Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Otisburg posted:

Found the Red Alert Soviet ending and it actually manages to somehow be waaaay loving goofier than I remembered:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN2zeRbu0x4
What on Earth is going on with Stalin's accent?

I bet these actors had way more fun shooting these than Gary Oldman did giving a lovely Equate-brand "We shall fight on the beaches" type speech into a computer with dots drawn all over his face.

Maybe I should give RA3 a try, at least whichever campaign JK Simmons does the briefings on.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

I always viewed the C&C series a mix between Schlocky Hollywood Movie and solid RTS. The cutscenes were the schlock that was basically there to give the missions meaning, but it was done in such a way that it was so mediocre/goofy that it worked really well at the time.

Skip RA 3. It was complete and utter dog poo poo. Though to be fair, I did sort of buy it not because of being super hyped for a new Red Alert game, but because Randy Couture (UFC fighter) and Gina Carano (MMA fighter) were in it and they were god awful.

Randy Couture - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVZUaTOd4BU

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Oct 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Odd one out. Who can find the one person on the above that stares you down with a look that says "I really love the idea of being a big shoot movie star"

Also, say what you will about noted worst company in the world EA. They did something right when they refused to give CR the Wing Commander license. If they now decided to make a Wing Commander game, hiring all his layoffs (the competent ones) it would be glorious.
Bonus points for releasing before CIG goes bankrupt.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

One is not like the others.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

I look forward to when they will awkwardly edit in the "ethnic" actors in post production

Actually, Sandi is 'ethnic'.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hopper posted:

Odd one out. Who can find the one person on the above that stares you down with a look that says "I really love the idea of being a big shoot movie star"

Also, say what you will about noted worst company in the world EA. They did something right when they refused to give CR the Wing Commander license. If they now decided to make a Wing Commander game, hiring all his layoffs (the competent ones) it would be glorious.
Bonus points for releasing before CIG goes bankrupt.

Extra bonus if they go the FMV route :yayclod:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I believe EA can actually make a more competent Wing Commander game than Croberts. Even if it's going to be a disaster of Assassin's Creed: Unity proportions.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Imagine a Wing Commander IP game that's a C&C RTS using FMV?

:pusheen:

Edit - Also is Tiberium Wars 3 any good?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Unfunny Poster posted:

Imagine a Wing Commander IP game that's a C&C RTS using FMV?
Command & Wing It.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Paladinus posted:

I believe EA can actually make a more competent Wing Commander game than Croberts. Even if it's going to be a disaster of Assassin's Creed: Unity proportions.

Whatever else I think about them, I am confident in EA's ability to produce and release extant games that exist in the world, so yes.

I'm sincerely curious what the difference in cost is to take your big name actor and recreate his performance digitally, versus just putting a costume on him and putting him in front of a camera with a green screen behind him. I have to imagine the numbers involved would be funny and make me laugh.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Unfunny Poster posted:

Extra bonus if they go the FMV route :yayclod:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIRPcICB-iY

Actually when you concider something like Battlestar Blood and Chrome has 90% greescreen sets then I'm surprised they didn't go down the FMV path. But I'm guessing in this case mocap + animation meant he felt he had all the freedom to fix things easily.

Oh and I stumbled across this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3tub4nWayE

Who's missing?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Apocadall posted:

I'm not convinced the crazies singing the praises aren't just plants by CIG to make it appear like more people are devoted to the game.

Improbable, CIG has already proven they can't deliver on the plant department.

ether
May 20, 2001

MeLKoR posted:

Improbable, CIG has already proven they can't deliver on the plant department.

Not true, they delivered a bunch of flowers live on stream. Shoddily, but still.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The tulip prices can only go up, obviously.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Apocadall posted:

I'm not convinced the crazies singing the praises aren't just plants by CIG to make it appear like more people are devoted to the game.

Wanna see my games shelf of shame ? With such classics as an Age of Conan CE, a Warhammer Online CE, Hellgate London and various other poo poo games. Learning fiscal responsibility when it comes to gaming is a long and painful process.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Oct 12, 2015

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

SelenicMartian posted:

Screw gOg, DotEmu has you covered.
http://www.dotemu.com/en/download-game/1498/hardwar

"a lawless and bloodthirsty pirate, ready for anything to rob sheds"

Despite the description it actually works.

I just want GTA Titan, fly in a ship, fight punks, gank traders and make space moonshine.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Unfunny Poster posted:

I always viewed the C&C series a mix between Schlocky Hollywood Movie and solid RTS. The cutscenes were the schlock that was basically there to give the missions meaning, but it was done in such a way that it was so mediocre/goofy that it worked really well at the time.

