Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Rudager posted:

I don't know how anyone see's this and doesn't immediately realise they are running out of money and are desperately trying to keep the money rolling in.

keep in mind this is a refral program for a game that does not exist and they have prize level for poo poo that does not exist and are selling 13k + packages of jpgs. everything smells fucky about CIG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

D_Smart posted:

I think it was spot on. Aside from the fact that some Goon I had given the name of the fighter to, made an error with the SHA-256 and the name was cracked immediately. Thus giving them enough time to change the name to Sabre.

As the guy who originally suggested the cryptographic prediction (partly because I treat you with the same skepticism that I treat anyone).... I can in fact confirm that Goons ruin everything.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Unfunny Poster posted:

Can you support your assertion that the anonymous sources were actually disgruntled with CIG?

Not really, but weren't they let go? As for the claims of game development being toxic.... The amount of vitriol thrown towards developers, those involved in crowdfunded titles in particular is insane so I totally understand that argument.

Without a financial audit, the entire thing is just one side versus the other. It has piqued my curiosity though.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Not really, but weren't they let go? As for the claims of game development being toxic.... The amount of vitriol thrown towards developers, those involved in crowdfunded titles in particular is insane so I totally understand that argument.

Without a financial audit, the entire thing is just one side versus the other. It has piqued my curiosity though.

yeah crobizzle double dipping with his wife working at cig and being hired as part of the cast isn't a huge conflict of interest and indicative of fucky poo poo going on at all nope no siree

Octopedo
Oct 11, 2015

by Cowcaster

Young Freud posted:

This is going to sound like a nitpick, but why is Gary Oldman giving that speech? Someone posted Churchill's speech that's Roberts is cribbing from but he forgot that Churchill is a politician.
The UEE isn't a modern western liberal democracy like the UK, it's the ancient Roman empire in space.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Why do you assume they were "let go"? I don't recall that being mentioned in the article other than "they were former employees".

You seem to be making assumptions.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Wasnt it a mix of ex- and current employees anyways?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I'd love to know how much Sandi got for her acting.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Wasnt it a mix of ex- and current employees anyways?

Yes, but that is ignored entirely because some people are deciding that if an ex-employee is involved they must have a grudge and must have been fired for being incompetent or whatever other assumptions are passed on as fact.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Rudager posted:

I don't know how anyone see's this and doesn't immediately realise they are running out of money and are desperately trying to keep the money rolling in.

To be fair, the whole recruitment thing is something people have been asking for a long time, but I do have to agree, why now? Couldn't have been too difficult to implement a unique code generator and create rewards that don't actually exist yet.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Unfunny Poster posted:

Yes, but that is ignored entirely because some people are deciding that if an ex-employee is involved they must have a grudge and must have been fired for being incompetent or whatever other assumptions are passed on as fact.

oh come on, lets be honest here, they are dismissing everything simply by someone somewhere mentioning d.smart

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Agrajag posted:

oh come on, lets be honest here, they are dismissing everything simply by someone somewhere mentioning d.smart

Also GamerGate. Because SA is known to be super supportive and coordinators of that shitshow.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Eh, I'll withhold judgement until I play 2.0 for myself, but wasn't the whole "out of money" thing unsubstantiated rumors coming from disgruntled employees? The numbers being thrown around just don't make sense, unless the whole mismanagement thing is really true (but I feel we'd be hearing a lot more from insiders if that were true)
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3npo4o/is_star_citizen_running_out_of_money/
Ignoring everything in the Escapist article, the biggest warning sign in that whole saga was the response from CIG (Chris Roberts and his former lawyer co-founder). That wasn't the type of response you expect from a project undergoing smooth sailing.

The fact that everything is focused strongly on selling more pre-order bonuses is another huge red flag. If everything was fine funding-wise then they could simply hunker down and produce results and let them do the talking. But they can't do that if they need to sell more virtual ships to survive.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Unfunny Poster posted:

Why do you assume they were "let go"? I don't recall that being mentioned in the article other than "they were former employees".

You seem to be making assumptions.

