Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

Cornjob posted:

So what is the point of plex even having the option of "local files" for a scraper? what is it looking for?
Embedded metadata?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Get. loving. In.

Universal search in Apple TV will indeed be accessible via API after all.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/10/03/apple-tv-universal-search-api/

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

EL BROMANCE posted:

Get. loving. In.

Apple TV best plex box then. That's pretty drat cool.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Get. loving. In.

Wow, the lack of arbitrary restrictions on media playback in the new AppleTV seems really unlike Apple. Stebe would so not be okay with this.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

havenwaters posted:

Apple TV best plex box then. That's pretty drat cool.

Pretty much this.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

teagone posted:

Pretty much this.

XBox One still wins my heart for having an OTA tuner and the ability to play MPEG2 files without transcoding, but being able to bark "[show name]!" into the remote and having your copy of it in PiracyApp show up next to iTunes and Hulu Plus is pretty loving rad of AppleTV.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

TheScott2K posted:

XBox One still wins my heart for having an OTA tuner and the ability to play MPEG2 files without transcoding, but being able to bark "[show name]!" into the remote and having your copy of it in PiracyApp show up next to iTunes and Hulu Plus is pretty loving rad of AppleTV.

I'd still wait to make sure it actually works this way before grabbing one though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Haha, of COURSE my Plex Pass runs out literally a few days before I need it for the last time in the next couple of months. I thought the prices were going up? Still came to £21 (~$30) for the year, and £60 ($100~) for lifetime. Given this is my second year subscribe I'd probably have been better off just going for lifetime the first time around, can't really justify it right now. Probably should've just done the monthly option for now, but eh.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

v4 of the ios app is such poo poo :(

It looks awesome, but sync functionality is so much worse than on v3.
It'll randomly tell me there's no storage, when there is, or will just start slowing to 30kbs and nothing short of deleting the app and resyncing everything stops it doing this.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

Haha, of COURSE my Plex Pass runs out literally a few days before I need it for the last time in the next couple of months. I thought the prices were going up? Still came to £21 (~$30) for the year, and £60 ($100~) for lifetime. Given this is my second year subscribe I'd probably have been better off just going for lifetime the first time around, can't really justify it right now. Probably should've just done the monthly option for now, but eh.

It shows $149.99 USD lifetime for me. $100 I would consider but $149 is ehhh, I don't use mobile sync or etc enough to bother. I've moved over to Emby but still have a few friends who use Plex to watch my stuff.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Interesting, maybe it's because I had a previous sub it locked me in?

And yeah, suffered from the 'device full' message all morning today. Lame.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

drat, glad I jumped on the lifetime sub when it was only $75.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Khablam posted:

v4 of the ios app is such poo poo :(
Ya, I'm not caring much for it either - It fails to connect locally about half the time, makes some unusually decisions about what's on deck. Randomly decides to ignore new things, and crashes about 2/5 times in playback.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Thankfully playback has been smooth and seamless and I've never given a poo poo about what's on deck.
I just wish the functionality you actually pay for had some attention payed to actually making it work.
Mine lasts about 3 days before it hits a fit of complaints that it's full, then a couple of days doing that and it will stop / start syncing every second meaning to sync one 45min episode in SD would take about 4 hours if I left it to it.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I honestly can't believe how long it took them to update the iOS app, seems like a pretty big letdown.

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004
Having an issue that has probably been covered but can't seem to find the right way to search for it.

Running plex server and home theatre app off my HTPC. Hooked up to my receiver via HDMI, then receiver to tv with HDMI as well.

Every time or every other time I wake up the computer, and plex was still open when he computer hibernated, the resolution of Plex is fubared. It's either blown up or half the size it should be. Not a HUGE issue (all I have to do is restart the app), but if there's something I can do to fix it that'd be very convenient.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think going in and out of full screen ( \ ) usually fixes that, I get it too sometimes.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Plex Media Player

https://blog.plex.tv/2015/10/20/introducing-the-plex-media-player/

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

What dicks. Dumping PHT for this and requiring plex pass.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

that page posted:

Will it be available to everyone? The new app is launching as an early preview version for our Plex Pass subscribers. Once the preview period ends, it will be available to all users; we’ll make another announcement when that happens.

Also, they're still putting out bugfixes for PHT for now.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Moey posted:

What dicks. Dumping PHT for this and requiring plex pass.

What, just need plex pass for the preview

"It’ll be free for everyone after the preview period."

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Maneki Neko posted:

What, just need plex pass for the preview

"It’ll be free for everyone after the preview period."

That will be 2 years from now.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Moey posted:

That will be 2 years from now.

so pay up for a good and worthwhile product, you cheap goon

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
It looks identical to what I've been using for months on the XBox One to play content from the Plex Media Server installed on my PC.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

GutBomb posted:

It looks identical to what I've been using for months on the XBox One to play content from the Plex Media Server installed on my PC.

