Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

Sage Grimm posted:

Ah, just roll with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Noyemi K posted:

I added some helptext, including an on-screen keymap for the most common actions a player might take.

In the future, [F]ire will draw Amihailu's weapon and allow you to target enemies in the direction you are facing, but it is not available in all situations due to Amihailu's firearms training.

For instance, in rooms with important NPCs, the [F]ire key will make Amihailu give the player a short lecture on basic gun safety. I figure I can use this to make a challenging battle or two later (where you will be limited to melee and magical attacks against a boss enemy).

I also hope to limit the use of some ammunition types for Amihailu's firearm in some situations, such as soft-walled rooms preventing Amihailu from wanting to fire DR-negating ammunition for fear of punching through walls and hitting friendly NPCs on the other side. Though that may be too realistic for a game taking place in a magical nightmare world :v:

Not sure if you're using a grid based roguelike type movement system but if you are, it's hard to tell what space your character occupies. I could be misreading the screenshot though.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

poemdexter posted:

Not sure if you're using a grid based roguelike type movement system but if you are, it's hard to tell what space your character occupies. I could be misreading the screenshot though.

She's drawn at an offset to her internal position so that her sprite can occupy south-facing chamfered corners.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Toying around with a new game core. First time I've done that in years. So fun! :D

Just 4 circles and a stenciling shader. Working on a system that will powerfully composite basic geometry. (Additive/subtractive/masked)

e: A selection cursor using subtractive geometry (via stencils).

Unormal fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 8, 2015

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
The creator of one of the best Unity3d learning courses ever made is doing a kickstarter for a Unreal Engine C++ course.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bentristem/learn-to-make-video-games-unreal-developer-course/description

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Is action planning feasible for large numbers of units? I keep flip-flopping between GOAP and utility AI for my thing, GOAP lets me give NPCs a lot more flexibility, but I remember reading that FEAR had trouble making more than 8 soldiers work at once, and I'm scared of pouring a month into it only to find that what works for 10-20 guys doesn't work for 300.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

I've got basic combat and message logs in my game working this morning:

Firearm attacks work differently from melee—they hit for a percentage of the enemy's maximum health, plus a die roll the size of your ranged attack modifier. This is meant to emulate hitting different parts of the target (for example, a shot to centre of mass would do more damage than a shot to the target's arm). It also makes it an attractive and viable option for taking down stronger enemies with more Damage Resistance (and some ammunition will negate DR entirely!).

The cons are that Amihailu has limited ammunition and it isn't exactly a plentiful drop. Tactically, you might use it to soften up enemies from a distance before closing in for an easy melee kill, or use dropped chests as obstacles to their movement while you pick them off with her gun. Though, full-sized obstacles such as walls and pillars can't be shot over.

The future ranged magic attacks will be able to hit around corners and target areas of effect, however.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Shaders: the video game.

This is an artifact of the gif recorder. It doesn't freeze like that in game.

Swiggity swoogity

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Manslaughter posted:

Swiggity swoogity

Whatever this wiggling is, ship it now.

(That first gif also looks very nice, I love the subtle bloom effect the sky has)

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Manslaughter posted:

This is an artifact of the gif recorder. It doesn't freeze like that in game.

Sure it looks a bit weird with the whole screen freezing, but it might look really neat if a couple of flakes at a time stuck to the screen.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Noyemi K posted:

I added some helptext, including an on-screen keymap for the most common actions a player might take.

In the future, [F]ire will draw Amihailu's weapon and allow you to target enemies in the direction you are facing, but it is not available in all situations due to Amihailu's firearms training.

For instance, in rooms with important NPCs, the [F]ire key will make Amihailu give the player a short lecture on basic gun safety. I figure I can use this to make a challenging battle or two later (where you will be limited to melee and magical attacks against a boss enemy).

I also hope to limit the use of some ammunition types for Amihailu's firearm in some situations, such as soft-walled rooms preventing Amihailu from wanting to fire DR-negating ammunition for fear of punching through walls and hitting friendly NPCs on the other side. Though that may be too realistic for a game taking place in a magical nightmare world :v:

This looks so good & cute. Love it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Manslaughter posted:

Swiggity swoogity

You've inadvertently modeled a perfect wacky waving inflatable arm tube man.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Today I worked more on firearms combat. To keep a long story short for the update, I've added:
  • Amihailu's gun has a finite capacity
  • different damage calculations for enemy material types and different ammunitions used
  • two ammunition types
  • range now affects Amihailu's chance to successfully hit a target, with her accuracy placing a limit on the maximum range she can hit a given target
  • simple ballistic cavitation and overpenetration models, with FMJ rounds fired into a soft target having a chance to blow right through it and hit an additional target downrange and deal reduced damage

for the longer story, this is where I was this morning:

Noyemi K posted:

[...]

