Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Shine posted:

Xihe is the nearby go-to system for outfitting. There's a high tech station there. This is my build.

At its most basic, slap on a pair of C3 guns (I like gimbal pulse; some people will do a laser and a canon, do whatever), a large FSD (its range is pretty bad), and chaff. You'll need a bigger power plant and/or module management if you're using high-level shield boosters and cells. That'll be enough for you to go stomp an RES. Beyond that, it's just beefing up the things that usually make sense to beef up (power distributor, thrusters, etc.). My build probably isn't min-maxed for shield capacity and such, but the Vulture doesn't need much help to dominate NPCs, and against players it'll be more a matter of pilot skill than gearing.

You run dual pulse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

3 posted:

Turrets will automatically fire as soon as you press the fire key, that's working as intended. If you want to toggle them on and off at will, set up multiple firing groups and switch between them; the turrets will only fire if they're part of the currently selected firing group.

EDIT: You really want to use turrets only for massive boats that take an eternity to turn, like an Anaconda or a Type-9. Otherwise, the drop in firepower is way too much of a tradeoff for improved fire radius. A Vulture, for example, has no need for turreted weapons whatsoever.

Really? They are supposed to continually fire even after you take go off the trigger? Well, that makes sense as to why it does it but it seems sort of bizarre.

And regards to the Vulture, yeah, I didn't use them for any real period it was more of a trying them out. They are sort of handy in the python though as smaller fighters seem to be on my 12 or 6 pretty easily and it's handy to keep hammering on them.

I :love: multicannons

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
They need to add C3 and C4 multicannons imho

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Weren't C4 beams leaked/teased?

With the Fed Corvette having two C4 hardpoints, I certainly hope they expand the offerings for the huge slot.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Insert name here posted:

They need to add C3 and C4 multicannons imho

They should have a C3 autocannon or something. Maybe with firepower a bit below a medium cannon, but a better rate of fire and a lot of ammo. Or maybe they should make it possible to stack two medium weapons in a large hardpoint, so you could put two C2 multicannons in one.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
C4 autocannon would be really easy: stations and cap ships already have these big rear end double-barrel autocannons so a C4 AC could just be that but a single barrel.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Weren't C4 beams leaked/teased?

With the Fed Corvette having two C4 hardpoints, I certainly hope they expand the offerings for the huge slot.
If they don't I'm gonna be all :mad: because having only cannon and PA to choose from sucks.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Adult Sword Owner posted:

You run dual pulse?

Yup. It's not the most visually exciting build, but dual C3 pulses will shred small ships in seconds and are serviceable against larger ones.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Also the Vulture is so power tight that running any laser other than pulses usually requires you to downgrade something from what I remember trying to fit it.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
A Vulture with a C3 Beam and C3 Cannon (both gimballed) is pretty baus sauce for res farming, especially if you get good spawns of Anacondas and other bigger ships that are easy to hit with the Cannon. Even smaller ships go down pretty easily if you barrel into really close range and get one or two solid cannon rounds into their hull.

This is the Vulture I have been using. The priority settings for the power to modules are really important for this fit to work. Offensive hardpoints lose power when you power up the shield cell banks which have to be micro-managed as a result (right menu > power them on when you need them > power off after the noise plays and the shields start to gain hitpoints). The Fuel Scoop is because I get bored and roam around a lot and isn't necessary if you find a good farming system and base out of there.

Overall it is my favorite Vulture fit for Res farming, a thing I have admittedly done very little of.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

amazeballs posted:

A Vulture with a C3 Beam and C3 Cannon (both gimballed) is pretty baus sauce for res farming, especially if you get good spawns of Anacondas and other bigger ships that are easy to hit with the Cannon. Even smaller ships go down pretty easily if you barrel into really close range them

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Insert name here posted:

Also the Vulture is so power tight that running any laser other than pulses usually requires you to downgrade something from what I remember trying to fit it.

