Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
FH is such an interestingly designed area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I do find it kind of interesting how the only land-based bridge between Galbadia and Esthar territory doesn't have about 50000 soldiers from both sides staring each other down over a demilitarised zone.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
I would have prefered some more visible backstory for it. So the people live in the ruins of... ... of... uh. of. A solar power plant and a train station in the middle of the ocean, next so some rail switches?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Wipfmetz posted:

I would have prefered some more visible backstory for it. So the people live in the ruins of... ... of... uh. of. A solar power plant and a train station in the middle of the ocean, next so some rail switches?

it's not hard to imagine that the bridge came first, when Galbadia and Esthar were on better terms, and FH popped up in the middle as a settlement. the solar panels were probably installed by them for energy purposes.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Two Finger posted:

I do find it kind of interesting how the only land-based bridge between Galbadia and Esthar territory doesn't have about 50000 soldiers from both sides staring each other down over a demilitarised zone.

They probably had at some point at least on the Galbadian side. They'll got bored looking at nothing at some point and left,most likely. Esthar hasn't been aggressive or present at all since their war ended.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I don't know if it's made explicit, but I always felt that what we're told next up date explains how FH came about.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hymirvetr posted:

They probably had at some point at least on the Galbadian side. They'll got bored looking at nothing at some point and left,most likely. Esthar hasn't been aggressive or present at all since their war ended.

Actually thinking about it this does make sense and is explained.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Fisherman's Horizon was always my favorite city from FF. Midgar is cool, but who doesn't love a weird shanty town/power plant/fishing village in the middle of the ocean, potentially with its own rail line? Just thought it was really neat.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Kajeesus posted:

I don't know if it's made explicit, but I always felt that what we're told next up date explains _______

ff8.txt

Simply Simon posted:

No town would abbreviate itself just so you don't have to write as much text in the boxes,

While that guy just saying OH BY THE WAY WE CALL IT FH to a brand new visitor (so to speak) is a little awkward the idea of acronyms/initials for a place isn't so rare or unusual as to merit the level of hate here.

It's pretty common, actually. I can think of a lot in North America alone. As an example, I'm pretty sure if I said "I'm from LA" you'd know what I meant. Or, at least most Americans would probably know regional ones - depending on where you are "I'm going to NYC," "I was in STL the other day," "I'm going to head down to AC for some gambling," "I'm too lazy to make up more fake sentences for SLC, SF, NOLA, and so on"

plus BC in Canada and DF in Mexico and I'm positive they have many more that I don't know about. So North America, at minimum, has this poo poo on lockdown. :colbert:

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 22, 2015

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Psion posted:

"I was in STL the other day," "I'm going to head down to AC for some gambling," "I'm too lazy to make up more fake sentences for SLC, SF, NOLA, and so on"

I've never heard anybody refer to these places this way in speech, and just imagining it makes me want to punch them. That said, you're right that's it's true for some places, like LA or (Washington) DC.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Schwartzcough posted:

I've never heard anybody refer to these places this way in speech, and just imagining it makes me want to punch them. That said, you're right that's it's true for some places, like LA or (Washington) DC.

well, I have and I don't get overly aggressively mad about how people choose to refer to their cities :shrug:

besides, you think that's bad, wait until aviation nerds get involved. Then it's referring to cities by airport code. Do you know where YYZ is? You will soon :getin:

I'm sure part of it is a regional thing - I doubt people outside the midwest would get STL, people outside the east coast probably have no idea about AC, and same for west coast and SF. But either way - the concept is pretty widespread.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Psion posted:

ff8.txt

While that guy just saying OH BY THE WAY WE CALL IT FH to a brand new visitor (so to speak) is a little awkward the idea of acronyms/initials for a place isn't so rare or unusual as to merit the level of hate here.

It's pretty common, actually. I can think of a lot in North America alone. As an example, I'm pretty sure if I said "I'm from LA" you'd know what I meant. Or, at least most Americans would probably know regional ones - depending on where you are "I'm going to NYC," "I was in STL the other day," "I'm going to head down to AC for some gambling," "I'm too lazy to make up more fake sentences for SLC, SF, NOLA, and so on"

plus BC in Canada and DF in Mexico and I'm positive they have many more that I don't know about. So North America, at minimum, has this poo poo on lockdown. :colbert:

I live just outside Boston, in a suburb that is a city in its own right. However, if I tell someone that I'm going into the city, they know I mean Boston. (Honestly, you say "I'm going into the city" to most people inside 495, and ANYONE inside 128, downtown Boston is implied.)