I intend for it to be pretty granular, with two ammunition types and two types of targets, for a total of four different damage formulas that can be applied. I've programmed the damage formulas into the game already, and ammunition inventory too.

Features of the current Firearms Combat Type:
  • Two types of ammunition, JHP and FMJ, or Jacketed Hollow Point and Full Metal Jacket respectively.
  • Two types of targets, "hard" and "soft" (usually determined by visual cues or watching your combat log's numbers—the game won't tell you otherwise)

JHP are very effective against soft targets, because the softer point blunts the impact of the round and allows it to mushroom and spread energy over a larger volume inside of the target, causing cavitation. The damage formula models the cavitation impact and your accuracy. Against a hard target, the JHP rounds shatter and deal a scratch worth of damage; you're better off with your fists.

FMJ are effective against hard targets because they negate DR. They don't cause any additional cavitation wounding over JHP, so they deal less damage to soft targets. Overall, hard targets are harder to take down with firearms vs. soft targets.

New features I'd like to add soon:
-Overpenetration, a random occurrence where firing FMJ into a soft target may cause it to punch through and function as a damage-reduced JHP in a second target in the same general direction. EDIT NOTE: Already added, partially

-Reloading system. Currently, reloading is impossible, but the features I'd like for the reload system are as granular as damage and meant to make firearm combat tactics more realistic.

• Use the extractor on Amihailu's revolver to eject all rounds, including ones that are unfired, which will drop to the ground. This can result in a faster reload or if you'd like to change ammunition types, and punishes the player that doesn't think ahead or beat a reasonable retreat beforehand.
  • Reloading takes more than one turn, unless speed loaders are used. Reloading is even slower if spent rounds aren't first ejected, with one round taking a whole turn instead of being able to load two empty chambers in a turn.

-Perks, special abilities, and skills related to firearm combat such as fast tactical reloads, aimed/snap shots, and hammer pairs.

[...]

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
The fidelity of your stuff always blows me away. This is such a weird compliment, but I love that system menu along the bottom.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

This doesn't look nearly as neat, but here's my early progress making Delaunay triangulation spell "fun":

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

:dukedog:
I made a unequip/equip and a use animation!

Also some other rubbish.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

AntiPseudonym posted:

Also some other rubbish.

This is really neat!

While I'm in between projects I've been working on a little space rogue-lite. I haven't put a lot of time into it, but I feel like it's coming together pretty quick. There are some collision bugs, but here's the latest on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xe0V-o4RKw

I'm not sure if I'll finish this or not. sometimes i think I got something cool going on, others I think I'm just wasting time

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

AntiPseudonym posted:

Also some other rubbish.

Looking real nice right there, bro.

RhysD
Feb 7, 2009

Bust it!

AntiPseudonym posted:

Also some other rubbish.

Sweet! I was going to go the 3D pixel textures for my next game :)

I played around with it a while back and enjoyed the outcome - let's hope its not the next hot indie game trend :P

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

AntiPseudonym posted:

Also some other rubbish.

RhysD posted:

I played around with it a while back and enjoyed the outcome - let's hope its not the next hot indie game trend :P

These are both gorgeous and exactly what I've wanted to make something look like for a while now. I'd be perfectly content if this becomes the next big thing because I can't get enough of it.

shs
Feb 14, 2012
laziest shielding effect

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

Hey there.

Been trying to change the line spacing of text in Haxeflixel. Using FlxText, it's possible like that (Text1 is an FlxText):

NewFormat = new TextFormat("assets/fonts/SkullzFontv1.ttf", 16, 0xF074d8f, false, false, false, null, null, "left", 0, 0, 0, 1);
Text1.textField.setTextFormat(NewFormat);

The TextFormat is being ignored using FlxTypeText, though, which is what I'd like to be using: https://github.com/HaxeFlixel/flixel-addons/blob/dev/flixel/addons/text/FlxTypeText.hx

Here is FlxText, for reference: https://github.com/domrein/Flixel-Haxe/blob/master/org/flixel/FlxText.hx

Maybe there could be some way to figure out what about FlxTypeText is leading to the TextFormat being ignored? Thank you!

e: links were broken

Pizzatime fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Oct 10, 2015

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

:dukedog:

RhysD posted:

Man, that looks fantastic! Although man, if I move around a couple of my assets:

Welp. Looks like 3D pixel art and mansions just naturally go together!

AntiPseudonym fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Oct 10, 2015

RhysD
Feb 7, 2009

Bust it!

AntiPseudonym posted:

Man, that looks fantastic! Although man, if I move around a couple of my assets:

Welp. Looks like 3D pixel art and mansions just naturally go together!

Hahaha, that's awesome :D Mine was originally a test for a haunted house type dealio.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
hello i decided to start screwing around with game maker again

thank you for looking at my gif. bye

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Getting awful Touhou flashbacks there.

I'm beginning to seriously start dedicating myself to Actually Make A Game, but I just don't have the time for a full fledged one. I'm wondering if I shouldn't start out with microgames, really small ones centered around a specific theme ala WarioWare. That way, I avoid having to make a shitload of assets for one project and keeps scope creep from overwhelming me.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
That is an excellent, excellent idea. You, and everyone else thinking about making a game should do that.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Dr. Stab posted:

That is an excellent, excellent idea. You, and everyone else thinking about making a game should do that.

It is very tempting. Hmmmmm.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
I know it isn't what you're focusing on, but you've got some ice skating going on there. For testing / "dear god the default walk is too slow", I'm guessing?

... also, the environments for Spartan Fist are coming together nicely. The door hasn't been voxel'ed out yet, of course, but the rest are done. All those pieces are individual assets, too, so we can build out platforming challenges or whatever in addition to the edge walls.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Shalinor posted:

I know it isn't what you're focusing on, but you've got some ice skating going on there. For testing / "dear god the default walk is too slow", I'm guessing?

That's exactly it. Since I'm doing this on a shoestring budget I'm trying to save money by not commissioning an artist to do the models and animation until the rest of the game is feature-complete, so I can hand over as tight an asset list as possible. Until then everything you guys see is filler graphics, the walk I've been using is pretty atmospheric, but it looks best when the character movement speed is around 300 (in uu). The gif is closer to 650, which feels about the right speed, and I didn't bother to fix the ice skating since both animation and model are eventually getting swapped out. ^^

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Shalinor posted:

... also, the environments for Spartan Fist are coming together nicely. The door hasn't been voxel'ed out yet, of course, but the rest are done. All those pieces are individual assets, too, so we can build out platforming challenges or whatever in addition to the edge walls.

What are you guys using to build that? Quibicle or MagicaVoxel or just hand done in a 3d modeler?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

xgalaxy posted:

What are you guys using to build that? Quibicle or MagicaVoxel or just hand done in a 3d modeler?
No clue. I know it isn't MagicaVoxel, at least. What I get aren't .vox files, they're just optimized .FBX files - though I think I'll end up using both the optimized .FBX and the .vox. UE4 really works better with dynamic lighting if you can give it a solid .FBX, but I kinda want to try shattering meshes into their component voxels on death.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Shalinor posted:

No clue. I know it isn't MagicaVoxel, at least. What I get aren't .vox files, they're just optimized .FBX files

Spartan Fist is done in UE4, right? I don't know if this even comes up, since it doesn't look like you need to cull as hyper-agressively as I am, but with so many interlocking voxels have you had any problems with frustum culling leading to visible pop-in around the edges? You can kinda see it even in the low-def gif I posted, and it's bugging the hell out of me.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Shalinor posted:

That's some sweet, crispy stuff right there! :)

Still drawing fish. Up to 13 different sketches now.. most of these aren't important characters but I figured I'd try give every npc in-game a personallity because I'm a giant sperg >_>
First one to guess the imaginary band name of the third dude get's an imaginary medal!

Unperson_47 posted:

This is beside the point but, out of curiosity, what did you use to sketch those with? I really, really like how the colors came out.
Cheers. It's scanned sketches coloured in Photoshop, because I'm a lazy bum that won't redraw the lines digitally.

Imaginary Friend fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 10, 2015

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

This is beside the point but, out of curiosity, what did you use to sketch those with? I really, really like how the colors came out.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Omi no Kami posted:

Spartan Fist is done in UE4, right? I don't know if this even comes up, since it doesn't look like you need to cull as hyper-agressively as I am, but with so many interlocking voxels have you had any problems with frustum culling leading to visible pop-in around the edges? You can kinda see it even in the low-def gif I posted, and it's bugging the hell out of me.
That's why we're using .FBXs. These are only voxels for the sake of the aesthetic and, maybe, smashing them into pixel'y bits on impact. The .FBX files are "just .FBXs" and we can break them up in exactly the ways you normally would for efficient visual culling. They're also not grid-locked, which means we don't have to have the dumb stair-stepped 45 degree angles if we want, say, an hexagon arena instead of square arenas. We can just throw some walls down at 45 degree angles in the corner, make sure the edges align visually, and done.

Doing 100% runtime-built-from-VOX-files voxels is kind of crazy, and runs you down some dead end alleys. Your lighting in UE4 will never be as good (because you have to pre-bake the distance fields in .FBXs for that), you'll run into weird visual culling problems because of lack of obvious mesh divisions, your physics will likely be a bit junky since you have to generate them runtime too, etc, ec.

OTOH, voxels-as-FBX works great, and if the lighting changes a bit when you smash them into their constituent voxels, who cares, you're changing the surface enough that no one really notices. We might even be able to exploit UE4's pre-computed shattering, add some internal surfaces on the voxel mesh, and get even THAT without an obvious drop in lighting quality. We shall see.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 10, 2015

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I want to use the Kenney assets to make a Breakout clone, but I'm having trouble using the spritesheets in Tiled. The sprites aren't always regularly spaced apart, nor are at simple sizes like 64x64, or 32x32. If I try and import a spritesheet, the sprites are always way too large, and cut up really oddly - usually into fourths, and bleeding over into each other. Everything looks loving awful. Plus, I'm trying to make a game where a field is 640x480, and I want tiles to be easily compatible with that - tiles that are some weird number like 108x142 fucks that up.

Has anyone used Kenney spritesheets with Tiled, or at least understands what I'm trying to do? :(

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Shalinor posted:

That's why we're using .FBXs. These are only voxels for the sake of the aesthetic and, maybe, smashing them into pixel'y bits on impact. The .FBX files are "just .FBXs" and we can break them up in exactly the ways you normally would for efficient visual culling. They're also not grid-locked, which means we don't have to have the dumb stair-stepped 45 degree angles if we want, say, an hexagon arena instead of square arenas. We can just throw some walls down at 45 degree angles in the corner, make sure the edges align visually, and done.

Doing 100% runtime-built-from-VOX-files voxels is kind of crazy, and runs you down some dead end alleys. Your lighting in UE4 will never be as good (because you have to pre-bake the distance fields in .FBXs for that), you'll run into weird visual culling problems because of lack of obvious mesh divisions, your physics will likely be a bit junky since you have to generate them runtime too, etc, ec.

OTOH, voxels-as-FBX works great, and if the lighting changes a bit when you smash them into their constituent voxels, who cares, you're changing the surface enough that no one really notices. We might even be able to exploit UE4's pre-computed shattering, add some internal surfaces on the voxel mesh, and get even THAT without an obvious drop in lighting quality. We shall see.

That's really clever, I don't know what the performance difference is between VOX and instanced FBXes, but the lighting it buys you sounds massively worth it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Noyemi K posted:

Today I worked more on firearms combat. To keep a long story short for the update, I've added:
  • Amihailu's gun has a finite capacity
  • different damage calculations for enemy material types and different ammunitions used
  • two ammunition types
  • range now affects Amihailu's chance to successfully hit a target, with her accuracy placing a limit on the maximum range she can hit a given target
  • simple ballistic cavitation and overpenetration models, with FMJ rounds fired into a soft target having a chance to blow right through it and hit an additional target downrange and deal reduced damage

for the longer story, this is where I was this morning:

Looking at this, my worry is that the UI for shooting seems kinda cumbersome. Is that finalised?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Fangz posted:

Looking at this, my worry is that the UI for shooting seems kinda cumbersome. Is that finalised?

Not quite. It's a totally separate gamestate from normal movement at the moment so that game time doesn't advance while you're selecting a target. Originally I would have had the Reload function as part of the fire control UI, but I want game time to advance while Amihailu performs load actions.

Currently it's [Main Control Flow > (fkey) Fire Control > (arrow keys + fkey again) attack] for attacks, which, while it works fine for me, might be cumbersome to a new player who might be used to a different system

The Reload flow would be [Main Control Flow > (rkey) Main Control Flow/Reload UI > (reload function keys) reload functions] where reloading is a subset of the main control flow so that time advances while the player makes Reload decisions (to show that it takes time).

The goal isn't totally to have this sleek, easy-as-pie system as the steps taken to actually engage a target are intended to make drat sure the player wants to pull the trigger before they actually do, with the different states representing different states of Amihailu's readiness and the Fire Control UI representing lots of tiny decisions and snap movements a well-trained combat pistol shooter makes as they engage their target.

An alternative explanation could be that "well it's just like every other rogue-inspired game with ranged combat!" though, with the exception of the intentionally slow system of reloading :v: