Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

RandomPauI posted:

My experience with Bill Burr was different. I saw him do material for a Patton Oswalt and Friends show last year. The audience was warm for everyone but Bill, they just didn't like his "ironic" misogyny shtick. So then he went on a rant about the problem being with us because the jokes were funny, that we were all online social justice warriors, etc. That still didn't get a laugh. Probably because that sort of joke is some open mic level poo poo.

I guess that crowd was just too smart for bill burr and his shtick. It's a shame because I saw him in Portland (known for its distinct lack of social justice warriors) and the place went nuts. What a world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Just wrapping up a stay in NYC, and saw Louis CK drop in unannounced at the Comedy Cellar to try 50 new minutes of new material. Went to UCB to check out Whiplash the next night, and he dropped in to do the same thing with a few new premises and small bits of wording change. It was near to see into his process like that.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

did he make anybody watch him jerk off

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

RandomPauI posted:

My experience with Bill Burr was different. I saw him do material for a Patton Oswalt and Friends show last year. The audience was warm for everyone but Bill, they just didn't like his "ironic" misogyny shtick. So then he went on a rant about the problem being with us because the jokes were funny, that we were all online social justice warriors, etc. That still didn't get a laugh. Probably because that sort of joke is some open mic level poo poo.

It's weird I like guys like Jeselnik and all but yea, I can't get into Burr's stuff when he goes on and on with his 'I'm IRONICALLY saying just kinda lovely things to make you say something so I can call you a PC idiot'. Like, that's just kinda like that 'ha ha I was only pretending to poo poo my pants' comic, cool you didn't actually do that but it doesn't really change that that's a weird thing to 'pretend' about.

I think if he just did a few of those jokes it'd work better but he devotes like, major chunks of his sets to them and I just tune out after the third "WOMEN right???" joke. With Jeselnik the whole faux-shock comedy stuff is so absurdly over the top it's clear the joke is him just seeing how far he can get before the audience cringes. With Burr it's just 'yea, dude's saying some poo poo that I would expect a misogynist to say, and you're the rear end in a top hat if you think that's dumb, cool'.

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

Watching the new Jeselnik special, I began to feel what it must have felt like to watch Andrew Dice Clay shows in the 80s. Dark undercurrents of nihilism and reactionary politics in the audience converging on a performance art piece. The real trouble is that Jeselnik really seems to believe his edgy shtick now.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Past Tense Ragu posted:

Watching the new Jeselnik special, I began to feel what it must have felt like to watch Andrew Dice Clay shows in the 80s. Dark undercurrents of nihilism and reactionary politics in the audience converging on a performance art piece. The real trouble is that Jeselnik really seems to believe his edgy shtick now.

Really? I thought his whole joke about how he understood that standing by his tweet would have hurt others on his show so he took it down despite not liking it was a fairly nice little peek at him actually showing a level of introspection and empathy to contrast the rest of his set, especially coming right before his last bit.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Yeah, Jeselnik as a person is NOT the stand-up persona. It's obvious.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

Past Tense Ragu posted:

That feels like a really generous appraisal of Andrew Dice Clay.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Apoplexy posted:

Yeah, Jeselnik as a person is NOT the stand-up persona. It's obvious.

Well, he's not a serial killer, obviously, but I'm pretty sure the arrogance and mild sociopathy are real.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I somehow doubt that. He just has a great sense of humor.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Try to find some candid interviews with him. His standup persona and his real life persona are very obviously two sides of the same coin, but he's a very bright and likeable guy when he's not doing his schtick. I say this as someone who is not a huge fan of his work, and very ready to hate him.

e: Just to be clear, I don't mind the content of his act, I just never enjoyed his stage persona & delivery. It's interesting to hear he tried something new in his latest special, though.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 21, 2015

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Gonna link this episode of Never Not Funny because I thought the same thing about Jeselnik, and basically wouldn't have watched the special if I hadn't found out he was actually really friendly and charming off-stage.

I never thought he was entirely the monster he pretends to be, but I assumed he was at least kind of a dick because how can you not be when your comedy is that mean-spirited. I was absolutely wrong.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DangerDummy! posted:

Try to find some candid interviews with him. His standup persona and his real life persona are very obviously two sides of the same coin, but he's a very bright and likeable guy when he's not doing his schtick. I say this as someone who is not a huge fan of his work, and very ready to hate him.

e: Just to be clear, I don't mind the content of his act, I just never enjoyed his stage persona & delivery. It's interesting to hear he tried something new in his latest special, though.

Yea obviously the dude genuinely has a dark sense of humor and all but in the real interviews he's given he's always seemed like a perfectly normal dude who used his act as an excuse to basically say the crazy hosed up 'haha, but no I'd never say that' kinda jokes a lot of people probably have had pass through our minds.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I'll be listening to that Never Not Funny, but if you want to see him ruthlessly mocking Doug Benson during a Getting Doug With High, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6US1ov7mNI

Also: "Pete, you look like the CEO of a pumpkin patch." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkZY3oifV68

Apoplexy fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 21, 2015

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I saw bill burr last night in Pittsburgh and it was a great set full of good material that got a bit derailed when some woman kept screaming SWIIIIIIINE FLUUUUU during his pauses. any time he seemed like he was getting back on track, she would scream it again

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I don't understand people like that. I saw Jim Jefferies do standup last year and people kept yelling poo poo the whole time too. It's annoying.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What's y'all's best comedy albums and specials of the year? I've seriously fallen behind.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Bill Burr, Amy Schumer, and Anthony Jeselnik all have new specials that own.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I like PFT's new Comedy Central special

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Guy Branum and Kyle Kinane had great albums this year.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I hope they repair the PFT special and it gets an announcement because I missed it the first time around.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

RandomPauI posted:

I hope they repair the PFT special and it gets an announcement because I missed it the first time around.

Last I checked, Comedy Central was going to the store for some duct tape and superglue so it shouldn't be long.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What happened to the PFT special? I didn't even know it existed until that post, and I love me some PFT.

Also, yeah, gotta agree with the more negative opinions of Bill Burr in here. I'm aware that he's a brilliant comic, but I can't stand the misogyny and his general worldview, ironic or not. He just comes off like a selfish libertarian rear end in a top hat, even through the lens of irony. Jeselnik completely works for me though, because for Burr the targets always seem wrong and for Jeselnik they always seem right. Aside, maybe, from the shark party victim. But his awareness surrounding it made that really work in the special.

To me, Burr makes me uncomfortable in the same way that some of Carlin's more conservative 90s stuff makes me uncomfortable. That history will not look back kindly on it.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
What do you think of Burr's bit about how "ya gotta hang out with everybody" because white people without black friends don't know about using lotion? And I mean Jeselnik does have that joke (I think the first one on his second-to-most-recent special) about scolding his girlfriend for not being as skinny as an actual drug addict. And, ya know, all the dead babies. (I like both comics.)

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Bill Burr would go on Opie and Anthony and tear Ant the gently caress down over his right-wing retardation and racism. He's married to a black lady, after many times saying he'd never get married. Any bigotry in his act is ironic and counter-indicated by his actual beliefs espoused on hundreds of hours of podcast and radio you can look up.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Bill Burr rules.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Shovelbearer posted:

That feels like a really generous appraisal of Andrew Dice Clay.

Not at all. The Day the Laughter Died is honestly a genius piece of work, that shows that the Dice Man was probably a lot smarter than he lead on. Honestly all of Dices old stuff is great. It's when he got super gigantic he started to believe his persona, and became exactly who he was mocking. It's the same thing with Sam Kinison. Kinison's early stuff he is clearly the butt of the joke. He plays this sad sack who can never get anything right, and he doesn't have a spine to speak of. The stuff where he yells is his true intentions being expressed and they are often dark and offensive. It's a really great character. When he became a big time celebrity though is when he started to buy into his own shtick and was wearing leather, and having naked girls on stage and just unironically calling all women dumb whores.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I just don't think Bill Burr has ever said something that made me laugh, that's why I don't like him.

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

Apoplexy posted:

Bill Burr would go on Opie and Anthony and tear Ant the gently caress down over his right-wing retardation and racism. He's married to a black lady, after many times saying he'd never get married. Any bigotry in his act is ironic and counter-indicated by his actual beliefs espoused on hundreds of hours of podcast and radio you can look up.

Yeah i don't really get the criticism of Burr in this thread. If you don't like his comedy that's one thing, but ascribing his persona or bits to actual opinions or parts of his character is just as dumb as doing it to any other comic. And seriously, calling him libertarian or right wing? That dude constantly attacks greed in the free market , and he regularly demolished Ant's right-wing bullshit with plenty of enthusiasm.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Just because most of his friends are black and he's married to a black lady that's on his show all the time doesn't mean he doesn't hate black people. Have you heard his words? He obviously hates minorities and ladies.

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

Ariza posted:

Just because most of his friends are black and he's married to a black lady that's on his show all the time doesn't mean he doesn't hate black people. Have you heard his words? He obviously hates minorities and ladies.

Obviously. Also, I think Louis CK secretly hates homosexuals. I mean listen to the guy.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Prickly Pete posted:

Obviously. Also, I think Louis CK secretly hates homosexuals. I mean listen to the guy.

I think the only ones who are OK are white, well off college aged kids. Everyone else is a piece of poo poo. I mean who has a better perspective on the world than a 20 year old that spends 14 hours a day on a computer?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Burr rules. Jeselnik rules. Comedy rules.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I like when Bill Burr calls the companies who advertise on his podcast stupid and/or lovely and they pull their sponsorship

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

What happened to the PFT special? I didn't even know it existed until that post, and I love me some PFT.

Also, yeah, gotta agree with the more negative opinions of Bill Burr in here. I'm aware that he's a brilliant comic, but I can't stand the misogyny and his general worldview, ironic or not. He just comes off like a selfish libertarian rear end in a top hat, even through the lens of irony. Jeselnik completely works for me though, because for Burr the targets always seem wrong and for Jeselnik they always seem right. Aside, maybe, from the shark party victim. But his awareness surrounding it made that really work in the special.

To me, Burr makes me uncomfortable in the same way that some of Carlin's more conservative 90s stuff makes me uncomfortable. That history will not look back kindly on it.

I don't know what they're talking about or what joke they're referencing but you can watch it here if you enter your cable/sat login stuff: http://www.cc.com/full-episodes/7o5r13/paul-f--tompkins--crying-and-driving-paul-f--tompkins--crying-and-driving-season-1-ep-101

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Prickly Pete posted:

No it's just a funny voice *louis ck face*

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Speaking of,

Piquai Souban posted:

Just wrapping up a stay in NYC, and saw Louis CK drop in unannounced at the Comedy Cellar to try 50 new minutes of new material. Went to UCB to check out Whiplash the next night, and he dropped in to do the same thing with a few new premises and small bits of wording change. It was near to see into his process like that.

What kinda material was he doing? Funny voices stuff or like Conan O'Brien cellphone stuff?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

feedmyleg posted:

What's y'all's best comedy albums and specials of the year? I've seriously fallen behind.
Kyle Kinane wins the year for me. Jen Kirkman and PFT had good ones too.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Illinois Smith posted:

Kyle Kinane wins the year for me. Jen Kirkman and PFT had good ones too.

Yea Kyle's album is solid gold, PFT's is good too, and Schumer, but Kyle is just on his own level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

It's crazy how good kyle kinane is. All three of his specials are totally excellent.