Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I just owned Octopode so hard he actually gave up arguing.

Worship me.

At some point when running towards a brick wall, the prudent person will stop.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

trucutru posted:

Can you own Seraph?

Seraph is literally schizophrenic so no, there is no winning with Seraph.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I was arguing with some true believers who claimed it should have been obvious the game would take longer with the stretch goals. When I asked them whether Chris Roberts was stupid enough to not realize the obvious or was lying to scam people who didn't know enough about game development to realize that when he said it wouldn't they for some reason stopped responding. :allears:

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
Guys I'm starting to think that Star Citizen ain't very good.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

xanif posted:

Can someone explain to me the massive amount of Octopode hate occurring?

Saying lies and ignoring reality. When his lies backs him into a corner he ignores everything and changes the subject.

Octopode: There are other people in this thread that still have faith in the game that aren't being poo poo on. We hate you for you.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

:cripes:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Octopode posted:

That hasn't stopped croberts yet.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:vince:

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Seraph is literally schizophrenic so no, there is no winning with Seraph.
When I was reading through the thread earlier I saw Kewpuh probated him for 6 hours. I don't know if Ralp ever got around to banning him again though.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Young Freud posted:

Word has it that he's got enough money, you have to pay him in weed these days.

I was reading one of those reddit threads when the Star Marine FPS trailer got released last night. There was a guy who said he could never get into an "earthbound" shooters like CoD and that this looked awesome to him. The latest CoD has you doing power leaps, speed runs, ziplining, and jet packs in an exo-suit. The next CoD will have cyborg powers. Saints Row 4 gave you superpowers such as flight. I'll even go back, Halo 2 has a moment where Master Chief goes all Major Kong on a Covenant battleship. That dude has been missing out and his gaming knowledge is loving weak.

I'm seeing this quite a bit. Praise for features that exist elsewhere. I wonder if many of these people have played a recent game. Everything from Kevin Spacey in CoD to the blending of short cutscenes in BF4 has been done, and done smoothly.

A full, dynamic star map has been done several times over (Eve and Elite)

The quantum drive looks like poo poo even compared to the first release of frameshift in Elite.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

xanif posted:

Can someone explain to me the massive amount of Octopode hate occurring?

You know when you put new batteries in your TV remote and it's a pain in the rear end but you finally get the lovely plastic back cover on and then point the remote at the TV, press a button but nothing happens, then you take the lovely cover back off and you've put a battery in the wrong way round so you have to stick your finger nail in and pull the battery out but because the pokey out bit of the battery is pointed at the spring in the remote it's REAL pain in the rear end and the spring tries to hold the battery in but eventually it snaps free and the battery goes flying across the room and all you wanted to do was put the drat news on anyway?

That's Octopode, he's the wrong way around battery being awkward

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Iridium posted:

i don't think he's incompetent. I think he has interesting vision and an interesting set of skills.

but he also lacks the self awareness to see that he isn't the one to manage a project like this, and wasnt the one that should have led Freelancer. he should have surrounded himself not just with strong talent (and a lot of it was before it jumped ship), but with competent and experienced managers / producers who would handle the minutiae for him, and check him when he's getting off the rails.

Instead his first two hires were his wife and a completely incompetent and unprofessional yet absolute and unyeilding suckup, and then threw both of them into jobs at which they had zero real world experience. Which really kind of points to the problem, doesn't it.

if anyone happens to have gotten Pillars of Eternity, it comes with a "making of" video which is really loving poignant when you compare what they went through... a 4mil kickstarter for a respected but floundering company to get back to the storytelling roots of what they did best... and brought in the right people to make some of the hard calls. And they did all this, as they said, because they weren't just representing the trust in their company, but the trust in kickstarter and crowdfunding in general. It puts SC into a radically different light, not least because Pillars specifically hired a couple of people to be that voice of reason, and the lead programmers and devs knew this was a good and important step and worked with him to get poo poo done and released just a few months later than anticipated... yet still in the open development poo poo all the whiteknights for SC are crowing about.
I'm 9 pages behind so far, but this an excellent comparison. The guy Obsidian had basically said, "We gotta choose which features stay and which to rip out. I know everyone wants to put their own feature in, but if we try to put them all in they'll all by half done and we'll launch a game that's only half done."

