Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

That the local dialect causes people to pronounce retching as reaching. First time I heard someone say their family was retching I was like "for what?".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

cash crab posted:

Completely unpopular opinion, but I think house centipedes are funny. Also, if it makes anyone (not necessarily you) feel better, they are apex predators and they eat roaches and bed bugs...

I know they are good for pest control and that they keep the elk and owl population down in ones house, but I still can't handle them. Every time I see one I jump up on a chair like a 1940's Warner Bros. housewife and scream. I'll catch a mouse bare handed and grab wasp by the wings but house centipedes are the devils spawn. It makes me feel sick just to think about them.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Pet peeve, people posting photos of absolutely disgusting critters in this thread. :catstare:

For real though, house centipedes are awful. I already can barely deal with bugs, but these are not only huge (compared to any other bugs I've had to deal with) with way too many legs, but as people have mentioned - fast. I spotted one way across the room once and literally half a second later it had skittered across the floor and under my bed. Yeah I didn't go back into the room until someone else managed to get rid of it for me.

Re: the poster with the complaint about the Adam Levine song lyrics (phone posting so I'm too lazy to quote) - I totally agree. First time I heard the song I was listening to the lyrics and I was all like, "uh no if you went to jail and lost it all today I would probably not stay with you." I guess songs that have a catchy beat but trash lyrics are definitely a pet peeve.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

mostlygray posted:

I'll catch a mouse bare handed
loving how. I hate mice, they're little assholes who sneak in and start chewing everything up then they run off and leave everything open for bugs to get at. People can get mad at me for inhumane traps all they want but gently caress mice.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Clocks posted:

Pet peeve, people posting photos of absolutely disgusting critters in this thread. :catstare:

For real though, house centipedes are awful. I already can barely deal with bugs, but these are not only huge (compared to any other bugs I've had to deal with) with way too many legs, but as people have mentioned - fast. I spotted one way across the room once and literally half a second later it had skittered across the floor and under my bed. Yeah I didn't go back into the room until someone else managed to get rid of it for me.

Re: the poster with the complaint about the Adam Levine song lyrics (phone posting so I'm too lazy to quote) - I totally agree. First time I heard the song I was listening to the lyrics and I was all like, "uh no if you went to jail and lost it all today I would probably not stay with you." I guess songs that have a catchy beat but trash lyrics are definitely a pet peeve.
When I was in college there was a centipede in the bathtub but it was sitting still so I thought it might be a mound of hair. I had been drinking and couldn't be sure, so I summoned my housemate's girlfriend, who was sober and a biology major. The following exchange occurred:

Housemate: I'm too drunk to focus my eyes and be sure.
GF: It's definitely a centipede.
*turns on water*
H: That's not working, it's swimming upstream!
GF: Well it probably got in here by crawling up the drain.
Me: :dogbutton:

I took the least relaxing shower of my life after that.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Clocks posted:

When I was in college there was one skittering around on the whiteboard behind the professor and everyone was staring at it horrified. The professor tried to kill it at which point it dropped to the floor and started skittering towards the class. Cue mass panic as everyone scrambled to get their bags and feet off the floor.

It's not what they look like that bothers me, it's the speedy skittering.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Nuebot posted:

loving how. I hate mice, they're little assholes who sneak in and start chewing everything up then they run off and leave everything open for bugs to get at. People can get mad at me for inhumane traps all they want but gently caress mice.
They carry like, hantavirus and bubonic plague in New Mexico. Those fuckers are getting killed as poo poo, I'm not messing with live traps.

littlebluellama
Jun 18, 2013

I am kind, brave and deserve love.

mostlygray posted:

they keep the elk and owl population down in ones house

How big are these centipedes? :stare:

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

littlebluellama posted:

Imagine an angry sausage with a thousand legs.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Stoatbringer posted:

Imagine an angry sausage with a thousand legs.

