Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Octopode posted:

It costs $45 plus applicable taxes for (theoretical) access to both the (proposed) MMO and single player games (which are likely getting combined into the MMO for technical reasons as happened with E:D), and everything else can be obtained through (probably extremely grindy) gameplay (in order to prevent people who dropped $18,000 on some ships to not get too rageful).

Fixed, you're welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

This is an astonishingly good post.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Supposedly the Austin studio is for minor stuff while the Imagnarium is for the EPIC poo poo like Gary Oldman being constipated in front of the UEE Senate.

The real answer is because :homebrew:.

I recall someone on here stating the Austin studio was being rented out to other people and is apparently paying for itself, however nothing ever supported that.

I'm sure if someone really went back and looked they'll find a significant number of wasted side projects that never really took off.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Incombibulator posted:

I feel so dirty and ashamed.

you should. You were given the perfect opportunity to air-horn the middle of Sandi's weird rear end speech and you blew it!

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Theoretically earning a ship in game won't be heavily time intensive. Upgrading it will be.

So yea, the price points are really high and don't warrant those levels of spending if your aim is to become a theoretical space admiral

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Erenthal posted:

Yeah, this just screams huge balance issue to me.

Scenario 1: Ships are fairly easy to earn through in game money. Whales will scream in fury when a 14-year old with too much time on his hands will be able to match their 2000$+ ship within the first week.

Scenario 2: Ships, at least the big headliners, are incredibly grindy to earn, dissuading everyone except the most determined of eastern european bot-net grinders. Whales are secure in their superiority, but CGI might as well admit that they sell pay-to-win DLC.

Not going to lie, the fact that the backers are screaming "YEAH THOSE PAY TO WIN GAMES SUCK" while others of their number spend tens of thousands on ships is fantastic.

Crow_Robot posted:

Which is funny because the OG Star Citizen kickstarter page explicitly mentions not being pay to win.

I think that it's far, far more likely that they'll meet every single one of their scope creeped features, including farming space weed and storing dead space hookers, than it is likely that they'd not find a way to go back on this. They probably don't even have to be sneaky about it, if the cheers for "no release date" are any indication, they'd just need to point to the "overwhelming desire of our backers to continue supporting us monetarily".

Barring that, they'd probably just have something like ship skins or ship paint or space hats that can be bought for real money and "returned" for in-game currency, and then just turn a blind eye to the inevitable secondary market.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I'll say it once and you may quote me on this. Octopode is not very bright.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Crow_Robot posted:

At least they can be obtained through gameplay.

I mean considering those price tags it'll likely take a stupid amount of time but I guess that's something.

e: Also it looks like most of that money is going toward the single player/cinematic story thing which I can't imagine will appease most fans.

I've got a bridge and some prime swamp land to sell anyone that believes that these ships are going to be obtainable through regular gameplay. If this game ever comes out, and that's a big if, there's no way CIG is going to make their endless supply of cash cow .jpgs readily obtainable without $$$ being offered up. Their fanboys would be outraged that their "super special" $10,000 ships are available to the unwashed masses.

Of course, the true believers are readily slurping up anything that CRoberts shits out, so maybe they will just accept it.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

ryde posted:

Playing devil's advocate: Can't get enough time at Imaginarium or its more expensive. Use your own mo-cap studio for the non-critical pieces, and the high-end studio for the Hollywood-level mo-cap.

Being the reaslist: Its almost certainly a stupid move entirely based on CR wanting to be a Hollywood producer.

They shelled out for 2+ months of performance capture (way more involved than just mocap) shooting at Imaginarium, which - while i can't get an exact price here cause It Depends On Things™ - isn't going to leave you much change out of like $100k a day, so that's like $7 million right there before you've even paid the talent. So whatever they paid for their little mocap studio in Austin is pretty much just a rounding error at this point.

nb: 2 months of performance capture is about what it took to do all of Avatar

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Gerbil_Pen posted:

Theoretically earning a ship in game won't be heavily time intensive. Upgrading it will be.

So yea, the price points are really high and don't warrant those levels of spending if your aim is to become a theoretical space admiral

This is a huge problem with the whole thing for me. Say CIG are able to do everything they promised, in budget and on time.

You then have a game where people are dropping $15,000 on ships. How many hours of play time would be required to acquire a ship worth $15,000 to pre order?

Someone is going to get hosed in that situation. Either it'll be the backer whales or it will be the normal players. I have no idea which CIG would choose to gently caress, because if they gently caress the whales they already have their money but who knows how much more they could squeeze out of them, but if they gently caress the players then their game will be a horrendously grindy failure.

And this is the absolutely perfect scenario when it comes to the game's progress and release. The thing's rotten at the core.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
It's fine. Those people just handed fifteen thousand dollars to CIG and got a ship in return as a gift. There's no way those people can be mad, they got free ships.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Incombibulator posted:

You should eat some cake.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Chalks posted:

This is a huge problem with the whole thing for me. Say CIG are able to do everything they promised, in budget and on time.

You then have a game where people are dropping $15,000 on ships. How many hours of play time would be required to acquire a ship worth $15,000 to pre order?

Someone is going to get hosed in that situation. Either it'll be the backer whales or it will be the normal players. I have no idea which CIG would choose to gently caress, because if they gently caress the whales they already have their money but who knows how much more they could squeeze out of them, but if they gently caress the players then their game will be a horrendously grindy failure.

And this is the absolutely perfect scenario when it comes to the game's progress and release. The thing's rotten at the core.

Exactly. But everything about the true believers in this project (Reddit/Brown Sea) just defies even the most basic elements of logic and reasoning. At this point, CRoberts could tell the whales that their ships are going to be available to the public for free and they would probably applaud it, even though they dropped tens of thousands on obtaining it - all because the vision.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This is really good.

I agree.

poo poo is kinda hosed, and I'm having a hard time seeing how they're going to get a revenue once the game launches, because they've sucked the well completely dry. On the other hand, lots of mobile games literally make millions a day, so plenty of idiots out there. Especially if they make some sort stupid mini-game for your phone.

Contrary to most goons (and in line with the article), I actually thought the sc 2.0 demo looked kinda alright, or at least showed more promise of an actual game, than anything else we've seen so far. It looked janky as hell, but I wasn't really expecting a fully polished, optimized build of anything at this point. If they had one, we would have seen alpha-builds ages ago.

Does it look like something that's going to be here in 2 weeks or even 2 months, no, hell no, not at all. I did think it demonstrated pretty well that they've (more or less) successfully integrated the main components of the "game". Social, spaceship, fps within a reasonably large play area. It'll probably be actually playable, by that I mean similiar to arena-commander (ie. bugs and issues all over the place), in a year or something - if they don't run out of money before that. This also hinges on the assumption, that the framework we saw is actually a working framework, not some bullshit cobbled together by gaffa and chewing gum (nothing I saw leads me to believe the latter though).

I also still don't really get why people are so surprised that it has massive delays, given CRs track-record and quadrupling (quindrupling in like 6 months) of the originally planned budget, and the following massive scope/feature additions, I don't think it's weird or surprising that they're 2 years behind schedule. If anything the problems with that is entirely CRs own fault, he is apparently incredibly bad at predicting deadlines or willfully stringing people along. If when they hit 40m (and could see no end in sight for the increasing revenue) had said, well, this is going to be delayed for probably 2 years, I think he'd be in a better spot now - but possibly people would have stopped pledging, so in a worse spot maybe, who knows.

Someone mentioned the witcher 3 for 70m (much of that marketing), I'll counter with GTA V. A veteran, proven studio, with all mangement and development/art pipelines in full operation, a 260m budget and a 5 year development time (a 1000 man team) and it was a bug-ridden mess when it launched, meaningless comparisons are pretty meaningless.

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 11, 2015

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Incombibulator posted:

Write up your experiences at the event please, don't skip any minor details.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

A Neurotic Jew posted:

you should. You were given the perfect opportunity to air-horn the middle of Sandi's weird rear end speech and you blew it!

Speaking of which, has anyone done the 2015 Con Airhorn Highlights?

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Furious Mittens posted:

Exactly. But everything about the true believers in this project (Reddit/Brown Sea) just defies even the most basic elements of logic and reasoning. At this point, CRoberts could tell the whales that their ships are going to be available to the public for free and they would probably applaud it, even though they dropped tens of thousands on obtaining it - all because the vision.

This is why LTI should have been such a big deal. Make it so that you could never lose a ship that you paid cash for, and make it super expensive to insure a ship you acquired in-game. Then gradually raise the price of the ships to reward the original backers.

Then keep selling ships on the cash shop after the game is launched, still with LTI.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Prop Wash posted:

Is it an issue, then, that their intent is for the engine to handle large-scale spaceship battles while still being able to individually model and render cheekbones

As far as I know, most engines have the ability to alter levels of details and the cheek stuff shouldn't conflict with the spaceship battle stuff in a well-designed engine. My concern was more around stuff like how the FPS mechanics interact with the netcode -- if you're entirely focused on a local, single-player only experience then you may be making technical decisions that don't work well over a network. That being said, having a FPS plus space-sim plus persistent universe, plus everything else is a problem of scope. You have the immediate hit of simply having more poo poo to develop, assuming its not covered by your engine already. There's also the knock-on effects of making your codebase harder to learn and reason about, which makes refactoring and new features more difficult.