I ran a full beam Vulture and yeah I had to seriously power manage and deal with them continually overheating in a fight.

when I first got into the Python I went full beam too (really 5x turreted beams is boss), but that was more of a pain in the rear end then it was worth so I am now 4x turreted Multi-cannons and a big gimbled beam on the underside.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

This must be some really loving good weed

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

slidebite posted:

I ran a full beam Vulture and yeah I had to seriously power manage and deal with them continually overheating in a fight.

when I first got into the Python I went full beam too (really 5x turreted beams is boss), but that was more of a pain in the rear end then it was worth so I am now 4x turreted Multi-cannons and a big gimbled beam on the underside.

Turrets are pretty cool. I currently have my anaconda almost entirely loaded with turrets: Three C3 pulses, one C3 beam, two C2 multicannons. Plus a couple C1 heat seeker launchers, because I never use missiles and wanted to try them out (they're fun, but i might replace them with more beam turrets). Power management is no problem, i can hit enemies all around me at all times, and it melts things fast. I went crazy with the point defence turrets too (got 4 of them) because the green laser/bullet things look cool. It also seems like they may be more useful now, as it sounds like people get their shields taken out a lot more frequently, so missiles and torpedos should be more of a threat.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 14, 2015

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

He's not kidding. I regularly make use of my Vultures op shields and boost into other ships to finish them off. Try it, master it, you will feel like a kung fu master

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Just got home from my trip to the core with a detour through long stretches of undiscovered neutron stars on the way home.

40 mil payout. :toot:

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I was doing a combat site with a vulture that has a rebuy of about half my cash in hand (I had plenty of assets I could have sold to keep flying but I'm not rolling in it) and a 1.7 million dollar combat bond total when four ships, including an Anaconda, decided to gangbang me. I started flying away but didn't realize how much poo poo I was in until my shields went down. I stored my weapons and started jetting away, but the ships pursued and my hull started melting. When I was at about 15% hull my thrusters malfunctioned. I was positive I was dead.

Then, with 2% hull integrity, the little FSD that could got its rear end in gear and boosted me away. I've never been so stressed in this game.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I've gotten screwed because the FSD charged up and suddenly it wants me pointing in a specific direction. Is there a quick way to set it to just jump the gently caress out?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've gotten screwed because the FSD charged up and suddenly it wants me pointing in a specific direction. Is there a quick way to set it to just jump the gently caress out?

Press "S."

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

It should only want a certain direction if A) You're targeting to make a jump to another system rather than just supercruise or B) you're too close to a major gravity source (aka a planet or star) and you need to enter super cruise facing away from the object (shows an "Escape vector" target/waypoint).

Otherwise, the only other problem I can think of is that it wants you to enter supercruise facing the direction of your momentum vector, so if you fly with assist off, that might cause trouble.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Otherwise, the only other problem I can think of is that it wants you to enter supercruise facing the direction of your momentum vector, so if you fly with assist off, that might cause trouble.

Ditto if you're using your auxiliary thrusters.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

amazeballs posted:

A Vulture with a C3 Beam and C3 Cannon (both gimballed) is pretty baus sauce for res farming, especially if you get good spawns of Anacondas and other bigger ships that are easy to hit with the Cannon. Even smaller ships go down pretty easily if you barrel into really close range and get one or two solid cannon rounds into their hull.

This is the Vulture I have been using. The priority settings for the power to modules are really important for this fit to work. Offensive hardpoints lose power when you power up the shield cell banks which have to be micro-managed as a result (right menu > power them on when you need them > power off after the noise plays and the shields start to gain hitpoints). The Fuel Scoop is because I get bored and roam around a lot and isn't necessary if you find a good farming system and base out of there.

Overall it is my favorite Vulture fit for Res farming, a thing I have admittedly done very little of.

I like running this build. It sacrifices some shields for maneuverability and plasma accelerators are a lot of fun. I still wish I could get a beam on there.

:getin: (and then get out when the shields go down)

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Rectus posted:

I still wish I could get a beam on there.

Here you go.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I just shared a few screenshots featuring a sunrise over the planet the Diamond Frogs stations orbits.

