Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Truga posted:

Yes, and that reason isn't a copyright issue. You just did the worst thing possible on youtube. You took down a video claiming copyrights when it was evidently not.

Enjoy your epic shitstorm.

Yes, it's a copyright issue because it wasn't a video made for public distribution. That's why I flagged it as private. I have had several discussions with YouTube showing that their lovely YouTubeGaming portal, failed to make the video private when the stream was completed. Had that not happened, there would be no video to make a parody of. YouTube doesn't just take a video down because it's flagged. It stays up until you go through a series of back and forth questions with their DMCA people. If they are not satisfied, the video stays up. Then you have to take legal action.

FYI, YouTube's interface does not have the option for reporting such an issue without filing a DMCA claim. That's why I did it.

Note that the video casts her in a poor light, than it does me. So it's not like it's something that I would rather not be out there. It's about the principle of it all.

ps: I dunno what shitstorm you're talking about, considering that it was more of a fizzle and a non-issue.

pps: When it comes to questions of legality, I tend not to mess around. I have attorneys on retainer who answer to emails and phone calls that I send. For a public figure like me, there is always some opportunist around the corner looking for something to grab onto and make a case out of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Wulfling posted:

I mean hell, just look at how their FPS with all the fancy new animation systems are working for them. In an FPS engine. With the engine developers on staff.

Have patience guys, Maximum Realism takes time! Afterall Rome wasn't built in a day :suicide:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

All there is in that blog post is you denying the DMCA takedown had anything to do with you hating the creators guts.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Io_ posted:

Have patience guys, Maximum Realism takes time! Afterall Rome wasn't built in a day :suicide:

gently caress your rome reference bullshit

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

D_Smart posted:

Yes, it's a copyright issue because it wasn't a video made for public distribution.

That's not a copyright issue, that's a personal issue you have. The interview was publicly viewable and therefore of public domain, nobody broke into a vault and stole it from you.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

YouTube doesn't just take a video down because it's flagged.

It's a good thing this has nothing to do with youtube and everything to do with how to a 3rd party, it looks like you censored someone else's content you didn't like by claiming copyright, then.

That's a really really bad position to be in.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Fang The Parrot posted:

Do you really think you'll be able to get a result from litigation within 12 months?

Or do you think they will just collapse from lack of funds before the game or any litigation can be resolved?

Yes, since it is an open and shut issue, the odds are that discovery will happen sooner rather than latter. Especially given what the attorneys are planning to put together for the judge, showing the urgency of the situation.

That's why I'm not even bothering with a defamation (if you read his Derek Smart / Escapist diatribe you'll see what I mean e.g. associating me with group said to be a hate group, is a slam dunk) suit that would be distracting. The legal action is all about Star Citizen and the search for accountability.

Even if they collapse - which I fully expect will happen if they don't get bailed out - it won't matter. Remember that 38 Studios collapsed, and Schilling didn't go bankrupt until months later. That case is still going on.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Friendly Tumour posted:

All there is in that blog post is you denying the DMCA takedown had anything to do with you hating the creators guts.

That was the gist of it, because some were saying that I took it down because I didn't like it. And that's false.

Truga posted:

It's a good thing this has nothing to do with youtube and everything to do with how to a 3rd party, it looks like you censored someone else's content you didn't like by claiming copyright, then.

I dunno man, but a very expensive attorney disagrees.

Truga posted:

It's the Internet; dramatic bullshit occurs every minute of the day.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Oct 19, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm sorry to say this, but your expensive attorney is a quack.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

D_Smart posted:

I dunno man, but a very expensive attorney disagrees.

What does the opinion of a professional rear end in a top hat have to do with any of this? You're acting like an rear end with no good reason, going "it's legal!" doesn't change that.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

D_Smart posted:

That was the gist of it, because some were saying that I took it down because I didn't like it. And that's false.

Yeah, but in the absence of anything but your denials about it being personal, that's what people are going to think. You don't convince people by going "nuh-uh!" for 500 words.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Friendly Tumour posted:

What does the opinion of a professional rear end in a top hat have to do with any of this? You're acting like an rear end with no good reason, going "it's legal!" doesn't change that.

I am a content creator, I know my rights. And regardless of what you - or any fool thinks - there are times when you have to defer to those who know what they're talking about.

