Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Hav posted:

WTF is a gullible cynic?

I think that means people who have a different viewpoint than him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

peter gabriel posted:

Beer I hope you manage to conquer your personal demons so you can post better :ohdear:

My personal demon is 5 months old, weighs around 16 pounds, and she is crawling over me as we speak. She will never be conquered, only put to bed when she's cranky.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Alchenar posted:

Saying it again, Wing Commander Saga is probably the best actual Wing Commander game.

quote:

A Wing Commander Freespace 2 Total Conversion

Oh my goodness how does Lesnick feel about this?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

My personal demon is 5 months old, weighs around 16 pounds, and she is crawling over me as we speak. She will never be conquered, only put to bed when she's cranky.

Almost made a cat joke but instead wish you all the best :)

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Ash1138 posted:

Currently on stage 3 of the refund process. I cited the Endeavor posts as the specific press articles that prompted my decision since they're basically scopecreep.html. Got a response from a real person not long after asking for my PayPal info and expected refund. I made my initial request on October 1st and my ticket number is in the 134k's.

Thanks for this, I just updated my request originally sent in on the 25th and that's in the 133s.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Iron Tusk posted:

So they made it a wholly owned subsidiary on 12-12?

It was already considered an associated company (for tax purposes) but yes, they made it a wholly owned subsidiary. This makes the three UK companies all part of the same group and increases the likeliness that they should have to file a full set of audited accounts rather than a simple abbreviated set.

We still don't really know what the formal relationship is between the UK group and US group is though. We know on the last return that the UK parent company was not a subsidiary of the US group though and was owned 85/10/5 - Chris/Ortwin/Erin.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

Hav posted:

WTF is a gullible cynic?

someone who is easily tricked into thinking a situation is worse than it is would fit that term

not that i agree with mr. "im an investigative journalist, let me tell you how everything's fine and dandy on this project I put money into"

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Unfunny Poster posted:

Why are the Escapists sources "poo poo" in your opinion? What qualifies you to make such a judgement?

Don't you know, if sources don't agree with your 'version' of the 'facts' clearly they are all false.

ed. I pity the true believers, but not as much as I laugh at their stupidity, and the amount of entertainment they supply me. I have yet to see an answer from a person that backed the game that legitimately answers the question of why do you invest more than the pre-order value in a game that isn't even released yet. You are putting your faith and money in a company that has done poo poo-all to deserve it.

kordansk fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 9, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

peter gabriel posted:

Almost made a cat joke but instead wish you all the best :)

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
I mean, I figured the whole point is that you report that an employee claimed x y and z and you confirmed their employment

dont see how that implicates escapist in anything, but im just a plebescrub

e: escapist seems pretty borderline to me, supporting gamergate's "ethics in journalism" facade (when it appears to have been about doxxing feminists to ruin their lives because you disagreed with them) calls anything you say into question

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Jon Do posted:

dont see how that implicates escapist in anything, but im just a plebescrub

DEREK SMART

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
This is an amazing thread. Thanks for the secondhand drama, it's wonderful even to somebody who never backed the game.

As somebody who's seen a few companies fail from the outside and one on the inside, a word of warning: right now it's all fun and games, but companies run like this don't fail on the exact day they run out of money. There is always some amount of time before the failure is obvious to everybody, which is also when even the diehards who defend the company at all costs bow to the inevitable and the VIPs it's important to appease stop getting paid. Long before that, paychecks are "delayed", refunds are "backlogged due to high volume of traffic" and vendor bills are suddenly on a monthly instead of weekly cycle. The more megalomaniacal the management the more thoroughly scripted this part gets. If they have 8 mil left and are facing a 4 mil/mo burn they are now well into this phase and have been for months.

What I'm saying here is that anyone who needs a refund had better get it now before the run on the bank starts, and by now I mean two months ago. If you're reading this while still on the fence for whatever dumb reason, in the extremely unlikely chance all of this is bullshit you will still be able to get your fake spaceship this time next year for slightly more money, whereas if you are wrong you are in the absolute last stage where it's possible for you to see a dime.

