Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Madcosby posted:

what Roberts should do now is tell every employee a different name for their next jpg so when Smart reveals it, Chris finds his mole

or he should just finish the game

no, outing the mole is more important

An excerpt from Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Smart by John Le Carré:

quote:

The customary Tuesday meetings were discontinued, and Lesnick found himself constantly harassed by Croberts either to go for donuts on some blurred errand, or to visit the other studios - Austin, Frankfurt, Manchester and the rest - as his personal envoy. He had a growing feeling that Croberts wanted him out of the way. When they talked, he felt the heavy strain of suspicion between them, so that even Lesnick seriously wondered whether the jokes was right and Croberts was unfit for his job. Pledges came in at the rate of two or even three every couple of hours and the JPEGs, according to the customers, remained excellent, but Croberts seldom commented. Occasionally the Redditors produced quibbles. More often they complained that releases were not possible since multi-crewing took them into uncharted areas: could we not ask Wingman or Wulf Knight to check? We could not, said Sandi. Not yet.

It was October. Lesnick had come back from Dunkin' Donuts, where he had been burying a scandal, to find Croberts living under siege. Printed blog posts and Something Awful threads lay strewn over the floor; new keycard readers had been fitted to the office doors. He had put the espresso maker on his desk, guarding it like a mother hen, and from the ceiling hung a baffler against electronic eavesdropping, a thing like an electric fan which constantly varied its pitch. In the three weeks Lesnick had been away, Croberts had become an old man.

'There are three of them and Derek Smart,' he said. 'Sweat them, Ben. Tempt them, bully them, give them whatever they eat. Tell them they're buying their way in with counterfeit money,' he ordered, barely looking up from his files. 'Tell them any drat thing. I need time.'

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Agrajag posted:

His only movie was WingCommander, no?

Not quite, he's credited as produced in Lord of War, Punisher and a couple other movies.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0730932/

Funny how they rank The Next Great Starship as a tv series...

Luigi Thirty posted:

There was some drama involving him and Kevin Costner that got him blackballed.

CR is working on his own Water World fiasco now...

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Welp. Operation: Give Me My Money Back (again) was a success. I sold my account to a friend after the DFM ended up being poo poo. He never did anything with it. I talked him into giving it back to me, and then requested a refund on the 28th. It just went through today:

Didn't even have the decency to cover the transaction fee. Whatever, I got way more out of it than I put in, so I call that a win. :v:

Who the hell is Twin Bros. GMBH though?

best i could Google up

http://www.firmenwissen.de/az/firmeneintrag/86167/8030273752/TWIN_BROS_GMBH.html

looks like they are shifting their money in all sorts of interesting ways to avoid taxes

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
since when is mark hamill AAA+

also what is all this pubes business

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Luigi Thirty posted:

Apparently Costner was contracted to the tune of $8 million to play the lead in "Taming Ben Taylor", a romcom. I found this summary of the film that the world was deprived of:

Taming Ben Taylor posted:

In Long Island, a vineyard owner, who longs for love, becomes interested in an attractive and steely real estate agent who is trying to persuade the man to sell his property to make way for a golf course.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Wafflz posted:

wtf is Twin Bros GMBH? how many companies is the money spread between?
Google tells be Twin Bros is Freyermuth's own production company, set up in 1995.

Wait, people are getting refunds from there? Isn't that just a tiny bit...loving irregular?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Who the hell is Twin Bros. GMBH though?

http://freyermuth.net/about-us

quote:

Ortwin Freyermuth is an internationally recognized and experienced entertainment and video game lawyer as well as a veteran production executive with 25 years of experience in the entertainment industry.
In 1995, Freyermuth produced “Das Boot – The Director’s Cut” under his production banner Twin Bros Productions. Freyermuth began his legal career in the entertainment industry as Director, Legal Affairs of Vestron International Inc. (1986-1988) where he handled, amongst other projects, the film “Dirty Dancing.”

You paid for a game, you got a refund from a movie company.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Clipperton posted:

since when is mark hamill AAA+

also what is all this pubes business

As a voice actor Mark Hamill is actually pretty drat great....