Skip RA 3. It was complete and utter dog poo poo. Though to be fair, I did sort of buy it not because of being super hyped for a new Red Alert game, but because Randy Couture (UFC fighter) and Gina Carano (MMA fighter) were in it and they were god awful.

Randy Couture - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVZUaTOd4BU

Yeah, but it had Tim Curry, who was great.

RescueFreak
Sep 8, 2013

Hammerstein posted:

Wanna see my games shelf of shame ? With such classics as an Age of Conan CE, a Warhammer Online CE, Hellgate London and various other poo poo games. Learning fiscal responsibility when it comes to gaming is a long and painful process.

I donated my Hellgate London CE to a church garage sale. Wish I could have dumped my SimCity preorder in a dump in Arizona.

Not buying anymore CEs, preorders or crowd funding.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Hammerstein posted:

You should start a museum.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Assassins Creed 3 pre-order :cripes:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Y'all got Trespasser? :v:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

What's this from?

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Hammerstein posted:

MMOs are one of the most insanely difficult things to make. To design a full AAA Single Player game combined with a fully AAA Multiplayer game is insanity. And not only that, but to keep expanding and expanding and not sacrifice features of one or the other. Looking back over the stretch goals and funding history, its not feature creep, but feature cancer.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Chalks posted:

What's this from?

The ship was making a retirement speech but suddenly stopped short, halted by the sudden appearance of a bouquet of habitat rings.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

That's very bad, but yet somehow less sad than Oscar-nominated actor Gary Oldman with all that poo poo on his head, struggling to deliver his character's name.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

shadow puppet of a posted:

The ship was making a retirement speech but suddenly stopped short, halted by the sudden appearance of a bouquet of habitat rings.

There sure are a lot of really tiny stars between that ship and the gas giant it's approaching.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Otisburg posted:

That's very bad, but yet somehow less sad than Oscar-nominated actor Gary Oldman with all that poo poo on his head, struggling to deliver his character's name.

Compare that to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VFD_oxpVPk

No stupid poo poo on his face, knows what he is doing, knows his character and genuinely seems to be enjoying his work.

EDIT:
Also looks really comfy to work in and probably didn't take him more than a couple of days (if that). Compared that to Gary Oldman who looks like he just wants to kill himself with that dental apparatus and a 60+ day shoot.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Oct 12, 2015

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Chalks posted:

There sure are a lot of really tiny stars between that ship and the gas giant it's approaching.

ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS—IN TWO WEEKS

Dapper Dan posted:

Compare that to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VFD_oxpVPk

No stupid poo poo on his face, knows what he is doing, knows his character and genuinely seems to be enjoying his work.

Dance seems a lot more enthusiastic and animated. Part of it is probably that they bothered to edit it, but he doesn't seem as struggling to say something nice for his employer's promo video. Probably also being interviewed in a less hamfisted/cultish way, too.

Also they didn't make him wear a bunch of poo poo all over his face so they could turn his likeness into a soulless polygonal marionette.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Oct 12, 2015

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Holy poo poo 4,000 new posts what the he...nah I'm kidding I actually sat down and read every single one because this is loving gold. They've not just turned it up to 11, Chris has added a stretch goal for a 12 on the craziness volume and they've gone loving NUTS. That Gary Oldman exploded face thing had me in tears.

Litany Unheard posted:

If you ever find yourself doubting that gamers are complete loving idiots that will throw millions at anything that sounds remotely promising, just click on this link https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console/description

You don't have to have anything to back up what you're selling. A slick presentation and one or two big name-drops and the fools and their money are parted.

Ouya was a pretty amazing fuckup and the threads here were fun but Star Citizen has outmatched it with its surreal and nearly unbelievable insanity. Nerds have given a giant baby with a terrible track record 90m+ to make a game and he's gone and made a sci-fi movie and cast his wife as one of the leads and she's listed there alongside actual famous people like she's of any importance. It's ludicrous. And that speech...what. WHAT. I've never seen such a public demonstration of a raging, out of control ego. It's pretty special. If someone isn't writing a book or doc about this, they need to.

All Ouya had was useless ineffectual Julie UHHRRMAN and her amazing MS Paint charts. Oh, and REDTUBE. But then Star Citizen has POTATO.

Parafin posted:

For the UK office, I cut the sqft price by half but increased the staff to around 125, including 10 executives. Slashed salaries by $5k/m but kept executive pay roughly equal.

$20k is about £13k in Real Money. You could earn that working in a McDonalds. I'm pretty sure game devs in the UK get a little more than that, even in Manchester.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Otisburg posted:

Given that the dude is an athletic stud, I can forgive the bad acting.

