Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I said come in! posted:

"Kevin is a washed-up has been, who foolishly thinks people like him"

:lol: loving irony

Derek Smart posted:

Not that I support the use of any such blacklist, but think about this for a moment. And why him? I wasn’t even ON that list. Like, ever. And I’m Derek Smart.

e: efb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

I said come in! posted:

Derek doesn't think people like him (I don't think)

EDIT: "There was an indie dev named Phil Fish. He was awesome, but caustic and a bit unhinged as some would say."

is that what we call a talentless hack these days? I could think of worse. Like, thief.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 5, 2015

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Jesus H, this is the most embarrassing thing to happen to humanity. Especially the people who spend more than a hundred dollars on this "game".

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Ahahahahaha that line from Derek's post is the best.

"Not that I support the use of any such blacklist, but think about this for a moment. And why him? I wasn’t even ON that list. Like, ever. And I’m Derek Smart."

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

I said come in! posted:

Well Derek and one of his minions didn't do that well in the below conversation, I guess that's him getting back at Kevin, you don't laugh at the Smart, you laugh with the Smart.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

I feel like I just read timecube

DadWilly
Jul 1, 2003

hakimashou posted:

I've got a bit of a conundrum.

I pledged I think 70 bucks for a space fighter plane thing at some point not long after the Kickstarter ended. Some time ago I lost faith in the game and in Chris Roberts, right around the time I first heard the term "the verse."

Now, 70 bucks is 70 bucks and I could use it to buy Fallout 4 or a nice bottle of wine or something.

Here's what is holding me back- if I get a refund, I won't be able to join any future class-action lawsuit.

I would rather get some sum lower than 70 dollars back if it also means I get to be party to a class-action suit against Christ Roberts and the rest of those shitbirds.

This is surely more cut and dry for people with more money to claw back, but for me it's just 70 bucks, and even if I only got 50 cents on the dollar in a future settlement, it would be worth 35 dollars to me to be a party to the settlement.

The risk to me is "what if the game comes out and there is no class-action lawsuit."

In that case, I can't get my money back and I'm stuck with an ugly space ship in an abominable game full of people I am contemptuous of.

So, do I go for the refund or hold out?

Just get your $70 back. Consider the inability to join a lawsuit later (never) as rear end in a top hat tax and a life lesson.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Eonwe posted:

It's just not good

Pillars and Shadowrun own tho

Pillars of Eternity already has a freaking expansion.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Derrek Smart post broke my irony meter. I have sever lacerations on my upper body.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Has there been any game that advertises that development is being led by [That One Guy] from [Successful Game You Liked] that wasn't a total trainwreck?

Always seems to be a trainwreck when there is that one guy who makes it as much about them as the game itself.

Obsidian has a little of this with Avellone and Sawyer but they're quick to credit the rest of the team and didn't run it as an ego project

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
There will be no class action lawsuit. By the time the investors realize their money has been wasted CIG will be bankrupt. And even then they will continue to believe and start their own kickstarters to buy the star citizen assets/code and finish it up on their own.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

The Glumslinger posted:

I feel like I just read timecube
Imagine four .jpegs on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the .jpeg nearest the cliff is pledged to the back of the line of premium .jpegs and takes the place of the first .jpeg. The formerly first .jpeg becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth is delayed two weeks.

Star Citizen works the same way.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

The Saddest Robot posted:

There will be no class action lawsuit. By the time the investors realize their money has been wasted CIG will be bankrupt. And even then they will continue to believe and start their own kickstarters to buy the star citizen assets/code and finish it up on their own.

"We only need $250, 000 to buy the assets from them and we can TOTALLY complete what they set out to do!"

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this is my favorite version of my av

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I hope some people will at least learn from this fiasco that every dollar you donate to a kickstarter way way way past its original goal will in all likelihood be converted into coke lines on a prostitutes rear end and nothing else. You're probably making the prospect of the game being released worse as the devs have no loving clue what else to do with all that cash.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 5, 2015

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mercury_Storm posted:

I hope some people will at least learn from this fiasco that every dollar you donate to a kickstarter way past its original goal will in all likelihood be converted into coke lines on a prostitutes rear end and nothing else. You're probably making the prospect of the game being released worse as the devs have no loving clue what else to do with all that cash.

A lot of people should also probably understand that those kickstarters are actually in fact already funded by private investors that you never hear about. Despite the impression given off by gaming kickstarters, most of the time those are just acted as pre-orders and nothing else, even the ones that claim reaching certain goals will mean more features.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Man the number of people who refuse to believe that SC was in development for four years is amazing. I love the cognitive dissonance required to be on /r/starcitizen these days.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Eonwe posted:

this is my favorite version of my av

It is really fantastic imo

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

I said come in! posted:

A lot of people should also probably understand that those kickstarters are actually in fact already funded by private investors that you never hear about. Despite the impression given off by gaming kickstarters, most of the time those are just acted as pre-orders and nothing else, even the ones that claim reaching certain goals will mean more features.
yeah like, most of the examples of successful kickstarters like FTL were actually by far mostly funded by bigger investors and the crowdfunding aspect isn't actually primarily to raise money, it's to get people more invested and interested in the product

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Innerguard posted:

"We only need $250, 000 to buy the assets from them and we can TOTALLY complete what they set out to do!"

Star citizen made by star shitizens :laffo: it would be worse than loverslab*

*If you don't already know what that is then please just disregard this post, I don't want to be the one responsible for introducing you. also don't look it up at work.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

IronicDongz posted:

yeah like, most of the examples of successful kickstarters like FTL were actually by far mostly funded by bigger investors and the crowdfunding aspect isn't actually primarily to raise money, it's to get people more invested and interested in the product

All of the big gaming kickstarters to date have been done by people who are veterans in the game industry. They are people who have been in this industry since day one if not close to that. They are business people and despite popular opinion would never put their funding in the hands of random strangers on the internet. That is horrible business.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Man the number of people who refuse to believe that SC was in development for four years is amazing. I love the cognitive dissonance required to be on /r/starcitizen these days.

Summary: Paying a bunch of game industry people like artists and programmers for a year to make a prototype is not game development.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

All I really understand right now is that the FPS module was suppose to have been out in a matter of weeks, its been 3 months now since the delay.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Looks like Derek is dragging my friend into this in his own way. She showed me the email and then deleted it. The only reason I have a picture of it is because Wulf recontacted other people (including me) to prove just how innocent and how it was all a joke.

Derek is a butt. My friend left the Star Citizen community entirely after Oct 2013. She hasn't logged in to RSI anything because gently caress it why.

Edit: got a text from friend. She said it was a different image. I just checked it out it's my own. So sorry about that confusion. So I thought somehow Derek had gotten an uncensored version when in fact he had not. If he had received an unedited version it would have most likely come from Wulf or someone he had showed the pic to to prove to people his "innecence".

Whatever.

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 5, 2015

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Derek is this a cry for help

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

I said come in! posted:

All I really understand right now is that the FPS module was suppose to have been out in a matter of weeks, its been 3 months now since the delay.

They're having trouble keeping the crosshair centered. It kept flying off to the side and not coming back.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

It's actually something like 18 months late.

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

I am not asking for a refund, but I am asking Kickstarter: where is my game?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Star Citizen.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Raskolnikov posted:

Looks like Derek is dragging my friend into this in his own way. She showed me the email and then deleted it. The only reason I have a picture of it is because Wulf recontacted other people (including me) to prove just how innocent and how it was all a joke.

So Derek's copy did not come from me or my friend because I censor everything. Also I think Derek is a butt. My friend left the Star Citizen community entirely after Oct 2013. She hasn't logged in to RSI anything because gently caress it why.

So a no-go on those juicy Dickwulf chat screenshots? :( It'd be a shame to let those go to waste, now that the cat's out of the bag, but I'll understand if not too.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Substitute the name kevin with derek and it would read exactly the same

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Reddit is the worst website on the whole internet and "redditor" is a mark of shame like "registered sex offender," or would be in a sane world.

It's some real mindfuck that Conde Nast, publisher of something as worthy and erudite and urbane as The New Yorker also is yoked to something as detestable as Reddit.com. They should divest.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
Here is a gift for this awesome thread, a game that is everything that Star Citizen promises to be, but actually exists right now. Here are some of its features:

Procedurally generated universe, with life bearing worlds having procedural flora and fauna.
Seamless planetary landings
A MMO with multiple empires and ship to ship combat
Custom ship design and creation
Multi crew ships with each crew member controlling a different part of the ship
The ability to walk around in the ship, and defend it from boarding parties
Custom Character Creation
Inter species breeding (if this is your thing)
and much more I'm probably forgetting

The graphics are terrible though, and the lag can be unbearable.

The game? Shores of Hazeron

This game is literally created by one man, and the team of 300 can't even come close to a game of this scope. The space whales should be giving this crazy dude money instead.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Solvency posted:

do you mean like pokemon or like bad mass effect fanfiction

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Well, if you count the actual time they've been working on the actual game rather than prancing about in mo-cap studios, trying to get Sandi her dream job, making commercials, scoffing donuts... Probably actually far less than two years!

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Substitute the name kevin with derek and it would read exactly the same

The Star Citizen Conspiracy
MEET DEREK SMART - INDUSTRY DIRTBAG
Internet, meet Derek Smart. You won’t like Derek Smart after this.
Derek is a washed-up has been, who foolishly thinks people like him; yet most of us who know who Derek Smart is, either 1) ignore him or 2) talk & laugh behind his back
Derek Smart is a failure who thinks that name dropping and picking on other high-profile industry people, is a sport. He does it for attention because, well, otherwise nobody pays attention to Derek.
Derek is sad about that.
Go online and search for “Derek Smart”. There’s your answer.
Before we get into how Derek Smart, in a momentary lapse (he gets those quite often) of judgement, lost his mind and decided to pick on the one person best left alone, let’s set up the background.
Here is a choice statement from Derek pinned to the top of his feed:
“The indie scene today can be articulated by defining it as the greatest collection of over privileged kids in the history of this industry.”
I am going to let that sink in for a bit.
Do you know why he added the “Smart” to his Twitter name? Because Derek is a man with zero redeeming qualities. And he knows it. Having been derided so many times, alienated more people in the industry than the Republican party did to their voters, he remains completely isolated. At least from those of us who, well,don’t give a poo poo about Derek Smart.
For an example of how far Derek Smart will go to attack people - seemingly out of nowhere, let’s take the recent more visible controversies first.
There was an indie dev named Phil Fish. He was awesome, but caustic and a bit unhinged as some would say.
Smart started a beef with Phil Fish, again, out of nowhere. It ended very badly and it played out in full view of the public. Though the digital footprint is there, this piece is not about giving you access to click-bait. But start here:
http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion-30/phil-fish-vs-Derek-Smart-what-did-i-miss-1446547/
Then there was that time when Derek decided to pick on - and attack - Elizabeth. Again, out of nowhere.
http://elizabethbanner.tumblr.com/post/10933537219/so-here-are-some-screencaps-of-Smartgate-for-those
Before I forget, Rob Fahey wrote a brilliant opinion piece about “shock jocks” in our industry. You should read it.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-08-01-enough-of-the-games-media-shock-jocks
Derek Smart is so horrid and toxic to the industry, that even the very gaming media (yeah, even those corrupt folks) had opted to completely BLACKLIST him from the industry. I mean, like completely.
http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2014/12/gamergate-patrick-klepek-leaves-giant-bomb-following-blacklisting-allegations/
http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2014/12/gamergate-game-journo-pros-interview-blacklisting/
Not that I support the use of any such blacklist, but think about this for a moment. And why him? I wasn’t even ON that list. Like, ever. And I’m Derek Smart.
Over the years, he has picked on various high level industry people, including the media. His famous Twitter fight with Jim Sterling is a thing of legend. If you know who Jim is, then you know who prevailed in that one.
I know several industry people who Derek has dealt with in the past. Not ONE of them - not ONE - has ANYTHING nice to say about him. Let me repeat that: NOT A SINGLE ONE.
In fact, my Twitter DMs and Facebook messages lit up like a Christmas tree yesterday with discussions about him.
etc.
etc.
holy moly

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

IronicDongz posted:

what's wrong with a race of hot blue lesbians? :downs:

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

IronicDongz posted:

A bit of both I believe. And I think it works with other players.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Solvency posted:

Here is a gift for this awesome thread, a game that is everything that Star Citizen promises to be, but actually exists right now. Here are some of its features:

Procedurally generated universe, with life bearing worlds having procedural flora and fauna.
Seamless planetary landings
A MMO with multiple empires and ship to ship combat
Custom ship design and creation
Multi crew ships with each crew member controlling a different part of the ship
The ability to walk around in the ship, and defend it from boarding parties
Custom Character Creation
and much more I'm probably forgetting

The graphics are terrible though, and the lag can be unbearable.

The game? Shores of Hazeron

This game is literally created by one man, and the team of 300 can't even come close to a game of this scope. The space whales should be giving this crazy dude money instead.

Ooh and it's got ships from Star Trek!

How much does it cost per month?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

CrazyLoon posted:

So a no-go on those juicy Dickwulf chat screenshots? :( It'd be a shame to let those go to waste, now that the cat's out of the bag, but I'll understand if not too.

Probably not??? I'll think about it. Two weeks.

• Locked thread