The only other shortened version of Boston that is acceptable around here is "The Hub" (Look at it on a road map that shows out to 128 or 495)

TBH though Boston feels more like an amalgation of several smaller cities/towns. Which makes sense if you know its history of expansion.

[/derail]

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Psion posted:

well, I have and I don't get overly aggressively mad about how people choose to refer to their cities :shrug:

besides, you think that's bad, wait until aviation nerds get involved. Then it's referring to cities by airport code. Do you know where YYZ is? You will soon :getin:

It's here.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Psion posted:

I'm sure part of it is a regional thing - I doubt people outside the midwest would get STL, people outside the east coast probably have no idea about AC, and same for west coast and SF. But either way - the concept is pretty widespread.

I live in the midwest and have never once heard anyone call St Louis(which is what I assume it stands for) STL. DC and LA are generally the only ones I hear commonly, and I think that DC is mostly called that because calling it Washington would be confusing.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Khisanth Magus posted:

I live in the midwest and have never once heard anyone call St Louis(which is what I assume it stands for) STL. DC and LA are generally the only ones I hear commonly, and I think that DC is mostly called that because calling it Washington would be confusing.

It could be Seattle too. I've seen it used for both, but always in print, never verbally.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

FoolyCharged posted:

It could be Seattle too. I've seen it used for both, but always in print, never verbally.

I was assuming St Louis because he said no one outside the midwest would get it. I agree with the person saying that people using all these 2-3 letter abbreviations for cities in speech would make me want to punch them. Similar to people saying "lol" in speech.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Khisanth Magus posted:

I live in St. Louis and people do call it STL out loud sometimes. Deal with it, people love abbreviations. It's also the boston situation sort of in that St. Louis city is independent from its metropolitan area and yet people all the way down to farmington will just say "I live in St. Louis".

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
The punching urge is because pretty much all of these examples scream "someone trying to sound cool" rather than any actual spoken convenience. Most of these initialisms take just as long to pronounce as simply saying the city's name. If you live in/around the city, you can just say "the city" and everyone will know what you mean. If you live outside the area, the person your speaking to would have to spend mental time trying to translate your weird-rear end abbreviation into actual useful information, so you may as well have just said the real name in the first place and taken out the guesswork.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

FH has almost a Cosmo Canyon-y kinda feel to it, with the whole peace-loving vibe.

EDIT: I meant CC

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Psion posted:

I'm not an av nerd, but I've been to airports. Most of them have reasonable names, like CPH for the Copenhagen airport, or CDG for Charles de Gaulle International. I guess by the time Pearson International was established, all the good abbreviations were taken. :shobon:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Kajeesus posted:

I'm not an av nerd, but I've been to airports. Most of them have reasonable names, like CPH for the Copenhagen airport, or CDG for Charles de Gaulle International. I guess by the time Pearson International was established, all the good abbreviations were taken. :shobon:

Those are the IATA codes. The ICAO codes for Copenhagen and Charles de Gaulle are EKCH and LFPG, respectively.

And then for the US there's also FAA LIDs.

:spergin:

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
I wonder what spell Squall cast to cut the fishing line.

I hope it was Break

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
People totally call Atlantic City AC in New Jersey. STL is something ive heard, but not often and ive heard Atlanta called ATL before. NOLA is practically a word, and im in Port St Lucie now and people shorthand it to PSL all the time

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

When I lived in Columbia, SC (which for whatever reason I always called Cola), people constantly called Atlanta ALT. Also Jacksonville was JAX. Less an abbreviation, more a nickname, but whatever the gently caress. Also, I've often heard SLC for Salt Lake City. People shorten things in arbitrary ways.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

The sorta awkward initials thing is common for big cities, but it'd still be weird if you got off a plane at LAX and some dude was there to greet you like, "Welcome to Los Angeles, otherwise known as LA!"

But RPGs are kinda weird in the fact that we have to act like it's normal that our main characters are so ignorant of the world they live in. Like, of course everyone on the garden should've known about FH. They should've been freaking out about that collision from the moment Balamb set adrift. That'd be like if you were an American setting sail in the Pacific, then being flabbergasted when you run into this island and strange culture called, "Hawaii."