The crux of the matter is that, in a term that attorneys tend to use, "she's conflicted out". And she put herself in that position when it became clear that there was a COI at play and was most likely the impetus for her creating the video and using my content without my permission.

You don't have to like (that's largely irrelevant), but that's just the way it is.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

Friendly Tumour posted:

Yeah, but in the absence of anything but your denials about it being personal, that's what people are going to think. You don't convince people by going "nuh-uh!" for 500 words.

Not to be a Derek Smart apologist, but what is he supposed to do other than deny it? Give money to a charity? Buy starship jpegs?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Friendly Tumour posted:

Yes, I agree. And it was because of the COI that came to light when some people pointed it out, that caused me to write it.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Friendly Tumour posted:

That's not a copyright issue, that's a personal issue you have. The interview was publicly viewable and therefore of public domain, nobody broke into a vault and stole it from you.

That's not how copyright/public domain works. :ssh:

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

Ledenko posted:

Buy starship jpegs?

no one should be subject to such a fate

no one

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ledenko posted:

Not to be a Derek Smart apologist, but what is he supposed to do other than deny it? Give money to a charity? Buy starship jpegs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DGNZnfKYnU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
In other news...and you're not going to believe your eyes and ears when you review this....Star Citizen: Early Multi-crew action in Free Flight

This is what some Star Citizen White Knights are calling an "amazing" game. Seriously. Watch.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

D_Smart posted:

I am a content creator, I know my rights. And regardless of what you - or any fool thinks - there are times when you have to defer to those who know what they're talking about.

The crux of the matter is that, in a term that attorneys tend to use, "she's conflicted out". And she put herself in that position when it became clear that there was a COI at play and was most likely the impetus for her creating the video and using my content without my permission.

You don't have to like (that's largely irrelevant), but that's just the way it is.

D_Smart posted:

Yes, I agree. And it was because of the COI that came to light when some people pointed it out, that caused me to write it.

Yeah? Where are you going with this? She doesn't like you and therefore made a video mocking you. You censoring her video because she doesn't like you doesn't make it ok, legal or not. It's still a dick move and the law is an rear end for giving you the right to do it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

D_Smart posted:

In other news...and you're not going to believe your eyes and ears when you review this....Star Citizen: Early Multi-crew action in Free Flight

This is what some Star Citizen White Knights are calling an "amazing" game. Seriously. Watch.

lmao

"this is AMAZING"

Fang The Parrot
Oct 16, 2015

$2500 of spaceships?

D_Smart posted:

Well I wouldn't call it a game but it did look pretty good, and it at least shows that some of what they demo'd at CitCon does work.

Probably the best video I've seen that actually shows some of what CIG has promised actually working.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

D_Smart posted:

Oh look they perfectly demonstrated the gameplay experience of the boarding team.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
I find it disturbing that DickWulf is taking screenshots of the thread. The same Dickwulf that leaked details from Sandi Roberts about the "real" reason for Alex Mayberry's department, the same thread that Sandi sent a screenshot of to that radio guy in some ludicrous attempt to warn him off . There's a 93 million dollar company with 1 million backers (ok actually 700k accounts that backed so probably ~500k real people) and it seems a major part of their spin and damage control is being handled by a fedora wearing, sword wielding, unemployed helpdesk agent that spent 30k on pretend spaceships.

Dickwulf start selling your ships mate, you at least should be bright enough and honest enough with yourself to realise that any company that takes you seriously is pretty hosed up and heading for disaster. No saying how long the market is going to last and you're going to lose all that money, do you really think Sandi is still going to talk to you after all this is over?

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Fang The Parrot posted:

Well I wouldn't call it a game but it did look pretty good, and it at least shows that some of what they demo'd at CitCon does work.

Probably the best video I've seen that actually shows some of what CIG has promised actually working.

Yeah except sitting down in the cabin of someone else's ship while the netcode vainly tries to update everyone's position before spazzing out and giving up has been in free flight since like March.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

3 posted:

Yeah except sitting down in the cabin of someone else's ship while the netcode vainly tries to update everyone's position before spazzing out and giving up has been in free flight since like March.

star citizen 13: clowns and poop

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

D_Smart posted:

I agree.