Yeah I'm not impressed. Same UI that's on the Roku and the Windows Store mobile app as well. I mean, it's cool that they're unifying the UI of their media players across the board but there's nothing to get excited about with this new release. Goodbye to PHT though. You had a nice run.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I was never particularly impressed with PHT anyway. On my PC I've been using the Windows Store app which is fine. As far as Plex's future is concerned, all I really want is for it to keep working, keep up with new formats, and maybe start giving a poo poo about live OTA TV.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

I was never particularly impressed with PHT anyway. On my PC I've been using the Windows Store app which is fine. As far as Plex's future is concerned, all I really want is for it to keep working, keep up with new formats, and maybe start giving a poo poo about live OTA TV.

Yeah that is really all I need to have a complete solution. I hope the people at Silicon Dust who make the HD home runs come out with an app for Plex or Plex figures out away to integrate live tv, because I want to be able to watch OTA through Plex.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Burden posted:

Yeah that is really all I need to have a complete solution. I hope the people at Silicon Dust who make the HD home runs come out with an app for Plex or Plex figures out away to integrate live tv, because I want to be able to watch OTA through Plex.

It's a tough one because for sports you really do need 60 fps (which Chromecast v1 doesn't even support, IIRC), and god knows you need a better interface than what Channels can give you. I'm not holding my breath, but it would be nice.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

TheScott2K posted:

It's a tough one because for sports you really do need 60 fps (which Chromecast v1 doesn't even support, IIRC), and god knows you need a better interface than what Channels can give you. I'm not holding my breath, but it would be nice.

I stream 60fps sports to my Chromecast using hockeystreams all the time?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Now I've got to get my wife used to this new interface. Ugh.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

Chromecast v1 can do 720p60. It caps at 30 fps in 1080p.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

teagone posted:

Chromecast v1 can do 720p60. It caps at 30 fps in 1080p.

Ahh, well that makes it a nonissue with games on Fox and a couple of my locals, at least.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm guessing you can just install the new Plex thing to try out and have it run side by side with an existing Plex client/server setup? Or whether PlexConnect for AppleTV plays ball with it out the box?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm guessing you can just install the new Plex thing to try out and have it run side by side with an existing Plex client/server setup? Or whether PlexConnect for AppleTV plays ball with it out the box?

The plex media player? Yes I installed it on my desktop machine. The messaging from the plex team about this has been awful.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cheers, I'll have a little mess about with it tonight. For some reason I thought it was a replacement to server as well, but I think that was just tired eyes reading the PR last night.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
I'm not entirely sure I get what this change entails. Right now, I have pled server installed on my laptop and I use the iOS app to cast stuff to my chrome cast. Can someone ruin me through the difference in what I do versus someone who uses plex home theatre or the new player?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Does display mode switching in the new app work for anyone? I just get a blank screen. It's disabled by default which makes me wonder if it's working properly or not. I have a 24p capable display so it's pretty important it works for me for 90% of what I want.

CrispKing
Jul 12, 2008

mike- posted:

I'm not entirely sure I get what this change entails. Right now, I have pled server installed on my laptop and I use the iOS app to cast stuff to my chrome cast. Can someone ruin me through the difference in what I do versus someone who uses plex home theatre or the new player?

If you have a PC/windows/mac/Raspberry Pi 2 or some sort of HTPC hooked up directly to your TV then you probably used to run Plex Home Theater on that. They're replacing that app with the new "Plex Media Player".

For you, this means nothing.

DaRealAce
Dec 27, 2004
Touch It.. No I dont want to... TOUCH IT!

CrispKing posted:

If you have a PC/windows/mac/Raspberry Pi 2 or some sort of HTPC hooked up directly to your TV then you probably used to run Plex Home Theater on that. They're replacing that app with the new "Plex Media Player".

For you, this means nothing.

Sorry - for some reason I cannot wrap my head around this.

If I have PHT installed on a dedicated PC (NOT HOOKED UP TO THE TV)use ChromeCast and the Android App/Plex webpage do I benefit from this at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

DaRealAce posted:

Sorry - for some reason I cannot wrap my head around this.

If I have PHT installed on a dedicated PC (NOT HOOKED UP TO THE TV)use ChromeCast and the Android App/Plex webpage do I benefit from this at all?

WTF do you use PHT for if it's not hooked up to anything? I think you're confusing two applications. There is the Plex Media Server, which indexes your poo poo and serves it out to a client application. The client application can be Plex Home Theater, or it can be the iOS Plex application, or now it can be the new Plex Media Player. As you currently use the iOS Plex application as your client, this change won't affect you.

Unless you use Plex Home Theater for watching your plex content on your PC? If you do then you could replace that client application with the new one.