Edge.

I also reinstalled flash.

I didn't know the show is on Hulu, though. I can look into that.

Thanks for the help so far, everyone.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 3, 2015

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.

BigRed0427 posted:

Last night's episode was great. The night before not so much. Klepper and Wood are good but that whole segment on anti-bias training didn't work I think. It just wen't on way to long and I thought we were past the "Let's be contrary and try to ironically piss off the person were interviewing" style of correspondent piece.

Couldn't disagree more. I thought the anti bias training was one of the funnier segments I've seen in a long time.

knob
May 25, 2005

knob

blue squares posted:

During Stewart's run, I never had any issues.

It seems really weird to me. Some days (rarely), I get the same issues as you, but switching browsers (usually from Chrome to Firefox) or clicking to the next section before the commercials start would usually solve it and eventually the issue would go away all together.

And I've always used adblock for it. I've never had to flat out disable it to get it to run.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Pillow Hat posted:

Couldn't disagree more. I thought the anti bias training was one of the funnier segments I've seen in a long time.

It was okay, but I feel like correspondent segments live and die on whether they have any substance to go along with the jokes. I didn't feel like the bias training one had much of that.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

blue squares posted:

During Stewart's run, I never had any issues. The ads wouldn't even load, it would just skip right to the next segment.

I threw it on Edge and it loaded right up, but at the end of the first segment I'm stuck on "Your content will return shortly." I have not installed ANYTHING on Edge.

I also reinstalled flash.

I didn't know the show is on Hulu, though. I can look into that.

Thanks for the help so far, everyone.

Have you tried xfinitytv.comcast.net? That's how I used to watch it at work when CC's site gives me issues.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I watch using the Comedy Central app on my phone now and there's hardly any ads.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I just realized it works fine on my laptop. I'll just use that.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.

raditts posted:

It was okay, but I feel like correspondent segments live and die on whether they have any substance to go along with the jokes. I didn't feel like the bias training one had much of that.

It's interesting you say that. There are segments I enjoy because of the political/social messages being conveyed that I just can't really see the comedy in. This was kind of the reverse in that I thought it was hilarious, but I agree that it was lacking in that respect. And it probably could have been more. I wish they had exposed Bo Dietl as more of the racist blockhead that he is.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Arby's spokesperson Bo Dietl.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I'm enjoying the show, but there's something sort of monotone about Trevor's voice that is not sitting right with me. Like there was no real tonal difference between his comments about the killings and the rest of the show. It's the same kind of dissonance I'm having with New Colbert, because everything he says sounds like a scripted bit, too, even when he's trying to be earnest.

Maybe I just miss the fact that you could always tell when Jon was in "I am legit hosed up about this" mode or "I am super pissed about this" mode, and he was better at making it seem like he wasn't just reading everything off a prompter.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Edit: wrong thread

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Pillow Hat posted:

It's interesting you say that. There are segments I enjoy because of the political/social messages being conveyed that I just can't really see the comedy in. This was kind of the reverse in that I thought it was hilarious, but I agree that it was lacking in that respect. And it probably could have been more. I wish they had exposed Bo Dietl as more of the racist blockhead that he is.

They've had Bo Dietl on correspondent segments lots of times over the years. I can never tell whether he's supposed to be playing a character or not because he says some really dumb outrageous poo poo that nobody could possibly believe, but then he also shows up on actual cable news.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

raditts posted:

They've had Bo Dietl on correspondent segments lots of times over the years. I can never tell whether he's supposed to be playing a character or not because he says some really dumb outrageous poo poo that nobody could possibly believe, but then he also shows up on actual cable news.

He's not, he's just Bo Dietl, and has exactly the thoughts and feelings you expect a man named Bo Dietl to hold.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Steve Vader posted:

Maybe I just miss the fact that you could always tell when Jon was in "I am legit hosed up about this" mode or "I am super pissed about this" mode, and he was better at making it seem like he wasn't just reading everything off a prompter.

it took jon stewart a while to develop that mode. Honestly think it happened after 9/11

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

After watching the Month of Zen I am much more willing to give Trevor a lot of time to find his voice. Jon was almost exactly like Trevor in the first few years of his run. It's a marathon, not a race. Honestly I'm very happy with how he has begun his leg of the war on bullshit.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

There's a weirdness to some jokes, since Noah isn't well versed in the particulars of american pop culture politics. Like I sincerely doubt he'd be the one to come up with a Bloomberg is a Mouse slam.

But he's demonstrated an easygoing charm and an earnest inquisitive mind - two far more essential traits.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

FrensaGeran posted:

After watching the Month of Zen I am much more willing to give Trevor a lot of time to find his voice. Jon was almost exactly like Trevor in the first few years of his run. It's a marathon, not a race. Honestly I'm very happy with how he has begun his leg of the war on bullshit.

He is not funny.

I watched a few shows, and it reminded me of watching a friend bombing a Karaoke rendition of Adel "Someone Like You"
You just cringe and think, maybe he will do better on the next punch line.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Dahn posted:

He is not funny.