However, that's not what happened actually. It's the same issue that happened with Sandi and Skye. The kid just happened to be in the Sandi picture on IMDB. A picture that, along with other evidence (public court records which we never revealed btw) we had uncovered, made it clear that she and Croberts were married. Before that, and long before the CitCon reveal, most in the SC community were saying that I was making poo poo up. Since then, guess what? Now they're saying "Oh yeah, it was obvious all along". Clowns.

In the case of DickWulf, their profiles were reference linked to each other. Since they are public profiles - and seeing he was lying about where he used to work - the work history in both showed they both worked at the same place for a time. That was the only reason.

And the reason that this even came up? Well, aside from all the despicable things he's doing, this is the same guy issuing threats of bodily harm to others on the Internet.

It's a morals thing really. The general consensus in all social media is that if you can Google it, then it's not doxxing.

So no, it has absolutely nothing to do with her; though he put this collage together and is spreading it as proof of doxing. Go figure.

Mr. Dr. Smart, I appreciate your contribution to the thread, I really do. And it's cool that thanks to you some people could get their money back. As I said, with Sandi, I can understand why it's important to research her background to some extent, since it may have direct effect on how the company operates. With Wulf Knight, I also understand that you get all that info from open sources and and it's technically not doxing, and I've got to say his photos are quite funny, but there are still some lines that I think shouldn't be crossed. I've mentioned Doobie in my post. He's a man from Alabama who, with help of goons, has kickstarted a hot dog restaurant in Bumfuck, AL. He is also pretty inept and for quite awhile it was fun to make jokes about his poorly designed menus and casual racism, but people got so obsessed with him, they would meticulously dissect every family photo in his album and make fun of his children. They would know what he's doing at any given moment, what his wife's wearing, etc. It wasn't healthy and more importantly it wasn't fun anymore. Wulf is a sad sad man that we already know more than we'd ever wanted to know about. Adding his wife to the mix only makes it harder to laugh at him, and I really just feel bad for that poor woman. Wulf means very little to success/failure of Star Citizen and as such shouldn't be paid more attention than he's already given. I believe it's John Keats, who said that Newton had destroyed all poetry in rainbow turning it into a mere combination of prismatic colours. By doing extensive research on funny internet clowns, you do the same. They turn into a combination of tragic life choices and mental illnesses. Please, don't unweave that rainbow, Mr. Dr. Smart.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Oct 19, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Paladinus posted:

Mr. Dr. Smart, I appreciate your contribution to the thread, I really do. And it's cool that thanks to you some people could get their money back. As I said, with Sandi, I can understand why it's important to research her background to some extent, since it may have direct effect on how the company operates. With Wulf Knight, I also understand that you get all that info from open sources and and it's technically not doxing, and I've got to say his photos are quite funny, but there are still some lines that I think shouldn't be crossed. I've mentioned Doobie in my post. He's a man from Alabama who, with help of goons, has kickstarted a hot dog restaurant in Bumfuck, AL. He is also pretty inept and for quite awhile it was fun to make jokes about his poorly designed menus and casual racism, but people got so obsessed with him, they would meticulously dissect every family photo in his album and make fun of his children. They would know what he's doing at any given moment, what his wife's wearing, etc. It wasn't healthy and more importantly it wasn't fun anymore. Wulf is a sad sad man that we already know more than we'd ever wanted to know about. Adding his wife to the mix only makes it harder to laugh at him, and I really just feel bad for that poor woman. Wulf means very little to success/failure of Star Citizen and as such shouldn't be paid more attention than he's already given. I believe it's John Keats, who said that Newton had destroyed all poetry in rainbow turning it into merely a combination prismatic colours. By doing extensive research on funny internet clowns, you do the same. They turn into a combination of tragic life choices and mental illnesses. Please, don't unweave that rainbow, Mr. Dr. Smart.

:yeah:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
But the real question is will baby PU be bigger than Ben Lesnick?

Fang The Parrot
Oct 16, 2015

$2500 of spaceships?

Paladinus posted:

But the real question is will baby PU be bigger that Ben Lesnick?

are we talking 32bit :lesnick: or 64bit :lesnick: ?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

AP posted:

I find it disturbing that DickWulf is taking screenshots of the thread. The same Dickwulf that leaked details from Sandi Roberts about the "real" reason for Alex Mayberry's department, the same thread that Sandi sent a screenshot of to that radio guy in some ludicrous attempt to warn him off . There's a 93 million dollar company with 1 million backers (ok actually 700k accounts that backed so probably ~500k real people) and it seems a major part of their spin and damage control is being handled by a fedora wearing, sword wielding, unemployed helpdesk agent that spent 30k on pretend spaceships.