Apparently they "are art." Thanks, Urthor. :shobon:

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Oct 14, 2015

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Ooh nice, gonna have to try that out. Thanks.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

So I was dossing about bounty hunting last night in my Sidewinder and got some nice kills but ended up on 5% hull in a station without a repair facility, sad times. So I set off to find a repair station, avoided one Interdiction, FSD'd too close to the sun which made my cockpit start to crack after a little bit of a panic and another jump I found a station that could repair my broken ship. So I had a look see at what I could do in the station and what luck a mission to smuggle some Narcotics from Xingait to somewhere only 6 jumps away, I'd need to refuel but it paid 140K spacebucks which seemed a good return for a penniless hobo in a Sidewinder. So I loaded up and set off across the void through some empty systems and this time my calculations were correct and I used the last of my fuel to jump into the only populated system en-route. The Space-police objected to me hauling Narcotics though and fined me after interdicting my ship on the way to refuel, my sovereign citizen protest got me no where. Narcotics weren't even illegal where I was going to refuel! One refuelling stop later and I was back on my way to my destination. I managed to judge my run into the station fairly well coming out of FSD right in front of the door so I diverted all power to my engines and punched the booster determined not to pay out any more in fines. I sailed through the letterbox avoiding the scans but clipped the entrance and sent myself off pin balling around inside the station, not my smoothest entry to a station but also not my worst strangely. I shift my Narcotics and get my pay off, most of the way to the Cobra now which is good.

I'm finding Elite Dangerous really fun just now, there's a genuine sense of danger and risk associated with doing things. My only sadness is that the outside camera doesn't seem to work very well on the xbox just now.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

slidebite posted:

Running an anaconda with 8 turreted beams, firing at will in a war zone is still the highlight of this game for me. It was like I was my own capitol ship.

... even if it did agro everything under the sun.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Literally Kermit posted:

He's not kidding. I regularly make use of my Vultures op shields and boost into other ships to finish them off. Try it, master it, you will feel like a kung fu master

This...I want a Vulture now.

Is the Vulture the next step up for a combat-focused ship for a guy in a Cobra, or is there anything in-between?

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Aramoro posted:

So I was dossing about bounty hunting last night in my Sidewinder and got some nice kills but ended up on 5% hull in a station without a repair facility, sad times. So I set off to find a repair station, avoided one Interdiction, FSD'd too close to the sun which made my cockpit start to crack after a little bit of a panic and another jump I found a station that could repair my broken ship. So I had a look see at what I could do in the station and what luck a mission to smuggle some Narcotics from Xingait to somewhere only 6 jumps away, I'd need to refuel but it paid 140K spacebucks which seemed a good return for a penniless hobo in a Sidewinder. So I loaded up and set off across the void through some empty systems and this time my calculations were correct and I used the last of my fuel to jump into the only populated system en-route. The Space-police objected to me hauling Narcotics though and fined me after interdicting my ship on the way to refuel, my sovereign citizen protest got me no where. Narcotics weren't even illegal where I was going to refuel! One refuelling stop later and I was back on my way to my destination. I managed to judge my run into the station fairly well coming out of FSD right in front of the door so I diverted all power to my engines and punched the booster determined not to pay out any more in fines. I sailed through the letterbox avoiding the scans but clipped the entrance and sent myself off pin balling around inside the station, not my smoothest entry to a station but also not my worst strangely. I shift my Narcotics and get my pay off, most of the way to the Cobra now which is good.

I'm finding Elite Dangerous really fun just now, there's a genuine sense of danger and risk associated with doing things. My only sadness is that the outside camera doesn't seem to work very well on the xbox just now.

Before the implementation of high signal strength and low sites and the like, I stumbled across a USS in system and dumped into it for shits and giggles. I was in a Cobra and there were 12 containers of gold in the instance, so I started scooping them up. The pirate ambush consisted of two eagles and a sidey so, after melting them, I finished scooping and made my way towards the nearest station with a black market.

Upon arriving at said station, I stayed about 5km out and circled around until I could see the slot. I lined up, boosted, turned everything off (thrusters etc) and coasted with FA off up to the mail slot. I'd done this over a dozen times but this time was different. As I was about 800 meters out from the slot a Type 9 jumped up into my path. I immediately switched my thrusters back on and tried to roll the wing of the Cobra up over his hull but still clipped him. The hit sent me spinning into the slot at mach jesus, where I bounced off of the wall and then into another cobra before entering the station.