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Wafflz posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gesellschaft_mit_beschr%C3%A4nkter_Haftung

GmbH is the German equivalent of an LLC. I know this because of reading up on Madrigal Electromotive GmbH, a fictional international conglomerate in "Breaking Bad" that owned Los Pollos Hermanos and was used to facilitate the distribution of crystal meth throughout Eastern Europe.

Coincidence?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Wafflz posted:

Apparently it's a financial services company in Ausburg, Germany. People have been observing SC money moving through it as far back as 2012.

Edit: Seems to be related to whatshisname SIC's film production nonsense.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Dusty Lens posted:

Apparently it's a financial services company in Ausburg, Germany. People have been observing SC money moving through it as far back as 2012.

Edit: Seems to be related to whatshisname SIC's film production nonsense.

getting a refund from there definitely stinks something fierce that is unless they handle all of CIG's transactions

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Luigi Thirty posted:

Are there any other details on this?

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Unfunny Poster posted:

http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/settlements/11087/costner-failed-movie.html

Los Angeles, CA: (Mar-05-08) Kevin Costner brought a breach of contract lawsuit against Ascendant Pictures, over a deal to star in a romantic comedy whose financing fell apart. Costner stated in his suit that he was to be paid $8 million for the movie "Taming Ben Taylor," which was never made. Records show that Costner sued the Beverly Hills-based company in Los Angeles Superior Court in November 2005.

Costner, a multiple Oscar winner, maintained the firm breached a December 2004 promise to pay him to star in the film about a grouchy, divorced man who refuses to sell his failing vineyard to the golf course next door. Costner's legal counsel alleged that the company misrepresented its ability to produce the film with the intent to induce him to continually make himself available for it at a later. Apparently, Costner also worked on the screenplay for "Taming Ben Taylor" and started looking for a lead actress and a director, according to the lawsuit. Costner, 53, stated that he passed on other acting jobs because of Ascendant's alleged promises, including an $8.5 million deal to star in "The Contract."

As part of a settlement agreement reached, sources close to the case stated that the parties had resolved the dispute with an undisclosed deal. The terms of the actor's settlement with Ascendant Pictures, as well as a cross-complaint filed by the production company, were not divulged in a two-page document confirming the accord. [DAILY NEWS LOS ANGELES: COSTNER SETTLES OF FAILED FILM]

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Unfunny Poster posted:

Huge lawsuit and croberts is now blacklisted by the sag.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sorla78 posted:

http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/settlements/11087/costner-failed-movie.html

Los Angeles, CA: (Mar-05-08) Kevin Costner brought a breach of contract lawsuit against Ascendant Pictures, over a deal to star in a romantic comedy whose financing fell apart. Costner stated in his suit that he was to be paid $8 million for the movie "Taming Ben Taylor," which was never made. Records show that Costner sued the Beverly Hills-based company in Los Angeles Superior Court in November 2005.

Costner, a multiple Oscar winner, maintained the firm breached a December 2004 promise to pay him to star in the film about a grouchy, divorced man who refuses to sell his failing vineyard to the golf course next door. Costner's legal counsel alleged that the company misrepresented its ability to produce the film with the intent to induce him to continually make himself available for it at a later. Apparently, Costner also worked on the screenplay for "Taming Ben Taylor" and started looking for a lead actress and a director, according to the lawsuit. Costner, 53, stated that he passed on other acting jobs because of Ascendant's alleged promises, including an $8.5 million deal to star in "The Contract."

As part of a settlement agreement reached, sources close to the case stated that the parties had resolved the dispute with an undisclosed deal. The terms of the actor's settlement with Ascendant Pictures, as well as a cross-complaint filed by the production company, were not divulged in a two-page document confirming the accord. [DAILY NEWS LOS ANGELES: COSTNER SETTLES OF FAILED FILM]

So basically made promises they couldn't deliver on, which isn't abnormal for Hollywood, but got caught doing it to someone who didn't gently caress around? lmbo

theultimo posted:

Huge lawsuit and croberts is now blacklisted by the sag.

