Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Is this shitshow still going on? lol what the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

At this point I feel bad for Illfonic and wouldn't be surprised if they would have made a pretty fun little FPS module if they had been given the chance. I would love to know their story.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3730761 they are making a poop/Piss/rape simulator using the same jpeg financing that Christ Roberts is.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Octopode posted:

THEUNITEDSTATESOFAMERICA

if this is true, I remember you being insufferable during archeage. glad you continued your hard work and personal brand since then

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
because star citizens walk around with a load of poo poo in their pants. It is an accurate animation.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Will there be platforming or driving sections in this game?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Hammerstein posted:

Part of the tragedy is that Interstellar Marines, made by a small indie studio, supposedly looks and plays better than anything they have come up with so far.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/236370/

It would be quite an accomplishment for the Star Citizen fps to actually be worse than Interstellar Marines

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

of course. Anything you want.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Jst0rm posted:

because star citizens walk around with a load of poo poo in their pants. It is an accurate animation.

Bah, poo poo-again!

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Sarsapariller posted:

Seems like the FPS was always going to be integrated into the PU. Like, even in the demo from Gamescom they had people running around, just without guns. The addition of gunplay doesn't seem like it warrants an announcement- but there was a conspicuous absence of anything specifically Star Marine up on the stage. If they haven't cancelled it, they've definitely put it on the back burner.

Eventually, of course it was going to be integrated. That was kind of the whole point of spending time developing it to begin with. They just seem to have gotten it to a point where they were comfortable pushing forward with it wholesale, now. I just don't think they felt the need to show off FPS gameplay again in addition to the large world demo in the same way they didn't show off any Arena Commander gameplay, either, but they aren't planning on removing it from the game.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Jst0rm posted:

of course. Anything you want.

Superb, and tennis?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
I thought all the inputs for this were pre-recorded, yet they still apparently managed to sit in the wrong chair for this part: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUKYc3dHhUU&t=650s

Also, CR saying 'Actually, let's go this way' to a recording.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can someone answer something for me. If Sandi was the target of an "anonymous internet hate mob", why do they blame all of that groups actions on Derek Smart and other named individuals?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Octopode posted:

Eventually, of course it was going to be integrated. That was kind of the whole point of spending time developing it to begin with. They just seem to have gotten it to a point where they were comfortable pushing forward with it wholesale, now. I just don't think they felt the need to show off FPS gameplay again in addition to the large world demo in the same way they didn't show off any Arena Commander gameplay, either, but they aren't planning on removing it from the game.

In this sea of madness i like your grounded and serious posting about the features of the upcoming epic space opera Star Citizen

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy

Jst0rm posted:

literal Shitizens

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

robot roll call posted:

what was your favorite part, slowly walking down hallways for 10 minutes while npcs spout awful dialog at you or the part where it ended before anything cool happened

I genuinely liked the level of detail and interactivity on the ship, and the character interactions were decent and would make for a fun game (though you have to wonder about replay value). They built the impression of a crewed and functioning ship far more so than anything else they've shown to date. The dialogue was not particularly cringey until the "briefing room" and I found myself kind of enjoying Morrow's character. Personally I want the game to have a lot of slow-paced shipboard segments in between the sorties and combat. I'd like to see a lot of character development through that, it would be a nice departure from previous space games where your downtime was a couple static screens between missions.

It does kind of raise the question of how they're ever going to get the other capships built though, since this was the smallest one and it's taken them years to flesh out. It also raises the question of exactly how much they've got done, given how rough a lot of the clipping and animation was.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

peter gabriel posted:

You joke, but Elite's supposed to have an expansion out this winter that'll let you drive around on planets, doing yet another thing this pipe dream promised with a smaller budget.

God, what a beautiful clusterfuck.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Shala posted:

Well I certainly hope you read at least 80 pages of Groverhaus before starting on that endeavor.

Literally using it as a how to guide.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Unfunny Poster posted:

Can someone answer something for me. If Sandi was the target of an "anonymous internet hate mob", why do they blame all of that groups actions on Derek Smart and other named individuals?

Derek would lay a serious legal smackdown on them if they named him and they know it.
Think Rambo with a briefcase

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hell of a coincidence to come home to.

I'm assuming Citizen Con went about as well as you'd expect.

Apocadall posted:

Is this shitshow still going on? lol what the gently caress.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Good Dumplings posted:

You joke, but Elite's supposed to have an expansion out this winter that'll let you drive around on planets, doing yet another thing this pipe dream promised with a smaller budget.

God, what a beautiful clusterfuck.

Yeah I am buying it :D

jestest
Feb 12, 2014

Ancient Aliens: Closer Encounters
somehow the bigger names aren't listed on the imdb page for this movie yet...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4156346/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3oa3zb/the_squadron_42idris_demo_the_future_in_video/

quote:

]While everything shown at Citizen Con blew my mind, I just want to say that the Squadron 42 demo was revolutionary.