You're correct, I haven't read the article since the day it came out, when all these rebuttals and discussions on various forums started happening, and then there was the whole Letter to the Chairman and ties to GamerGate and Derek Smart and all this crazy poo poo was talked about, I'm completely lost.

I liked what I saw at CitizenCon though.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Unfunny Poster posted:

Also GamerGate. Because SA is known to be super supportive and coordinators of that shitshow.

Is it safe to assume the general stance is "Don't touch the poop" and laugh at anyone with poop on their hands?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I liked what I saw at CitizenCon though.

What the gently caress?

How?!

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

death .cab for qt posted:

What the gently caress?

How?!

its his opinion can't really fault someone for liking something

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

death .cab for qt posted:

What the gently caress?

How?!

Coming out of Elite Dangerous and the shitshow that was X Rebirth, it looks better than those.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

PITT posted:

Easy... lets not get carried away with hyperbole here.

It was pointed out to me that if you treat the original X Rebirth release as an early access title and look at the continued development it's had over the last 2 years then it actually starts to look a whole lot better in its current form, it might even bet getting praised instead of being an obvious target for jokes.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

There is no vitriol against developers.

People in charge of companies making stupid decisions, yes. But developers? No.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Fish Tank 2.0

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Coming out of Elite Dangerous and the shitshow that was X Rebirth, it looks better than those.

i dont know what x rebirth is but it definitely does not look better than ED. everything about their demo was buggy and janky and the model animations are on par with arma/day z

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Young Freud posted:

This is going to sound like a nitpick, but why is Gary Oldman giving that speech? Someone posted Churchill's speech that's Roberts is cribbing from but he forgot that Churchill is a politician. Military personnel rarely speak to a legislative body like that unless they're in a military dictatorship. I know here, in the United States, we've had speeches from military leaders in joint sessions of Congress, but, in our 300 years, they were never really during a war (although Eisenhower's speech on June 18th, 1945 might still count, but he was called by Congress to describe how well the Allies kicked the Nazis' asses) and are really only there to announce major organizational changes (such as Eisenhower announcing the creation of NATO and Gen. MacArthur's "old soldiers never die, they fade away" resignation).

The "call to arms" cries are always from politicians, because, you know, civilian control of the military.

Like I said, it's a nitpick, but I guess, since this is Roberts' baby, it gives us some insight in how his mind works.

If you do this, you'll drive yourself insane. Croberts wrote and directed Wing Commander. Which is all that needs to be said.

Those two both exist. Star Citizen will never exist except as a 10 hour movie or a garbage squadron 42.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

30 minutes of nothing happening was better than a game with actual combat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fN9J_ZshHM???

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
This is all being analyzed as if it needs to hold up to the standards of literally the best game ever made. That's CR's smooth talk getting to you.

In reality, something playable needs to be released. I guess I am more optimistic because I think something multiplayer will come out. More importantly, I am given the chance to ruin someone's day.

There's so many people that have spent so much, the tear-bank will be non-stop overflowing.

The boring fps, janky movement, stuttering walls, etc all matter less if there's an opportunity to piss off a whale. They will play the game because they have to, they spent thousands. After some idiot loses his poo poo enough, then we will start to see the RSI forums burn. At some point the whales will be protected, but there's a small window of fun somewhere in this pile of poo poo, and I want it.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
It does look better than X-Rebirth, but saying something looks better than X-Rebirth is like saying someone is more attractive than a gangrene infection.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Gerbil_Pen posted:

This is all being analyzed as if it needs to hold up to the standards of literally the best game ever made. That's CR's smooth talk getting to you.

In reality, something playable needs to be released. I guess I am more optimistic because I think something multiplayer will come out. More importantly, I am given the chance to ruin someone's day.

There's so many people that have spent so much, the tear-bank will be non-stop overflowing.

The boring fps, janky movement, stuttering walls, etc all matter less if there's an opportunity to piss off a whale. They will play the game because they have to, they spent thousands. After some idiot loses his poo poo enough, then we will start to see the RSI forums burn. At some point the whales will be protected, but there's a small window of fun somewhere in this pile of poo poo, and I want it.

