Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

Furious Mittens posted:

So this...this thing....is what they were proud to show and to answer all the naysayers?

If I was on the fence about this thing, this event would definitely put me on the "no loving way" train. I mean, I'm at a loss for words to adequately explain what the gently caress I just watched. It's a cult, with more cult-like things and absolutely nothing to show for it. No game, no timeframes, nothing....

Holy gently caress what the gently caress is this?

I was on the fence about asking for a refund. I really wanted this game to be good and so I was trying to take the bad press in stride.

Then they banned Beer for posting on this forum. Dick move and very unprofessional but I held a glimmer of hope that maybe, just maybe, CitCon would show something that would at least pretend to be progress.

That was absolutely horrible. The graphics are lackluster, they UI is glitchy, they can't even get dialog to sync up in their own demo, the ship models don't behave as intended (lol connie elevator). I can't believe anyone thought that was a good presentation but notacult I guess.

I put in for my refund. Hopefully the influx of cash from the recent CitizensConned will improve my chances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argento
Feb 19, 2004

Ladies, I'm back
Lipstick Apathy

Dapper Dan posted:

With 15k, you can probably get every single good game on Steam to play for the rest of your life.

and also have enough to build a nice PC to play those games.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

This is probably the case honestly. That was just a tactic to warm people over to her, as they know she comes off as an ice queen. Just standard PR bullshit.

I guess it's standard PR bullshit for your true beleivers then. Because for those of us neutral or negative to her already, it looked like self-congratulating crap. Honestly, flowers at the end.

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

The whole speach is so janky, it's poorly edited (like oldman glitching out on the screens), terribly paced, the music doesn't match up with the dialogue, it's as if someone with no credible directing experience was in charge

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Dapper Dan posted:

With 15k, you can probably get every single good game on Steam to play for the rest of your life.
And every new game you wanted to try in the future for a long rear end time.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I hover around a few other third-party forums and this post floored me:

"Certainly, it is not fully complete. But there is clearly an actual game there at this point. It's well beyond vaporware.

What they showed off just now, and which is apparently the next thing to be released in "the very near future" is seemingly a functional persistent universe. It's only one system, but it looked like over a dozen different places you could go in that system. Looked like they have pretty much nailed the seamless transition between space combat and first person movement. They said there were something like 30+ missions you can engage in. Combat with AI as well as other players in space and on foot in that world.

I mean, it's clearly coming together. It looked pretty badass.

Plus all the stuff they showed regarding the progress on the single player campaign.

On a separate note, they put up the interactive starmap showing all the systems, and the jump routes between them, as well as some of what is in each system, for folks to check out.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/starmap

It looks like their website is getting crushed though."

I mean, were we watching the same stream? Does this guy realize telling isn't showing? Or that a video isn't functional gameplay?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Chalks posted:

"Hey Gary, when you're recording the voice for this role you need to make sure it fits your character in the game"

*does a voice like he's trapped inside an plastic version of himself that can only move about 20% of its facial muscles*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE5UktH4iYY

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

G0RF posted:

She literally opened her speech talking about "My last day as the marketing lead" or something similarly resignation-y.

I can't be the only one that caught croberts "we barely do any marketing or pr" before the sq42 intro. Lol.

She's probably getting a new title.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

FaintlyQuaint posted:

what if you dont want to try any games

you just want to dream about a perfect one

for years on end

Strategy
Jul 1, 2002
15fps ✔
90% walking around doing nothing ✔
lagging on LAN demo server ✔
no vsync or antialiasing ✔
poo poo animations ✔
must be STAR CITIZEN ✔

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spaced God posted:

Sandi wasn't going to quit on stage...
She was going to give her two weeks

:pusheen:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

3,800 new posts what the CHRIST BUGGERFUCK happened at cliticon

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Matlock Birthmark posted:

I guess it's standard PR bullshit for your true beleivers then. Because for those of us neutral or negative to her already, it looked like self-congratulating crap. Honestly, flowers at the end.

The flowers pretty much sealed it for me that it was a PR shitshow. I kind of thought they would pull some stupid "OH POOR SANDI", but I didn't think they would go for the faux dramatic "Please don't leave us Sandi..." method.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
I told you guys this project was FUBAR. There you have it. You're welcome.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Eh, och, I'm a space Scot, man. Donnae eat the lamb.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

D_Smart posted:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Lol I never noticed this before

Spend $15,000 on spaceships* and you get the privilege of spending another $2,500 on an even bigger spaceship*

*may or may not actually exist in the video game Star Citizen

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Argento posted:

and also have enough to build a nice PC to play those games.

FaintlyQuaint posted:

Yeah, seriously can't imagine the delusion of spending that much money

Mister Adequate posted:

You had 95% of filler with walking around and flying and 5% of actually doing anything

10 hours of cutscenes, longer than any Metal Gear Solid game with you having to endure Chris Roberts' writing and direction and none of Kojima's fun insanity.

Their sole showing of SQ42 was the intro cutscene (where they clearly blew all their money and time on, with Gary Oldman sounding like a 95 year old man but looking like Gary Oldman) and a pre-tutorial which was barely finished and again, was nothing but walking and listening

No solid dates on anything. 'Soon', 'The near future'.

No appreciable amount of time spent on actual gameplay, which was about less than 1/3 of the convention. The rest was spent on Sandy, The studio roundup, motion capture and the Squadron 42 movie.

There is now a referral program for making your friends star Citizens. You get rewards for anyone who purchases the game and uses your ID code. Its like what real games do. Except it has transformed itself into a literal pyramid scheme by making its supporters recruiters for the company, only they get non-monetary compensation. There is no product they are selling. It is something that doesn't exist. It is like people selling bad stock to other people getting rewarded with more bad stock, while the scam artist gets the actual money.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

D_Smart posted:

I think even then, as far as SA is concerned, this was mostly preaching to the choir... anyone that's come around since then was trying to keep the dream alive regarding their own "investment". Clearly, those are the hardest to reach.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

Mister Adequate posted:

Nothing.

That's the problem.

Jessant
Jun 16, 2001

Paladinus posted:

Eh, och, I'm a space Scot, man. Donnae eat the lamb.

How did they decide the Scottish character should be the Engineer on the Space Ship.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Memnaelar posted:

I hover around a few other third-party forums and this post floored me:

"Certainly, it is not fully complete. But there is clearly an actual game there at this point. It's well beyond vaporware.

What they showed off just now, and which is apparently the next thing to be released in "the very near future" is seemingly a functional persistent universe. It's only one system, but it looked like over a dozen different places you could go in that system. Looked like they have pretty much nailed the seamless transition between space combat and first person movement. They said there were something like 30+ missions you can engage in. Combat with AI as well as other players in space and on foot in that world.

I mean, it's clearly coming together. It looked pretty badass.

Plus all the stuff they showed regarding the progress on the single player campaign.

On a separate note, they put up the interactive starmap showing all the systems, and the jump routes between them, as well as some of what is in each system, for folks to check out.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/starmap

It looks like their website is getting crushed though."

I mean, were we watching the same stream? Does this guy realize telling isn't showing? Or that a video isn't functional gameplay?

I figured that people would take that line, at least the true believers. But if anyone that isn't caught up in this cult takes this point of view, then I just don't loving know about humanity anymore.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Ok guys, what the hell. 2000+ posts in just a few hours. What just happened because there is no way I can keep up with this insanity.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

D_Smart posted:

I honestly can't believe that people think that this was good or proved you wrong. It is just mind-boggling to me.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
I have a vision... that in the times to come #notacult will haunt many true believers

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Pendent posted:

Ok guys, what the hell. 2000+ posts in just a few hours. What just happened because there is no way I can keep up with this insanity.

Turns out that Star Citizen is looking like a bit of a disappointment.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

D_Smart posted:

Do you feel Vindicated Potatod Sabred?

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Pendent posted:

Dapper Dan posted:

Yeah, seriously can't imagine the delusion of spending that much money

You had 95% of filler with walking around and flying and 5% of actually doing anything

10 hours of cutscenes, longer than any Metal Gear Solid game with you having to endure Chris Roberts' writing and direction and none of Kojima's fun insanity.

Their sole showing of SQ42 was the intro cutscene (where they clearly blew all their money and time on, with Gary Oldman sounding like a 95 year old man but looking like Gary Oldman) and a pre-tutorial which was barely finished and again, was nothing but walking and listening

No solid dates on anything. 'Soon', 'The near future'.

No appreciable amount of time spent on actual gameplay, which was about less than 1/3 of the convention. The rest was spent on Sandy, The studio roundup, motion capture and the Squadron 42 movie.

There is now a referral program for making your friends star Citizens. You get rewards for anyone who purchases the game and uses your ID code. Its like what real games do. Except it has transformed itself into a literal pyramid scheme by making its supporters recruiters for the company, only they get non-monetary compensation. There is no product they are selling. It is something that doesn't exist. It is like people selling bad stock to other people getting rewarded with more bad stock, while the scam artist gets the actual money.

Same page man.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I absolutely love that all this poo poo is happening. What a mess. Chris spent so much time disassociating the presented visuals from his actual vision. He must be in a troubled state where he came close to admitting that the "game" will never live up to what he wanted and so the eminent failure is then made excusable in his mind.

And Sandi having to get out first and away from the wreckage with her pre-retirement speech as well. Both of them know its going to collapse soon and they dont want their inner ego harmed by the vanity they put out in front of the world.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I... I stopped at the cake. I got up and ate dinner. This stream was painful. None of the game is there, is it?

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy

havenwaters posted:

Well Sandi did a resignation speech like thing at the start of the con because all the anonymous attacks on her. 30 minutes later people found out that she really wasn't resigning.

:laffo: wut hahaha

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Fucking Star Citizen True Believers are passive-aggressive douchebags. Sorry if I have the ability to use my critical thinking skills. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, motherfuckers.

That's me trying way too hard to fit in here. Please accept me, I need validation. I'm very depressed.
Grimey Drawer

Cheston posted:

I... I stopped at the cake. I got up and ate dinner. This stream was painful. None of the game is there, is it?

Nothing. At. All.

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

D_Smart posted:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
btw, as I had previously reported, Sandi was about to quit. That's what the embarrassing opening scene drama was about. But Erin ruined it when he interrupted her at the last minute.

My guess is that she may still quit as planned.

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.
:chloe:

It's unbelievable that this is all actually real

Argento
Feb 19, 2004

Ladies, I'm back
Lipstick Apathy
It's really funny and all I guess, but people will be ruined and I'm agreeing with Derek Smart.

Today has not been a good day :smith:

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

moisturize me

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

D_Smart posted:

btw, as I had previously reported, Sandi was about to quit. That's what the embarrassing opening scene drama was about. But Erin ruined it when he interrupted her at the last minute.

My guess is that she may still quit as planned.

Epic flower interrupt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Just remembered there was a character like that in Doctor Who.

E: fb

• Locked thread