Wait what? Holy poo poo that's hilarious. It takes a lot to get blacklisted by SAG from my experience.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Unfunny Poster posted:

So basically made promises they couldn't deliver on

Well that's weird

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Unfunny Poster posted:

So basically made promises they couldn't deliver on, which isn't abnormal for Hollywood, but got caught doing it to someone who didn't gently caress around? lmbo

Wait what? Holy poo poo that's hilarious. It takes a lot to get blacklisted by SAG from my experience.

He isn't blacklisted by the SAG; Gary Oldman has left Star Wars out of respect for the SAG. But yeah, it's difficult to produce movies if your word isn't worth anything.

http://www.moviesonline.ca/movienews_1136.html

quote:

As we have been reporting for some time Gary Oldman has pulled out of Star Wars. Iinitially it was reported that he was fired from Lucas's Star Wars Episode 3. However it would seem that Gary quit out of support for the Screen Actors Guild, since this film violated his unions rules. The film is being made outside of the Screen Actors Guild, so all them union actors technically are not allowed to be in it, without being considered a "rat" so to speak.

Oldman's spokesman says

"Gary was excited and looking forward to working on the film. The snag is that the movie is being made without members of the Screen Actor's Guild.

"It means Gary would have been working illegally overseas. Out of respect and solidarity with the other members, he could not and would not consider violating the rules of his union.

sorla78 fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 7, 2015

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
what business does CIG money have over at a separate movie studio? Is the company involved with the production of SQ42 cutscenes or something?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh OK, that makes more sense.

We don't hire SAG guys all the time at work, but we're also smart enough not to piss off SAG to the point we get in trouble with the whole group.

Wonder if Roberts' issues stem back to the issues with the 1990s games that underpaid actors for their work.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Jethro_E7 posted:

Bootcha, you knew a long time ago about the family relationships at CIG earlier than most here. Is there an issue with Sandi there? Do you think things would have been better if they would have been up front from the start, or perhaps restricted Sandi to strictly a PR/CS role internally and not a 2ic role, as the marriage and statements from employees seem to support, or was her involvement a disaster from the start? (keeping in mind they underestimated the success of the crowdfunding)
I'm assuming you consider CR's pigheadedness about wanting "his vision" no matter the cost an additional, not linked problem?
Understand though, if given your situation, you don't want to comment.

Sandi was originally PR/CS, due to the fact this was initially slated as a "small project" intended to be a Wing Commander revival after the rights were purchased. She is enthusiastic, speaks clearly, and not unpleasant to look at during videos. All of these pluses, with the additional that it was a job that could easily be filled by someone CR knew and trusted. There's no problem with that.

The Marketing position got rolled into PR/CS around double digit millions hit, and the WC license deal fell through. The campaign to sell additional ships as they were planned was Sandi's plan, and to that end, whether you think this a con or not, it's been a great success under her stewardship.

The biggest issue I had within CIG was that Forum Mod that was flipping LTI ships and using that position to advertise it, which Sandi handled personally at my request.

As for whether or not they should have been upfront with the relationship: Professional relationships are a tricky thing to tactfully address. Considering all the bile the industry gets for women in prominent positions, it was more likely a "safe play" to keep it unspoken. As Derek has brought up, the risk of that is to claim "nepotism" with regards to management. This was more of an honest omission than any kind of secret conspiracy. The Roberts brothers is a different thing as they are both industry professionals, where as Sandi is a "newcomer". Certainly that can raise questions about qualifications, but there are other non-traditional industry folks who do fine. I remember there's an ex-Army Infantryman off in BioWare who writes well but had no experience prior to BioWare. I don't think being upfront or omissive would have made a difference in perception without these allegations popping up, but in this case with the media attention, it would have been better to address early, honest, and blunt.

Within the logistics of the project as a whole, Sandi is not 2IC. At the Santa Monica office, I cannot comment as I do not know the daily goings in that office.

