Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Tendai posted:

We need a PYF-made cookbook. Every recipe is just "I don't know, throw like... some of this poo poo in a pot, cook it for awhile. What the gently caress do you want, a narrative?" or some variation thereof.

As long as it's not the opposite extreme of the try-hard fancy poo poo like that infamous "we do it live" chili "recipe". Almost every recipe posted online seems to either try way too hard to be fancy, or try way too hard to be funny. Both are terrible and I'd rather just read an old cook book that doesn't gently caress around and gives you the drat recipe and nothing more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I hate advertising that offers what seems like a great deal then turns out to not actually be a deal at all. Yesterday I got an email from EB Games with the title 'Massive Price Drop on PS4's' which sounded great because I've been wanting to buy one but they're still a bit too expensive for my budget. So I open the email and it says 'PS4 now only $400 (when you trade in a 500gb slimline PS3)'. That's not a price reduction at all. That's just them deducting the trade-in credit from the normal RRP of a PS4 :mad:

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I have this recurring problem while driving where people keep yielding to me even though they clearly have the right of way. I guess it's better than the opposite problem, but it's just such an annoying waste of both my time and theirs. It's situations like someone reaching a 4-way intersection well before I do, so I stop and wait for them to go so I can make my turn or whatever. Instead they'll just sit there for half a minute until I notice them waving their arm out the window telling me to go on. If they'd just gone through the intersection since they had right of way we both would have been out of there already instead of staring at each other waiting for the other one to make a move.

The one that really gets me is on my way to work. The road I take merges into an off-ramp from the highway and you have to yield to traffic from the off-ramp. Typically I'll look to see if there's anyone in the way before I merge and if there is I'll slow down so traffic can pass and I'll slip in at the first opening, which, y'know, is how that road is intended to work. What keeps happening is some moron on the off-ramp will see me slowing down and they'll slow down too to try to let me pass. Then I'll slow down more to show that I'm yielding like I'm supposed to since I've got a big bright "Yield" sign in my lane, but the other guy just slows down more too. Soon enough I have to come to a full stop because I've reached the end of my lane and now I can't even merge if I want to because the moron is also at a full stop right beside me and all I can do is wait until he moves.

Could I be a more assertive driver? Sure, but that's beside the point. I follow the actual traffic laws and I'm tired of people wasting both my time and theirs, and making my drive needlessly more stressful, out of some attempt to be courteous or whatever. You have the right of way, people! Take it!

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
People who talk super loud on the phone. Specially in the office, you don't need to shout!!!!!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Murphy Brownback posted:

As long as it's not the opposite extreme of the try-hard fancy poo poo like that infamous "we do it live" chili "recipe". Almost every recipe posted online seems to either try way too hard to be fancy, or try way too hard to be funny. Both are terrible and I'd rather just read an old cook book that doesn't gently caress around and gives you the drat recipe and nothing more.

Were those the ones that were a photoset with text like "FUCKIN PUT THIS poo poo RIGHT IN HERE YEA REWARD YOURSELF WITH A FUCKIN BEER BECAUSE YOU'RE A COOL BRO gently caress PUSSY" because I'll take the faffery about someone's "maman" opening a patisserie in Breton over that any day.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Henchman of Santa posted:

The mods hate the IOSM thread so I'll just go here to talk about how much I hate that any date that appears in a moderately well-received movie becomes [Movie] Day everywhere. gently caress Back to the Future Day, gently caress October 3, gently caress Harry Potter's birthday, gently caress May the Fourth and EXTREMELY gently caress The 5th of November.
The 5th of November is an actual historical event though. :confused: Guy Fawkes (hence the name of that loving mask and yes, a real person) tried to blow the precursor of the British parliament the gently caress up in what became known as the Gunpowder plot.
E: and apart from the masks I've never seen people make V for Vendetta references on that day

Also the Back to the Future thing is literally one day, ever but I agree that I don't trust people to not take it too far.