Dickwulf start selling your ships mate, you at least should be bright enough and honest enough with yourself to realise that any company that takes you seriously is pretty hosed up and heading for disaster. No saying how long the market is going to last and you're going to lose all that money, do you really think Sandi is still going to talk to you after all this is over?

Dude, this is the most attention anyone has probably ever paid him. He'll ride this one out until the bitter end, and then probably still flog the purulent corpse for at least a decade while sending his "friends" Ben 'I don't leave my bed anymore' Lesnick, and co more pizzas in the hope that if the game somehow gets resurrected, he'll have a job on the team.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
It's starting to look like Derek Smart is approaching the "you live long enough to see yourself become the villain" stage of participating in this thread.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug
Someone in this thread posted about space games that are out or are coming out before star citizen but I can't seem to find it. Does anyone know who it was posted by?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

3 posted:

Shameless plug.

Any Goon who already has access to the WIP Line Of Defense, probably knows that the networking code is solid and that we've had multi-crew for over two years now. In fact, we have an Automated Transport System (one test node on Heatwave and the other in space) in the builds and which multiple people can sit in while it flies around.

Oh, and the Starguard carrier is an entire ship. In space. You can run around inside. And in the final version, it too will fly around space. While gamers are doing all kinds of poo poo inside.

1) 2010 - 2015 (exclude one year after I trashed the entire engine and built a new one starting in mid 2011)
2) less than 16 (currently 7, going up to 12-14 now that we're revamping some of the asset textures such as characters, weapons, vehicles etc)
3) less than $12m (to date)

Bigger, more feature rich and technologically efficient, and complete than this $93m disaster in the making.

Just sayin' :)

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

D_Smart posted:

:words:Dickwulf

I don't know why you're putting so much effort in getting into a pissing match with this guy.

I mean, you've already won by not being the guy who can't sexually satisfy his wife and has to resort to sending unwanted dick pics to strangers.

How can anyone be a bigger sadder loser than someone who's unemployed, on disability and then proceeds to spending $20+k on spaceship photos and a further $8+k on buying internet friends? A man who sits all day at home alone on places like Reddit to defend a literal cult.

Responding to him just gives him the validation he is desperately craving. Sit back and mock/pity him for his poor life choices but don't touch the poop.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Sappo569 posted:

Jesus christ how is it the pitch video is more polished, and looks fun

But the recent video of their turd being squeezed out is like a video from 2002

Whenever I consider pledging more I go back and watch the older videos... Much better.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

D_Smart posted:

Shameless plug.

Any Goon who already has access to the WIP Line Of Defense, probably knows that the networking code is solid and that we've had multi-crew for over two years now. In fact, we have an Automated Transport System (one test node on Heatwave and the other in space) in the builds and which multiple people can sit in while it flies around.

Oh, and the Starguard carrier is an entire ship. In space. You can run around inside. And in the final version, it too will fly around space. While gamers are doing all kinds of poo poo inside.

1) 2010 - 2015 (exclude one year after I trashed the entire engine and built a new one starting in mid 2011)
2) less than 16 (currently 7, going up to 12-14 now that we're revamping some of the asset textures such as characters, weapons, vehicles etc)
3) less than $12m (to date)

Bigger, more feature rich and technologically efficient, and complete than this $93m disaster in the making.

Just sayin' :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lw-cwIGuy0

lmao

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

macnbc posted:

It's starting to look like Derek Smart is approaching the "you live long enough to see yourself become the villain" stage of participating in this thread.

It's wrong to look at him as the (morally) good guy, he's not and never has been - it just happens that he's on the same side as goons when it comes to SC

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Star Citizen has revolutionised gaming with their pay-to-pay model. The game's already a success.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
More like

Paladinus posted:

their pay-to-not-play model

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

Ledenko posted:

It's wrong to look at him as the (morally) good guy, he's not and never has been - it just happens that he's on the same side as goons when it comes to SC

So essentially he's Catwoman? Derek Smart - transgender furry confirmed!

• Locked thread