Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy

OhDearGodNo posted:

You don't know the difference between VMs and hosts?

Holy poo poo.

:laffo:

I love watching Ocotopode score 10/10 and stick the landing in the mental gymnastics events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

no_recall posted:

Peter Molyneux - Failed. badly.

Lord British - Failing, quite badly.

Who else is on the chopping block?
Good news!

Brad McQuaid got funding! :suicide:

Of course, this means that somewhere out there there's a person that thinks McQuaid's more likely to complete his game than Chris Roberts is....

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

quote:

Since publishing our original stories, we have been contacted by, and are currently interviewing, additional sources corroborating a variety of the reported allegations.

:jackbud:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

tooterfish posted:

Guys, guys, while you were busy arguing with Octopode something happened!

Bluff: called. Your move CIG! :clint:

Not just called, but raised.

“Since publishing our original stories, we have been contacted by, and are currently interviewing, additional sources corroborating a variety of the reported allegations”

e:f;b… as always. :cry:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Wafflz posted:

The real image since no star citizen thread should be without it

Oh Lordy!

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

OhDearGodNo posted:

Holy poo poo.

e: I just read what I wrote. I literally just wrote that you don't call Google to provision new hosts

You're arguing with a man that not only spent $1.5 big birds on Star Citizen, but continues to believe he hasn't been swindled

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy
Oh cool an interview with the videographer who doesn't do engineering/design/financials but totes talks with everyone guys.

Thx for alleviating my concerns, CIG :thumbsup:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

MeLKoR posted:

Oh Lordy!

He's also a nudist hth

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

quote:

Another one of the common issues brought up when people criticize Star Citizen and CIG, is that it’s bleeding employees or that studios working under Chris Roberts are shutting down left and right. During many large scale projects where contract workers are involved they sometimes come in and go out every couple of months depending on the scale of the project. Some people seem to think that this is happening more often with Star Citizen than other large scale projects. In your time working in the industry, would you say the contractors brought in or let go by CIG is higher, lower or on par to the standard AAA project?

Thomas Hennessy: Well my background is in the film/television industry more than games, so I can’t really compare it to other game studios, but to me it does not seem like we are “bleeding” employees. Not every job is going to be a good fit for every employee, that’s just the way the world works. Chris has a very strong vision, and sets the bar high. It’s unfortunate, but reality dictates that some people either are not capable of hitting that bar, or don’t want the stress of trying to hit it. We are trying to do something here that has never been done before, and will hopefully be considered ground breaking when done, but it’s not going to be easy. Throughout that process people will come and go for a variety of reasons, but as long as Chris is driving the ship, the mission remains unchanged.

I think that the fact that our development is so open, and many of our employees are interacting with the fans on a regular basis, makes some of the turnover seem worse than it is, especially when it’s a fan favorite employee who happened to be featured on camera a lot in our BTS content, or was active in our forums or on reddit, but at the end of the day, these are still human beings with different wants, needs, and goals. Sometimes those wants, needs, and goals lead them somewhere else.

Translation: Chris yells at people a lot

e: of course The Escapist is upping the anti-here. I imagine their web-traffic for the last week looks like the start of a mountain range, commercially this story is amazing for them.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 6, 2015

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Deciding to threaten the Escapist was a bad move, they have an incentive to bury CIG now.

At this point I dunno how any of us ever thought Chris Roberts could produce anything decent outside a comedy nightclub.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

The Escapist posted:

“Since publishing our original stories, we have been contacted by, and are currently interviewing, additional sources corroborating a variety of the reported allegations”

:allears:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Yeah boi!
Figured so, Escapist really can't lose this unless its proven they maliciously attacked Star Citizen with intent to defame which obviously they didn't because there's no reason whatsoever they would do that.

Oh man I have to go check that reddit thread about what they're gonna do when Escapist apologises.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Man, I tuned out on the whole Star Citizen thing months ago.

I'm a huge fan of space sim and I have found that entire genre to be starved, so I was just honestly excited that someone was gonna get tens of millions of dollars to make one that could do a lot more than you typically can expect within the purview of a development budget and lifecycle.

Like, I was honestly excited!

Now I check up on how that's all going and oh my dear lord in heaven.

It's slightly like stepping out of a cryostasis chamber into the brave new world you had been promised and you discover it's turned out as an anarchic wartorn hellhole.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Onmi posted:

So William Usher conducted an interview with someone on the CiG team. Look for contradictions I say

http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2015/10/star-citizen-interview-cig-employee-addresses-financial-allegations-project-concerns/

Who is William Usher and why is that interview so bad, do you know? And by bad, I don't mean just the answers, the questions were terrible too.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

OhDearGodNo posted:

Holy poo poo.

e: I just read what I wrote. I literally just wrote that you don't call Google to provision new hosts

I like the idea that you think there is a meaningful distinction when it comes to GCE.

And you can try to spin it however you want--but remember you followed-up by expressing incredulity at the idea a new host could be instantiated with an HTTP request.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

…the sentence following that is fun too. Essentially, if CIG's invitation is still open, they're willing to find even more sources. :neckbeard:

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Dear Sandi,

Using the term human being in the position that you hold is completely disgusting but well within the boundaries of your power. You are like King Joffrey, you can do whatever you goddamn please. Which is why I just can't wait to see your game crash.

Sincerely,
Star Faggotzen

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

And here Ben thinks the worst is behind them.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Itzena posted:

Good news!

Brad McQuaid got funding! :suicide:

Of course, this means that somewhere out there there's a person that thinks McQuaid's more likely to complete his game than Chris Roberts is....

The best part is that during their initial attempts at funding, Brad took 30k of the 150 that they raised and spent it on personal expenses. He claimed it was for a medical emergency.

I was pretty into the Vanguard pre launch community and this Star Citizen thing has basically the same development trajectory except SOE isn't going to come in and ball SC out.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

quote:

Update: The Escapist, notwithstanding Cloud Imperium Games' notice and posting, stands by its coverage of Star Citizen and intends to continue to investigate the developing story. Since publishing our original stories, we have been contacted by, and are currently interviewing, additional sources corroborating a variety of the reported allegations. Additionally, if Mr. Roberts' offer for The Escapist to "meet the developers making the game and see how we're building one of the most ambitious PC games first hand" remains open, we take the opportunity to accept such invitation so as to hopefully provide the public with sufficient information and opportunity to vet such sources' allegations and claims for themselves. We have also communicated the foregoing directly to Cloud Imperium Games.

tl;dr: escapist saying "Come get some!"

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Well, yeah. It'll take a while for it to make it all the way around to being in front of him.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Honestly, this is gonna get worse before it gets better.

IF it gets better.

Well, the entertainment WILL get better.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

AP posted:

Who is William Usher and why is that interview so bad, do you know? And by bad, I don't mean just the answers, the questions were terrible too.

Hes... GAMERGAAAAATE!

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Fucking Star Citizen True Believers are passive-aggressive douchebags. Sorry if I have the ability to use my critical thinking skills. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, motherfuckers.

That's me trying way too hard to fit in here. Please accept me, I need validation. I'm very depressed.
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The Shitizens are still talking about the game as though it's going to be released ANY DAY NOW, and not in Two Weeks.
It's honestly scary and embarrassing that these dummies have bank accounts, and are allowed to manage their own finances.

I do wonder how some of them don't drown in the shower.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

no_recall posted:

Peter Molyneux - Failed. badly.

Lord British - Failing, quite badly.

Who else is on the chopping block?

Wait, what drama is going on with shroud of the avatar? I don't read the e-mails, but I get weekly e-mails from the devs about updates to the game. It seems to get updated quite often and you can actually play it right now.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

he's so close to getting it....

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

More sources are reaching out. Derek's next missive drops tomorrow.