And lo Pillars is good and got an expansion recently too.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Good Dumplings posted:

That's kind of interesting, because that's exactly what got on my nerves so much about the minimovie. Everything and everyone was so generic - you get the nice guy, the girl with attitude, the cool-headed briefing officer - and there's nothing really distinctive about any of them. They're all around the same size, all have the same short hair, and all have the same muted color palette that everything else on the ship has. Who are these people? Why do I care about them? Nothing really happens in the demo, so they don't have a character to establish, so all I have to go on is visuals, which are all just varying shades of gray and orange.

Everything about it was just baffling; the first glimpse of this movie consists of some guy making a Generic Rousing Speech, then a tour around a bunch of corridors. No dogfights, no tense launch off the deck as a swarm of unstoppable monsters beyond the stars tear apart your home base, nothing. They could've even just had a sad scene where a salvage team is picking through the wreckage of a dead battlegroup, finding corpses for burial to actually give a sense that there's a war for the player to win. No, let's establish our setting by walking around corridors for an hour.

Well you're not wrong, it is dramatically a very flat scene. But we've had that discussion several times in this thread and the general consensus is that the whole of SC is kind of aesthetically bland due to a lack of any real vision except "Like Wing Commander But Not". There's not really a lot of creativity going into anything, just obsessive spaceship detailing. So I guess that part didn't stand out to me as really awful- it just seems like the general atmosphere of the game now. That being said, as a tech demo for how you'll interact, it was a bit nicer than anything they've shown so far. Is it going to make me go buy the newest package? No. Would I have preferred a dogfight scenario thrown in there, or some actual writing? Hell yes. I was just happy that they'd apparently made some progress on an aspect of the game we hadn't seen before. Yes, that is an unbelievably low standard- that's why I've been selling all my poo poo and asking for a refund for the last month.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
Octopode is hilarious and I enjoy his posting.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Octopode posted:

Yes my reasoning was sturdy and unyielding like a brick wall. We are in agreement that it was in your best interest to stop.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

peter gabriel posted:

All I'll say about how 'revolutionary' this is is this

"Gordon they are waiting for you in the test chamber"
"You'll just have to wait until after THE TEST."

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Octopode is hilarious and I enjoy his posting.
Octopode has convinced me this game will be good and is totally on the right track so I went out and bought one of the new $15,000 packages.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

G0RF posted:

"You'll just have to wait until after THE TEST."

Digging the AV!

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

lol

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

oh wait I forgot it's actually super duper easy to own Seraph lmao.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Sillybones posted:

Saying lies and ignoring reality. When his lies backs him into a corner he ignores everything and changes the subject.

Octopode: There are other people in this thread that still have faith in the game that aren't being poo poo on. We hate you for you.

You seem to have me confused with someone else.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/starmap

Star Map's pretty cool for a bit of browser tech, I will give Turbulent props for that. Wish it was actually part of the game and it would have been nicer a year ago, but oh well.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Sarsapariller posted:

Well you're not wrong, it is dramatically a very flat scene. But we've had that discussion several times in this thread and the general consensus is that the whole of SC is kind of aesthetically bland due to a lack of any real vision except "Like Wing Commander But Not". There's not really a lot of creativity going into anything, just obsessive spaceship detailing. So I guess that part didn't stand out to me as really awful- it just seems like the general atmosphere of the game now. That being said, as a tech demo for how you'll interact, it was a bit nicer than anything they've shown so far. Is it going to make me go buy the newest package? No. Would I have preferred a dogfight scenario thrown in there, or some actual writing? Hell yes. I was just happy that they'd apparently made some progress on an aspect of the game we hadn't seen before. Yes, that is an unbelievably low standard- that's why I've been selling all my poo poo and asking for a refund for the last month.

