Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Just rattled off 20+ OKC messages in 40min. If I'm lucky, I'll get 1-2 responses. Such is the grind of modern single life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
How many mentioned you own an exotic eye tal ian car?

Cause that could at least get a couple with no morals.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I had a coworker I'm fairly unfamiliar with go through tinder while on a hour and a half bus ride that was fairly uncomfortable. At least you haven't hit that point.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Rogue is awful and is produced by an awful company.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Phone posted:

Rogue beer is mediocre at best and is produced by an awful company.

Agreed. Stone is still decent but there are so many better Oregon and California Brewers that are better (and in rogue's case, cheaper) that it is almost funny.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Goddammit, I'm watching the Walking Dead season 6 preview and just found out Morgan (also Robert from Jericho) is also British.

iwentdoodie posted:

How many mentioned you own an exotic eye tal ian car?

Cause that could at least get a couple with no morals.

I assiduously avoid mentioning that I'm into cars or what my car is until the 2nd date, when they have a baseline. A lot of people have a bias against "car guys."

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Phone posted:

Rogue is awful and is produced by an awful company.

No argument here, they're just the most available and easiest to ask about.

And kimbo: totally agreed, my single buddy can never get a second date if he mentions he's in to cars. Bikes, however, seem to be a winner.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Jumping on the gently caress Rouge bandwagon.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
New Belgium.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Phone posted:

New Belgium.

Not great beer but they have some good offerings and, what makes them better than rogue, they are not only super into solar and wind power, but their beer prices aren't sky high. I'll pick up a 6/12 of Ranger IPA if they don't have anything more exotic or better, like Grapefruit Sculpin or Chasing Freshies.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Maker Of Shoes posted:

:respek:

I'm just salty and pissed off. It's been a rough week, haven't seen my kid in two weeks.

North side of San Antonio. The 1604 is a decrepit piece of poo poo.

e: waiting on my flight home getting poo poo faced at the airport bar on the company dime.

My old stomping ground! (I'm so sorry. )

I miss some friends, I miss the food, but I haven't been back there in nearly a decade and I'm pretty ok with that.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
trip report : 6 days sober from booze. The shakes have begun but feeling good eating good trying to stay positive and hydrated.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

blk posted:

I remember when a 6 pack of good homegrown NW craft was $5.99. Now everything's :tenbux: WTH happened?

Inflation.

I can still find a 6er of craft beer on sale for 7 or 8 bucks pretty easy.

Edit : dead guy makes up for all of rogues other meh beers. New Belgium is the definition of mediocre

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 10, 2015

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

El Jebus posted:

Grapefruit Sculpin Grapefruit Sculpin Grapefruit Sculpin Grapefruit Sculpin Grapefruit Sculpin

Grapefruit Sculpin, a million times over. This finally showed up in most crafty liquor stores in my area this summer and I can't get enough of it. It's way too spendy, but worth every penny. I'm not a huge fan of the regular Sculpin but the Grapefruit is delectable and goes down just a bit too smooth, I can easily get through a 6-pack in a night if I'm not careful.

e: Some of the Stone selections aren't too bad, their Delicious IPA and 'Enjoy By' releases are pretty good. We're also the land of a few good local brews, like Surly (generally overrated, their small batch stuff can be great) and Lift Bridge, however the Grapefruit Sculpin still gets me every time. Throw in a Bell's Two Hearted every now and then for variety.

Cellular Suicide fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 10, 2015

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I love IPAs, but I just do not like sculpin :( even directly from the brewery I'm not a big fan.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

kimbo305 posted:

Just rattled off 20+ OKC messages in 40min. If I'm lucky, I'll get 1-2 responses. Such is the grind of modern single life.

Uh, just have your Ferrari in the profile picture and wait for the messages to roll in.

Also don't have any pictures of yourself in a bike helmet. Ask me how I know.

jamal fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 10, 2015

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

gently caress Rogue forever. They are huge shitlords.

Stone ballast point are a OK.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I pretty much don't drink beer made out of state. I think there are 58-60 breweries in Montana now.

Currently drinking cold smoke scotch ale from the kettlehouse, earlier I had a scape goat pale ale from big sky and a single hop pale from bitterroot brewing, which is one of my current favorites.

jamal fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 10, 2015

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

jamal posted:

Also don't have any pictures of yourself in a bike helmet. Ask me how I know.
On one of the apps, I have this joke pic of me slathering sunscreen all on my face while in jersey and shorts. I dunno how well it goes over.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 10, 2015

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

kimbo305 posted:

On one of the apps, I have this joke pic of me slathering sunscreen all on my face while in jersey and shorts. I dunno how well it goes over.

Grindr?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

I assiduously avoid mentioning that I'm into cars or what my car is until the 2nd date, when they have a baseline. A lot of people have a bias against "car guys."