Honestly I don't mind Derek asking for her credentials. This is poo poo that happens all the time. And I'm very certain that Sandi is not a racist or uses racist language. rear end in a top hat? Abrasive maybe, when arguments flare beyond reasonable discussion. Other language used is unknown to me, that's within HR. I would still hold her to the same standards as everyone else. These are my experiences. I do not know if these allegations are directly at Sandi, or more at CR but Sandi presents a "better" target of opportunity to get a rise. This all said, I do not poke the bear.

EDIT: If there is a problem at CIG and the project as a whole, it is not because of Sandi. That is my opinion.

Iron Tusk posted:

Do you as a for real investor and not a jpeg "investor" have the ability to ask them what the gently caress is going on? Can you ask them to show their numbers?

I have the ability to ask more directly what the gently caress is going on. My approach has been to act like a guest and not a boogeyman suit, because my profit share agreement can be nulled and returned for being an rear end in a top hat at their discretion (within reasonable proof thereof). I have also stated, past and presently, to them that showing numbers is a good way to quell allegations of fraud.

Bootcha fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 7, 2015

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

theultimo posted:

And you know how that turned out...
What on earth do you mean?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Welp I lasted a day this time

You have been put on probation until 2015-11-07 21:24. You can no longer post on the community forums and public chat channels.

You have been placed on probation for violation of Rule 1 - no personal attacks

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Bootcha posted:

Sandi was originally PR/CS...

I've never been bothered by Sandi tbh, I don't envy her at all

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
It looks like he broke a contract which is the one thing in Hollywood that is considered a mortal sin. You don't recover from that sort of blow.

Pity Party Animal
Jul 23, 2006
Outlander (2008) - produced by Ascendant Pictures

Budget: $47 million
Box office: $7,033,68

http://www.ign.com/articles/2009/04/21/outlander-interview

Chris Roberts should not be trusted with money.

Dapper Dan posted:

It looks like he broke a contract which is the one thing in Hollywood that is considered a mortal sin. You don't recover from that sort of blow.

Huh. That explains why http://www.ascendantpictures.com/ stops updating after 2008.

http://www.ascendantpictures.com/team.html
Ortwin Freyermuth was involved with Croberts at Ascendant too.
edit: Apparently he's a CIG co-founder. Welp I feel dumb

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bootcha posted:

The Marketing position got rolled into PR/CS around double digit millions hit, and the WC license deal fell through. The campaign to sell additional ships as they were planned was Sandi's plan, and to that end, whether you think this a con or not, it's been a great success under her stewardship.

If true , and assuming no one ends up being bars when this is finished, she will likely her pick of Marketing positions post SC. You cannot deny that someone did their job right when it comes to marketing this gamedream.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Bootcha posted:

Honestly I don't mind Derek asking for her credentials. This is poo poo that happens all the time. And I'm very certain that Sandi is not a racist or uses racist language. rear end in a top hat? Abrasive maybe, when arguments flare beyond reasonable discussion. Other language used is unknown to me, that's within HR. I would still hold her to the same standards as everyone else. These are my experiences. I do not know if these allegations are directly at Sandi, or more at CR but Sandi presents a "better" target of opportunity to get a rise. This all said, I do not poke the bear.

I have the ability to ask more directly what the gently caress is going on. My approach has been to act like a guest and not a boogeyman suit, because my profit share agreement can be nulled and returned for being an rear end in a top hat at their discretion (within reasonable proof thereof). I have also stated, past and presently, to them that showing numbers is a good way to quell allegations of fraud.
Between you not wishing to poke the bear, and them being able to tear up your contract at a moments notice it doesn't sound like you have any power in this business relationship. Have you considered the likelihood that there won't be any profit to share especially with Roberts wanting to run his accounts like it's Hollywood? You'll need financials to know they're holding their end of the arrangement up, so bringing it up as part of your terms of business makes sense. Worst case you have leverage in being able to say publicly "This isn't fully crowdsourced, I'm speaking as a private investor for the project who got kicked out due to asking them for transparency."

