Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
My go-to response to people badgering us about kids is "we like having money and free time".

I don't know what it is but that gets them to shut up faster than any personal reasons why we don't have/don't want kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Ozz81 posted:

Tying with this - places that have inadequate (or no) handicapped accessibility. I live in an older apartment complex, which has handicapped spots in all the lots. In the buildings? No easy handicap accessible ramps, no elevators, nothing to make it easier for them to get in/out. I feel really bad and often end up helping a couple neighbors, both have serious disabilities that make it hard to walk and seeing them try to go up steps scares the hell out of me sometimes :(
Oh for fucks sake, yes. Or the ones you can tell did a bare minimum, like "meh I have a ramp, what do you want" only the ramp is half the building away from available parking and well. This may go beyond pet peeve and into frothing irritation for me so I'm going to shut up about it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Tendai posted:

Oh for fucks sake, yes. Or the ones you can tell did a bare minimum, like "meh I have a ramp, what do you want" only the ramp is half the building away from available parking and well. This may go beyond pet peeve and into frothing irritation for me so I'm going to shut up about it.

There's one stripmall and movie theater here that only has like, four or five ramps for the whole area and all of them are directly behind parking stalls. So of course people will inevitably park right on top of them making it really difficult to actually use the ramps. Even worse is that there is very little handicap parking, instead the bulk of the priority parking is taken up by "15 minute or less" and "reserved for X customers" parking. So when I go there with someone I know who's missing a leg and hasn't gotten a prosthetic yet it's fun to try and get their wheelchair up and down the concrete steps.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010
I've started job hunting again for the first time in a long time and I've forgotten how annoying it is. First off, you get extremely vague classifieds and don't really know what the position or pay is until you come in. Then , most of them have unrealistic expectations. I saw an ad for medical billing in September which required experience in coding for a system that didn't even start until October. How can you have experience in something that doesn't exist yet? Then, the rest of the jobs need a specialty degree, have ten years experience, and expect you to cure cancer but you only get minimum wage, no benefits.

Employers : be up front, clear, and realistic and you won't waste both of our time.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

NarwhalParty posted:

Then, the rest of the jobs need a specialty degree, have ten years experience, and expect you to cure cancer but you only get minimum wage, no benefits.

Employers : be up front, clear, and realistic and you won't waste both of our time.

I see a lot of this in the art field for some reason. People seriously seem to think you need like ten plus years of experience to know how to use photoshop in very basic ways. I saw one last week demanding four years professional experience and a masters degree to make flash banners. Flash banners! Half the time they explicitly demand professional experience, in my experience at least, they usually mean a recognizable company too so being employed by some random assholes to do the logo for their websites won't count no matter what kind of work you actually do.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Henchman of Santa posted:

People using Buzzfeed-speak in their actual conversations or even social media. I can't help but cringe when someone says "yaaaaas" or "ALL of the (blank)" in real life. My coworker's reaction to the Virginia newscaster shooting was actually "I can't even." This from someone with a career in journalism.
"I can't even" is a great phrase.

Nuebot posted:

All the menus are gone because menus were too hard for people
I really hate the trend of not having menus and how whenever you install a web browser you have to hunt through the options to find out how to get them back. And it's not about saving space, because they'll have a bookmarks toolbar and an entirely redundant search bar and a tab bar that's always there even if you've only got one tab open, etc.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

My go-to response to people badgering us about kids is "we like having money and free time".
That's so selfish. Don't you know that you should be spending your time and money on the children you don't even want, because hypothetical future people are far more important than people who already exist.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

People using Buzzfeed-speak in their actual conversations or even social media. I can't help but cringe when someone says "yaaaaas" or "ALL of the (blank)" in real life. My coworker's reaction to the Virginia newscaster shooting was actually "I can't even." This from someone with a career in journalism.

Oh man. That new loving McDonald's all day breakfast commercial. I want to stab the people that decided that commercial was a good idea, along with the annoying assholes in the commercial itself. Nobody talks like that and lovely emphasis on terrible, made up words just grates on me.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

People who don't call ahead and just turn up at your house any old time. My Nanny just arrived to leave something off for my mum for her birthday while I was cleaning and I was sweaty and wearing a ratty old tank top with holes in and my tits right out and I hadn't showered yet and honestly the house was still a mess. She didn't stay long.