AlphaKretin has a new favorite as of 22:47 on Oct 21, 2015

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Were those the ones that were a photoset with text like "FUCKIN PUT THIS poo poo RIGHT IN HERE YEA REWARD YOURSELF WITH A FUCKIN BEER BECAUSE YOU'RE A COOL BRO gently caress PUSSY" because I'll take the faffery about someone's "maman" opening a patisserie in Breton over that any day.

I know exactly what you're talking about and it haunts me.

Coleg-specific peeve: People who talk in class, or sit in the front and sit on Reddit or Youtube. I was trying to do a presentation today and I was clearly very nervous and these two idiots in the back are giggling about something on a computer and it's like, wow, thank you for making this so much worse for me.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

AlphaKretin posted:

The 5th of November is an actual historical event though. :confused: Guy Fawkes (hence the name of that loving mask and yes, a real person) tried to blow the precursor of the British parliament the gently caress up in what became known as the Gunpowder plot.
E: and apart from the masks I've never seen people make V for Vendetta references on that day
Oh man, it's calmed down the last couple of years but I ALWAYS get multiple "Remember, remember, the 5th of November..." statuses, a bunch of people watching V For Vendetta excitedly and in one case someone graffiti'd my college campus with it. I know it's a historical event, but none of these people would give a poo poo if it weren't for that movie.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

When people are trying to write a word like they're saying it slowly or extending it out, but they repeat the wrong letter, like "niccccce" or "niceeeee" instead of "niiiiiice".

Mountaineer posted:

I have this recurring problem while driving where people keep yielding to me even though they clearly have the right of way.

Similarly, it really annoys me when I'm walking somewhere and as I stop to wait for a car to go past so I can cross the road, the car also stops. Because now we've both stopped and I have to look around and assess what's going on because you're suddenly acting unpredictably and I don't want to get run over. If you'd just kept driving I'd have just crossed behind you and we'd both have been on our way quicker.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Oh man, it's calmed down the last couple of years but I ALWAYS get multiple "Remember, remember, the 5th of November..." statuses, a bunch of people watching V For Vendetta excitedly and in one case someone graffiti'd my college campus with it. I know it's a historical event, but none of these people would give a poo poo if it weren't for that movie.

Maybe this stands out as being a bit weird and noticable in the US but here in the UK it's pretty much business as usual for the 5th. When we were kids we used to sing 'remember remember' so those status updates wouldn't even be on my radar as as new fad. Plus Guy Fawkes Night/Bonfire Night is one of my favourite traditions because I love watching a straw catholic burn at the local school.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Lately, I think its capitalism. Thats my peeve.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Dr Scoofles posted:

I love watching a straw catholic burn at the local school.

Try Belfast in July, you would have a class time. However, Belfast in July is a huge pet peeve of mine.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
When water fountains are too cold! :argh:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Tendai posted:

We need a PYF-made cookbook. Every recipe is just "I don't know, throw like... some of this poo poo in a pot, cook it for awhile. What the gently caress do you want, a narrative?" or some variation thereof.

If it's pages of recipes like this

I'm down with a PYF cookbook

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
I hate when writers use non-verbal actions to indicate a character speaking.

"Yes," he smiled.

You can't smile a word.

"Yes," he said with a smile.

Or even: "Yes." He smiled.

And if anyone exclaims anything I just want to scream, although I'm not exactly sure why.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

artsy fartsy posted:

And if anyone exclaims anything I just want to scream, although I'm not exactly sure why.

Probably because it's overused and largely redundant in a language that has a punctuation mark explicitly dedicated to showing that exact thing!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Is "I don't hate Jews, I hate Zionists" the new "I don't hate black people, I hate n*****s?" Because if I see anyone else say that in the otherwise-moderate Muslim communities I go to online as an obvious effort to disguise their poorly-veiled anti-Semitism, I'm going to just lose my poo poo and start doing all-caps posts about how dumb they are.