In every game I've every played, you walk up to character and a message comes up with something along the lines of "Press X to talk to character". If you can't talk to a character, they completely ignore your existence and just go through their animation unless you run into them (or they run into you in some games) and then they get all mad for a second before they resume their animation. Every situation where this isn't the case is a cut scene.

In the demo, it was completely different. Characters talked to you and around you as if you were really there. You really felt like a character who was there. When that guy waits for you by the stairs, he just waves at you and starts walking and talking. He didn't just play some animation of flipping a coin(or whatever) until you approached him and hit 'use'. None of the interactions did the character ever have to press a button to talk to anyone except to choose what to say, which seemed really cool too. All the direct interactions felt very non-video-gamey.

And the other people on the ship? They seemed real. Like the guy who unloaded that box from the ship you were on in the beginning. His actions were as realistic as everything else. Those two guys talking against the wall in that one room at the top of the stairs, they seemed real, not just randomly placed there to make the ship feel populated. The guy who reacted when you walked too close to the Gladius taking off, that was great. I don't know how many of those were planned, but if the game feels like this when you're playing it, it will be fantastic.

I think it's gonna be a lot harder to create this feeling in the PU than it will be in Squadron 42, but I think S42 will set a bar of some kind for future video game storytelling. Not every game will live up to it, but the best games will have to step up their game to match. I'm anticipating S42 to be at the top of my best games list for quite a while.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The fact that they renamed the dumb ship (and hosed it up so it was named POTATO briefly on the website) and then changed the price by 5$ to PROVE DSMART WRONG is far more entertaining than it should be. I would ask what it is named in the game assets except there is no game :lol:

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Unfunny Poster posted:

"He's the hero Star Citizens deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight."

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

All I'll say about how 'revolutionary' this is is this

"Gordon they are waiting for you in the test chamber"

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Zmej posted:

if this is true, I remember you being insufferable during archeage. glad you continued your hard work and personal brand since then

He is Nhoj on the forums.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Octopode posted:

Maybe. I'm reading between the lines though and there seems to be an undercurrent of changing project status there. Personally I don't really give a drat, the FPS was always the least interesting part of this and I've been frustrated that they've spent so much time on it for the last year. De-emphasizing it could only be a good thing.

The shifting goal posts and ever-moving launch window don't really inspire confidence. I just wish they'd actually loving release something, it's the only way to get out of this quagmire.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Golly, surely the whole game will be like that. The mind of a child.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Isn't that how Half Life 1 & Half Life 2 handled dialogue over 10 years ago?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I've just shat my pants, ask me anything about playing Star Citizen in VR

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

It explains a lot if the brown sea hasn't played a video game since 1995.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Nuclearmonkee posted:

The fact that they renamed the dumb ship (and hosed it up so it was named POTATO briefly on the website) and then changed the price by 5$ to PROVE DSMART WRONG is far more entertaining than it should be. I would ask what it is named in the game assets except there is no game :lol:

reminder that this is all completely real and factual

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I just want to pop in here and say a little something

I'm an outsider, truly. never gave money but I did read about star citizen a year or two ago and thought it was cool sounding. Over the past few days since the escapist article I've followed this thread and read Reddit and watched the streams today

Holy gently caress - anyone defending this "game" (tech demos of bad looking boring scripted events and a lot of terrible voice acting) needs a reality check. Hiring big name actors to voice these rolls is the simplest smoke screen ever and I can't believe Reddit is falling for it and getting hyped.

Anyone with a small shred of faith this will be a good game if it ever gets released should be ashamed of themselves

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

I've just shat my pants, ask me anything about playing Star Citizen in VR

did the vr animation preserve your natural waddle as you tried to not rub the poo poo too much as you walked?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I was trying to convince myself to learn movie clip editing for this clip, turning it into a goon-style parody upon witnessing tonight's 'con' (which I was certain was going to be a disaster), but I legit cannot muster that kind of :effort: for this insanity, now that I've rewatched all this poo poo late at night...

So this video clip sums up my feelings at this exact moment about Star Citizen and CitCon 2015. If anyone wants to make an SA-parody vid out of it, by all means do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rolHSTWp3w0

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I did a check on the page to see an artifact left over from "Vindicator" but didn't see anything. Someone with more webpage knowledge should probably see if anything was forgotten.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Sarsapariller posted:

They definitely did not just directly crib parts of the Vanguard for their new fighter. No sir. The wings/cockpit/engines/body are all 100% original.
I'm okay with this because they've said that they wanted each manufacturer to have its own design language or whatever so certain components are either similar or identical in appearance.

A more pressing question is why is it so loving foggy inside their spaceships?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jst0rm posted:

"He's the hero Star Citizens deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight."

Woah, tone down the racism citizen.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Jst0rm posted:

did the vr animation preserve your natural waddle as you tried to not rub the poo poo too much as you walked?

I smell of poo poo, my own poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Octopode posted:

So they broke a promise they've made repeatedly this entire year, again and again and again, because they didn't want to focus on the FPS gameplay anymore? That seems like a really weird reason to break a promise.

Thanks though for at least admitting that they said they would release an independent FPS module pretty much this entire year and lied about it.

• Locked thread