She actually even brought up my birthday when my aunt and uncle and three kids and dog all came to the house to see me but nobody was home because we had gone out to dinner, like oh what a shame that completely unforeseeable thing happened. There is a connection to be made in your brain here!!!

God Over Djinn
Jan 17, 2005

onwards and upwards
Joining the wheelchair peeve chat:

- people who use the only handicapped stall in the bathroom/the only accessible bathroom when every other drat one is open. I also get irrationally mad when it's somebody who uses the only accessible toilet just because they have their kid with them. I have to pee really really bad and the chair won't fit into any other stall okay :(

- people who help so aggressively that they get in the way. Sure, ask if I'd like help, although it's about 50/50 whether I'll say yes, depending on how tired I am. But if I'm trying to get the chair past am obstacle and you start 'helpfully' imposing your body between me and where I want to go, or moving things into my way because you're an imbecile with no spatial awareness, you are not helping. Special mention to people who refuse to get off the elevator at their floor until I've gotten on, which is truly bizarre and a waste of all of our time.

- parents who get mad at their kids for asking about my scars or the chair. If I didn't want to talk about it, I'd make something up. I think I'm at least socially aware enough to handle that!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

God Over Djinn posted:

Joining the wheelchair peeve chat:

- people who use the only handicapped stall in the bathroom/the only accessible bathroom when every other drat one is open. I also get irrationally mad when it's somebody who uses the only accessible toilet just because they have their kid with them. I have to pee really really bad and the chair won't fit into any other stall okay :(

- people who help so aggressively that they get in the way. Sure, ask if I'd like help, although it's about 50/50 whether I'll say yes, depending on how tired I am. But if I'm trying to get the chair past am obstacle and you start 'helpfully' imposing your body between me and where I want to go, or moving things into my way because you're an imbecile with no spatial awareness, you are not helping. Special mention to people who refuse to get off the elevator at their floor until I've gotten on, which is truly bizarre and a waste of all of our time.

- parents who get mad at their kids for asking about my scars or the chair. If I didn't want to talk about it, I'd make something up. I think I'm at least socially aware enough to handle that!
Oh jesus all of this. ALL OF IT. And as an addition to that first one, the fact that "handicapped stall" automatically means tall-rear end toilet. This may be legally regulated? I think it's due to how you have to get in and out of a wheelchair? But as someone with a shortness disability it's annoying, even if I realize they can't make a toilet for every possible permutation of the concept of disability.

The second one is just... creepy at times. Like I've had a few times where men have essentially shadowed me around grocery stores rushing to pick things up off shelves if I look at them and then they get really offended when I ask them (politely, the first time) to back off and leave me alone.

The third is just dumb and I see it too :sigh: I always like when parents are cool enough to say "Well, why don't you ask her why she looks different?" and it makes me think they're raising kids who are going to be decent human beings.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

teenytinymouse posted:

People who don't call ahead and just turn up at your house any old time. My Nanny just arrived to leave something off for my mum for her birthday while I was cleaning and I was sweaty and wearing a ratty old tank top with holes in and my tits right out and I hadn't showered yet and honestly the house was still a mess. She didn't stay long.

She actually even brought up my birthday when my aunt and uncle and three kids and dog all came to the house to see me but nobody was home because we had gone out to dinner, like oh what a shame that completely unforeseeable thing happened. There is a connection to be made in your brain here!!!

About a month ago, I ran into a friend of mine on my way home from work, and not only did she invite herself up to my apartment, she also stayed for hours (I have a 1 1/2-hour commute, and it was a weekday), picked up my cat who had never met her before so he was skittish because she was unfamiliar, & drank my cider. I just wanted to come home, watch some baseball, and go to sleep :(

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

YeahTubaMike posted:

About a month ago, I ran into a friend of mine on my way home from work, and not only did she invite herself up to my apartment, she also stayed for hours (I have a 1 1/2-hour commute, and it was a weekday), picked up my cat who had never met her before so he was skittish because she was unfamiliar, & drank my cider. I just wanted to come home, watch some baseball, and go to sleep :(

I'm honestly outraged on behalf of your past self. Was she raised in the woods by animals?!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

teenytinymouse posted:

I'm honestly outraged on behalf of your past self. Was she raised in the woods by animals?!
Sounds more like the sort of person who has no idea how to pick up on social cues like "Hey my body language and tone are saying YOU NEED TO gently caress OFF"

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Even worse are the people who pop by right before you're about to go to work/shopping/anything that takes more than an hour and they say "oh ok, i'll just let myself out" and hang out at your place alone.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

teenytinymouse posted:

Tendai posted:

Sounds more like the sort of person who has no idea how to pick up on social cues like "Hey my body language and tone are saying YOU NEED TO gently caress OFF"

Bingo. We walked to my apartment building together, and I stopped in front of the steps so we could finish our conversation outside, but then some guy came & opened the door, and she followed him inside. :ughh:

Murphy Brownback posted:

Even worse are the people who pop by right before you're about to go to work/shopping/anything that takes more than an hour and they say "oh ok, i'll just let myself out" and hang out at your place alone.

What kind of heathen does this?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

YeahTubaMike posted:

What kind of heathen does this?

I don't know where they learn it, but apparently it happens often enough for a Seinfeld episode to be based on the occurrence. I had a couple friends in college who did that - I was about to go to class for the day and they wanted to just hang out and play my xbox/whatever.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Murphy Brownback posted:

Nooooooooo

What if they looked through your stuff? Why would they want to stay unless it was to look through your stuff? :tinfoil:

Edit: oh Xbox. Buy your own drat xbox.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Murphy Brownback posted:

I don't know where they learn it, but apparently it happens often enough for a Seinfeld episode to be based on the occurrence. I had a couple friends in college who did that - I was about to go to class for the day and they wanted to just hang out and play my xbox/whatever.

Moral of the story: don't have nice things. :haw:

Seriously though, this has never happened to me, probably because I don't have nice things.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Nuebot posted:

I'll be honest, and somewhat crazy, I'm starting to really not like pregnant women. Oh boy, you're pregnant! Congratulations on(most likely) willingly engaging in something that nearly half the population can do! Please stop yelling and screaming at old people who can barely stand up because you have to stand on the bus for five minutes until the next stop to get off. When I broke my foot a woman tried to shove me off of one of those handicap seats so she could take it. There was nothing wrong with her other than being in the middle of her pregnancy! If she'd walked a few feet back someone would probably have offered it to her.

I dunno, maybe I just run into a lot of assholes who think being pregnant makes them the most important person in the world or something. But it happens a lot, and I swear to god people here are in a continual state of pregnancy or something because I'll see the same faces time and time again with a growing brood of children and they just let them run around and scream because "Oh I'm pregnant :( it's too hard to manage all of them at once" Then leave them at home! Even when my sister was pregnant literally all she would talk about was her pregnancy. Every day for hours on end. Yes I got the memo, you told me all of this yesterday. And the day before. For months now.

You are not alone in this. Pregnant women, people with young kids, whatever, you stay out of my way and I'll stay out of yours, it's fine. But holy poo poo some of them are SO entitled. Doesn't matter if it's a subway seat or a parking space or a table at a restaurant, some people just believe their choice to get and stay pregnant trumps everything everyone else has got going on. With your specific example of "I'm pregnant and can't handle them all"...if you couldn't handle them all what made you think adding another would be a good idea?! I swear people don't think when making life-changing major decisions.

I have zero interest in kids or pregnancy--when some little guy or girl is hamming it up and trying to get my attention I just look the other way. I know this makes me sound callous but I'm just a person trying to go about her day with a minimum of bullshit and don't really have the interest to entertain some strange child while the parent is cooing about how cute it is that they're "flirting" with the strange lady in line behind them. Most parents get this and try to deflect the kid's attention elsewhere, but some parents fume if you don't give Princess the attention she so obviously craves.

And of course every work function is a constant conversation about how many kids they have, what the kids are up to, what life is like with kids. I remember being trapped at the end of a long table full of work people listening to tales of some guy's wife's episiotomy. Having kids removes all semblance of propriety and manners sometimes. Never thought I'd say this, but can we talk about work instead?

Re: handicap chat. I would never dream of using a handicap space, ever--regardless of how few minutes I'm going to be there--but my question is about restrooms. Say all the regular stalls are full and no one else is around so I go in the handicap stall. Usually no big deal, but for the few minutes I'm in there I'm terrified that I'm going to come out to face an irritated person in a wheelchair. But if I don't go in, and a line forms behind me, I'm the rear end in a top hat holding everyone up because I don't want to go in the handicap stall. Would actual handicapped people weigh in on how they would feel if they came into the bathroom in such a situation?