Or, y'know, don't. :stonk:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I work at a front desk of a medical hotel so I have a lot of customer pet peeves, which I can mostly understand because they know a lot less about how we work than I do. But it's the ones who come in misinformed and then refuse to believe that we, behind the counter, who are working here and have been for years, know more about how we work than they do that really get me. The only saving grace is that, since we're private and specific (cancer patients), we don't have to bow to every angry schlub who wheezes about parking or renting three rooms at once. I love being able to lay down the rules and I thank god every day that I'm allowed to.

littlebluellama posted:

Too big.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW6MKj1Rdwk

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Davinci posted:

Seeing a picture is one thing but when they're skittering across your kitchen floor and all their legs are all moving and walking I bet they're a real nightmare.

I'm not trying to sound like a tough guy or anything, I just have a pretty good idea about what freaks me out and what doesn't. Watching that video of the house centipede doesn't, in fact it's speediness and skittering around makes it less creepy for me than the slow, methodical pace of the larger centipedes.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I'm fine with most bugs but I'm definitely in the gently caress THAT NO SIREE house centipede camp. I was opening a till at 5 in the morning once, still mostly asleep, and when I pulled out the cash drawer one of those fuckers popped out of hiding and beelined for my hand. Ear-splitting scream. Drop the tray. Coins everywhere.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

mostlygray posted:

I know they are good for pest control and that they keep the elk and owl population down in ones house, but I still can't handle them. Every time I see one I jump up on a chair like a 1940's Warner Bros. housewife and scream. I'll catch a mouse bare handed and grab wasp by the wings but house centipedes are the devils spawn. It makes me feel sick just to think about them.

Wait, the elk and owl populations? How loving big are these house scorpions that they eat elk? Or does the mad scittering chase them and owls away?

Peeve: when you have one errand to run, and someone wants to tag along, but add on three to five more places to go. Uh, no. I am going out to get pizza. I am not going to the mall first, and then to get gas, and then to get the car washed. No.

Along that line, my mom always goes to one lovely car wash that she always complains about, but she goes every week! The wash is old, so it's super slow, the touch screen barely works, the water sprayer never gets the full back of her car, but she goes every week, always complaining and bitching about how lovely the wash is. It's like some love-hate relationship where she can't stop going. It's an addiction.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I'm fine with most bugs but I'm definitely in the gently caress THAT NO SIREE house centipede camp. I was opening a till at 5 in the morning once, still mostly asleep, and when I pulled out the cash drawer one of those fuckers popped out of hiding and beelined for my hand. Ear-splitting scream. Drop the tray. Coins everywhere.

Agree here, I'm a dude and those fuckers creep me out - not to the point of screaming but "smash that goddamn thing before it crawls on my face in my sleep". Was really bad like 20 years back when I lived at home and decided to take part of the finished basement as my room - they were all over the drat place.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
Dumbest pet peeve ever, but this weekend I had a rough fall while landing a parachute and my knee KILLS but I will have nothing to show for it. The bruise is barely there, the swelling was only noticeable by me, but it hurt like a motherfucker. Dammit, if poo poo's gonna hurt, I want a cool bruise to look at too.

Related peeve: how loving hard it is to get the drat canopy back in the deployment bag. Have you ever tried to stuff a brand-new, slippery sleeping bag back into its container, which is equally slippery? Packing a parachute is like that. I seriously don't know how packers can do that 50 times a day. I have no idea how I'm going to be able to pack a jumpable parachute.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

No, you're totally justified in wishing you were bruised; without a visible injury fuckheads will disbelieve you and poke it to "prove" you're not hurt. I don't understand people sometimes. :ughh:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

AlphaKretin posted:

No, you're totally justified in wishing you were bruised; without a visible injury fuckheads will disbelieve you and poke it to "prove" you're not hurt. I don't understand people sometimes. :ughh:

Or they just tell you to "man up and stop being a baby" when you're in pain. Right up until something serious happens then it's "Why didn't you tell someone sooner!"

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
In regards to bugchat, it actually legitimitely pisses me off when I hear Americans keep talking poo poo about Australia and its spider population. Apparently, you guys think that we surf on a wave of spiders to get to work every morning. Frankly, I'd prefer the comparitively small spiders that I don't even see on a daily basis to those centipedes. :stare:

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

Intoluene posted:

In regards to bugchat, it actually legitimitely pisses me off when I hear Americans keep talking poo poo about Australia and its spider population. Apparently, you guys think that we surf on a wave of spiders to get to work every morning. Frankly, I'd prefer the comparitively small spiders that I don't even see on a daily basis to those centipedes. :stare:

I heard Australians intentionally exaggerate about the pests there to keep the amount of tourists and immigrants down.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Davinci posted:

I heard Australians intentionally exaggerate about the pests there to keep the amount of tourists and immigrants down.

Nah mate, we wouldn't do that. Now, have you heard about drop bears? Those little buggers are my pet peeve.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Davinci posted:

Tourists, no. Immigrants... how ethnic? :australia:

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

AlphaKretin posted:

I had a weird moment last month when my dogs pulled my arm through a small swing gate and it it got sort of bent backwards against a post. It was agony and puffed up to look like a big purple marrow. I couldn't do anything with it, so went to the local non A&E hospital where a nurse felt it a bit and said it was a bad bruise. I felt cheated because something like that is at least a fracture right? For a few minutes I was bitterly dissaoppinted I wasn't getting the cast I deserved.

The thing is, I've had both my arms in plaster cast at the same time after a bike crash and it was the worst thing in the world. I loathed every second of being in casts so why oh why was I dissappointed? Also, when I broke my wrists and hands all those years ago they didn't puff remotely as badly as my bruise did. Stupid body.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Dr Scoofles posted:

I felt cheated because something like that is at least a fracture right? For a few minutes I was bitterly dissaoppinted I wasn't getting the cast I deserved.

To this day I hate fractures more than breaks. Last time I fractured a wrist no one believed me. I was too young to drive or anything so getting to the hospital on my own was out of the question and my parents refused to take me because I had a history of faking poo poo to get out of school and oh boy did I ever learn the classic boy who cried wolf moral the hard way. "Stop whining you big baby!" my mother said when I complained my arm hurt too much to lift something, then she smacked my arm. I haven't faked an illness since.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Facebook's App Store changelog. "We push out a meaningless, several megabyte update, every fortnight even if there's no reason! This is somehow a good thing for you." It's loving spreading too, Spotify now says nothing but "We're always improving, leave updates on so we can force poo poo down your throat." If you don't tell me what's loving changed I'm not trusting that change to be a positive one.

A similar issue, this slowly emerging trend of "live apps" on free WiFi hotspots. Instead of "I agree", it's now "wait for some bloated piece of poo poo to load, hope it doesn't crash my poor old iOS 7 4s, scroll past marketing bullshit that literally no one wants to find the deliberately non-emphasised free wifi button, I agree, hope that doesn't gently caress up (it sometimes will)". And, like with the above peeve, the bastards spin it as a good thing; "look at our awesome LIVE APP! This is what people wanted right?" Don't fix what isn't loving broke, Marketing Department. How egotistical do you need to be to think people will willingly read advertising material that's intrusively hindering the free wifi they thought they were getting?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
People who don't know when to use a phone.

When I'm working and my phone rings I have to drop what I'm doing to take the call. It breaks my concentration, and afterwards I have to take two-three minutes to figure out where I was and start working again.

It's not like it's the nineties or the early 'aughts anymore, we have several ways to keep in touch (e-mail, text messages, instant messaging apps...) besides phone calls, so if you call me while I'm at work it better loving be something important that can't wait until I get off.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Mikl posted:

People who don't know when to use a phone.

When I'm working and my phone rings I have to drop what I'm doing to take the call. It breaks my concentration, and afterwards I have to take two-three minutes to figure out where I was and start working again.

It's not like it's the nineties or the early 'aughts anymore, we have several ways to keep in touch (e-mail, text messages, instant messaging apps...) besides phone calls, so if you call me while I'm at work it better loving be something important that can't wait until I get off.

I like people who use the various speaker or walky-talky features on their phones in public! Nothing quite like hearing a full conversation from three rooms away. Half of the conversation is inevitably "WHAT?" "what?" "NO WHAT DID YOU SAY" "I said what?" because two idiots are shouting into their phones trying to hear eachother over ambient noise instead of just holding it to their ear like a normal person.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

YeahTubaMike posted:

When you let on that you're arachnophobic and your friend's first response is something along the lines of "But they eat bugs/are useful & harmless!" gently caress you, phobias are irrational.

cash crab posted:

Completely unpopular opinion, but I think house centipedes are funny. Also, if it makes anyone (not necessarily you) feel better, they are apex predators and they eat roaches and bed bugs.

:argh:

My cat thinks centipedes are delicious.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

YeahTubaMike posted:

Mine likes roaches. Sometimes I wake up and he's caught one in the night and there's just this hollowed out roach husk on the ground and he's eating all the juicy bits. Funny enough his reaction when one steps on him is the exact same as mine, he starts flailing his limbs and angrily leaping around to find it.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Oh, are we bitching at our pets? Dogs, I love you, really; you're adorable as hell. But ffs stop eating grass, it's not good for your digestive system and I don't like cleaning up your puke. :(

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Speakerphones are my pet peeve. I shouldn't ever hear myself echo back to myself. Its loving rude.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
My roommate talks on speakerphone exclusively. He is by nature a loud (very very loud) person, but even for him it seems excessive.

Bonus: he's a ~~network marketer~~ so everything he says is some bullshit about how cool and good his company is and how they're totally going to make you money, honest!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On the 'invisible illness' front when I came down with appendicitis I had no idea that that was what it was. I initially dismissed it as a stomache bug and tried just staying at home and drinking water. When it didn't go away on it's own I made an appointment with a doctor for the end of the week (The next available time slot). I walked the mile and a half to reach the doctor's office, and was told about what was actually happening after a few tests (namely the finger-in-the-butt, where does it hurt? test) and immediately after my Brain heard the word appendicitis everything just stopped working properly. While waiting for the ambulance I had plastered the bathroom with vomit/bile and then stopped being able to stand up. Beginning of the day I was walking 1.5 miles, 4 hours later walking under my own power at all was difficult. It turned out that I got lucky - it had started leaking and by the time of the operation, a tube had to be put in my stomache cavity to drain the bile. If I had waited any longer to be seen I may have been looking at it bursting, and maybe killing me.

loving close one. (In my defence I had never had appendicitis before [Of course :P] so had no frame of reference).

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

YeahTubaMike posted:

:colbert: Maybe she knows something you don't.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Bomrek posted:

Bonus: he's a ~~network marketer~~ so everything he says is some bullshit about how cool and good his company is and how they're totally going to make you money, honest!

Why is he not in a burlap sack with some bricks in it at the bottom of the nearest body of water

Those guys are the loving worst. When I was in grad school, one of them kept popping up uninvited to tag along with my friends and me to parties. He'd spend the entire night trying to convince random people to join this EXCITING MONEYMAKING OPPORTUNITY which was, of course, an MLM. When he wasn't recruiting people to sell bullshit, he'd go on and on about how we could hire him to "manage our personal brands," which I think entailed little more than making us a LinkedIn profile and proofreading our resumes. Dude, I just spent eight hours in the computer lab doing multivariate regression while listening to the gal at the computer next to me trim her fingernails as loudly as possible. Not only are you spewing a bunch of garbage, you're between me and the keg :argh:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
When the chain of processes (for lack of a better term) fails on my phone or tablet (both androids)

Like, let's say I'm in Awful and I click a YouTube link. YouTube app loads, I watch the video, then I hit back and I'm back in Awful. This is the correct chain of processes.

But sometimes, to continue this example, hitting back doesn't send me back to Awful. It'll send me to the main YouTube page. So I have to manually select Awful again from the task manager. It's a trivial, small thing, but goddamn it's annoying as poo poo when it happens. The worst thing about it is that I can't figure out why it works properly sometimes, and why it doesn't always.

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax

AlphaKretin posted:

Facebook's App Store changelog. "We push out a meaningless, several megabyte update, every fortnight even if there's no reason! This is somehow a good thing for you." It's loving spreading too, Spotify now says nothing but "We're always improving, leave updates on so we can force poo poo down your throat." If you don't tell me what's loving changed I'm not trusting that change to be a positive one.

I just got a new PC laptop. The manufacturer notifies me regularly about updates but doesn't let me see what they are. My options are "install now" or "cancel."

So annoying.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

mamelon posted:

I just got a new PC laptop. The manufacturer notifies me regularly about updates but doesn't let me see what they are. My options are "install now" or "cancel."

So annoying.

This is why I install the bare OS on all my machines the moment I get them. Failing that, PC Decrapifier works in a pinch. Sometimes it shits the bed removing Norton products (I don't hold this against it, I've come close to making GBS threads the bed over Norton products) but that aside it's always performed admirably.

Seriously, OEM shitware is bloat that slows down your system and makes it vulnerable to viruses while providing little to no benefit of any sort to you. Removing it is like getting more RAM and CPU cycles for free.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

On the 'invisible illness' front when I came down with appendicitis I had no idea that that was what it was. I initially dismissed it as a stomache bug and tried just staying at home and drinking water. When it didn't go away on it's own I made an appointment with a doctor for the end of the week (The next available time slot). I walked the mile and a half to reach the doctor's office, and was told about what was actually happening after a few tests (namely the finger-in-the-butt, where does it hurt? test) and immediately after my Brain heard the word appendicitis everything just stopped working properly. While waiting for the ambulance I had plastered the bathroom with vomit/bile and then stopped being able to stand up. Beginning of the day I was walking 1.5 miles, 4 hours later walking under my own power at all was difficult. It turned out that I got lucky - it had started leaking and by the time of the operation, a tube had to be put in my stomache cavity to drain the bile. If I had waited any longer to be seen I may have been looking at it bursting, and maybe killing me.

loving close one. (In my defence I had never had appendicitis before [Of course :P] so had no frame of reference).

I had a really bad gallbladder thing a few years back. I spent over a year just having absolutely god awful stomach issues. Any time I'd eat I'd spend half a day just wishing I was dead because my stomach would be in agony. So I'd go to the doctor and they'd poke various internal organs through my stomach "It's just gas" they'd say and send me home. Meanwhile my sister and my cousin had to get rushed to the hospital within a month of eachother because their gallbladders basically collapsed or ruptured or something. Apparently my generation just has self destructing gallbladders so after asking me about my stomach problems both of them urged me to go to the hospital and get my useless organ pulled out. I brought this up with the doctor and again, just gas. Then about a week later I woke up really early in the morning with the very distinct feeling that something inside me was about to explode. It's painful and near impossible to describe other than "you know when a balloon you have is about to over-inflate and pop? I felt like that" The hospital once again tried to tell me it was just gas while one doctor was prodding me doing tests. After about an hour of waiting another doctor walks in and tells me I needed emergency surgery to prevent my gallbladder from exploding and spewing bile around my body. :shrug:

In short, I don't like doctors anymore. Between that and the guy who kept refusing to listen to my complaints about my medication until I had a seizure while on them, I find it really hard to trust them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

BioEnchanted posted:

Yeah, it really sucks - I recently had a close call, was diagnosed with diverticulitis and a small fistula in the sigmoid colon :( when it happened it felt like appendicitis, only the pain was all centered in my pelvis and low abdomen, I couldn't sleep, had a 102 fever, couldn't eat/drink, and rushed to the ER to get helped. Ended up laid up a week on IV fluids and 2 different antibiotics, came home this past week to recover only to find out today that surgery is inevitable. Just waiting on the doctor to get things scheduled, then it's something like a minimum 2 weeks in hospital, then another 4-6 weeks home recovery and limited to soft food and fiber supplements. Sucks and I'm not looking forward to any of it (especially the hospital bills) but it's gotta be done unless I want the rest of my intestines to get infected and gently caress me up hardcore.