By the way, part of the reason this always plays out this way is that the execs are scared of lawsuits and/or criminal charges. While it's unlikely anyone goes to jail in the end, something of this magnitude will definitely attract much more media attention than just the video game press Soon and 90 million dwarfs all the other crowdfunded stuff so thoroughly that an AG or two will probably make noises.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
dont try to save anyone who bought jpegs dude

theyre too far gone

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Variable 5 posted:

Thanks for this, I just updated my request originally sent in on the 25th and that's in the 133s.
I don't know if it helps, but I was only in for $80.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Alchenar posted:

Saying it again, Wing Commander Saga is probably the best actual Wing Commander game.

This is pretty damning because Wing Commander Saga is a unfun, poorly written pile of poo poo. Do you like 45 minute long missions with no check points? Want to blow up an entire Kilrathi battlegroup with nothing but your lasers because your bombers all died in the first 30 seconds of the mission? Then I have the game for you!

There's some neat concepts in there, especially the in atmosphere level where you have to take down some transports but even that is mired by some genuinely dumb loving design decisions

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Ash1138 posted:

I don't know if it helps, but I was only in for $80.

It doesn't matter, all refunds should be given the same priority and be going by the number. I have yet to receive any notification that they've even seen my ticket beyond Sandi confirming that I wanted the account closed, which means that they're now ignoring my ticket.

Which means it's time to call my bank, a lawyer, and/or the FTC.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

^^^ ugh that sucks to hear

Adar posted:

This is an amazing thread. Thanks for the secondhand drama, it's wonderful even to somebody who never backed the game.

As somebody who's seen a few companies fail from the outside and one on the inside, a word of warning: right now it's all fun and games, but companies run like this don't fail on the exact day they run out of money. There is always some amount of time before the failure is obvious to everybody, which is also when even the diehards who defend the company at all costs bow to the inevitable and the VIPs it's important to appease stop getting paid. Long before that, paychecks are "delayed", refunds are "backlogged due to high volume of traffic" and vendor bills are suddenly on a monthly instead of weekly cycle. The more megalomaniacal the management the more thoroughly scripted this part gets. If they have 8 mil left and are facing a 4 mil/mo burn they are now well into this phase and have been for months.

What I'm saying here is that anyone who needs a refund had better get it now before the run on the bank starts, and by now I mean two months ago. If you're reading this while still on the fence for whatever dumb reason, in the extremely unlikely chance all of this is bullshit you will still be able to get your fake spaceship this time next year for slightly more money, whereas if you are wrong you are in the absolute last stage where it's possible for you to see a dime.
Yeah if we get the faintest rumor that payroll was missed and you have not received your refund, you are hosed.

Ash1138 fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 9, 2015

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Anyone who still has money in this and are not already trying to get a refund either does not care, or will go down with the ship and blame anyone other than CR.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
So when the all-out collapse starts, who will the brown sea blame? Us? Derek Smart? The Escapist?

Should I pick up some tea on the way home?

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
Still kinda think that anyone who needs a refund, particularly at this late date, doesn't really deserve one; but hey, whatever, I mostly hope the company/companies fail, not because the backers deserved better...

Instead, because the concept that someone broke ground on a new games market that boils down to "spend thousands of dollars to get a huge advantage and/or something noone else can get" is a terrifying precedent.

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 9, 2015

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Bolow posted:

This is pretty damning because Wing Commander Saga is a unfun, poorly written pile of poo poo. Do you like 45 minute long missions with no check points? Want to blow up an entire Kilrathi battlegroup with nothing but your lasers because your bombers all died in the first 30 seconds of the mission? Then I have the game for you!

There's some neat concepts in there, especially the in atmosphere level where you have to take down some transports but even that is mired by some genuinely dumb loving design decisions

Yes those are valid criticisms.

Still the best Wing Commander game.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Hamburger Test posted:

Anyone who still has money in this and are not already trying to get a refund either does not care, or will go down with the ship and blame anyone other than CR.

They will blame the devil first, then themselves, but never their god

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
SC would have been gaming ambrosia if not for DEVIL SMART and his huge conspiracy to ruin our fun

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Hamburger Test posted:

I'm staying til the bitter end, no way I want a refund, I think everyone else should get one though as it is the right / funniest thing to do.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Jon Do posted:

SC would have been gaming ambrosia if not for DEVIL SMART and his huge conspiracy to ruin our fun

Cryengine :argh:

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

They will blame the devil first, then themselves, but never their god

Correction, they won't blame themselves either.

*Edit: They'll blame themselves for not donating more.

peter gabriel posted:

I'm staying til the bitter end, no way I want a refund, I think everyone else should get one though as it is the right / funniest thing to do.

You fall in the "does not care" group.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Jon Do posted:

Still kinda think that anyone who needs a refund, particularly at this late date, doesn't really deserve one; but hey, whatever, I mostly hope the company/companies fail, not because the backers deserved better...

Instead, because the concept that someone broke ground on a new games market that boils down to "spend thousands of dollars to get a huge advantage and/or something noone else can get" is a terrifying precedent.

Well to be fair, I backed in September of 2012 for a completely different game.

So in my case a refund, I feel, was 100% justified.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

peter gabriel posted:

:ssh: More space sexbots and space toilets for us amirite? :ssh:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Hamburger Test posted:

You fall in the "does not care" group.

I do care but Rome was not built in a day you see

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

shoulda used unity

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

SneakyFrog posted:

:ssh: More space sexbots and space toilets for us amirite? :ssh:

And glorious videos

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Your gameplay videos are worth it, SC is great.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Jon Do posted:

Haven't you heard? Everything purchased can be acquired in game.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Hamburger Test posted:

Your gameplay videos are worth it, SC is great.

They can only get better as some sort of game is released at some point

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
I still have the little plastic card they gave me... Citizen #00018687 .. Should I send it back to them?

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if they're doing the hot ponzi and doing refunds as the Endeavor sells.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Adventure Pigeon posted:

So when the all-out collapse starts, who will the brown sea blame? Us? Derek Smart? The Escapist?

Should I pick up some tea on the way home?

Yes, get a nice loose tea. If you go for a flavored variety, make sure it doesn't have too much "aroma" in it. Typically black tea with fruit based flavour tends to have dried fruit chunks and less artificial aroma in it (at least here) than black tea with creamy/toffee/or other non-fruit based flavours. Ironically, my favorite flavoured teais an English caramel type, which has real caramel chunks in it.

If you want pure, get a nice English breakfast blend and enjoy it Saturday morning.

Word of caution, if you are used to teabags, loose till can be very strong and keep you up at night. I drink enough loose tea it doesn't affect me but I had people drink tea and then not be able to sleep for hours.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Gerbil_Pen posted:

They should pull all insurance. So if you ever lose a ship, you have to rebuy it at full price real or ingame monies.

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

Gerbil_Pen posted:

Ah, but I have found the flaw in your logic. You assume it will come out. (says the guy who owns 2 300is)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

Hopper posted:

Yes, get a nice loose tea. If you go for a flavored variety, make sure it doesn't have too much "aroma" in it. Typically black tea with fruit based flavour tends to have dried fruit chunks and less artificial aroma in it (at least here) than black tea with creamy/toffee/or other non-fruit based flavours. Ironically, my favorite flavoured teais an English caramel type, which has real caramel chunks in it.

If you want pure, get a nice English breakfast blend and enjoy it Saturday morning.

Word of caution, if you are used to teabags, loose till can be very strong and keep you up at night. I drink enough loose tea it doesn't affect me but I had people drink tea and then not be able to sleep for hours.

i prefer yamamotoyama (or stash, before I found a local place for the good poo poo) green tea with some peppermint oil on the bags; i used to drink so much tazo awake/twining irish breakfast that I was getting stains, so I quit.

i do need to get some teasticles for loose-leaf brewing, but that's probably after I break down and get an electric kettle.

• Locked thread