I watched a few shows, and it reminded me of watching a friend bombing a Karaoke rendition of Adel "Someone Like You"

Thank you for voluntarily singling yourself out as a confirmed person with Bad Taste so I don't have to take you seriously.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Dahn posted:

He is not funny.

Well, that's just like, your opinion, man.

and it's wrong

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

Dahn posted:

He is not funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUwCLCNFSRI

You know who thinks he's funny?

Bing.

(Comedy Central has been putting up secret ads for the show on Google, accessed only through google)

Things like "race" "religion" and "net worth"

also recommend hypnosis, juice and australian

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FrensaGeran posted:

Yea I really don't think anyone can run out of the gate perfect in a thing like this. Even if there wasn't the air of 'THIS is the guy replacing Jon' it'd be rough. Dude is off to a good start, though, I'm more than willing to give him some time to settle in if he can provide good laughs to begin with.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

realtalk i hated jon stewart when he first started

i finally turned around on him when they aired this episode

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/5x4isp/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-kick-in-the-balkans--99---missile-command

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

That's a normal reaction because Jon sucked for a good year or two after taking over.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Trevor Noah has plenty of time to find his footing, but he's done well so far and he's got plenty of time to improve and make this "his show." And he hasn't mugged for the cameras after telling a joke like Jon Stewart did for however number of years. He will do just fine. We won't be pining for the days of Jon Stewart if he keeps this up.

He'll either do that or use this strong start as an excuse to get stale, boring, and repetitive like John Oliver has this year.

agatona
Oct 29, 2010

I'm happy that TDS is funny again. Trevor is doing a fine job. I'm back to watching the show on a regular basis.

I love Jon but he stopped being funny to me for a long time.

I hope they do more segments like the Trump/African leaders bit. A bit of international news would go a long way for me.

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

Pleased to see my african waifu, Jessica Williams, finally showed up tonight on the daily show with Trevor Noah.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

agatona posted:

I'm happy that TDS is funny again. Trevor is doing a fine job. I'm back to watching the show on a regular basis.

I love Jon but he stopped being funny to me for a long time.

I hope they do more segments like the Trump/African leaders bit. A bit of international news would go a long way for me.

What solidified it for me was the rant on gun control. Jon, for years, has responded to those events with a weary sigh. Trevor hasn't been beaten down by years of bullshit yet, and is still capable of getting proper pissed off. I love it. It makes me feel less bad for being more like Jon lately.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Trevor and Seth constantly giggling went from annoying to endearing as the interview progressed.

TDS's angle was that we've had this conversation before and it pays out the same way. Larry's take was "here's how it plays out each time". Decent for a TNS skit, but nothing worth looking into if you gave up on Nightly already.

Really surprisingly even for TNS to just re-air the sit-down with Bernie Sanders so soon. I'm guessing something wrong happened behind the scenes so they resorted to it for their second act. Also weird that Larry's such a creature of the panel format that he's still doing it with one guest. I'm guessing a second panelist had to drop last minute?

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Anyone know what the beef was between Jon and Billy Joel?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Steve Vader posted:

Anyone know what the beef was between Jon and Billy Joel?

Didn't he talk about that in one of his final shows? I think he just randomly talked poo poo about Joel during a show and he held a grudge or something.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

He just mentioned cracked wise about Billy Joel as someone who took offense and got mad at him about something.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Echo Chamber posted:

Trevor and Seth constantly giggling went from annoying to endearing as the interview progressed.

TDS's angle was that we've had this conversation before and it pays out the same way. Larry's take was "here's how it plays out each time". Decent for a TNS skit, but nothing worth looking into if you gave up on Nightly already.

Really surprisingly even for TNS to just re-air the sit-down with Bernie Sanders so soon. I'm guessing something wrong happened behind the scenes so they resorted to it for their second act. Also weird that Larry's such a creature of the panel format that he's still doing it with one guest. I'm guessing a second panelist had to drop last minute?

What are you referring to? TNS had multiple panelists on Monday.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I'm watching last night's episode right now. Trevor is going to be fine. This one convinced me.

Edit: Also, YAY! Jessica finally showed up. :neckbeard:

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 7, 2015

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Nichael posted:

What are you referring to? TNS had multiple panelists on Monday.
Two of them were TNS contributors.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Okay, this was the best Daily Show in a long time. On Point.

(Jon's finale doesn't count. That was a Celebration, not an episode.)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

J Willy OUT.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

It's not like the daily show was super awesome every night. I have watched every day it's on since like 2003. Trevor is doing great when the writing is great and I'm sure when bullshit mountain starts the next big eruption we will all love the guy.

I also love Jessica so much. drat it J Willy why didn't you want the job? Or is that just what you say because Comedy Central didn't want you to host? Please be on my TV more.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Anyone else noticed Trevor so far avoided going after Fox News directly? He's either trying to distance himself from some of Stewart's best Fox-bashing moments, or he's just saving that venom for something even more hosed up than usual.

Fragmented posted:

I also love Jessica so much. drat it J Willy why didn't you want the job? Or is that just what you say because Comedy Central didn't want you to host? Please be on my TV more.
Lean the gently caress away from me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Can't you just try it for a week?

• Locked thread