Wasn't that the hope of goons? Just load up in hundreds of lovely ships and murder the whales over and over until they go insane?

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Gerbil_Pen posted:

Two years later, you'll be able to have 1v1 matches in 2-3 small, featureless maps and the capital ships still won't be ready, calling it now.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

The fact that Star Citizen has both promised "Functioning Economy! No Pay to Win!" and also selling thousand dollar packages is why, even though I know very little about the game from a gameplay perspective, I know it will suck.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dapper Dan posted:

Wasn't that the hope of goons? Just load up in hundreds of lovely ships and murder the whales over and over until they go insane?
It's pretty much what they did with Goonfleet back in the day.

Which is to say they took advantage of an oversight in the combat system and used it to great advantage while taking out people's space Tesla/Ferrari/Bugatti's

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

FilthyImp posted:

Which is to say they took advantage of an oversight in the combat system

Wasn't the official response from the devs was "working as intended" when the spacerich came crying? Because it was ~fantastic~

Unfortunately RSI would probably PATCH MECHANICS or BAN PEOPLE instead of letting their whales end up as prey.

Buuuut that would require them to have a game first.

OWLS! fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 12, 2015

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
edit: wrong thread

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

OWLS! posted:

Wasn't the official response from the devs was "working as intended" when the spacerich came crying? Because it was ~fantastic~
Yeah, EVE is like Libertarians... IN SPaCE! So they were pretty hands off with it. Not their fault someone figured out something novel with the playset they built. After all, everyone is a rational space actor and they were clearly in PvP space so...

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I guess I'd settle for some good EVE stream sniping vids... someone linked a good one in the last thread.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I just want to point out that if you sort it by just the production cost and don't include marketing, it looks like this.

I also want to point out that SWTOR took 200 million to produce, which is about how much SC would cost with all the features promised if they had someone sane manning the helm. As is, I bet it would be closer to 500 million to do everything they said they would.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
So if someone has LTI what's to stop them from running insurance scams by having a friend "steal" their ship?

Either you can't actually steal ships or the ships themselves are a dime a dozen and the upgrades are what makes a ship valuable. Can a fully decked out chariot of class A beat a swarm of 5 goons in barebones class As?

There seems to be a crazy amount of "game" stuff that hasn't been addressed in the slightest amidst all the oohing and ahhing over the visuals.

(I know, I know...there's no game)

I tried playing EVE with goons for a few weeks. The game itself sucked and was boring but the voicechat stories about all the scamming of pubbies was priceless. I have to think a significant portion of the "dream" factor for Star Citizen has been dudes who wished they didn't have such a lovely time playing EVE. They would pay anything to get in on the ground floor so they can be the ones stomping and pulling the strings in corps instead of getting ganked while ratting or getting scammed by goons.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Amarcarts posted:

So if someone has LTI what's to stop them from running insurance scams by having a friend "steal" their ship?

Either you can't actually steal ships or the ships themselves are a dime a dozen and the upgrades are what makes a ship valuable. Can a fully decked out chariot of class A beat a swarm of 5 goons in barebones class As?

There seems to be a crazy amount of "game" stuff that hasn't been addressed in the slightest amidst all the oohing and ahhing over the visuals.

I tried playing EVE with goons for a few weeks. The game itself sucked and was boring but the voicechat stories about all the scamming of pubbies was priceless. I have to think a significant portion of the "dream" factor for Star Citizen has been dudes who wished they didn't have such a lovely time playing EVE. They would pay anything to get in on the ground floor so they can be the ones stomping and pulling the strings in corps instead of getting ganked while ratting or getting scammed by goons.

They said they would hire people to be full time claims adjusters looking for insurance fraud. I'm not joking.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Amarcarts posted:

Well for starters there's no game

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I'm watching the twitch show..... :stonk: Did Sandi just start crying on the stage while talking about "connections" being made?

Is she really referencing a "shadowy hate campaign against her"?

Not a cult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Amarcarts posted:

Just play X3, with or without mods. That's pretty much everything you could want out of EVE besides chatting with other people.

• Locked thread