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
-When people's house alarms go off during the day. They're not ACTUALLY being robbed, so the cops aren't coming, so.... aagh. Just hours. And hours. Of BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP :shepicide:
-Religious people who say "I'll pray for you"... I mean, not that I don't appreciate the thought, but it's always awkward to pretend to believe in a god just to end an uncomfortable conversation.
-Europeans complaining about the imperial system of measurement. I grew up with feet and stone, I'm not changing my ways now dag nabbit :corsair: [Yes I am an old man :shobon:]

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

teenytinymouse posted:

This exact thing just happened again. Mum isn't well so went to bed then a whole car full of relatives arrive and I have to send them awaaaaay :argh:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

no they will not posted:

-Religious people who say "I'll pray for you"... I mean, not that I don't appreciate the thought, but it's always awkward to pretend to believe in a god just to end an uncomfortable conversation.
Holding back from shouting "YOUR GOD ISN'T REAL" isn't the same as pretending you believe in God jfc

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

All my cats have done this, so I assume this is common feline behavior: but, you know when you're walking down the hall and they jump up from wherever they are and patter really slowly in front of you, and if you try to walk ahead they just go between your feet? I always forget my cat can't speak English for a second and always shout, "GET THE gently caress OUT OF MY WAY, IDIOT."

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I have zero interest in kids or pregnancy--when some little guy or girl is hamming it up and trying to get my attention I just look the other way. I know this makes me sound callous but I'm just a person trying to go about her day with a minimum of bullshit and don't really have the interest to entertain some strange child while the parent is cooing about how cute it is that they're "flirting" with the strange lady in line behind them. Most parents get this and try to deflect the kid's attention elsewhere, but some parents fume if you don't give Princess the attention she so obviously craves.

Are you me?

Also, I was going to say this earlier but stopped myself because it seemed a little too goony -- when I'm playing my 3DS on the way to work and a kid sits next to me & starts trying to look at what I'm doing, I just close it. I'm playing games because I want to forget that there are people around me.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Holding back from shouting "YOUR GOD ISN'T REAL" isn't the same as pretending you believe in God jfc

Yes, but having to say "Oh... thank you" implies that I do think prayer works (it doesn't, by the way), and saying nothing is just rude. Not saying I blame them or anything, just that it's an awkward situation to be putting me in.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

It's a nice gesture wrapped in an uncomfortable religious imposition. Sure, you could say "Hey I appreciate it, but I don't believe in that kinda stuff," but then you'll still be the bad guy in spite of being as polite as possible about it.

For something with good intentions behind it, it's actually a surprisingly lovely thing to say. I guess you could say one of my pet peeves is religion being appropriate in public situations.

Back when I was delivering pizzas, I had a customer say a weird thing to me that should honestly have creeped me out more at the time. One of the delivery safety things you're taught when you start up is that you should never enter a customer's home. So of course, when this guy offers to let me step inside for a bit since it was cold out, I declined and told him that it won't be long. His reply was something along the lines of, "Oh no, don't worry, I'm not gonna strap you down and read bible passages to you or anything, haha." My immediate reaction is to blurt out "Oh no, that would be awful," and he just sadly muttered to himself that it wouldn't be that bad. Uh, what? :stare:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I forgot goons' biggest fear was people being religious at them. Thanking someone doesn't imply you believe prayer works anymore than thanking someone for saying "good luck" implies you believe that you'll have better luck because they wished it for you.

Do you guys also get uncomfortable when someone says "bless you" after you sneeze?

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I demand someone bless me when I sneeze because if they don't it means they want me to die of the plague :colbert:

My Nannys will both sometimes say they're going to pray for me when they know I'm not religious. When I was an rear end in a top hat teenager I might have said something but now I just say thanks because I'm not a rude fucker.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I mean, unless they're obviously saying it in a lovely way, I don't see the problem with saying "thank you" for the intent/thought and moving on.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:
(Prayer doesn't work, by the way, in case you thought I thought it did. Which I don't.)

(Prayer working, that is.)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Going "lean."

It's a new thing at work where someone high in corporate said hey, you fuckers don't need all the poo poo you got!

So we lost one computer in our main work area and have two. Only one has Net access, access to the timecard system, or any way to process work orders.

We lost four tables, which was where we did all the print paper finishing, binding, etc. Now there is a pallet of paper there, and the finishing stuff is on tiny tables set off to the side, and you have to walk around the loving pallet and through a major traffic area to get the actual work completed.