I'd made it in though! I started checking stats as I got the spin under control and noticed that I was at 1% hull, at that exact same moment I realized FA was still off and that I was still drifting at a slow but decent speed. Right as I reached up to hit the FA hot key I saw the edge of the docking pad control tower come into view. I fired lateral thrusters (I was drifting to the right, not forward) and tried to correct but as my ship faintly booped the side of the tower, it decided it had had enough and exploded.

I haven't smuggled anything in since then.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

imperialparadox posted:

Is the Vulture the next step up for a combat-focused ship for a guy in a Cobra, or is there anything in-between?

Viper?

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Smuggling can get a bit easier once you realize that any scanning that gets started cuts off once you're inside the docking bay. So even in something like a type-6 you can basically line up and push all power to engines then land.

The same goes for leaving, get the legs up then blast out of range as fast as your turbo can carry you.

I'm now in an Asp... because I'm an idiot who hates money :/

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Shapes and colours the likes of which I've never seen!

Literally Kermit posted:

Yeah, that's basically the reason why Vulture is totally fine with just lasers. You can always ram the Federal Drop Ship or whatever you're fighting to finish it off. The damage is surprisingly high and your shields can take the hit easily.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I literally just bought my Vulture about half an hour ago.

Against most targets, Large Pulse Lasers are pretty drat respectable. Still hurts the power consumption a little bit :\

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Kryopsis posted:

Yeah, that's basically the reason why Vulture is totally fine with just lasers. You can always ram the Federal Drop Ship or whatever you're fighting to finish it off. The damage is surprisingly high and your shields can take the hit easily.
I tried that trick with a clipper once and just ended up smeared across his windscreen.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I was doing a combat site with a vulture that has a rebuy of about half my cash in hand (I had plenty of assets I could have sold to keep flying but I'm not rolling in it) and a 1.7 million dollar combat bond total when four ships, including an Anaconda, decided to gangbang me. I started flying away but didn't realize how much poo poo I was in until my shields went down. I stored my weapons and started jetting away, but the ships pursued and my hull started melting. When I was at about 15% hull my thrusters malfunctioned. I was positive I was dead.

Then, with 2% hull integrity, the little FSD that could got its rear end in gear and boosted me away. I've never been so stressed in this game.

That and making it into a station with your canopy blown out and less than 10 seconds on the life support clock is a right of passage. :cool:

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
i have mastered docking.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

imperialparadox posted:

If you don't want to side-step into a Viper, take an Imperial Courier. Sweet ship and easily affordable.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
When ramming, you need to switch your SYS pips to max right before impact.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Diamondback Scouts are pretty zippy, have the same loadout as a Cobra or Viper (but excellent hardpoint placement), and even loaded down have extremely good jump ranges, making it ideal long distance events.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Shine posted:

Yup. It's not the most visually exciting build, but dual C3 pulses will shred small ships in seconds and are serviceable against larger ones.

I'm just surprised that dual energy weapons is usable against the bigger guys.

My last smuggling mission was "200k for a single jump? Hell yeh!" and then I find out the place is 300k LS away. Fell asleep in supercruise, woke up a few hours later going over 2000c and I think half a lightyear past my target. I don't remember how far because it was 4AM and I just ALT-F4'd out. Is my ship going to be lost to the void?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I'm just surprised that dual energy weapons is usable against the bigger guys.

My last smuggling mission was "200k for a single jump? Hell yeh!" and then I find out the place is 300k LS away. Fell asleep in supercruise, woke up a few hours later going over 2000c and I think half a lightyear past my target. I don't remember how far because it was 4AM and I just ALT-F4'd out. Is my ship going to be lost to the void?

You'll end up sitting in space wherever you signed out of. You can probably just jump back into the system from another system since you've blown way past where that trip back would be shorter. This sentence makes sense in my head.

• Locked thread