PITT
Sep 21, 2004
MISTER
Bust a deal face the wheel.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Outlander was one of those so bad it's good type movies.

Wing Commander really isn't, though.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
Wait, there are actual VC's in this who stand to make money from the sale of the finished product? Is that true?

That is one crazy loophole if CIG can classify all their pre-sales as funding and bypass these people getting a share. How much of their potential playerbase is already bought in at this point? How can they even manage to have this not classified as profits from sales? Its not like backers are counted as actual investors. The way this is set up, Croberts wins no matter what.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Lu Yan posted:

Huh. That explains why http://www.ascendantpictures.com/ stops updating after 2008.

lol

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
If you're the same guy who made this video, I'm stating to understand why. (Twas genius, btw.)

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Lu Yan posted:

Ascendant Pictures has sold its assets to Bigfoot Entertainement in 2010, I think that could also be the time when Chris Roberts decided to head back to games using the funds to build his prototype. Interesting question would be how much money the assets were worth... As you can see from the below there was no further movie production after 2008 - I guess pissing off Kevin Costner isn't a good way to stay in business, he might have some reach and influence, seeing that he won some oscars.

http://www.bigfoot.com/up-press-releases-172.php

quote:

Los Angeles, July 6, 2010 - Bigfoot Entertainment, Inc. has agreed to acquire the assets of Ascendant Pictures to form Bigfoot Ascendant Distribution LLC. The combined company will drive the foreign sales of both companies' portfolio of titles through Ascendant Pictures' existing distribution channels, as well as build new relationships.

Founded in March 2002, Ascendant Pictures integrated the creative independence and budget sensibility of Indie film companies with the production and market savvy of major studios, and quickly became one of Hollywood's most promising upstart film companies. Furthermore, Ascendant developed a foreign distribution operation that distributes its films through output arrangements with major territorial distributors and broadcasters.

"This development strengthens our portfolio of film titles," said Kacy Andrews, CEO of Bigfoot Entertainment. "And we believe that this acquisition will help springboard us into the distribution arena which is Bigfoot's primary focus this year."

"We are pleased that Ascendant Pictures has become a part of the Bigfoot Entertainment family," said Chris Roberts, Founder and Chairman of Ascendent Pictures. "We do believe that this will positively impact the industry through the consolidated efforts and resources of bringing the combined company's arsenal of titles to market."

Titles that will now come under Bigfoot Entertainment's rights under this new arrangement include completed films such as Who's Your Caddy? (2007), The Big White (2004), Ask The Dust (2006), Lord of War (2005), and Lucky Number Slevin (2006), as well as other Ascendant Pictures' titles in the works.

Key personnel of Ascendant Pictures will remain on board in the newly-formed Bigfoot Ascendant Distribution LLC to ensure a smooth continuation of operation under the new management team.

About Ascendant Pictures:
Ascendant Pictures is an independent film development, production, finance and foreign distribution company. Ascendant combines the creative independence and budget sensibility of groundbreaking "indie" film companies with the production and market savvy of major studios. Ascendant is striving to identify, develop and produce films in a variety of genres with compelling stories and fascinating worlds that inspire and captivate global audiences while having the potential to grow into franchise entertainment properties. With the expertise and experience of its principals, Ascendant has the distinct ability to move films beyond their linear film medium into the interactive entertainment market.

About Bigfoot Entertainment:Founded in 2004, Bigfoot Entertainment is an international entertainment company producing independent films for the global marketplace. The company finances and develops feature films, documentaries and reality TV shows, many of which have received industry accolades, festival awards and have been distributed throughout the world. Featuring both well-established and up-and-coming American and international talent, Bigfoot releases have shot on location worldwide including the United States, Hong Kong, China, Africa, Europe and Vietnam. Bigfoot Entertainment produces many of its projects at Bigfoot Studios, a wholly-owned subsidiary that encompasses six sound stages and on-site state-of-the-art post-production facilities.

sorla78 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 7, 2015

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Bootcha posted:

Sandi was originally PR/CS, due to the fact this was initially slated as a "small project" intended to be a Wing Commander revival after the rights were purchased. She is enthusiastic, speaks clearly, and not unpleasant to look at during videos. All of these pluses, with the additional that it was a job that could easily be filled by someone CR knew and trusted. There's no problem with that.