I'm learning not to mention that I'm a mechanic right off the bat as well. There's a huge stigma there, unless I start going after the sort of women who judge a man by the length of his lift blocks. And I'm not about to start seeking out relationships in which I'm competing with her cousin.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Another massive crash at Bathurst, this time in a support race:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqhMEskbYDY

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Edit ^^^ Jesus gently caress. That is...one of the more violent wrecks I've seen in a long loving time.

I've now spent an hour watching NiN videos on YouTube.

YouTube needs to be destroyed.

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 10, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Tusen Takk posted:

Like when I buy New Amsterdam Gin it's $22.99 for a 1.5L or $23.99 for a fifth of Bombay Sapphire at Meijer so that's kind of reasonable for liquor

You can't even buy liquor in a grocery store here. For that matter, stores that sell liquor can't operate at all on Sundays. No staff allowed on premises. Distributors also can't make liquor deliveries on Sundays, even to bars and restaurants.

For beer/wine, you can't sell after midnight (2am in bars), or 1am on Saturdays. When I worked in a grocery store, I volunteered to help the beer/wine department do a major reset. The distributors were there, and reminded us of the laws that stated we were not allowed to work in any section of the store selling alcohol after 2am. So everyone clocked out at 2am, and clocked back in at 2:01am. :v: (we actually left around 7am I think, including the distributors)

Preoptopus posted:

trip report : 6 days sober from booze. The shakes have begun but feeling good eating good trying to stay positive and hydrated.

I'm coming (back) up on 2 weeks. I graduate from my IOP program when I hit 30 days sober and 4 more meetings (tentatively that'll be Oct 20th, as long as I don't miss any meetings), then I'll be in their aftercare program (free) for a year - which is basically "show up once a week for group, show up more if you want".

One of the guys who could do no wrong in the group relapsed recently :saddowns: - he'd been doing heroin for nearly 30 years, had almost a year clean, and had recently graduated to aftercare. He showed up and admitted to it though, and got nothing but support for owning up to it. Lots of positive people there, I honestly enjoy going to the meetings. Yeah, some people are court ordered, but the majority of them wind up liking the place.

If the shakes get really bad, especially coupled with racing heartbeat and/or hallucinations, hit up the ER immediately. DT's aren't anything to gently caress with.

scuz posted:

The computer that I built for my step-mom used a bargain basement AMD chip back with a 200GB Seagate only just got replaced because she got a grant to do music production. I built the computer in 2002 and it was running XP. Nothing died ever.

For my own poo poo, I still use Intel and WD :shrug:

For mom's last PC, we decided it would be cheaper to buy a CompUSA store brand system (Systemax). It was a 64 bit dual core Celeron of some sort with 4GB of RAM and a 320GB HDD, and it came with a Windows 7 OEM license. PC was right around $300. At the time, I don't think I could have built an identical system for that price, including a legal OS. I was attracted to it because it was built from off the shelf hardware, so if something died, I could swap out parts.

Cue a nasty storm later, and I'm throwing parts at it trying to get it to stop BSODing. Even after new RAM and a PSU it couldn't pass memtest, so I shotgunned everything. Turned out it had a MSI motherboard, so I made sure to get another MSI motherboard, since I assumed the OEM key was tied to the motherboard brand (I was probably wrong on that one, they probably just used one of the OEM copies they sold with hardware). Typed in the key printed on the case, and it activated with an OEM product ID, so I guess that idea worked. v:v:v It's now an i3 Sandy Bridge with 4GB of RAM, still in the Systemax case.

Whenever I upgrade my PC again, she's getting my current CPU and motherboard (i5-2500k on a nice Gigabyte Z68 board), and her old stuff gets tossed into a small case and turned into some kind of server that'll get tossed in a closet. Probably a media server for the house.

Lightbulb Out posted:

I work for a rugged computer manufacturer and we almost have no warranty replacements with WD drives, unless they're the blue series drives. The Seagate 10k SAS drives have a really high failure rate, however.

Any idea why on the WD Blues? I have one of those in one of the HTPCs.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Preoptopus posted:

Are you working with a doctor on this or quitting cold turkey? There are medications that can help.

kimbo305 posted:

Showing up to a first date in the 348 must elicit some reactions, though.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Tommychu posted:

I'm learning not to mention that I'm a mechanic right off the bat as well. There's a huge stigma there, unless I start going after the sort of women who judge a man by the length of his lift blocks. And I'm not about to start seeking out relationships in which I'm competing with her cousin.

I am curious why there is such a stigma behind this. My wife is giddy over the fact that I can use my hands and brain to build/fix/repair poo poo. And a giant majority of her friends are jealous, always saying, "I wish my husband could do some of that stuff"

(But remember, I am now the previous owner. gently caress that shower)

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

some texas redneck posted:

Any idea why on the WD Blues? I have one of those in one of the HTPCs.

Yeah that sounds weird; I used to have no problems with blues, but plenty of problems with greens. I've been out of the game for a couple years, though.

kimbo305 posted:

Oh poo poo, is that what I've been doing wrong? :gonk:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

blk posted:

Are you working with a doctor on this or quitting cold turkey? There are medications that can help.