(Please note, I exclaimed that :smuggo:)

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

artsy fartsy posted:

"Yes," he smiled.

You can't smile a word.

What if your mouth changes shape to form the word?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

artsy fartsy posted:

"Yes," he smiled.

You can't smile a word.

"Yes," he said with a smile.

Or even: "Yes." He smiled.

On a related note, I blame 50 ft ant for this: the word "snarled". It seemed like 75% of the sentences that guy wrote in his fake ghost posts were "he snarled."

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

See if you fuckers make me notice that in every book I read forever I will be so mad, she madposted.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Being expected to eat or partake in what everyone else got. I am reasonable on this, I think like say.... someone brings in a cake. Its vanilla with frosting. "Hey do you want some?" No thanks, ok nbd, move along.

But if they bring in their super special jalapeno double decker upside down strawberry meat cake, and you say no, you're a DICK for saying no their hard work.

Sometimes you just don't want to eat that/go there/try this/or listen to that and it doesn't make the person a dick. Lay off folks that aren't #yolo all the time, millenials.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Using unnecessary synonyms for talking in dialog is something they teach you in middle school, and you need to see dialog written by other people doing that poo poo to know better.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jastiger posted:

Sometimes you just don't want to eat that/go there/try this/or listen to that and it doesn't make the person a dick. Lay off folks that aren't #yolo all the time, millenials.
poo poo, in my case at my last job it was a goddamn 50-ish year old woman. I politely refused her weekly pizza and other greasy food (her husband runs a pizza shop) and the amount of sore-rear end that went on was ridiculous. It's not like I was all "naw you make poo poo pizza," I had stated that I was trying to lose weight.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

teenytinymouse posted:

Try Belfast in July, you would have a class time. However, Belfast in July is a huge pet peeve of mine.

if you want to see straw man burns, this thread is a pretty good place to start

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Jastiger posted:

It's cool I'm a millennial (also my pet peeve is the word "millennial" and general lumping of generations) and I have the palate of a particularly finicky 10-year-old.

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer

Tendai posted:

Is "I don't hate Jews, I hate Zionists" the new "I don't hate black people, I hate n*****s?" Because if I see anyone else say that in the otherwise-moderate Muslim communities I go to online as an obvious effort to disguise their poorly-veiled anti-Semitism, I'm going to just lose my poo poo and start doing all-caps posts about how dumb they are.

(Please note, I exclaimed that :smuggo:)

have you ever talked to a zionist. the whole concept of god given rights that extend only to a particular ethnic group is pretty repugnant

also a lot of zionists aren't even jews, just fundamentalist christians who are stoked for the rapture

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Similarly, a lot of Jews are not Zionists. Source: I am Jewish

But I get what you mean. Thinly veiled anti-Semitism is a problem that crops up when criticizing Israel, as does even less veiled Islamophobia that crops up when criticizing Palestine (not even just Hamas).

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
i have one jewish friend who hates the entire concept of israel, and another who lives there, and from watching them argue about it is really funny

comparing it to "i like black people but i hate n**********s" is kind of lovely, maybe a closer thing would be "i like black people but i hate the black separatism movement"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's kind of nuts how Israel turns otherwise progressive Jews into right-wing lunatics. My Facebook got super Islamophobic out of nowhere last week, and the one person standing with Israel who didn't turn it into "Muslims want to kill us!" dropped a loving #AllLivesMatter on her status about it. I almost said something but she got legit mad at me for making fun of adult Harry Potter fans so I sure as poo poo wasn't gonna touch that issue.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
The way the Regular Car Reviews guy talks. Mike Birbiglia does it, too. They sound like they're constantly straining at a poo poo.

KoB
May 1, 2009
My mom shared a thing on facebook basically telling people instead of giving gifts/etc big christmas thing they should downsize and just spend time with their families and stuff.

Last year she broke down crying after we tried to get her to downsize christmas.