The biggest issue I had within CIG was that Forum Mod that was flipping LTI ships and using that position to advertise it, which Sandi handled personally at my request.

As for whether or not they should have been upfront with the relationship: Professional relationships are a tricky thing to tactfully address. Considering all the bile the industry gets for women in prominent positions, it was more likely a "safe play" to keep it unspoken. As Derek has brought up, the risk of that is to claim "nepotism" with regards to management. This was more of an honest omission than any kind of secret conspiracy. The Roberts brothers is a different thing as they are both industry professionals, where as Sandi is a "newcomer". Certainly that can raise questions about qualifications, but there are other non-traditional industry folks who do fine. I remember there's an ex-Army Infantryman off in BioWare who writes well but had no experience prior to BioWare. I don't think being upfront or omissive would have made a difference in perception without these allegations popping up, but in this case with the media attention, it would have been better to address early, honest, and blunt.

Within the logistics of the project as a whole, Sandi is not 2IC. At the Santa Monica office, I cannot comment as I do not know the daily goings in that office.

EDIT: If there is a problem at CIG and the project as a whole, it is not because of Sandi. That is my opinion.

Wait wait wait. So you have money riding on this, supposedly with terms, and you're still staying in? Like dude have you not seen Crobizzle's track record after his Wing Commander game(s)?

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Between you not wishing to poke the bear, and them being able to tear up your contract at a moments notice it doesn't sound like you have any power in this business relationship. Have you considered the likelihood that there won't be any profit to share especially with Roberts wanting to run his accounts like it's Hollywood? You'll need financials to know they're holding their end of the arrangement up, so bringing it up as part of your terms of business makes sense. Worst case you have leverage in being able to say publicly "This isn't fully crowdsourced, I'm speaking as a private investor for the project who got kicked out due to asking them for transparency."

I'm trying to be more funny and clever than I should. Obviously they can't rip up my contract at a moment's notice, and I have legal rights to address issues I perceive within the business. As it stands I'm being more tactful with my rights that probably most investors would/are, probably why I wasn't "bought out" awhile ago after $25 mil.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Lu Yan posted:

Yeah. Hollywood is a town of sharks. A contract is pretty sacred because that's basically the only way to gauge trust. That's why people who break contracts are typically never heard from again (unless it's mutual or extenuating circumstances or something. But even then that's rare.)

If he wanted to be in Hollywood you would think he would know this especially dealing with a named actor. You broke contract with a big name, you would do it with anybody. That is why he got blacklisted. And whether or not star cultists believe it, it reflects on his ability to deal with large projects.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Bootcha posted:

I'm trying to be more funny and clever than I should. Obviously they can't rip up my contract at a moment's notice, and I have legal rights to address issues I perceive within the business. As it stands I'm being more tactful with my rights that probably most investors would/are, probably why I wasn't "bought out" awhile ago after $25 mil.

I'm curious what your thought process was for actually investing in Crobizzle. I'm not trying to be glib here I'm legitimately curious.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Unfunny Poster posted:

Oh OK, that makes more sense.

We don't hire SAG guys all the time at work, but we're also smart enough not to piss off SAG to the point we get in trouble with the whole group.

Wonder if Roberts' issues stem back to the issues with the 1990s games that underpaid actors for their work.

im sure he pulled some poo poo during his production of all those movies that lost a collective billion.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
hey dsmart if you want some more material go look at croberts imdb and cross check all the movies he was involved with and how much they made vs spent. its very lol wtf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Agrajag posted:

I'm curious what your thought process was for actually investing in Crobizzle. I'm not trying to be glib here I'm legitimately curious.

I'm legit curious why he didn't jump at the chance to be bought out, because that was the moment where you could see that with the funding and concept explosion there was no way the game could be finished.

• Locked thread