Incremental development is great because it helps you both manage scope creep and your code quality at the same time. As you add in new features, you can do any necessary code clean-up to keep the scale manageable, and regression test against your already-working production product. Assuming your turn-over isn't poo poo, you will also have minted a bunch of senior developers that have a good understanding of the problem domain. They can help newer developers get up to speed and work on improving the design for the larger product.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Amazing new reveal at day 2 of Citcon, I'm surprised they didn't open with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_6CZ2JaEuc

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Amun Khonsu posted:

I warned about this many months ago. No surprise there.

gently caress that, I warned of this 2 goddamn years ago in a private convo with Toast. Guess he wanted to get a paying job at CIG rather than heed it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Chocobo posted:

Amazing new reveal at day 2 of Citcon, I'm surprised they didn't open with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_6CZ2JaEuc

There's day 2? What?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

ryde posted:

As far as I know, most engines have the ability to alter levels of details and the cheek stuff shouldn't conflict with the spaceship battle stuff in a well-designed engine. My concern was more around stuff like how the FPS mechanics interact with the netcode -- if you're entirely focused on a local, single-player only experience then you may be making technical decisions that don't work well over a network. That being said, having a FPS plus space-sim plus persistent universe, plus everything else is a problem of scope. You have the immediate hit of simply having more poo poo to develop, assuming its not covered by your engine already. There's also the knock-on effects of making your codebase harder to learn and reason about, which makes refactoring and new features more difficult.

Incremental development is great because it helps you both manage scope creep and your code quality at the same time. As you add in new features, you can do any necessary code clean-up to keep the scale manageable, and regression test against your already-working production product. Assuming your turn-over isn't poo poo, you will also have minted a bunch of senior developers that have a good understanding of the problem domain. They can help newer developers get up to speed and work on improving the design for the larger product.

They managed to break mouse aim in the FPS module while using CryEngine and cited it as a major reason for delay. Do not underestimate their ability to completely and utterly fail at basic levels.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Stanko-Prussian posted:

They shelled out for 2+ months of performance capture (way more involved than just mocap) shooting at Imaginarium, which - while i can't get an exact price here cause It Depends On Things™ - isn't going to leave you much change out of like $100k a day, so that's like $7 million right there before you've even paid the talent. So whatever they paid for their little mocap studio in Austin is pretty much just a rounding error at this point.

nb: 2 months of performance capture is about what it took to do all of Avatar

Anyone know the likelihood that they'd have to re-do the Hollywood mo-cap stuff? Since their basic engine isn't fully cooked, they're presumably designing missions, and subsequently the story, around things that they're not entirely sure they can accomplish in-game, right?

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
It's a week long event.

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

CrazyLoon posted:

gently caress that, I warned of this 2 goddamn years ago in a private convo with Toast. Guess he wanted to get a paying job at CIG rather than heed it.

heh, its hard to believe someone of Toast's temperament and intelligence is wound up in CIG drama, but yeah.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

ryde posted:

they couldnt even get their fps mini-game module to work and ended up scrapping it last night oh i mean they didnt scrap it they rolled it into their PU that has an undetermined release date

edit: who the gently caress is toast?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Gerbil_Pen posted:

At this point even that is changing. They are now redoing everything as modular. The old tree was to buy a base ship with base "parts." You could then upgrade the weapons/engines/shields/etc however if you felt inclined could "tweak" and mod these parts to perform a specific way and sell your version of the part. That's why they initially sold the $10 work bench I believe.

And if anyone believes for a second the $25-$100 upgrade shop for modules will end once this atrocity is eventually squeezed out, they're delusional.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
stop theorycrafting for a game that doesn't exist you dumbs

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
What I think most likely will happen is that we do get a game that's released, but due to terrible management, as well as time and budget constraints, we get a terrible, janky, unplayable mess that was clearly rushed to market that makes X4: Rebirth seem like a smooth release. The patches that come are too little, too late, and the game falls into obscurity.

Not as exciting as the project imploding on itself, but there's nothing stopping them from taking their unfinished "alpha" and shipping it as is. This is, of course, running on the assumption that the money lasts long enough to slap together an alpha, since we don't even have that yet.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

They managed to break mouse aim in the FPS module while using CryEngine and cited it as a major reason for delay. Do not underestimate their ability to completely and utterly fail at basic levels.

Agrajag posted:

they couldnt even get their fps mini-game module to work and ended up scrapping it last night oh i mean they didnt scrap it they rolled it into their PU that has an undetermined release date

Yeah, they're obviously screwing up the development process, but I was just responding to the idea that dropping FPS as a standalone thing was a stalling tactic. Its actually walking back a decision that I view as a very bad one. There still remains a host of problems in the development of this game, and one good decision isn't going to make it less of a poo poo-show.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wait did CIG actually ban someone from the forums for their post history and claim that it was always toxic/hostile about the game when in reality they've only been critical of CIG as of late?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Chilli on Vindicator for dinner tonight, looking forward to it.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Unfunny Poster posted:

Wait did CIG actually ban someone from the forums for an arbitrary reason because they weren't towing the party line?

you state that as if that hasn't been a common theme for a long time now

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I agree.

poo poo is kinda hosed, and I'm having a hard time seeing how they're going to get a revenue once the game launches, because they've sucked the well completely dry. On the other hand, lots of mobile games literally make millions a day, so plenty of idiots out there. Especially if they make some sort stupid mini-game for your phone.

Contrary to most goons (and in line with the article), I actually thought the sc 2.0 demo looked kinda alright, or at least showed more promise of an actual game, than anything else we've seen so far. It looked janky as hell, but I wasn't really expecting a fully polished, optimized build of anything at this point. If they had one, we would have seen alpha-builds ages ago.

Does it look like something that's going to be here in 2 weeks or even 2 months, no, hell no, not at all. I did think it demonstrated pretty well that they've (more or less) successfully integrated the main components of the "game". Social, spaceship, fps within a reasonably large play area. It'll probably be actually playable, by that I mean similiar to arena-commander (ie. bugs and issues all over the place), in a year or something - if they don't run out of money before that. This also hinges on the assumption, that the framework we saw is actually a working framework, not some bullshit cobbled together by gaffa and chewing gum (nothing I saw leads me to believe the latter though).

I also still don't really get why people are so surprised that it has massive delays, given CRs track-record and quadrupling (quindrupling in like 6 months) of the originally planned budget, and the following massive scope/feature additions, I don't think it's weird or surprising that they're 2 years behind schedule. If anything the problems with that is entirely CRs own fault, he is apparently incredibly bad at predicting deadlines or willfully stringing people along. If when they hit 40m (and could see no end in sight for the increasing revenue) had said, well, this is going to be delayed for probably 2 years, I think he'd be in a better spot now - but possibly people would have stopped pledging, so in a worse spot maybe, who knows.

Someone mentioned the witcher 3 for 70m (much of that marketing), I'll counter with GTA V. A veteran, proven studio, with all mangement and development/art pipelines in full operation, a 260m budget and a 5 year development time (a 1000 man team) and it was a bug-ridden mess when it launched, meaningless comparisons are pretty meaningless.

What the gently caress?

Did you really just compare this poo poo to Grand Theft Auto 5?

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Capntastic posted:

I'm still catching up on the thread but lemme add some details:

The person trolling the LGBT thread is and was one of the largest people in SC's grey market. At the time they were handling a lot of business on the SC forums themselves (when they openly allowed it) and he had several stickied threads. He was spurring new backers by being a conduit for them to get LTI ships that they wouldn't be able to otherwise, and was a big name in the community.

I'd sent in concierge tickets and personally emailed and messaged Ben on twitter, and even though the person in question had literally made comics about how gay people were flamboyant attention seekers, they saw nothing wrong. The LGBT Clan thread was deleted and the creator was told not to re-open it. LGBT Clans were allowed in Star Citizen, they just were not allowed to be so darned public about it.

After the LGBT thread was closed, the troll made a new thread for like "Gypsy Native American Wiccans" or something and the mods did not see fit to close it because it wasn't "certain" to be a joke at the expense of the LGBT people CIG had just told to shut the gently caress up and stay out of sight.

This all happened shortly before goons on the SC forums started to point out a lot of the mod circle hypocrisy (many were locking ship trading threads and then privately messaging people to cut deals of their own), and Ben Lesnick refused to believe his handpicked superfans could do such things. He said that any attempts to undermine the infallible mods were the actions of people that were toxic to the community.

After like a week of my CS ticket floating around, Ben re-opened the LGBT thread, and issued a general warning (he wouldn't want to name any specific names and target anyone!), and told me that he can't fault Baragoon for making actual hatespeech comics, because "goons were targeting him and getting him riled up". When Baragoon posted more, the thread was locked because it was causing too many problems.

Since then, any thread about "how come there's no women, or black people, in Star Citizen?" or anything at all from a viewpoint that is not 100% Good Old Scifi Boy, is shot the gently caress off the forums immediately.

The SC forum moderates by trying to keep things as quiet as possible, and if that means letting misogynists, racists, and bigots stomp on everyone, they will empower them to do so- simply by locking threads to quell arguments. There have been no internal efforts to expand upon SC's near monoculture of Straight White Males and anyone noticing this is dismissed as trying to stir up drama. Many of my friends and people I've talked to are super uncomfortable about having backed a game with such disdain for anyone not part of their "demographic".

While literal racists bigots saying that queer people are subhuman were being coddled on the forums, goons were being banned for having parody signatures, because it was hurting people's feelings.

Best drat Space Simulator Ever.
Yes. This is pretty much what I witnessed from the side lines. Hate it.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Tokit posted:

What the gently caress?

Yes, that's EXACTLY what I did, you cracked this case wide open.

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Yes, that's EXACTLY what I did, you cracked this case wide open.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Tokit posted:

What the gently caress?

What was broken about gta v at launch?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I've requested a refund for my Aurora.

DiHK posted:

I am requesting this refund because after 3 years of development there has been very little overall progress that I can discern. In fact, since I bought into this "game" in April of 2014 the progress on the space flight game has been dismal. Whole games have been funded and completed in that time. If the vision and scope of this game is so great that you can't make the it, then you need to reign in your features, put out a playable game you can make, and iterate on that.

The scope of this game has grown far past the original development goals that it is scarcely the game I originally "invested" in. What was one game has become 3 or 4 games, depending on how you count it, and if you hadn't changed the TOS you would be in breech of contract.

If I am going to have to buy Squadron 42 as a stand alone game then there is no point in retaining the one ship I have for Star Citizen. The former may or may not be worth the play experience and I do not believe there will ever be a point where C. Roberts vision will be satisfied, so the latter is basically a unicorn.

I don't believe in unicorns and I will not be your leprechaun. Furthermore, I have a new baby and that's like 2 boxes of diapers. Please return my "investment" and feel free to remove my account from the register.

I think I hit all the highlights without being too goony about it.

edit: when I quote myself it comes up yellow, i'm into this meta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Capntastic posted:

I'm still catching up on the thread but lemme add some details:

The person trolling the LGBT thread is and was one of the largest people in SC's grey market. At the time they were handling a lot of business on the SC forums themselves (when they openly allowed it) and he had several stickied threads. He was spurring new backers by being a conduit for them to get LTI ships that they wouldn't be able to otherwise, and was a big name in the community.

I'd sent in concierge tickets and personally emailed and messaged Ben on twitter, and even though the person in question had literally made comics about how gay people were flamboyant attention seekers, they saw nothing wrong. The LGBT Clan thread was deleted and the creator was told not to re-open it. LGBT Clans were allowed in Star Citizen, they just were not allowed to be so darned public about it.

After the LGBT thread was closed, the troll made a new thread for like "Gypsy Native American Wiccans" or something and the mods did not see fit to close it because it wasn't "certain" to be a joke at the expense of the LGBT people CIG had just told to shut the gently caress up and stay out of sight.

This all happened shortly before goons on the SC forums started to point out a lot of the mod circle hypocrisy (many were locking ship trading threads and then privately messaging people to cut deals of their own), and Ben Lesnick refused to believe his handpicked superfans could do such things. He said that any attempts to undermine the infallible mods were the actions of people that were toxic to the community.

After like a week of my CS ticket floating around, Ben re-opened the LGBT thread, and issued a general warning (he wouldn't want to name any specific names and target anyone!), and told me that he can't fault Baragoon for making actual hatespeech comics, because "goons were targeting him and getting him riled up". When Baragoon posted more, the thread was locked because it was causing too many problems.

Since then, any thread about "how come there's no women, or black people, in Star Citizen?" or anything at all from a viewpoint that is not 100% Good Old Scifi Boy, is shot the gently caress off the forums immediately.

The SC forum moderates by trying to keep things as quiet as possible, and if that means letting misogynists, racists, and bigots stomp on everyone, they will empower them to do so- simply by locking threads to quell arguments. There have been no internal efforts to expand upon SC's near monoculture of Straight White Males and anyone noticing this is dismissed as trying to stir up drama. Many of my friends and people I've talked to are super uncomfortable about having backed a game with such disdain for anyone not part of their "demographic".

While literal racists bigots saying that queer people are subhuman were being coddled on the forums, goons were being banned for having parody signatures, because it was hurting people's feelings.

Best drat Space Simulator Ever.

Confirming this is basically what happened. When Ben was hit up by a video game news site about this poo poo, he ignored/handwaved the issues off and when this stuff was mentioned in an article said it was just the site looking for clickbait.

• Locked thread