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
What is it with moms and big christmas

My mom did the exact same thing 2 years ago, but eventually capitulated, to the immediate and huge relief of my whole extended family, most of whom are having kids and buying houses and have no money. Then she sarcastically complained about small Christmas for the whole thing. She even passive-aggressively bought a really tiny lovely Christmas tree and set it on a little table way in the corner, and threatened to serve Bread and Water for Christmas dinner

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

im full of poo poo posted:

have you ever talked to a zionist. the whole concept of god given rights that extend only to a particular ethnic group is pretty repugnant

also a lot of zionists aren't even jews, just fundamentalist christians who are stoked for the rapture
I suppose it's more context than anything else. The level of barely-disguised anti-semitism in what seemed on the surface to be moderate/progressive Muslim communities is loving staggering and also making me remember why I stopped going to them a decade ago.

KoB
May 1, 2009

im full of poo poo posted:

What is it with moms and big christmas

My mom did the exact same thing 2 years ago, but eventually capitulated, to the immediate and huge relief of my whole extended family, most of whom are having kids and buying houses and have no money. Then she sarcastically complained about small Christmas for the whole thing. She even passive-aggressively bought a really tiny lovely Christmas tree and set it on a little table way in the corner, and threatened to serve Bread and Water for Christmas dinner

Mine made an agreement with all her brothers to not send gifts to each other and then sent them all gifts.

e: this was at least over 5 years ago at this point. Maybe more. I dont think she ever stopped.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

KoB posted:

My mom shared a thing on facebook basically telling people instead of giving gifts/etc big christmas thing they should downsize and just spend time with their families and stuff.

Last year she broke down crying after we tried to get her to downsize christmas.

My mother used to have toddler type break downs, walking around the house crying and yelling that nobody loved her because none of us would come spend 6 hours decorating the entire house in kitschy Christmas crap with her. Or play bridge with her instead of watching holiday cartoons. Hell, she once locked herself in her room screaming and crying about how Christmas forever and ever was ruined because I couldn't fake being happy to receive nothing but several massive giftbaskets of body wash crap and an electric toothbrush. Her fault though, she knew that I have perfume allergies :downs:

Holidays turn sane people stressed and crazy people crazier. They should just do away with all of this stupid Christmas poo poo since it's a holiday that exists purely for gift giving and chowing down on grandma's lovely dry rear end turkey at this point.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Holidays turn sane people stressed and crazy people crazier. They should just do away with all of this stupid Christmas poo poo since it's a holiday that exists purely for gift giving and chowing down on grandma's lovely dry rear end turkey at this point.

My entire family has fast developed a silent hatred for Christmas because inevitably some huge drama shitfest or horrific medical crisis happens around it. Every god drat year. This year we've resigned ourselves to not bothering with a tree or anything, we're going to meet up, give each other giftcards or something and just go the gently caress out to see a movie before anything can go wrong. God bless the holidays or something.

My favorite pet peeve are entirely unhelpful clients. Someone asks me to design something for them, every idea gets rejected. No reasoning behind it, no suggestions to improve them not even vague ideas. Just "No. No. That's stupid. I don't like that." :argh: It's near impossible to make something you do like if you're absolutely unwilling to tell me anything about your preferences you rear end in a top hat, give me something!.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I love Xmas, but it's just me and my mom, and the gifts are rarely a surprise. But it's still fun and small. I don't think I have time this year but next year I want to put up a Cat Xmas Tree.

Peeve: people who leave poo poo Yelp reviews, or bad reviews in general, about something the person/business in question has limited to no control over. Oh, this store gets 0 out of 5 stars because the line was 5 carts deep and only two registers open and a third would not magically open on Xmas loving Eve? This seller gets a bad rating because the box was lost in transit? No. Just no.,

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I hate holidays with my mother's family because they're all loving crazy.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

People doing things because of "tradition". If that's the best reason you have for doing something, you should probably stop doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

People doing things because of "tradition". If that's the best reason you have for doing something, you should probably stop doing it.

Stop stealing my posts Tiggum :mad: