Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

DiHK posted:

I've requested a refund for my Aurora.

I think I hit all the highlights without being too goony about it.

edit: when I quote myself it comes up yellow, i'm into this meta.

ill be your unicorn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Imagine Freespace 3 but with Elite Dangerous' combat mechanics. And Elite Dangerous' graphics.

And Robert Loggia doing a voice.

Would you go for that or anything Chris Roberts comes up with?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Nation posted:

ill be your unicorn

No.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-AJ9d6A2Yk

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ShredsYouSay posted:

Imagine Freespace 3 but with Elite Dangerous' combat mechanics. And Elite Dangerous' graphics.

I would go for a hot dog at Doobies before I gave Chris Roberts money.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm pretty unacquainted with this whole thing, but that loving spaceship in the video, look at how much of the screen real-estate is devoted to control panels or structural beams and poo poo:

This would be really cool on a space freighter or some other slow plodding ship that is supposed to feel like a dumptruck, but from the looks of this, this is some sort of combat ship that flies around and stuff, right?

Even the fighters have a poo poo ton of doodads and bullshit obscuring your view.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Nation posted:

ill be your unicorn

Actually, wait, can you do this?
Unicorn Poop

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Someone post the funny Star Marine/other videos please, I can't find them in the literal 3000 posts that have been made since yesterday.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

Actually compare these cutscenes...

From 15 years ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khIWdolT9xY

From last night.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EC4WHPxnrk

Which makes you more interested in the game?

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

The press version of the multicrew demo shows a bit more of the FPS gameplay and it looks loving BAAAD. The weapons don't animate or recoil at all when fired and there's no visible feedback on whether you've hit or not.

After playing hundreds of hours of ARMA I thought I was immune to clunkyness but this is just on a another level. WTF did they do for 12 months?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm pretty unacquainted with this whole thing, but that loving spaceship in the video, look at how much of the screen real-estate is devoted to control panels or structural beams and poo poo:

This would be really cool on a space freighter or some other slow plodding ship that is supposed to feel like a dumptruck, but from the looks of this, this is some sort of combat ship that flies around and stuff, right?

Even the fighters have a poo poo ton of doodads and bullshit obscuring your view.

It's basically a space freighter.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

It would have been cool if the space ship had a defense gun that blasted people instead of people stealing it like a battlefield 1942 airplane. It would be cool if this was actually a game. The premise here being they knew how to make a game.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

What was broken about gta v at launch?

Nothing as far as I know. I beat it without any issues on a nearly end of life console with effectively 256 megs of ram. If anything, the fact that it ran and looked as well as it did is some kind of voodoo miracle.

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.
GTA5 is a video game you can go out and buy right now and actually play.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

ShredsYouSay posted:

At least we technically have Freespace 3 courtesy of the community via Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius and War in Heaven

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrU_3JtsQXM

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

DiHK posted:

Actually, wait, can you do this?
Unicorn Poop

color is purely based upon my diet but i can squat drop into anything

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

kikkelivelho posted:

The press version of the multicrew demo shows a bit more of the FPS gameplay and it looks loving BAAAD. The weapons don't animate or recoil at all when fired and there's no visible feedback on whether you've hit or not.

After playing hundreds of hours of ARMA I thought I was immune to clunkyness but this is just on a another level. WTF did they do for 12 months?

coke

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Nation posted:

color is purely based upon my diet but i can squat drop into anything

Hired.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's basically a space freighter.

Fair enough, but why use a space freighter for your cool demo?

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

Bolow posted:

At least we technically have Freespace 3 courtesy of the community via Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius and War in Heaven

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrU_3JtsQXM

That looked cool, but when I tried to play it the nav buoys didn't show up in the first mission :shrug:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

ShredsYouSay posted:

That looked cool, but when I tried to play it the nav buoys didn't show up in the first mission :shrug:

Were you using the FS2O .exe or the one provided by the Blue Planet guys? IIRC the .exe's are now on the same branch again so you no longer need to do that

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

A lot of space and flight sims, back in the day, had rastered images covering most of the screen, so that only the window outside is rendered in real-time. It gave the illusion of a full-screen cockpit but really only half or even third of the screen was being rendered constantly. This was because computers weren't as power as they are now, so developers had to use cutarounds and tricks to keep things moving smoothly without turning the game into an unplayable mess.

So, it's basically Roberts going back to his old design choices from Wing Commander, without realizing that we don't need to to that anymore. As well, having the cockpit rendered in 3D and in FPS would now have an effect on rendering.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

They managed to break mouse aim in the FPS module while using CryEngine and cited it as a major reason for delay. Do not underestimate their ability to completely and utterly fail at basic levels.

That bug is a shining example over how they've been running in place for at least a year.

I mean, of course it wasn't going to work.

When did they ever think it was ok to spend a year building what could be equaled as a game in itself and then try to merge the two together so far along the process.

I think someone there finally realized that they've completely hosed up the past couple years, and in order to actually progress they've had to take a massive step back and begin anew for much of the game. However, this means they had to focus on one of the modules to be the new "core" and develop from that point. I'm speculating, but given the presentation it seems like the F42 module was the one to use.

this would explain a few things:

- Why the released footage doesn't match or even show as much progression as the earlier builds.
- Why some of the bugs appear to be from things that should have been fixed long ago
- Why Sataball, Zero G, and the Ender Arena was dropped
- Why the FPS demo included so many SQ42 assets

And most importantly it would explain why the previous SCRUM development has shifted and now all the modules are single builds- it's because all the separate ones are so divergent that they are impossible to merge at this point.

Octopedo
Oct 11, 2015

by Cowcaster

AP posted:

When Octopode gets back he's going to make out he's been trolling the Star Citizen threads for 3 years, just go with it and try not to give him a hard time. This has all got to hurt a lot so just play along if you can.