Showing up to a first date in the 348 must elicit some reactions, though.

im cold turky pretty much, probably doing it all wrong but i should probably see a doctor. i will if stuff starts getting weird. so far im managing with some self medications :420: , teas, and healthy eating.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

blk posted:

Agreed. If a doctor feels comfortable doing this on an outpatient basis, Librium is usually the drug of choice, but it'll be a bit difficult to function for a couple of days (you'd mostly sleep). For inpatient, it's usually a combination of Ativan and Librium.

Just based on my own experiences, since he's made it 6 days, there's likely no need for an inpatient detox. I'd think a low dose of Librium for a couple of weeks (tapering the dose down as you go) would eliminate the worst of the shakes. Really, any benzo would work, but Librium has an extremely long half life, and doesn't have the mind gently caress that Xanax or Ativan bring along. It's also very easy to taper off of. But he'd need to find a doctor comfortable with prescribing Librium. Sometimes beta blockers get prescribed to handle longer lasting tremors; I'm on one for my blood pressure, but it also has the added benefit of completely eliminating shakes for me.

Naltrexone will help greatly with cravings, and a primary care doctor will usually be comfortable with prescribing it if asked, but it makes you feel like rear end for the first few days (I'd take it just before bed for the first week). It's offered in pill form, long-acting (30 day) injectable, and an implant. You don't want to know what the injectable (which I've had) or implant (I have not had that) costs, but the pills are available in generic form and usually covered to an extent by insurance. PAWS (post acute withdrawal symptom, aka OH gently caress I NEED A DRINK RIGHT NOW) hits really hard around 30 days, so it's good to have on hand.

* I am in no way a doctor, I've just been through this poo poo too many times.

Preoptopus posted:

im cold turky pretty much, probably doing it all wrong but i should probably see a doctor. i will if stuff starts getting weird. so far im managing with some self medications :420: , teas, and healthy eating.

If you have a blood pressure reader of some kind, use it. Alcohol w/d can cause your BP to skyrocket - I've seen mine as high as 230/180 with a pulse north of 150 before, though I was in full blown DT's. Not trying to make you paranoid, but blood pressure isn't anything to gently caress around with.

Definitely consult your doctor, but since you've made it 6 days, I don't think they'll want to do much beyond blood work (to check liver function) and suggest vitamins. They may give you a mild benzo to help with the shakes, or beta blockers (which help with shakes a bit more, anxiety a little bit less, but aren't intoxicating like benzos).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 10, 2015

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I am curious why there is such a stigma behind this. My wife is giddy over the fact that I can use my hands and brain to build/fix/repair poo poo. And a giant majority of her friends are jealous, always saying, "I wish my husband could do some of that stuff"

(But remember, I am now the previous owner. gently caress that shower)

My wife's friends say the same. Then actively avoid anyone who does it.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

kimbo305 posted:

It's just all one miserable jumble of junk

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

Because it implies one has no money to pay someone else to do it.

If he can't afford a plumber, how is he going to afford to buy my wardrobe?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I have gotten laid after working on and fixing one of our cars. My wife is a keeper.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

My wife posted a picture of me using my DA polisher to get the water spots off our shower door on FB and many likes were from friends of her who have made fun of me for owning a DA polisher in the first place.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I dated a girl who worked with me at a shop and then for cosworth, and drove an sti. Sometimes I regret breaking up.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

People think I'm weird for doing my own landscaping. Sorry, but I'm not paying somebody 150 bucks a month to cut my loving grass.

When my son is old enough it will be his job :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So just a question from an outsider,

Is there a part of Catholicism where one of the things they teach is "BE A HUGE loving oval office TO NON CATHOLICS" or something? Because this wonderful old lady almost made me lose my poo poo at the funeral today.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

leica posted:

Because it implies one has no money to pay someone else to do it.

If he can't afford a plumber, how is he going to afford to buy my wardrobe?

My wife always bitches about it when I'm doing poo poo for myself, but as soon as it saves us money or benefits her, she loves it.

She has gotten MUCH better, though. Some weird hippy poo poo she got into made her see the light. Whatever, means my garage time is much less interrupted :v:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Rhyno posted:

So just a question from an outsider,

Is there a part of Catholicism where one of the things they teach is "BE A HUGE loving oval office TO NON CATHOLICS" or something? Because this wonderful old lady almost made me lose my poo poo at the funeral today.

Yuuuuup. That's actually pretty much a thing. They teach that non-Catholics are deviant scum, worship satan, false gods etc

Catholicism: When Even The Other Christians Hate You, You're Doing Something Wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

leica posted:

People think I'm weird for doing my own landscaping. Sorry, but I'm not paying somebody 150 bucks a month to cut my loving grass.

When my son is old enough it will be his job :v:

The HOA here pays a company to mow everyone's yard. It's pretty great, I don't even own a lawnmower. :toot:

• Locked thread