They yanked out all the scales in the shipping departments. I guess you're supposed to estimate the weight of everything you ship?

And soon we might lose one of our major color copiers and one of the black and whites. We have 2 of each.

Going lean is great if it meant we didn't lose half our poo poo!

People not using their loving headlights (NOT your brights, assholes!) when it's overcast. It's raining right now and amazing how many fuckers in gray vehicles don't have their lights on.

When companies post openings, but they already have someone picked out that already works there, but they are legally obligated to post the poo poo, so it wastes everyone's loving time!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Vic Boss posted:

(Prayer doesn't work, by the way, in case you thought I thought it did. Which I don't.)

(Prayer working, that is.)

But that's the most polite you could possibly be!

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

I forgot goons' biggest fear was people being religious at them. Thanking someone doesn't imply you believe prayer works anymore than thanking someone for saying "good luck" implies you believe that you'll have better luck because they wished it for you.

Do you guys also get uncomfortable when someone says "bless you" after you sneeze?

"Bless you" is a reaction to a sneeze. "I'll pray for you" isn't a common reaction to something happening; it's not like if someone stubs their toe you say "I'll pray for you". I have nothing against christians, I know most of them are good people, but it's kind of a weird thing to say to someone. That's all, no big deal! I don't know why it's caused this derail... sorry :(

Tendai posted:

Yeah I mean, unless they're obviously saying it in a lovely way, I don't see the problem with saying "thank you" for the intent/thought and moving on.

That's what I do, obviously... this is the pet hates thread, though, not the "really big problems" thread.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

cash crab posted:

All my cats have done this, so I assume this is common feline behavior: but, you know when you're walking down the hall and they jump up from wherever they are and patter really slowly in front of you, and if you try to walk ahead they just go between your feet? I always forget my cat can't speak English for a second and always shout, "GET THE gently caress OUT OF MY WAY, IDIOT."

Mine does it all the time, then he'll slow down and leap in front of you when you're about to go down stairs because he likes to clear them all in a single jump. This cat is going to be my death. I've already stepped on him several times because he walked under my foot. Why cat, why do you do this.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

But that's the most polite you could possibly be!

*rolls eyes*

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
A good pet peeve: religious stuff being socially acceptable. It really shouldn't be, but it is. Peeve.

Secondary pet peeve, probably cuz I'm a bit of a curmudgeon: a lot of heuristic sayings like "bless you" or "how ya doing" and stuff like that. I answer stuff honestly and I get in hot water when folks are like "How you doing" and I say "Not so hot, I was 5 minutes late today because the wind blew over my garbage cans this morning". They get all offended that I unloaded that stuff on them.

Don't fuckin' ask then. But oh wait, "how are you doing" isn't what you meant, "good morning"is what you meant.

Then say fuckin' good morning"

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
When you crack an egg and the yolk is bluish-green. :gonk: I know it's not dangerous, but it just weirds me out.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Maggie Fletcher posted:

the parent is cooing about how cute it is that they're "flirting" with the strange lady in line behind them.
Ew.

Jastiger posted:

Secondary pet peeve, probably cuz I'm a bit of a curmudgeon: a lot of heuristic sayings like "bless you" or "how ya doing" and stuff like that.
"Bless you" for sneezes annoys me, because then I have to thank someone for calling attention to the fact that I sneezed, which I would rather they hadn't done.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

gentle pete posted:

When you crack an egg and the yolk is bluish-green. :gonk: I know it's not dangerous, but it just weirds me out.
...wait, what? I have never seen this :stare: This is something that happens normally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So to bring back doctor chat, I have something that bothers me every day thanks to my dentist not listening to me. I went in to get a bunch of cavities fixed and a cap on one of my teeth replaced because it fell off and he just completely ignored most of what I was even there for and refused to replace the cap because "it looks fine" and insisted on putting a temporary filling in one of my molars for an operation I had already said point blank I wasn't going to get multiple times. So here I am now, the cap has cavities growing under it because oh hey, poo poo got in there when it fell off and I have no way of cleaning it! And the temporary filling is gone so now my molar is a jagged mess that slices my tongue up every so often. Thanks doc, you sure knew more about what I wanted than I did.

The pet peeve is doctors not listening to patients at all and being completely disrespectful of them.