I guess this game does have limited communication throughout the world, but literally the first place you are in the game is a school, filled with older teenagers, presumably about to graduate. You'd think geography would be one of those classes an international mercenary group would have to pass.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Eh, it's easy to say I could do it better god knows how much later, but they could have easily had the guy just say something along the lines of "Welcome to Fisherman's Haven!" and then had Squall think "(So this is FH...)"

It would have accomplished the same goal of informing the player without the stilted delivery.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Welcome to the Final Fantasy VIII Let's Play!

In this thread, we call it the FF8 LP.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Welcome to the Final Fantasy VIII Let's Play!

In this thread, we call it the FF8 LP.

You seem to know rules different in this region. Let's post comments combining your rules and ours. (We call it SA).

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Dingbat cherry aardvark hello. Try advance?

Sorry... I think the Random rule was in effect when I wrote that. I'm going to hereby abolish it from the entire thread, because apparently I have the power to do that.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I really like the music here.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

FoolyCharged posted:

Eh, it's easy to say I could do it better god knows how much later, but they could have easily had the guy just say something along the lines of "Welcome to Fisherman's Haven!" and then had Squall think "(So this is FH...)"

It would have accomplished the same goal of informing the player without the stilted delivery.

That is a lot better.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

The_Frag_Man posted:

That is a lot better.

It might have been better before translation. Probably would have been hard to insert a transparent thought text box.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
FF8 definitely had some parts that were difficult to localize. The note about Timber Maniacs being abbreviated to "Tim Mani" screams "this made sense in Japanese."

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
It's the usual old game localization problem--they weren't given access to the right resources or given enough time or maybe there wasn't even enough space to easily allow for variable width fonts, inserting new text boxes, etc. So, instead, they have to match each line with the japanese byte for byte without going bankrupt. Sometimes they'll use compression techniques to get more out of it but you can only get so much that way, if you can't add new text boxes.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

i have a question

selphie is normally pretty competent but she really dropped the ball back in the missile base.

the win state is to alter the missile error rate and leave..... but at one point you're asked to move one of the missile launchers. wouldn't it be better for her to waste them right then and there, causing a 1/6th reduction in the amount of missiles fired? i get that they were trying to be stealthy and all but come on

'yep, squall, mission accomplished, we put the missiles in place to be launched but don't worry, we increased the chances they'll miss!'

'huh. maybe stop them being launched instead?'

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Kajeesus posted:

FF8 definitely had some parts that were difficult to localize. The note about Timber Maniacs being abbreviated to "Tim Mani" screams "this made sense in Japanese."

Im sad now we missed out on it being called "Fishy Ho"

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Two Finger posted:

i have a question

selphie is normally pretty competent but she really dropped the ball back in the missile base.

the win state is to alter the missile error rate and leave..... but at one point you're asked to move one of the missile launchers. wouldn't it be better for her to waste them right then and there, causing a 1/6th reduction in the amount of missiles fired? i get that they were trying to be stealthy and all but come on

'yep, squall, mission accomplished, we put the missiles in place to be launched but don't worry, we increased the chances they'll miss!'

'huh. maybe stop them being launched instead?'

Helping to move the missiles allowed them to destroy the entire base. If they'd taken the time to check and make sure that the Galbadian officer was dead, no missiles would have been launched at all. Sabotaging the error ratio was the backup plan. Note that both "Plan A" and "plan B" were made much easier by the use of stealth.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

yeah i guess that's true
just always seemed really weird to me

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Decus posted:

It's the usual old game localization problem--they weren't given access to the right resources or given enough time or maybe there wasn't even enough space to easily allow for variable width fonts, inserting new text boxes, etc. So, instead, they have to match each line with the japanese byte for byte without going bankrupt. Sometimes they'll use compression techniques to get more out of it but you can only get so much that way, if you can't add new text boxes.

I don't know how true it is but I heard they actually had to play through Japanese FFVIII to get the script for it.

I have read other interviews with Square translators of the time so this doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility. It wasn't until after Xenogears they really started giving proper support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Two Finger posted:

yeah i guess that's true
just always seemed really weird to me

Don't think about it.

• Locked thread