He's qualified for the US Olympic Wrestling team for 3 different summer games (1988, 1992, 1996) which is pretty insane considering he was also a Sgt. in the US Army before that. That's also ignoring his MMA career that lasted for 10+ years.

Oldman has been an active actor for longer than I've been alive and that performance for a 90 million dollar video game was super poo poo for such a well known top quality actor.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

alphabettitouretti posted:

$20k is about £13k in Real Money. You could earn that working in a McDonalds. I'm pretty sure game devs in the UK get a little more than that, even in Manchester.

Yeah, google tells me that the average UK game dev salary is £32k so that's $50k in American monies.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This image + this clip from Rick & Morty https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E6d5j3qrss is amazing.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

I'm the tubby Mancunian middle manager contemplating suicide in the Star Citizen poster.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Holy poo poo 4,000 new posts what the he...nah I'm kidding I actually sat down and read every single one because this is loving gold. They've not just turned it up to 11, Chris has added a stretch goal for a 12 on the craziness volume and they've gone loving NUTS. That Gary Oldman exploded face thing had me in tears.

Ouya was a pretty amazing fuckup and the threads here were fun but Star Citizen has outmatched it with its surreal and nearly unbelievable insanity. Nerds have given a giant baby with a terrible track record 90m+ to make a game and he's gone and made a sci-fi movie and cast his wife as one of the leads and she's listed there alongside actual famous people like she's of any importance. It's ludicrous. And that speech...what. WHAT. I've never seen such a public demonstration of a raging, out of control ego. It's pretty special. If someone isn't writing a book or doc about this, they need to.

All Ouya had was useless ineffectual Julie UHHRRMAN and her amazing MS Paint charts. Oh, and REDTUBE. But then Star Citizen has POTATO.

The Ouya was retarded and anyone could tell it was going to fail (there were better emulation boxes, which is the only reason people wanted those things) but at least it (somehow) came out. There were actual doubts it would never see the light of day, but they came out with a functioning product.

Before I thought Star Citizen wouldn't get released, but now I think Squadron 42 is going to get released in some form. That's what he (and Sandy, especially her) give a poo poo about. But then again, I don't have any idea how close it even is. The only gameplay of it they showed was of a pre-tutorial, which was walking and talking. So who the gently caress even knows.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Unfunny Poster posted:

Given that the dude is an athletic stud, I can forgive the bad acting.

He's qualified for the US Olympic Wrestling team for 3 different summer games (1988, 1992, 1996) which is pretty insane considering he was also a Sgt. in the US Army before that. That's also ignoring his MMA career that lasted for 10+ years.

Oldman has been an active actor for longer than I've been alive and that performance for a 90 million dollar video game was super poo poo for such a well known top quality actor.

Oh, I don't fault Oldman at all. He's awesome in everything else. I think it's a combination of bad direction from a mushmouthed wannabe auteur, having to act with nothing to emote against/react to and a bunch of poo poo drawn on his face and a SAW contraption on his head, a script that was cliched in its first iteration 20 years ago with VGA space lions, and realizing he's punching the clock to make a videogame about space invaders.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Otisburg posted:

Oh, I don't fault Oldman at all. He's awesome in everything else. I think it's a combination of bad direction from a mushmouthed wannabe auteur, having to act with nothing to emote against/react to and a bunch of poo poo drawn on his face and a SAW contraption on his head, a script that was cliched in its first iteration 20 years ago with VGA space lions, and realizing he's punching the clock to make a videogame about space invaders.

It's almost as if you need a cohesive vision and plan for these sort of things.

Something Roberts has shown numerous times to be utterly poo poo at.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

made a sci-fi movie and cast his wife as one of the leads and she's listed there alongside actual famous people like she's of any importance. It's ludicrous.

But don't you see, they're saving money! And I'm sure her performance is going to be on par with everyone else, since they're all going to be poo poo with Sandi/Chris or whoever directing them, e: and the source material being what it is of course.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Dapper Dan posted:

The Ouya was retarded and anyone could tell it was going to fail (there were better emulation boxes, which is the only reason people wanted those things) but at least it (somehow) came out. There were actual doubts it would never see the light of day, but they came out with a functioning product.

Before I thought Star Citizen wouldn't get released, but now I think Squadron 42 is going to get released in some form. That's what he (and Sandy, especially her) give a poo poo about. But then again, I don't have any idea how close it even is. The only gameplay of it they showed was of a pre-tutorial, which was walking and talking. So who the gently caress even knows.

did the original backers ever actually get their ouyas? i remember their production line was so hosed they were selling out of newer ones to new customers before the original buyers ever got theirs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Has she actually acted in a role you could recognize her before?

• Locked thread