Which is really sad, given that Roberts wants to make movies so badly. This was his big chance to actually use that desire to make something his company desperately needs, and he just completely ignores it :smith:

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

Sarsapariller posted:

Star Map's pretty cool for a bit of browser tech, I will give Turbulent props for that. Wish it was actually part of the game and it would have been nicer a year ago, but oh well.

Part of the stated reason that it took so long to implement was that Turbulent wanted to engineer something that could be picked up, entire, and put directly into the game. I'd expect the in-game implementation to be very similar, if not identical.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Octopode posted:

You seem to have me confused with someone else.

Mhmm.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

:eyepop:

There is space justice.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Sarsapariller posted:

If you look at all the minigames that Turbulent has done for the ship sales they're actually producing more interactive Star Citizen content than CIG is.
They're the real unsung heroes in this whole thing.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

peter gabriel posted:

You know when you put new batteries in your TV remote and it's a pain in the rear end but you finally get the lovely plastic back cover on and then point the remote at the TV, press a button but nothing happens, then you take the lovely cover back off and you've put a battery in the wrong way round so you have to stick your finger nail in and pull the battery out but because the pokey out bit of the battery is pointed at the spring in the remote it's REAL pain in the rear end and the spring tries to hold the battery in but eventually it snaps free and the battery goes flying across the room and all you wanted to do was put the drat news on anyway?

That's Octopode, he's the wrong way around battery being awkward

:vince:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

OhDearGodNo posted:

I'm seeing this quite a bit. Praise for features that exist elsewhere. I wonder if many of these people have played a recent game. Everything from Kevin Spacey in CoD to the blending of short cutscenes in BF4 has been done, and done smoothly.

Now that you bring up Spacey, Gary Oldman has been in at least two Call Of Duty games. They just never used mo-cap there.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Wafflz posted:

why do those spaceships have swing wings?

e: also why is one the dropship from aliens?

same reason their missiles and torpedoes have fins on them! obviously its because croberts doesnt know poo poo about space and doesnt give a gently caress for the planetary entry and landing module!

i bet the ships will handle the same in the atmosphere as they do in space, complete with 0 inertia.

Sarsapariller posted:

It does kind of raise the question of how they're ever going to get the other capships built though, since this was the smallest one and it's taken them years to flesh out. It also raises the question of exactly how much they've got done, given how rough a lot of the clipping and animation was.

dont worry, they have this new tech that allows them to streamline ship creation now. i think thats what one of the true believers said in an old thread. ship production will increase any day now

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Oh cool, thanks. I wasn't going to go to sleep anytime soon. Like ever.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Octopode posted:

Part of the stated reason that it took so long to implement was that Turbulent wanted to engineer something that could be picked up, entire, and put directly into the game. I'd expect the in-game implementation to be very similar, if not identical.

Just like the leaderboards, match selection, and lobby.

Wait, nvm.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Octopode posted:

The whole thing's done in javascript though so I'm not sure how they'd do it without having to have an in-game web browser or something equally top heavy. Which I wouldn't put past them given that whole arm-mounted UI thing they waved around briefly. At this point in the project's life cycle I'm a lot less interested in possibilities though, and more interested in when stuff's actually going to be released.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

peter gabriel posted:

Digging the AV!
Thank you, Mr. Gabriel-- felt like it was overdue.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Sarsapariller posted:

The whole thing's done in javascript though so I'm not sure how they'd do it without having to have an in-game web browser or something equally top heavy. Which I wouldn't put past them given that whole arm-mounted UI thing they waved around briefly. At this point in the project's life cycle I'm a lot less interested in possibilities though, and more interested in when stuff's actually going to be released.

Isn't there an entire UI system that basically just uses javascript for it? I feel like I remember the most recent sim city game used it but I can't remember the name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

:dogbutton:

• Locked thread