Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

No way that's not a troll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Back Hack posted:

No way that's not a troll.

Well, they are Norwegians. They basically invented trolls.

In political news, our Comptroller's estimate of the state revenue for the biennium turns out to be several billion dollars more than what we'll actually make. (Turns out, just as anyone could have told him, oil prices aren't going to average $65-$75 a barrel.) However, because the legislator set the budget so low anyways, we aren't going to see any overages.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Well, they're not wrong.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

So apparently there's a fresh new attack on Planned Parenthood by the state of Texas, trying to deny them funding based on the bullshit videos? Is this straight from the governor or some ambitious up and comer trying to ride the wave and make a name for themselves?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2015/10/19/texas-cancels-contracts-with-planned-parenthood/

Is Texas going to become increasingly right wing every year until something breaks? With the elected representatives moving in the direction of Cruz, Gohmert, and Abbott etc. I don't see any signs of it letting up in the near future.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Zwabu posted:

So apparently there's a fresh new attack on Planned Parenthood by the state of Texas, trying to deny them funding based on the bullshit videos? Is this straight from the governor or some ambitious up and comer trying to ride the wave and make a name for themselves?

Is Texas going to become increasingly right wing every year until something breaks? With the elected representatives moving in the direction of Cruz, Gohmert, and Abbott etc. I don't see any signs of it letting up in the near future.

Yup.

zoux posted:

HHS is blocking Medicaid funds to Planned Parenthood

It's just over $3 million in funding, I don't know what percentage of PP's annual state budget that is.

CommieGIR posted:

Several quotes are saying that Texas legislators are simply saying that its a red herring and most patients will go to dedicated providers, which is laughably false because PP is specifically targeted at those that cannot afford that.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Zwabu posted:

That's the hosed up thing: The state economy is still doing pretty well and there doesn't seem to be any end in sight for it. Our insane tea party senate didn't manage to break anything too badly this time around, and the things they did gently caress up aren't affecting enough Texans to matter. The state is still doing really well in spite of their bullshit, so barring pictures of Dan Patrick putting his dick in a dead pig's mouth there isn't really anything that will motivate most Texans to get rid of the idiots.

Maybe if they passed some Arizona-level racist poo poo it might finally cause the massive population of non-voting Hispanic youth to the polls, which would be enough to swing statewide elections. There isn't much of hope of that right now (on top of the fact that the Hispanic population in Texas, outside of the Rio Grande Valley, is actually a bit more right-wing on average than they are in the rest of the country (this is the home of Senator Ted Cruz, after all).

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

e_angst posted:

Maybe if they passed some Arizona-level racist poo poo it might finally cause the massive population of non-voting Hispanic youth to the polls, which would be enough to swing statewide elections. There isn't much of hope of that right now (on top of the fact that the Hispanic population in Texas, outside of the Rio Grande Valley, is actually a bit more right-wing on average than they are in the rest of the country (this is the home of Senator Ted Cruz, after all).

If you're lucky, Donald Trump getting nominated will have the same basic effect.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Zwabu posted:

That's how it happened in California, yes.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

Technogeek posted:

If you're lucky, Donald Trump getting nominated will have the same basic effect.

Hispanic =/= immigrant

There is plenty of anti-immigrant sentiment in certain Hispanic communities due to reasoning like "My family came across legally" or "My family was already in Texas before it became part of the US". Hispanics are just as susceptible to FYGM-ism as everyone else.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Apparently Office of Inspector General investigators showed up for surprise inspections at PP offices in Houston, Dallas and San Antonio today:

quote:

SAN ANTONIO — State health investigators on Thursday served subpoenas for records at Planned Parenthood abortion clinics in San Antonio, Dallas and Houston, according to two people with knowledge of the investigation but who are not authorized to speak publicly about it.

Officials also visited a now-closed Planned Parenthood clinic in Brownsville, one of the sources said.

By law, money from the state and federal program cannot be spent for abortions.

State health investigators entering the Planned Parenthood clinic in San Antonio on Thursday morning declined to answer questions, referring inquiries to officials in Austin.

Here's PP's statement on it:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

karlor posted:

Hispanic =/= immigrant

There is plenty of anti-immigrant sentiment in certain Hispanic communities due to reasoning like "My family came across legally" or "My family was already in Texas before it became part of the US". Hispanics are just as susceptible to FYGM-ism as everyone else.

The trouble is that authorities and racist white people will use "brown = illegal immigrant until proven otherwise" there is no way to tell who is here illegally vs a legal immigrant, kids of legal immigrants, or even are a tejano who were here first. That makes the lives of those legally here hell and only those most blinded by their anger would take that deal.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

College Slice

Shifty Pony posted:

The trouble is that authorities and racist white people will use "brown = illegal immigrant until proven otherwise" there is no way to tell who is here illegally vs a legal immigrant, kids of legal immigrants, or even are a tejano who were here first. That makes the lives of those legally here hell and only those most blinded by their anger would take that deal.

Certainly. I can't justify their viewpoint, just pointing out it exists. It does make me wonder how much more prominent it is in San Antonio due to the majority Hispanic population (both civilian and LEO) creating a sense of security that they won't be racially profiled.

All I can really say is that as a resident of San Antonio I have met several Hispanics that hate Mexicans(an uncommon view, fortunately, but one that is out there).

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

This happened during The Great Depression, a couple million "Mexicans" were basically told to go back to Mexico. 60% of of them were US citizens.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

karlor posted:

I have met several Hispanics that hate Mexicans(an uncommon view, fortunately, but one that is out there).

It's bigger along the actual border with presumidos, and people who were literally dropped off US 83 a few weeks/months ago who now don't want anybody else making it over.

Tlacuache
Jul 3, 2007
Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head.

They've actually been doing this for a long time. Norway has this obsession with Texas cowboy culture, according to one of my friends. He got really angry when I showed him this because it was so poorly researched.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Is there a real difference between Texas' amendment bonanza and referendums other states often have or is it just potato-patato.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Roumba posted:

Is there a real difference between Texas' amendment bonanza and referendums other states often have or is it just potato-patato.

Arcane rules that require constitutional amendments for certain types of laws like ones that move around funding sources.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Apparently Anonymous made good on their threat to out KKK members.

If true this is a doozy.

http://m.dailykos.com/story/2015/11/02/1443426/-My-Senator-the-KKK-Member

Allegedly John Cornyn's name came out as some other prominent politicians. This could be very interesting if it can be verified.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's not true.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
So no evidence backing it up, just a list of names?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

So no evidence backing it up, just a list of names?

There was also a spooky video with a computer voice that said the names. The full leak is supposed to be out on 11/5.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

There was also a spooky video with a computer voice that said the names. The full leak is supposed to be out on 11/5.

If it's just a larger list of names without hard evidence, I doubt many media outlets will pick it up.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

zoux posted:

Well that's disappointing, I haven't had much time to look for the video itself. How much information could they be able to glean just from a twitter account anyway?

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Jiro posted:

Apparently Anonymous made good on their threat to out KKK members.

If true this is a doozy.

http://m.dailykos.com/story/2015/11/02/1443426/-My-Senator-the-KKK-Member

Allegedly John Cornyn's name came out as some other prominent politicians. This could be very interesting if it can be verified.

Yea, the current list out there is bullshit, and has been publicly disavowed by the official twitter account of this particular Anonymous operation.

Also, while I don't know John Cornyn I am friends with some of his close relations. He definitely has no klan ties.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

gently caress You gently caress You gently caress You gently caress You gently caress You

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7thOvSvC4E

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

gently caress You gently caress You gently caress You gently caress You gently caress You

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7thOvSvC4E

I voted early just so I could vote yes on this.

gently caress anyone who votes no.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Nov 3, 2015

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
What is Prop 1 in Houston for those that live in San Angelo?

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Talkc posted:

What is Prop 1 in Houston for those that live in San Angelo?

Equal rights ordinance. Basically "you can't fire people because they're gay"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

It also covers trans* folks as well which is what has the bigots losing their minds.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
From what they've said on the radio, I think it legalizes rape in women's bathrooms? I'm voting no, I don't know why anyone would support that.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

boom boom boom posted:

From what they've said on the radio, I think it legalizes rape in women's bathrooms? I'm voting no, I don't know why anyone would support that.

I really, really hope this is sarcasm, but this is so common that I'm really afraid it isn't.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

Bushiz posted:

Equal rights ordinance. Basically "you can't fire people because they're gay"

Man gently caress the people that vote no on that. Rusty sporks for all of them.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

thefncrow posted:

I really, really hope this is sarcasm, but this is so common that I'm really afraid it isn't.

Yes I also think poster boom boom boom thinks houston is passing an ordinance that legalizes rape.

Prop 1 is more than an LGBT thing, it protects lots of people, including, ya know, veterans and poo poo, but gently caress those guys I heard somwhere it lets men in bathrooms (because as we all know right now there's Toilet Cops in front of every bathroom checking your junk first).

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Good luck Houston, you're already ahead of most cities in trying to do good things.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
So I'm not entirely clear on some of the amendments up for vote here in Travis county. Here's my impressions so far. If something's off base, a correction would be helpful before I vote wrong.

Prop 1 - Seems like a typical attempt to use veterans as an emotional appeal to further reduce education funding. Voting no.

Prop 2 - A less specific version of 1. Ambivalent, but inclined to vote no on this too.

Prop 3 - No requirement legislators live in Austin? Sounds fair enough. Voting yes.

Prop 4 - Legalizing raffles for already overfunded sports "nonprofits"? gently caress that. Voting no.

Prop 5 - Privatization of small county infrastructure. Voting no.

Prop 6 - Vague "right to hunt" amendment. Seems like it's trying to create a precedent that would be used to destroy regulations like hunting seasons or restrictions on weapons allowed for hunting. Definitely voting no on this one.

Prop 7 - Dedicates certain taxes and fees to fund non-toll roads. On the one hand this would keep that revenue from being stolen for other things, but on the other hand the "non-toll" part sounds like an attempt to reduce funding to toll roads to make the tolls seem more necessary and funnel more profits to private owners. Not sure on this one.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Prop 1 is straight prop tax reduction (about $200-300 for the average homeowner), dunno where you're seeing the conspiracy here.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

An Angry Bug posted:

Prop 3 - No requirement legislators live in Austin? Sounds fair enough. Voting yes.

This also allows legislators to get away from the Travis County DA I believe, which matters a lot when our legislators are facing charges as frequently as the last couple years.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

This also allows legislators to get away from the Travis County DA I believe, which matters a lot when our legislators are facing charges as frequently as the last couple years.

Again, no, the law was changed so that the PIU is removed from the Travis County DA's office and placed at DPS specifically under the Texas Rangers. Prosecutions will take place in the officials home county.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

zoux posted:

Again, no, the law was changed so that the PIU is removed from the Travis County DA's office and placed at DPS specifically under the Texas Rangers. Prosecutions will take place in the officials home county.

Wow, I guess I was a low info voter then. I feel bad, and wonder how many thousands of people are going to the polls believing Houston's Prop 1 legalizes rape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

zoux posted:

Prop 1 is straight prop tax reduction (about $200-300 for the average homeowner), dunno where you're seeing the conspiracy here.
Property tax is an important source of funding for government services. I'd rather keep it high than cut funding for things that need it.

zoux posted:

Well now I'm confused, but voting no just in case.