Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

The Ferret King posted:

Or if they drift within 5-8 miles in any given direction of an airport having instrument approaches that go down to ~500ft that far out.

Lotta folks don't understand, it's not just the area immediately over the airport that may be occupied by legal, necessary, low level flight operations.

Do a lot of airports have that kind of approach? A few months after I graduated from RIT, flying quadcopters was forbidden everywhere on campus due to proximity to ROC, which is only about 2 miles north of the campus. I don't think any planes ever flew over but we did have a lot of National Guard helicopters fly over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

brains posted:

as someone who's flown helicopters for the last 7 years and flies almost exclusively 0-1000 AGL, i can tell you that we have a hard enough time avoiding military controlled small UAS (some of which are as big as a compact car), let alone commercial drones.

they don't talk to anyone, they don't observe any type of airspace restriction, and most significantly, they have absolutely gently caress all for situational awareness. don't act like the entire world needs to change to accommodate your glorified electric RC plane hobby. there's a middle ground but it sure as gently caress isn't a 500ft AGL manned aircraft restriction with no changes to drone operators.

I thought at least military UAVs had transponders? WTF?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Mortabis posted:

Do a lot of airports have that kind of approach?

The most common types of approaches in the US have aircraft at 1500-2000ft until about 5 miles from the airport/runway. Then they either drop down immediately to ~500-800ft depending on obstacle clearance, or they gradually descend toward a point about ~200ft above the runway surface.

So 500-800ft at 5 miles is a common altitude in flat areas, though most aircraft would take a more shallow descent angle to the minimum altitude, they could just dump it down. My 8 mile example probably doesn't occur nearly as often. But they're not always aligned with a runway either. You can't be certain, without looking at the airport's approach plates, that the descending aircraft will be aligned with a runway centerline. Some of the approach procedures just point straight to the middle of the airport itself. The closer you get to the airport, the lower they'll be of course. But some procedures allow for pretty low instrument flight a lot farther out than you might expect. These approaches will likely become less and less common as they get replaced by GPS based approaches. The reason for their existence presently, if not for terrain/obstructions, is that the course to be flown from a radio navigational aid has to be either directly TO or FROM the navaid. So if the NAVAID isn't installed in a place that lines up with a runway, they'll draw up an approach that takes the aircraft closest to the airport in a straight line.

Again I'll say that those types of approaches are on the way out, nationwide.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 11, 2015

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Mortabis posted:

There's nothing apalling about it, but the fact that some ultralights and very old GA aircraft don't have electrical systems isn't a good reason to regulate the quadcopter people out of existence. Not that I have a problem with requiring things like strobes, radar reflectors, what have you on the quadcopters.

Ultralights can't fly in controlled airspace and older aircraft (or any GA aircraft) can't fly in class A, B, C airspace without transponders though :confused: Are you a pilot?

brains
May 12, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

I thought at least military UAVs had transponders? WTF?

the larger airframes, like the predators, reapers, global chickens etc. do, but the hand-launched or rail-launched varieties? nope. the only way we avoid mid-airs is to deconflict airspace.

usually what will happen is the UAS operator will open a ROZ (restricted operating zone with established boundaries and altitudes) for launch/recovery and for wherever they are operating, which is then briefed to aviators operating in that area very similar to a NOTAM.

of course, for any of this to actually work safely, the UAS operators have to: 1. actually open a ROZ before firing a SUAS into the great unknown, 2. actually fly inside the ROZ, and 3. actually be trained on basic airspace rules and management, all of which is difficult enough for trained soldiers (who, full disclosure, are not pilots and mostly laymen when it comes to aviation) and would probably go a long way towards safety in the civilian world.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

dev null posted:

Ultralights can't fly in controlled airspace and older aircraft (or any GA aircraft) can't fly in class A, B, C airspace without transponders though :confused: Are you a pilot?
What point do you think you are making here? You're just as dead if your (manned) aircraft crashes into another one no matter what class of airspace you're in.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010
I just flicked through some vids related to that crosswind one and came across this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P9OAng32F0

Do runways not have to be flat? Because that poo poo is not flat.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

warcake posted:

I just flicked through some vids related to that crosswind one and came across this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P9OAng32F0

From your description (crosswind, undulations) I guessed BHX

I watched and it was BHX

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Edit: nothing to see here

dr cum patrol esq fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 11, 2015

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

warcake posted:

There are tons of runways out there that aren't flat. Either they have inconsistencies down the length of them, or they may slope up/down in a certain direction overall.

Sometimes, this causes blind spots where you can taxi onto a runway end and not be able to see the other end due to the elevation change and distance. This reminds me of a runway incursion at CLT (Charlotte, NC) where the regional jet wasn't able to see a small aircraft that taxied into the middle portion of the runway until after they already started takeoff roll. The jet flight crew was able to swerve and slow. This was a combination ATC error with poor pilot phraseology contributing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpzAZR8wz08

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yea some runways have a helluva slope or divets to them.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

warcake posted:

The IP who I soloed under operated off of a grass strip on the side of a hill next to a lake. You took off downhill and landed uphill. It was awesome.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Alereon posted:

What point do you think you are making here? You're just as dead if your (manned) aircraft crashes into another one no matter what class of airspace you're in.

No one cares about flying in unrestricted airspace (drones or otherwise), the issue at hand is drone operations in restricted airspaces, Mortabis commented specifically about aircraft that can't occupy the airspaces that are being discussed.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010
well every day is a school day!

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

dev null posted:

No one cares about flying in unrestricted airspace (drones or otherwise), the issue at hand is drone operations in restricted airspaces, Mortabis commented specifically about aircraft that can't occupy the airspaces that are being discussed.
I think you're missing the forest for the trees here. The point is how to create a system that allows drones to safely co-exist with manned aircraft as an increasing proportion of the aircraft flying today. This necessarily includes a solution for safety in unrestricted airspace, which is unacceptably dangerous today.

One way to do this is to restrict drones to below the "navigable airspace" that could be occupied by aircraft. As The Ferret King mentioned, it can be hard to know where aircraft will be flying low, so it's hard to imagine a good technological solution to enforce this. The closest thing I could think of is some sort of electronic map with maximum altitudes associated with GPS coordinates, but this seems like a recipe for outdated data killing people. Also, sometimes it's necessary to fly above certain minimum altitudes either for mission reasons or for improved radio signal.

Another way to deal with this is to treat drones like manned airplanes and their operators like pilots, expecting them to "see and avoid" other aircraft and provide their own separation. This is impossible for pilots in actual airplanes, as the increasing rate of mid-airs even in controlled airspace should make clear.

The only thing that could potentially work is a technological solution that allows drones to know the position of aircraft around them and avoid them, and/or vice versa. This is why the requirement for ADS-B keeps coming up, but in order for that to work ALL aircraft need to be capable, hence the discussion about what to do about GA jackasses.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Edit: Oh, nevermind.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 11, 2015

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

brains posted:

the larger airframes, like the predators, reapers, global chickens etc. do, but the hand-launched or rail-launched varieties? nope. the only way we avoid mid-airs is to deconflict airspace.

Absolutely false. Everything from scan eagle (~35-50lbs) on up has at least a mode C transponder.

What base are you near that has Mil UAS flying around in non-mil airspace?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Can we make a drone thread

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Captain Apollo posted:

Can we make a drone thread

It'll have to stay below 400 posts.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
ZING!

Does it come with psueo macho bullshit about how drones should be allowed to kill civilians because they have just as much right to be there as any other post?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Captain Apollo posted:

Does it come with psueo macho bullshit about how drones should be allowed to kill civilians because they have just as much right to be there as any other post?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Targeted_killing#Legal_justifications_for_targeted_killing

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

warcake posted:

Lmao have you seen courchevel France?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Butt Reactor posted:

Lmao have you seen courchevel France?

:stare:

NO

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

You know we're talking about mid air collisions and close calls within the contiguous United States, right?

You know we're not talking about drones in a military application abroad, right?

Actually, what was your point? The post was awfully low content.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Have you seen Goldeneye?

(I was going to post a video from Courchevel but couldn't remember its name)

e- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pK9uqF4y7c

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
While I do find it funny when pilots suggest that a kid flying a drone twenty feet up in their back yard needs a no-poo poo pilot's license, the drone users who are just like "move over gramps, I'm droning here" are even more hilarious.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

While I do find it funny when pilots suggest that a kid flying a drone twenty feet up in their back yard needs a no-poo poo pilot's license, the drone users who are just like "move over gramps, I'm droning here" are even more hilarious.

TBH they deserve each other.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

What in God's name

It's like the airport was constructed on a dare.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

It's a somewhat remote ski resort. There's not a ton of options. Also I believe it was constructed in the 50s?

Edit:

There is no runway lighting, there is no ILS or any kind of positioning assistance. There is no go-around procedure.

Apparently you need to be specially certified to do the landing.

There are worse runways in the world.

Edit 2:
This is a neat overview of the approach.

https://youtu.be/IJvjeA4Znts

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 12, 2015

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

Jonny Nox posted:

Edit 2:
This is a neat overview of the approach.

https://youtu.be/IJvjeA4Znts

That's pretty good, using a sim and all that, but how bout the real deal in a Dash-7 :canada:

https://youtu.be/55SswKIn18A

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A Dash-7 is my second on my list of ultimate gently caress-you-got-mine airplanes. Just show up in your -7 to every backwoods bush field get-together full of Super Cubs and Maules with twenty or thirty of your closest friends.

:canada::respek::911:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The short-fieldiest way to make a large pile of money disappear!

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Alereon posted:

One way to do this is to restrict drones to below the "navigable airspace" that could be occupied by aircraft. As The Ferret King mentioned, it can be hard to know where aircraft will be flying low, so it's hard to imagine a good technological solution to enforce this. The closest thing I could think of is some sort of electronic map with maximum altitudes associated with GPS coordinates, but this seems like a recipe for outdated data killing people. Also, sometimes it's necessary to fly above certain minimum altitudes either for mission reasons or for improved radio signal.

Another way to deal with this is to treat drones like manned airplanes and their operators like pilots, expecting them to "see and avoid" other aircraft and provide their own separation. This is impossible for pilots in actual airplanes, as the increasing rate of mid-airs even in controlled airspace should make clear.

The only thing that could potentially work is a technological solution that allows drones to know the position of aircraft around them and avoid them, and/or vice versa. This is why the requirement for ADS-B keeps coming up, but in order for that to work ALL aircraft need to be capable, hence the discussion about what to do about GA jackasses.

DJI does have a "no-fly" GPS map in its drones, but they only looked at airports with IATA codes for passenger service, and if you're not an airport with class B airspace the no-fly radius may not even stretch to include the ends of the runways. So it is possible, but the map with approaches marked out would probably be complex enough to need more storage and maybe more processing power on the drone to cope.

"ADS-B and avoid" is a non-starter in that ADS-B will only be a requirement where Mode C is a requirement today, which is controlled airspace, 30nm from major airports and above certain altitudes. Drones in navigable airspace and manned aircraft operating in those environments will need ADS-B, but that's not the majority of airspace. There are a good number of manned aircraft out there without transponders because their aircraft don't have electrical systems that fly outside of the transponder-needed airspace and drones will need to avoid those aircraft as well. I believe there are companies working on optical "see and avoid" solutions for drones where they can see aircraft approaching and maneuver to avoid them, though nothing ready for primetime yet.

I suspect the approach the FAA will take based on their commercial standards is to say 400 feet and below and 5nm away from airports is still open for non-commercial use without additional requirements, closer to airports or higher than 400 feet will require a "drone pilot license" that is mostly about understanding the regulations, airspace, and how to read aeronautical charts, with a requirement when flying closer/higher to coordinate with ATC when near controlled airspace or arrange for a NOTAM in uncontrolled airspace until drone tech gets better at see and avoid.

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

brains posted:

usually what will happen is the UAS operator will open a ROZ (restricted operating zone with established boundaries and altitudes) for launch/recovery and for wherever they are operating, which is then briefed to aviators operating in that area very similar to a NOTAM.

of course, for any of this to actually work safely, the UAS operators have to: 1. actually open a ROZ before firing a SUAS into the great unknown, 2. actually fly inside the ROZ, and 3. actually be trained on basic airspace rules and management, all of which is difficult enough for trained soldiers (who, full disclosure, are not pilots and mostly laymen when it comes to aviation) and would probably go a long way towards safety in the civilian world.

This isn't accurate. Shadow / RQ-7 is rail-launched and has a mode-c transponder. Further, the training curriculum includes passing the private pilot written exam. Every single time we launched a shadow, we opened a ROZ, and talked to ATC the entire time.

I can't talk for the hand-launched yahoos or that hideous flying trash can, though :)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Alereon posted:

The closest thing I could think of is some sort of electronic map with maximum altitudes associated with GPS coordinates, but this seems like a recipe for outdated data killing people. Also, sometimes it's necessary to fly above certain minimum altitudes either for mission reasons or for improved radio signal.
The old data thing would be pretty simple to deal with from a technical side. Anything with working GPS knows exactly what time it is, so make it refuse to operate outside of a very limited "toy" profile if the data is more than X amount out of date. Figure out a standard format for the data and make it the FAA's (or other local regulatory authority as appropriate) responsibility to provide it so we can be confident everyone's running on the same information and if a manufacturer disappears the owners of their products will still be able to get the required updates. Add digital signatures to prevent tampering.

As far as the rest, drones should obviously be the ones to yield right-of-way to manned craft in pretty much any situation I can think of because they're almost always going to be more maneuverable and have the least to lose if the avoidance maneuver goes wrong. That said the easiest way to make sure this happens is to mandate ADS-B or something comparable in all GA, so IMO the solution is to tell the "no electronics" crowd to gently caress off.

It's not like small, battery operated, near-1GHz, GPS equipped radio devices are expensive technology these days. There are probably regulatory issues to resolve about what would effectively be a portable transponder, but I see no technical reason why one couldn't have a box that was basically the size of a smartphone with a pair of antenna ports for GPS and transmit, otherwise packed with batteries, which would allow even the lightest of ultralights to add ADS-B with no effort other than attaching the box and antennas somewhere appropriate.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

wolrah posted:

The old data thing would be pretty simple to deal with from a technical side. Anything with working GPS knows exactly what time it is, so make it refuse to operate outside of a very limited "toy" profile if the data is more than X amount out of date. Figure out a standard format for the data and make it the FAA's (or other local regulatory authority as appropriate) responsibility to provide it so we can be confident everyone's running on the same information and if a manufacturer disappears the owners of their products will still be able to get the required updates. Add digital signatures to prevent tampering.

As far as the rest, drones should obviously be the ones to yield right-of-way to manned craft in pretty much any situation I can think of because they're almost always going to be more maneuverable and have the least to lose if the avoidance maneuver goes wrong. That said the easiest way to make sure this happens is to mandate ADS-B or something comparable in all GA, so IMO the solution is to tell the "no electronics" crowd to gently caress off.

It's not like small, battery operated, near-1GHz, GPS equipped radio devices are expensive technology these days. There are probably regulatory issues to resolve about what would effectively be a portable transponder, but I see no technical reason why one couldn't have a box that was basically the size of a smartphone with a pair of antenna ports for GPS and transmit, otherwise packed with batteries, which would allow even the lightest of ultralights to add ADS-B with no effort other than attaching the box and antennas somewhere appropriate.

lol if you think it isn't trivially easy to spoof GPS time and location.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Midjack posted:

lol if you think it isn't trivially easy to spoof GPS time and location.

Isn't that how Iran tricked that UAV into landing?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

wolrah posted:

You've obviously never been exposed to the world of aviation regulation. This is not a technical challenge, it's a political and regulatory one: The FAA is one of the world's most glacial bureaucracies.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Captain Apollo posted:

You know we're talking about mid air collisions and close calls within the contiguous United States, right?

You know we're not talking about drones in a military application abroad, right?

Actually, what was your point? The post was awfully low content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CommieGIR posted:

Isn't that how Iran tricked that UAV into landing?

That's the story.