I'm sorry that reality doesn't fall neatly into the personal narrative you've constructed where all people who choose to spend money on a game of their choosing suffer from some mental disorder that you get to play the hero and save them from. The reality is that people see something in the game that excites them, and they are willing to spend $500,000 in a single day to support it.

One day when you have a 2% completed project that brings in half a million us dollars to celebrate the date of its very inception, you can talk poo poo.

Good day sir.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Think this thread told him about Rebel Galaxy. Looks fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F2wKnFvF4I

I don't think you can spend 10,000 on ships though.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Fair enough, but why use a space freighter for your cool demo?

Because it's also Chris Roberts' Mary Sue starship that's supposed to be the Millennium Falcon but also with its own snub fighter and more missiles than God and for only $100 more you can get a better one with a hot tub.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

BitBasher posted:

Nothing as far as I know. I beat it without any issues on a nearly end of life console with effectively 256 megs of ram. If anything, the fact that it ran and looked as well as it did is some kind of voodoo miracle.

Console, yeah, I think he was referring to the PC launch.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

OhDearGodNo posted:

I think someone there finally realized that they've completely hosed up the past couple years, and in order to actually progress they've had to take a massive step back and begin anew for much of the game. However, this means they had to focus on one of the modules to be the new "core" and develop from that point. I'm speculating, but given the presentation it seems like the F42 module was the one to use.

This is almost certainly the case in my opinion.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

kikkelivelho posted:

The live and press version are so bound by the script they need to take the exact same path. Even the "firefight" is likely completely scripted. Hell, in the press version some of the shots seem to come from nowhere.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

Also, why have there not been any demos of a proper big fleet engagement? Capital ships, fighters that sort of stuff. Like that thing Elite Dangerous did...

From two years ago...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE8B4KptyVI

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

literally turning into seraph :ohdear:

e: oh, I thought he was probation evading, but it's just another shtick

Octopedo
Oct 11, 2015

by Cowcaster
Hello world! This whole debacle shattered my psyche, creating a mental rift from which this new alter ego was formed.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

ShredsYouSay posted:

Also, why have there not been any demos of a proper big fleet engagement? Capital ships, fighters that sort of stuff. Like that thing Elite Dangerous did...

From two years ago...

The engine would't be able to handle it, both in scale and resources used.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is there a compiled list of videogames that have come out since the SC kickstarter that do some or all of what SC promises to do?
E: cause there's a shitton of them being posted in this thread.
EE: I mean mostly the space combat, otherwise you could just post 2013-2015games.txt

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Berious posted:

Think this thread told him about Rebel Galaxy. Looks fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F2wKnFvF4I

I don't think you can spend 10,000 on ships though.

Angels fall first is probably a better bet, for something similiar. Developed by like 7 guys with no budget. Oh dear god, did I just compare star citizen of AFF?!? What's wrong with me, why can't I stop comparing games.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

OhDearGodNo posted:

The engine would't be able to handle it, both in scale and resources used.

I have to say, Freelancer was a pretty good game. I wonder how much that had to do with Chris Roberts.

I'm guessing he put in all the "Yes I'm with the --Liberty Police. We don't run this place, but we have a relationship with the people who do. Card?--Buy more spaceships, I can't do business with you"

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Octopedo posted:

I'm sorry that reality doesn't fall neatly into the personal narrative you've constructed where all people who choose to spend money on a game of their choosing suffer from some mental disorder that you get to play the hero and save them from. The reality is that people see something in the game that excites them, and they are willing to spend $500,000 in a single day to support it.

One day when you have a 2% completed project that brings in half a million us dollars to celebrate the date of its very inception, you can talk poo poo.

Good day sir.

This is a good post. Please keep doing that.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

OWLS! posted:

Is there a compiled list of videogames that have come out since the SC kickstarter that do some or all of what SC promises to do?
E: cause there's a shitton of them being posted in this thread.
EE: I mean mostly the space combat, otherwise you could just post 2013-2015games.txt

Depends on if you're looking for "a game which has actually released that I want to install and play now" (ED) or "a game which is still in dev but has released alphas/betas that show that they're actually capable of shipping something" (pretty much all the other ones mentioned)

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

OhDearGodNo posted:

That bug is a shining example over how they've been running in place for at least a year.

I mean, of course it wasn't going to work.

When did they ever think it was ok to spend a year building what could be equaled as a game in itself and then try to merge the two together so far along the process.

this would explain a few things:

- Why the released footage doesn't match or even show as much progression as the earlier builds.
- Why some of the bugs appear to be from things that should have been fixed long ago
- Why Sataball, Zero G, and the Ender Arena was dropped
- Why the FPS demo included so many SQ42 assets

And most importantly it would explain why the previous SCRUM development has shifted and now all the modules are single builds- it's because all the separate ones are so divergent that they are impossible to merge at this point.

This is some pretty good speculation as to what the hell is going on, thanks. The mind reels at the amount of money sunk into the "core" that they eventually had to drop.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Prop Wash posted:

Oh yeah if this game was out and good I would play it, but right now it seems crazy and bad

Plus if you believe cig we could all just log in and steal a ship that someone paid 900 bucks for. It, along with any other kind of ship destruction, makes no sense with the economy they've set up, but whatever!

Joke's on you, they have LTI. They can just get a new ship and fly around the 'verse. You're going to be punished like Sisyphus, moving abandoned LTI ships off your space lawn for eternity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

ShredsYouSay posted:

From two years ago...

This video isn't very representative of E:D's gameplay or space combat - but often pre-release videos look much better than the game ultimately ends up being because of technical difficulties implementing the intended design.

God knows how far SC is going to slip when its pre-release videos already look like arse.

• Locked thread