Thing are looking worse and worse. It's not like current or recently fired employees are the only ones talking about toxic treatment. It's just drat near impossible to believe this is a conspiracy of haters building an anonymous case on lies, for no reason other than petty frustrations or jealousy.

If half the rumors about employee treatment were true, then dammit Sandi, I think it's time to pursue your acting dream full time. Seriously. GET OUT.

On the Hennessy interview, I respect the guy for taking the classy route and talking positive about CIG. But we all know how he really feels, at least about Sandi. The sooner she's gone the better.

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Fucking Star Citizen True Believers are passive-aggressive douchebags. Sorry if I have the ability to use my critical thinking skills. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, motherfuckers.

That's me trying way too hard to fit in here. Please accept me, I need validation. I'm very depressed.
Grimey Drawer

A Neurotic Jew posted:

he's so close to getting it....

touching the poo?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

BluestreakBTHR posted:

The Shitizens are still talking about the game as though it's going to be released ANY DAY NOW, and not in Two Weeks.
It's honestly scary and embarrassing that these dummies have bank accounts, and are allowed to manage their own finances.

I do wonder how some of them don't drown in the shower.

Maybe they're just confused about the purpose and function of their bidets?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
All of this will be leading up to CitCon on Saturday. It could not possibly be getting any better. CIG has to decide how to respond while Escapist may very well drop another bomb right before the biggest day of the year for the Cult of Christ Roberts, Game Developer.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
This loving owns

Everyone and everything involved is a train wreck

This is basically the hell thread

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
Kickstarter is one of the worst things to happen to games in a long time. Investing is fine but kick starter/crowdfunding is not investing.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

G0RF posted:

More sources are reaching out. Derek's next missive drops tomorrow.

Thing are looking worse and worse. It's not like current or recently fired employees are the only ones talking about toxic treatment. It's just drat near impossible to believe this is a conspiracy of haters building an anonymous case on lies, for no reason other than petty frustrations or jealousy.

If half the rumors about employee treatment were true, then dammit Sandi, I think it's time to pursue your acting dream full time. Seriously. GET OUT.

On the Hennessy interview, I respect the guy for taking the classy route and talking positive about CIG. But we all know how he really feels, at least about Sandi. The sooner she's gone the better.

:circlefap:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

So did Sandi marry Roberts because of his Star Citizen scam or what?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nopantsjack posted:

Problem is even EVE can't do EVE without it having to drop to 10x slow mo whenever anything interesting happens.

CCP have been pushing a lot of gameplay development/features to lessen the "thousand on thousand fights" because it was killing their servers etc.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

EminusSleepus posted:

tl;dr: escapist saying "Come get some!"

Yeah its pretty interestingly aggressive in a way, they're calling CIG's bluff and also offering the visit as a sorta dual reconciliation but also as part of their further investigation. Will be interesting to see what CIG does next.
The easiest thing for them to do is back down while saving face by saying its a distraction from the game but they may not want to let Escapist visit now so what they do there would be telling.

Of course so far they seem to be extremely stupid so it wouldn't be surprising to see them carry on attempting to sue but I highly doubt it, by now any real legal team they have will have told them if they wanted to sue they shouldn't have had Croberts go mental and shouldn't have posted their legal threat publically.

It'll be fun to see how the faithful react though, my guess is anyone less certain will detach from the group and they'll get even more self-isolating and hardcore.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Doctor Butts posted:

So did Sandi marry Roberts because of his Star Citizen scam or what?

He's a Hollywood movie producer, don't you know? :haw:

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Szcwczuk posted:

Kickstarter is one of the worst things to happen to games in a long time. Investing is fine but kick starter/crowdfunding is not investing.

pretty much a verbatim quote of everyone trying to explain kickstarter in the awful ks thread

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Can't wait to read the next rambling letter from Chris and/or his lawyer. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Noyemi K posted:

pretty much a verbatim quote of everyone trying to explain kickstarter in the awful ks thread

Kickstarter puts money in the devs hands before a game exists, eliminating the pesky need to make a game to get money

Owns so hard

• Locked thread